Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

Little Drummer Boy is absolutely the worst one though, like can we all agree on that? It's basically the theme song to Luanne's Manger Babies puppet show from King of the Hill.

It's specifically the worst one because Michael Jackson did a version. If there's anything less Christmassy than hearing a psychotic nonce singing about making a bed for Baby Jesus then please don't tell me what it is, because I'm happy in my ignorance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jedit posted:

It's specifically the worst one because Michael Jackson did a version. If there's anything less Christmassy than hearing a psychotic nonce singing about making a bed for Baby Jesus then please don't tell me what it is, because I'm happy in my ignorance.
You're saying a psychotic nonce is /un/christian?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Splicer posted:

You're saying a psychotic nonce is /un/christian?

I'm definitely saying that there's nothing less Christian than Christians.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
This makes me so sad. Patrick Warburton is voicing a character for a "show" on Dail Wire, Ben Shapiro's right-wing streaming service. Ever since Emporer's New Grove, hearing his voice in random projects was always an unexpected delight. Now I'll only be able to think of this poo poo.

Koburn posted:

ugh

I hope it's just a paycheck for Warburton and Riggle.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

This makes me so sad. Patrick Warburton is voicing a character for a "show" on Dail Wire, Ben Shapiro's right-wing streaming service. Ever since Emporer's New Grove, hearing his voice in random projects was always an unexpected delight. Now I'll only be able to think of this poo poo.

also Alonzo Bodden :/

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

majestic12 posted:

also Alonzo Bodden :/

Sad, but not terribly surprising. His Last Comic Standing sets were funny and generally steered clear of shithead conservative punching down humor, but they weren't all that far off. That was a long time ago and considering the trajectory the world's been on since then... yeah.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

It's Ukrainian, so it's positively jolly by their standards.

Speaking of, there's a very popular norwegian christmas song, Christmas Psalm From North Norway, that's all about how it sucks to live in northern Norway in the winter. It almost gets sarcastically when it gets to the last lines:
God's peace on the animals in the manger,
And this frozen and barren earth

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Don't Shoot Me Santa by the Killers is the best Christmas song of the modern era.

My fave is the No Doubt version of Oi to the World (the original is by the Vandals, not as fun imho)

Baron von Eevl posted:

Little Drummer Boy is absolutely the worst one though, like can we all agree on that? It's basically the theme song to Luanne's Manger Babies puppet show from King of the Hill.

I can't think of a non-modern song shittier than Little Drummer Boy, so you might be onto something there.

If we're including modern Christmas songs though, gently caress Christmas Wrapping a thousand times with the devil's pitchfork.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

YeahTubaMike posted:

My fave is the No Doubt version of Oi to the World (the original is by the Vandals, not as fun imho)

I can't think of a non-modern song shittier than Little Drummer Boy, so you might be onto something there.

If we're including modern Christmas songs though, gently caress Christmas Wrapping a thousand times with the devil's pitchfork.

If I could build a time machine and go back to the past, my first stop would be to kill the guy who wrote "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mister Kingdom posted:

If I could build a time machine and go back to the past, my first stop would be to kill the guy who wrote "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer".

I thought that song was the worst thing and then I saw part of the movie.

https://youtu.be/veqlTRgkRac?si=zvmf7DPjDqI3BDIY

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That movie is wretched. It should be murdered

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Think of it this way, the movie is predicated on the song, so no song, no movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s weird when there’s a half-hour animated holiday special that has no connection to an existing property. Charlie Brown I get, but things like Scary Godmother and Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer baffle me. Was it a pilot for something?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nah it's Christmas stuff. People make Christmas stuff because it sells. People like Christmas stuff and so it's an easy sell to the executives.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Plus Christmas stuff gets broadcast non-stop for over one month every year, that's residuals out the wazoo. I would love to know what percentage of Paul McCartney's fortune is thanks to Simply Having A Wonderful Christmastime (IMO one of the worst songs in the English language), I would bet it's shockingly large.

EDIT: Oh somebody actually did the math:

quote:

So just exactly how much money does the song generate per year?

"The song is what we in the industry call an evergreen, because it gets played all the time," explains entertainment attorney Bernie Resnick. "[McCartney's] publishing royalty check every fourth quarter probably has a lot of zeros on the end."

Another industry source puts the number in the $400,000-$600,000 range annually. By way of a back-of-the-envelope calculation, that means McCartney has seen about $15 million from the song since its release. That's a bit less than what McCartney earns in an entire year these days from royalties on songs recorded by himself and with Wings and The Beatles.

Rochallor has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Dec 7, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here in Australia we pretty much all grew up listening to the classic 80's Aussie Christmas song 'Hey Santa Claus' by Kevin Bloody Wilson which is :nws: because it drops a lot of c-bombs
:australia:

Doesn't get a lot of radio play tho
:thunk:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here in Australia

I’m so sorry

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't think I've heard that one but at least it's not Rolf Harris.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Splicer posted:

The first time each year my wife and I encounter christmas shoes in the wild we go listen to the patton oswalt sketch
https://youtu.be/iq10bz3PxyY

(Patton Oswalt bad but Christmas shoes worse)

This song made me cry as a child, run out into the room telling my family about it stuff, and my parents have ribbed me for it every Christmas for the past 30 years. After watching this I understand completely, and will show this to them, thank you

I never even realized the implied ruthless selfishness of the unnamed clerk still refusing the kid who did actually have some money. Zero spirit of Christmas in that man

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think I've heard that one but at least it's not Rolf Harris.

Slightly fewer molested children, significantly more extreme bigotry.

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

Mister Kingdom posted:

But then we would have never have gotten Spice Girls Got Run Over by a Reindeer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPbMD2dlqJs

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Golden Dragon posted:

But then we would have never have gotten Spice Girls Got Run Over by a Reindeer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPbMD2dlqJs

Well, thanks for the misogyny I guess?

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

Kwyndig posted:

Well, thanks for the misogyny I guess?

It's the right thread for it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I was disappointed that wasn't a mashup

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Since we're lambasting terrible Christmas songs, Tarja (former Nightwish lead singer) decided that we need an album of "dark" versions of holiday favorites. Imaginatively titled Dark Christmas.
Here. Enjoy dark Frosty.
https://youtu.be/Kix4fCr91p8?si=V_InedI_BFHa04Gt

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Meh, she's not exactly breaking new ground. Actual good dark (or darkwave, or goth,) Christmas music has been a thing for nearly 30 years.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq-EnWj1sLxH2kcybRsuKR7sna6GNGfaP

(Yes, I know it says 2021 Remaster. The original album dropped in 1995. I might even still have the CD somewhere. :corsair:)

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Rob Riggle is a former Marine so his Chud Turn didn't come as much of a surprise. Most vets I know and served with fall into that category.

Anyway this is a very geo-specific thing but the thread has me thinking about what might not have aged well from when I was a kid. Williams and Ree were billed as "The Indian and the White Guy" and they did a musical/comedy act that was fairly popular where I grew up. Their big schtick was that we are all the same, so it is fine to make fun of everyone! There is a lot to be said for satire done correctly, but I don't think this was always, if ever, that. I was a young, impressionable prarie lemur in South Dakota so I didn't know much better and really leaned into it as a kid/teen. If you can get through this 6 minute video, congrats I guess. I couldn't do it and I used to LOVE these guys. I try to be a better person now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t56ATFK_olI

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Flyinglemur posted:

Rob Riggle is a former Marine so his Chud Turn didn't come as much of a surprise.

I didn't realize it was a turn; I thought he was always a chud the whole time he was famous. This is like when Angela Lansbury died after I thought she'd been dead for several years. :ohdear:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

YeahTubaMike posted:

I didn't realize it was a turn; I thought he was always a chud the whole time he was famous. This is like when Angela Lansbury died after I thought she'd been dead for several years. :ohdear:

Sorry I guess I used a poor phrase. I was thinking more along the lines of just outing himself. My bad

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He first made his name on noted lib staple The Daily Show, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's somewhat of a turn, or even more likely he's just a guy who will take a paycheck from anyone.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He’s also been on Family Guy for over 20 years, his most unforgivable crime

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Who the gently caress is Rob Riggle? I even checked IMDB and despite seeing a bunch of stuff he was in, I still have no idea who he is.

oldpainless posted:

He’s also been on Family Guy for over 20 years, his most unforgivable crime

I didn't see anything about him being on Family Guy on IMDB, are you thinking of Patrick Warburton? They do look kinda similar at a glance.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He's a comedian who has a ton of background/one scene roles in comedies. Usually as a needlessly violent/stupid cop.

I wouldn't be surprised if it'd just a paycheck for him, his niche isn't exactly paying rent when hardly anyone is making those kinds of comedies anymore.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Randalor posted:

Who the gently caress is Rob Riggle? I even checked IMDB and despite seeing a bunch of stuff he was in, I still have no idea who he is.

I didn't see anything about him being on Family Guy on IMDB, are you thinking of Patrick Warburton? They do look kinda similar at a glance.

He's "that guy" from a ton of comedies over the past 20 years hope this helps

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Do any characters in media refer to the bathroom as the "little girls/boys" room any more? I feel like that used to be ubiquitous for some reason but I guess greater awareness of either child sex abuse or how stupid that euphemism was killed it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Randalor posted:

Patrick Warburton is another chud in the same series that was being discussed earlier, I think that poster just didn't see conversation switched to Riggle.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Rob Riggle is the guy who I keep getting getting confused with Ken Marino. You do too, you just don't realize it yet.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Enemabag Jones posted:

Rob Riggle is the guy who I keep getting getting confused with Ken Marino. You do too, you just don't realize it yet.

I always got him confused with Jason Jones, although I don't think Jason Jones and Ken Marino look anything alike

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I get Rob Riggle and Bobby Cannavale mixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Enemabag Jones posted:

Gross, no I don't. The state is too good to forget who Ken Marino is