Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I don’t think anything in BF2 and Operation Cinder directly contradicts the sequels. And a lot of that was done coordinating with the Lucasfilm story crew.

The more I think about it, the more I think the new-canon embargo was on the Prequel->Episode IV timespan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Actually I'm curious if there is a specific directive to avoid doing anything in the same timeframe as the original trilogy, or if it's just always been "but we can see what happened in a different time!"

They've done lower profile EU stuff in that period but I think they don't know what to do about Luke, Han and Leia in live action and so are avoiding the possibility.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dr.Radical posted:

Iirc the “story” was just a string of “The empire makes warp engines here. Destroy the factory!” “Oh no, the empire is attacking a rebel base. Give support!” type things. And maybe Wedge shows up

Which is why they should make TIE fighter

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

if it's just always been "but we can see what happened in a different time!"

This is how I think they are doing it. Another time cuts a wide runway.

There's just so many stories you can have happening off to the side or even directly tied to the OT events and it frustrates me as a fan that they don't want to deal with it. The funny thing is that you can tell so many stories that you run into too many options but that they don't really make enough sense to commit to it. I'd love to see a story about a mutiny on a Star Destroyer and the crew trying to defect with it. But you'd be crazy to try that as a movie.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They've done lower profile EU stuff in that period but I think they don't know what to do about Luke, Han and Leia in live action and so are avoiding the possibility.

it’s a big fuckin galaxy just set it on the other side of wherever the goober squad is

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah just have the series set just pre New Hope and have it about one of the other squadrons. Or just after and ditto. The Rebellion obviously had a fairly large cadre of fighter pilots and craft, lots of potential stories there.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Sash! posted:

I just want Top Gun in Space. How is that an insurmountable request?

yes

because as soon as topgun 2 came out disney "cancelled" the Rouge Squadron movie because it had the exact same script, old pilot (wedge) too old for this new war teaching the newbies how to do yet another deathstar trench run

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I wish that bigoted meathead hadn't killed off the Rangers series.

All the old school pilots in the middle of nowhere, solving people's problems, shooting the bad guys.

Airwolf meets A Team. In space.

With Zeb.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

drunkill posted:

yes

because as soon as topgun 2 came out disney "cancelled" the Rouge Squadron movie because it had the exact same script, old pilot (wedge) too old for this new war teaching the newbies how to do yet another deathstar trench run

A side-story about other pilots involved in star killer base.

There's a scene where they do a training mission in a canyon, and the hot shot youngins are all like "it's a Space ship :smug:" and don't respect the idea of a third trench run and then we see they blew up some critical here-to-for-unmentioned part in TFA's starkiller thing.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

HootTheOwl posted:

There's a scene where they do a training mission in a canyon
Oh hell yeah.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I wish that bigoted meathead hadn't killed off the Rangers series.

All the old school pilots in the middle of nowhere, solving people's problems, shooting the bad guys.

Airwolf meets A Team. In space.

With Zeb.

Was she really that crucial to it that they couldn't just stick someone else in there? Her acting abilities were like mediocre at best.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Wanted: Big muscly woman with a nimble sliver tongue, must be open to trans women.

These casting calls write themselves

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

banned from Starbucks posted:

Was she really that crucial to it that they couldn't just stick someone else in there? Her acting abilities were like mediocre at best.

You wouldn't think so, but here we are.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

There's a rumor that Bob Chapek forced Kathleen Kennedy and Kevin Feige to announce stuff at the Investor Day presentation regardless of how far down the development path it was. So it's quite possible they never had a strong handle for what the show was going to be and axed it the first convenient moment.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

drunkill posted:

yes

I'd blame the cancellation much more on Wonder Woman 1984, by the director slated for Rogue Squadron. WW84 sucked and looks to have done real damage to Patty Jenkins' career. It was a bad story, poorly directed. Jenkins had producer, director, story, and screenplay credits on it, and when you have that much control and you put put a train wreck like that, projects get cancelled.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Media executives are extremely wedded to the theory of star power. IMO Rangers wasn't a show concept that they put Gina Carano in, it was a show concept they created to use Gina Carano

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
They should make a new character for Rangers that’s basically Gina’s character but cast Rhea Ripley and I guarantee it will have the biggest female audience a SW show has ever had

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

They should make a new character for Rangers that’s basically Gina’s character but cast Rhea Ripley and I guarantee it will have the biggest female audience a SW show has ever had

I think the case could be made for Frankie Adams, as well.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
gently caress it, get em both

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I have no idea who that is, but i looked her up and if she can act even 25% better than Carano, get that tree trunk in Star Wars. She'd be a great replacement.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Madurai posted:

But....we need her schedule to be open for when The Expanse comes back right?

Right? :unsmith:

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
It'll be back in 2051 for the sake of accuracy

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I have no idea who that is, but i looked her up and if she can act even 25% better than Carano, get that tree trunk in Star Wars. She'd be a great replacement.

That's probably not hard. I'm not sure how people looked at Carano's performance and thought with their entire brain "yes, we can hang a series around her."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Madurai posted:

She's gotta play grown up Omega :colbert:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

That's probably not hard. I'm not sure how people looked at Carano's performance and thought with their entire brain "yes, we can hang a series around her."

I liked the character and thought the performance was adequate, but being the main character in a series would have been a heavy ask. I figure the series was never going to happen anyhow because that exact reason.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Executives looked at her non-Star Wars fan base, because Star Wars fans will watch anything. Acting ability has nothing to do with it.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Madurai posted:

But....we need her schedule to be open for when The Expanse comes back right?

Right? :unsmith:

As someone that is currently working their way through The Expanse, the emotional whiplash of going from :hellyeah: to :negative: reading these two posts was absolutely brutal.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Frankie Adams should stay far away from Star Wars lest she get completely wasted like the other Expanse alum.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm not sure how they'd fit Frankie Adams getting wasted into an episode of Star Wars but I'd be interested to see.

I imagine her royally loving up a cantina.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

I'm not sure how they'd fit Frankie Adams getting wasted into an episode of Star Wars but I'd be interested to see.

I imagine her royally loving up a cantina.

When was the last time they destroyed a Cantina?

...Then I remembered Book of Boba Fett

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Dawgstar posted:

It worked for Dollhouse.

All you need is for every single other actor to be amazing good at their jobs to make up for the main actor being a lump of wood with a face crudely drawn on it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It worked for Dollhouse.

All you need is for every single other actor to be amazing good at their jobs to make up for the main actor being a lump of wood with a face crudely drawn on it.

Enver Gjokaj/Victor was amazing. But Eliza Dushku could hardly carry a regular show, let alone one where the whole point is that you're supposed to be able to cycle through a variety of different roles

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It worked for Dollhouse.

Remember when Gal Gadot was so singularly incapable of emoting or doing accent work that the real actors in her comic movie had to step up and emulate her delivery as the official Amazonian accent?

Hellworld option is she's the Cara Dune recast.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

She was rough on Death on the Nile

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
The first episode of mando season 4 should just have Cara Dune get shot with a gun that turns her from Gina Carano into Tessa Blanchard and then it’s never spoken of again

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

Remember when Gal Gadot was so singularly incapable of emoting or doing accent work that the real actors in her comic movie had to step up and emulate her delivery as the official Amazonian accent?

Getting into the weeds a little but it's fascinating watching Gadot devolve as an actor with each film and she didn't exactly start high up to begin with.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Hellworld option is she's the Cara Dune recast.

wait is there a write up/article about this anywhere that's fascinating and i would like to know more!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

aBagorn posted:

wait is there a write up/article about this anywhere that's fascinating and i would like to know more!

In fairness I'm just inferring it from the performances we've seen on screen and everything else she's been in.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
They should bring back the actress who played the swoop gang leader in Solo. She seems pretty OK. I'd watch her kick people in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

404notfound posted:

Enver Gjokaj/Victor was amazing. But Eliza Dushku could hardly carry a regular show, let alone one where the whole point is that you're supposed to be able to cycle through a variety of different roles

I will go to my loving grave saying that Enver Gjokaj is one of the best actors of the last 30 years and every time I see him onscreen he's just woefully underutilised.