Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Adobe (fairly radically) changed the interface in Adobe Acrobat, and now everybody at my workplace is freaking out about how they can't do anything.

It has almost the exact same exposed functionality, just now all the buttons are in different places.

I can't even figure out why they changed it. There's been almost nothing added to the program, and the old interface would have easily held what did change.

Some ergonomics firm made a couple million bucks, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Am I just too dumb to find the button, or did YouTube suddenly remove the ability for channels to link to other, related channels? That was basically the only way I found new channels to watch outside of friends telling me about things.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mirage posted:

Adobe (fairly radically) changed the interface in Adobe Acrobat, and now everybody at my workplace is freaking out about how they can't do anything.

It has almost the exact same exposed functionality, just now all the buttons are in different places.

I can't even figure out why they changed it. There's been almost nothing added to the program, and the old interface would have easily held what did change.

I dont know specifically about Adobe, but usually when a company does a big UI change, its either to patent the interface, or their old interface infringed on some patent

except Microsoft. gently caress Microsoft.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Dip Viscous posted:

Am I just too dumb to find the button, or did YouTube suddenly remove the ability for channels to link to other, related channels? That was basically the only way I found new channels to watch outside of friends telling me about things.

Further proof that peak internet was Friends/Links pages and webrings :cloud:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CanineBluesArooo posted:

Discord'sUI'updates'havealmostbeenuniversallyawful.Twicethey'vetriedtochangethewaychatisorganizedbyjustaddingatonmorewhitespace.Webdesignhasjustruinedeveryone'sbrainsitseems.I'manxiouslyawaitingaswingbacktoward'whatifweactuallymadethisfunctional'insteadofwherewearenow:"MaximumWhitespace.MoreWhitespace.Canyouaddsomemoreclickstothisprocessbychance?HAMBURGERMENUSEVERYWHERE"
MuchbetterIthinkwecanallagree.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Discord's UI 'updates' have almost been universally awful. Twice they've tried to change the way chat is organized by just adding a ton more white space.

Web design has just ruined everyone's brains it seems. I'm anxiously awaiting a swing back toward 'what if we actually made this functional' instead of where we are now: "Maximum Whitespace. More Whitespace. Can you add some more clicks to this process by chance? HAMBURGER MENUS EVERYWHERE"

Feels like this is how the people who develop our order handling system think too, I've told them in feedback to stop making things require more clicks, less clicks! Make more things available next to each other than hiding them in menus and new dialog windows. And make it more usable with keyboards and not so mouse dependent.

I am reminded of that video I can't find on youtube where some expert compared a modern order handling system with one made in the late 80s or early 90s that was keyboard only and just how much better designed and fast the old system was.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

Discord is the uncontested king of "new feature" pop ups. Thank you for logging in, please acknowledge this week's sprint by clicking 8 times.

MS Teams updated a week ago and since then it spams me with new feature announcements every single day. They appear to be invariably for features that were in the old version and are still located where you could always find them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

DrBouvenstein posted:

My girlfriend got on some list for Christian charities (not, like, a single charity called " Christian Charities" but several generic "Be a Good Disciple of Christ and give us money!" charities) and about 2-3 times a WEEK she gets some big envelope in the mail filled with return address labels, very Christ-y Christmas and get well soon/thinking of you cards, and other brick-a-brack. You'd think they would have more money to supposedly help the downtrodden they claim to help if they didn't pre-print and mail all this stuff BEFORE asking for a donation, but that would require them to be legit charities and not just fronts that try to guilt-trip the elderly.

I guess at least ONE is legit...or at least seems to be, about once a month she gets one from St.Jude's; but TBF I haven't looked into them and maybe they're as bad as the Susan G. Komen Foundation or something.

I donated to a wildlife charity foundation and they do the same thing. Just piles of mail outs every few months with gardening gloves and cards etc etc. I stopped donating because of it but they keep sending it out anyway. Just take my money and don't bother me again tia.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

steinrokkan posted:

MS Teams updated a week ago and since then it spams me with new feature announcements every single day. They appear to be invariably for features that were in the old version and are still located where you could always find them.

Have they added any useful features like doing literally anything to improve task delegation and review?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

steinrokkan posted:

I think it's the case of the algorithm determining random videos with a potential to blow up (maybe along with the channel if they are lucky) and brute-force shoving them into everybody's feed. I keep noticing that, a recommended video by a channel with 100 subscribers will have like 2k views , a week later it will show up again with 300k.

Interesting implications here if this is a conscious effort of Google/YouTube.

First, this probably just restates what you are saying, but ignoring the "potential to blow up" thing: maybe they're seeing if they can just force hits to occur. That is, I think it's more likely that they have no usable measure of what will make a video 'hot,' they're just seeing if they can make minor hits 'happen' by nobodies.

Second, by boosting newer content creators, they're giving them a nice carrot. I doubt Google can find the metadata formula for "video that will go viral," but I super-bet they can tell when a user has "worked hard" on a video, by analyzing their interactions with the portal (e.g., looking at their view count, maybe re-uploading a video multiple times which indicates re-edits, etc.). Give these hardworking folks a modest bump, and they'll be happy to crank out more content.

Third, they may also be testing the appetites of their users: if their favorite YouTubers sour and leave the site altogether, or just age out/give up on being YouTube content creators, can those same users be hooked by some other content? In other words, can we generate hit-makers faster than we lose them? If so, why treat them with any dignity or seriousness?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If life and the internet has taught me anything, it's that whatever the answer is, it's dumber and worse than you think.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

TBLALV posted:

Youtube keeps recommending me random video game LPs or something that were released only 3 days ago and have like, 400 views max, even though I haven't actually watched any video game related stuff in ages.

Pretty sure it's people who just pay for THE ALGORITHM to boost them

If someone cracked a way to pay for more impressions then you wouldn't be seeing them at only a few hundred views.

doctorfrog posted:

Interesting implications here if this is a conscious effort of Google/YouTube.

First, this probably just restates what you are saying, but ignoring the "potential to blow up" thing: maybe they're seeing if they can just force hits to occur. That is, I think it's more likely that they have no usable measure of what will make a video 'hot,' they're just seeing if they can make minor hits 'happen' by nobodies.

Second, by boosting newer content creators, they're giving them a nice carrot. I doubt Google can find the metadata formula for "video that will go viral," but I super-bet they can tell when a user has "worked hard" on a video, by analyzing their interactions with the portal (e.g., looking at their view count, maybe re-uploading a video multiple times which indicates re-edits, etc.). Give these hardworking folks a modest bump, and they'll be happy to crank out more content.

Third, they may also be testing the appetites of their users: if their favorite YouTubers sour and leave the site altogether, or just age out/give up on being YouTube content creators, can those same users be hooked by some other content? In other words, can we generate hit-makers faster than we lose them? If so, why treat them with any dignity or seriousness?

This is just what youtube has always done. Every big youtuber was a guy who had their stuff shown to new people when it only had a few hundred views at some point. I was one of those few hundred guys, suddenly I wasn't and was getting 10s of thousands, then (after a writer's block induced hiatus nuked me in the algorithm) I sometimes still get thousands and sometimes only get hundreds.

YouTube doesn't have a content creator problem, there's tons of people making high effort stuff that isn't being seen and there's tons of low effort stuff that some people will happily binge. The algorithm is just trying to figure out what will get someone to watch a bunch of ads and sometimes it decides to give smaller creators a boost just in case they have the potential to do well.

In short, it's just YouTube being YouTube.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The new discord mobile update sucks and made accessing DMs more cumbersome.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mirage posted:

That last update to Acrobat is truly awful interface design. It took me forever to figure out basic things because of the button layout didn't make any sense and they buried common functions.

Outrail posted:

I donated to a wildlife charity foundation and they do the same thing. Just piles of mail outs every few months with gardening gloves and cards etc etc. I stopped donating because of it but they keep sending it out anyway. Just take my money and don't bother me again tia.

I donate to MSF from time to time and now every couple of weeks I get phone calls from people to ask for more donations. On the plus side, I get it; it's hard work and pushing for donations is a good use of volunteer time when most people can't drop everything and go to a warzone. But thw calls get on my nerves and it's a lot harder to tell someone to gently caress off when they're calling because they actually need help and aren't just running a scam.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 7, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Atopian posted:

Significant roomba/grandma overlap then.

Roomba got run-over by a reindeer,
Picking up some coal dust, Christmas Eve.
You can say there's no such thing as Santa,
But me and the charging station, we believe.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Further Reading posted:

If someone cracked a way to pay for more impressions then you wouldn't be seeing them at only a few hundred views.

This is just what youtube has always done. Every big youtuber was a guy who had their stuff shown to new people when it only had a few hundred views at some point. I was one of those few hundred guys, suddenly I wasn't and was getting 10s of thousands, then (after a writer's block induced hiatus nuked me in the algorithm) I sometimes still get thousands and sometimes only get hundreds.

YouTube doesn't have a content creator problem, there's tons of people making high effort stuff that isn't being seen and there's tons of low effort stuff that some people will happily binge. The algorithm is just trying to figure out what will get someone to watch a bunch of ads and sometimes it decides to give smaller creators a boost just in case they have the potential to do well.

In short, it's just YouTube being YouTube.

I'll bet they can share less ad revenue with small creators they've artificially boosted...

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

big mean giraffe posted:

The new discord mobile update sucks and made accessing DMs more cumbersome.

I've never used discord so I have no idea if this works but I just scrolled past this on the front page of reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/18ccg8b/guide_downgrading_on_android/

Android only obviously. As far as I know apkpure is legit, i've downloaded from them more than a few times and never had a problem. Use an adblocker and I take no responsibility.

Edit: Figured I would add this, https://www.avira.com/en/blog/is-apkpure-safe

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 7, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vaccuum experience is going to vary based on pets in your house

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

euphronius posted:

Vaccuum experience is going to vary based on pets in your house

Yeah, I have a cat and short-haired dog, all hardwood floors and no carpet, and one single area rug, so I get away with a small, battery-powered Dyson.

But I didn't know the Dyson dude was a Brexit chud when I got it...but I PROBABLY should have assumed. I mean...is there ANY wealthy person from the UK who ISN'T some flavor or Brexiter, Chud, or TERF other than, I guess...Neil Gaiman and David Tennant?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Media just amplifies and promotes right wing people in general so it’s always hard to know

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Oh, I had a look at discord mobile thinking "it can't be so bad"

You're right, this sucks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why would you ever use it on a phone

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

euphronius posted:

To message my friends

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

euphronius posted:

I've spent a minute of so thinking about how to respond to this, everything from sincere reasons to memes, and I've just decided not to.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

euphronius posted:

:confused:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just lol if you don't have a active condenser mic on a giant boom arm with a custom microphone flag that has your name and logo on it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

euphronius posted:

I almost never use a real computer anymore except for work and everything outside of that is done on my phone including discord

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I've never been able to get the hang of text entry on a phone but I still have Discord on it so I can at least read notifications and then respond when I get home. Too bad even being able to do that is poo poo now.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Killingyouguy! posted:

To message my friends

it replaced every messaging app and texting in my various friend groups over the last 7 years

which makes it ripe for enshittifying - venture capital paid for it to be useful this whole time, and it is past time for them to collect

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
if you've got a mix of young and old friends, it means you have a melange of apps on your phone that you're always behind checking and responding to

i've got different group chats on: discord, facebook messenger, instagram, and texting

this is hell

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
how the hell do you people type on the phone. using the virtual keyboard sucks poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I talk to my friends with my voice

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
it's the same layout just use your thumbs and rely heavily on autocorrect. Writing this on my phone it had to fix 8 different words but I never had to backspace, make that 9 I just typed "baackspace"

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mozi posted:

how the hell do you people type on the phone. using the virtual keyboard sucks poo poo

The swipe method works pretty well.

On iPhone it’s called slide to type and I think it’s off by default. Once it’s on you just draw a line on the keyboard over all the letters in the word and it figures it out.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 7, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Eventually you train your autocorrect so much if you rely on it you can make a lot of typos and it comes out just fine. Like said above I probably have had like 12 or more typos writing this out but autocorrect just fixes it.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I think Imgur has the worst app text posting feature of anything I've ever seen. Anything you type starts to generate seemingly random word fragments in front of the cursor like the cursor is a snow plow. It requires stopping every few words to both check to make sure it didn't autocorrect anything to the left of the cursor into nonsense but also to delete the surplus letters generated to the right of the cursor. I've never seen anything like it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

StrangersInTheNight posted:

if you've got a mix of young and old friends, it means you have a melange of apps on your phone that you're always behind checking and responding to

i've got different group chats on: discord, facebook messenger, instagram, and texting

this is hell

Having push notifications from 5 different apps is functionally no different from having push notifications for 5 different sms conversations imo, still gotta just go through and respond one by one

Anyway Signal fixed a lot of this problem before they loving axed sms support smh

And yeah virtual keyboards are fine just trust the autocorrect. Having your keyboard do a little buzz with each key press helps with the lack of physical feedback

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Swipe to text has gotten worse. A year ago, I could swipe over the i and d and it would type I'd, but now swipe assumes I fat-fingered "is". No matter how precise I am, it misinterprets literally every other word. Still better than thumb typing, but a definite decline in quality. Whatever they did, it used to be so much better.

It doesn't even recognize my personalized turns of phrase anymore. I think the biggest problem is that aggregate data has corrupted the personalization. Whether it's ads, Facebook feed, YouTube recommendations, or autocorrect, my virtual life is no longer based on my own preferences. They're pushing what they want you to want, service be damned.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I used to type exclusively with SwiftKeys thumb mode bc my hands are tiny but then Microsoft hosed up the gap for no good reason

Why is it crooked! Why is it crooked!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

euphronius posted:

I talk to my friends with my voice

what the gently caress