Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Cabbages and Kings posted:

It's about to be ski season but I'd prefer to not have a heart attack, is there any guidance there other than "wait a month from when you weren't sick anymore to do any hardcore cardio"?

To be clear, it isn’t hardcore cardio after a month. It’s a graded return to cardio as tolerated. As I recall it would look like a two mile walk at 20 min/mile, with a day off between. Sorry about your season, but at least if you are cautious you might be able to enjoy future seasons?

Precambrian Video Games posted:

A double dose of NYT takes because I hate myself enough to read them, starting with the more reasonable:

I think it could have done more to emphasize how material conditions are not even "back to pre-pandemic" let alone "better than ever", but a NYT article acknowledging basic facts is enough for me to give credit grading on a curve. Meanwhile, advice on staying safe in the forthcoming winter surge is less commendable:

I hosed up and hit reply before finishing phone posting and pasting the rest of this but whatever. It's from October, what was even updated today? Hell, it could have been from October 2021. Why are we quoting reliable sources like Al-Aly but telling people to wash their hands to avoid getting covid and that planes are probably safe after boarding? You can get paxlovid for how many more weeks now before the remaining stockpile gets yeeted into blast furnaces? Whatever.

Yeah I wonder why everyone is so gloomy. Can’t be because of the novel plague that gives people depression and anxiety, so let’s look for something else!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

Also they're asking MPs with active COVID to vote in parliament. :rubby:

Getting more brain damage to throw another xenophobic vote :denmark:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TehSaurus posted:

Yeah I wonder why everyone is so gloomy. Can’t be because of the novel plague that gives people depression and anxiety, so let’s look for something else!

CDCishly: eighty percent of depressed individuals owned dogs.

CDC prescribes adopting a cat.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Platystemon posted:

CDCishly: eighty percent of depressed individuals owned dogs.

CDC prescribes adopting a cat.

that sounds like a cdc level understanding of causality, yeah

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Failure to protect: COVID infection control policy privileges poor-quality evidence

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/goblinkatie/status/1732523634336432247

https://twitter.com/theegoosegirl/status/1732105383421018367

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Get Pax post Pax.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Next thing you know we’ll be basing health policy on letters from airline CEOs.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If someone ran a poll question asking if someone thinks covid just disappeared I wonder what percentage of people would answer yes. I bet somewhere between a third and a half.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Yeah took me a while to figure out why people weren’t masking at a Paxlovid convention. Man the brain is broke.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pingui posted:

Get Pax post Pax.

Get pax if you poz for post-Pax pox, post haste!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Honestly I don’t see the point of tweets like that anymore. Of course you were exposed to COVID at the convention. And at the hotel. And on the flight there. And at the restaurants and bars you went to. You don’t need to actually have knowledge of someone popping positive to know that.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Yeah took me a while to figure out why people weren’t masking at a Paxlovid convention. Man the brain is broke.

lol, thoroughly owned by reality.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the refusal to say/print the word "covid" is insane

it has absolutely worked in erasing covid from people's minds. watching the realtime deployment of language in such an obvious way to shape thought has been something incredible to see.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

... I was requested to not mask (?)

Well that explains why you went along with it at least. I was going to say 'didn't question it' but apparently they did exactly that amount of thought.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Thoguh posted:

Honestly I don’t see the point of tweets like that anymore. Of course you were exposed to COVID at the convention. And at the hotel. And on the flight there. And at the restaurants and bars you went to. You don’t need to actually have knowledge of someone popping positive to know that.
about half the people walking around don't think covid exists anymore

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

we got an email from our school district in august saying don’t talk to us about covid we don’t care anymore

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

euphronius posted:

we got an email from our school district in august saying don’t talk to us about covid we don’t care anymore

If it makes you feel any better, by being honest about COVID your school district has one of the best COVID responses in the US :)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Post-Pax pox poz? Pop Pax pills.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Thoguh posted:

It's almost 2024 and most of the American population still doesn't understand that people can have COVID and spread it everywhere they go without displaying symptoms.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the refusal to say/print the word "covid" is insane

it has absolutely worked in erasing covid from people's minds. watching the realtime deployment of language in such an obvious way to shape thought has been something incredible to see.

I've been trying to come up with a good way to describe the tortured linguistics behind the phrase "triple-demic of flu, covid, and RSV" and I think the best example I can come up with is "Squeaky Fromme was charged with carrying an unlicensed handgun, attempted presidential assassination, and unlawful entry."

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

[Pestilence]: Get pax if you poz for post-Pax pox, post haste!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Regarding COVID-19, please know, currently we are not following any specific protocols (i.e. required masking, distancing, isolating periods), nor are we asking families to report positive cases to the district. We now look at COVID as an endemic, not a pandemic, due to the Pennsylvania Department of Health’s expiration of the federal Public Health Emergency (PHE) declaration. The district will treat COVID-19 as an upper respiratory illness and follow our traditional protocols related to fevers as a consideration for sending students home and returning to school. Masking remains a personal option for any student or employee.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Some genuinely and surprising good news. Test to treat is being expanded to cover flu as well.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/home-test-treat-program-extends-nationwide posted:

Home Test to Treat program extends nationwide
Program now offers testing, telehealth and treatment for COVID-19 and flu.
(..)
With its expansion, the Home Test to Treat program will now offer free testing, telehealth and treatment for both COVID-19 and for influenza (flu) A and B. It is the first public health program that includes home testing technology at such a scale for both COVID-19 and flu. The program initially will provide the LUCIRA® by Pfizer COVID-19 & Flu Home Test, the first U.S. Food and Drug Administration-authorized test that can detect both viruses in a single test at home.

For those indicated, treatment must begin within a limited window from onset of symptoms, underscoring the importance of continuity of care, from diagnosis to treatment. In addition, providing these services virtually, while individuals remain at home, is intended to expedite the time to treatment and the convenience of accessing services virtually from home.

Any adult (18 years and older) with a current positive test for COVID-19 or flu can enroll to receive free telehealth care and, if prescribed, medication delivered to their home. Adults who do not have COVID-19 or flu may enroll and receive free tests if they are uninsured or are enrolled in Medicare, Medicaid, Veterans Affairs health care system, or the Indian Health Services. If recipients test positive at a future time, they can receive free telehealth care and, if prescribed, treatment.

Visit Home Test to Treat(link is external) for more information. Home Test to Treat is operated under a NIH/ National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB) contract with VentureWell, with a subcontract to eMed.
(..)

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I love how COVID doesn't exist anymore in most of America but suddenly we have a year-round "allergy season" for the past 3 years.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

‘baby! great news! Alexander Hamilton middle school in fuckme, PA says covid is endemic!’

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

euphronius posted:

an endemic

:psyduck:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ikr

what can you do

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
"An endemic" what though!!!!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I got this year’s mrna booster back in early oct. Has it been long enough to go get novovax?

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Anne Whateley posted:

Iirc early on there was a huge pdf about rehabbing D1 athletes, which is probably overkill for most goons, but a little princess treatment is nice, for a functioning heart. I can’t find that now, but there’s this
https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.m4721

These scales are always kind of weirdly ambiguous to me. Is a 20 maximal exertion the most I'd do normally? Is it I'm definitely going to feel sick tomorrow? Is it I am tearing my body apart and possibly even dying trying to get through a life or death scenario?

After quickly looking stuff up on some patient side physical therapy sites: the CDC description which is the first result is unhelpful here, but some sites suggest an 18-19 is the most that most people have experienced, and a 17 is the point of longer forms of fatigue or concentrated acute effort like extended full sprints. A lot of the discussion also centers around heart rate (multiply each number by 10 for a corresponding heart rate in the middle of an exercise for a healthy 20 year old, scale the multiplier down a bit with age) rather than other longer forms of physical fatigue. Perhaps the heart rate aspect is more useful here for cardiovascular diseases or even for the scale in general? But in any case, that at least it gives me an idea of what they're going for and how my subjective idea of exertion might line up with the scale.

For reference for the other end of the scale, examples of "6" I saw proposed were things like "laying in bed awake" and "sitting down", and "7" is like "standing up but still". Having people take 7 days after symptoms dissipate to do basically nothing more strenuous than a slow walk seems like ambitious amount of non-productivity for most people, especially if they weren't in the hospitalization or acute cardiac symptoms groups.

Suzera has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Dec 7, 2023

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

euphronius posted:

ikr

what can you do

:negative:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Suzera posted:

Having people take 7 days after symptoms dissipate to do basically nothing more strenuous than a slow walk seems like ambitious amount of non-productivity for most people, especially if they weren't in the hospitalization or acute cardiac symptoms groups.

The good news is that nobody is being expected to do anything at all,,, and most are knocking it out of the park!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Nobody cares about Covid anymore and it's kinda fascinating to me because I can certainly see the subtle impact Covid is having on everything. Not the obvious thing but the smaller things.

Like on Tiktok, I follow several young fitness and weight lifting creators that produce videos for their young audiences. Lately they've been making more and more videos on exercises for weak knees, how to alleviate back pains, ways to reduce pain in your feets and strengthen your hips. Ya know... old people common problems.

Also been seeing a awfully lot of advertising that's targeted to younger folks for blue chews, and other ED medicines. Hair growth medicines for hair loss too as well. It's almost as if there's something that's going around aging our population on the cellular level, what could it be? :thunk:

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Four days post-party and I'm going to run a Cue test on myself. Based on all the above discussion should I throat swab, or nose, or both on one swab (and in what swabbing order)?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

If you don't mind putting snot in your mouth, the order you do a swab shouldn't matter. (Everyone always say do throat then your nose)

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Even knowing that, thanks to post-nasal drip, my nose and throat mucus are identical, I still do not want boogers on my uvula. But, I would take it for the team if it worked better.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Suzera posted:

For reference for the other end of the scale, examples of "6" I saw proposed were things like "laying in bed awake" and "sitting down", and "7" is like "standing up but still". Having people take 7 days after symptoms dissipate to do basically nothing more strenuous than a slow walk seems like ambitious amount of non-productivity for most people, especially if they weren't in the hospitalization or acute cardiac symptoms groups.

yes, that's the point. society and our dipshit oligarchy doesn't permit people to adequately recover.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I feel like I’m seeing a ton of hair loss stuff for women. Some of it is probably the algorithm being rude to me personally, but telogen effluvium after covid is absolutely real and widespread

Suzera posted:

Having people take 7 days after symptoms dissipate to do basically nothing more strenuous than a slow walk seems like ambitious amount of non-productivity for most people, especially if they weren't in the hospitalization or acute cardiac symptoms groups.
I agree that in reality, pretty much everyone who’s able to is going to be doing at least phase 2 (light household tasks) even during covid.

NeonPunk posted:

If you don't mind putting snot in your mouth, the order you do a swab shouldn't matter. (Everyone always say do throat then your nose)
Yeah it’s 100% because we all don’t want to eat snot. If you want to, you do you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

TehSaurus posted:

To be clear, it isn’t hardcore cardio after a month. It’s a graded return to cardio as tolerated. As I recall it would look like a two mile walk at 20 min/mile, with a day off between. Sorry about your season, but at least if you are cautious you might be able to enjoy future seasons?

I appreciate the concern, but, the complex spreadsheet the other person posted showed (lacking any symptoms) a potential return to usual baseline levels in a minimum of 5 weeks and of course all these ideas are extremely conservative compared to what the general medical establishement says :allears:

Mentioning skiiing was poor framing because it's a voluntary opulent thing. The way I ski involves less sustained cardio and not higher maximum heartrate, than "basic life as we live it": we chew through 750-1200 pounds of firewood some weeks, which needs to be moved multiple times; I paid a cousin to do this once and have been since keeping up on it as carefully as possible, but then on top of that, sometimes one of the kids does something unpredictable and I have to break into an absolute sprint and push myself into the 120-130 bpm range for some period of time until the situation is under control. That's not something I can outsource to anyone and "parenting" is probably literally my most significant exercise activity.

I've explained to the kids that poo poo like vigorous piggyback rides etc are off the table for a while, but it's the involuntary, daily stuff that's pushing me back towards "usual levels of activity" before I'd like to be there. Fortunately for me, aside from skiing, all my hobbies and my work is quite sedentary.

Suzera posted:

It's literally impossible for huge groups of people that include people whose employment and cashflow needs prohibit it, to basically any parent of small children who can't afford to pay 24/7 help, and I am sure lots of other groups I am not thinking of.

That doesn't mean it's not going to have overall negative consequences for those groups :shrug: It was impossible to avoid even worse environmental lead poisoning than we have now for a long time, because people pumped it into their cars' fuel for years; this had catastrophic public health consequences. So, something being impossibly ambitious doesn't mean it wouldn't still provide a better outcome than what is pragmatically possible.