Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I’m all but convinced Cassia is going to be a Camellia level trap of some kind.

I am still curious how anybody thought Camellia's whole thing was meant to be a surprise. Even the moment she first joins the party basically says she brutally murdered the guy she's standing over. Like, she was not subtle at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Schubalts posted:

I am still curious how anybody thought Camellia's whole thing was meant to be a surprise. Even the moment she first joins the party basically says she brutally murdered the guy she's standing over. Like, she was not subtle at all.

From what I hear, the playtesters were surprised at her being evil, and I have to wonder how subtle Owlcat was in the alpha and beta that they decided to just go whole hog in showing off how psycho she was. That said, unless they had to re-record her lines I would have thought even the densest playtester would have realized she was a Khornate who'd somehow found herself in Pathfinder.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Libluini posted:

Wouldn't most Eldar be exodites by population? The drukhari only have one city, there can't be that many of them

its a very large city

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Libluini posted:

Wouldn't most Eldar be exodites by population? The drukhari only have one city, there can't be that many of them

Much like quantum superposition, there are exactly as many eldar as you think there should be to tell a given story, otherwise they are extinct. Always getting the short end of the stick narrative and focus wise, which is a bit of a shame, they're pretty neat. That's true for most of the alien factions though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

It really depends on the Eldar. I don't think Biel-Tan Eldar think of humans as people, and the drukhari who are like 95% of Eldar just don't give a poo poo whether humans are people.

Biel-Tans been considerate enough to send diplomats to try to negotiate the release of cultural artifacts from imperial space before attempting violence to retrieve them before. It's one of those things where they are the most committed to remaking the Eldar as an empire and therefore have have the most warlike stance towards humans, but they're usually more focused on chaos and orks and have worked together before.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Sharkopath posted:

A Spanish tournament a year back or so had a player in fascist costume with nazi insignia on their army, and when players refused to play against this person, they (the protesting players) were disqualified according to tournament rules. It led to Games Workshop reclarifying affiliated tournament licenses and making a public callout statement that they won't tolerate Nazis in the hobby.

There's a reason everyone knows about that specific incident. One set of tournament organizers made a bad decision; there are literally thousands of that sort of event internationally every year. Most organizers already had explicit rules in their code of conduct that would have applied and the ones that didn't made them. It's not a thing that happened in the thousands of events before that debacle and it hasn't happened in the thousands of events since.

I don't like exaggerating this sort of thing because it gives the bad actors an exaggerated impact. If you want to play 40K at an event you should do so. You absolutely will not see anything like that. If someone does say something or do something that makes you feel uncomfortable call a judge. 40K organizers and clubs kick people out for bad behavior. No one wants to play a 3-hour game with a toxic person.

Anyway, Yeah Cassia is presented as a horrible monster from the jump. One of her first conversations is her expressing surprise that you don't brutally maime Your crew so they can't bother you.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Commorragh is absolutely gargantuan in size. The size of multiple planets in diameter. It exists within the webway which is between the warp and realspace. Likewise the drukhari churn out more of themselves via methods not unlike vat-growing humans. Aeldari reproduce naturally and therefore much, much more slowly.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

thanks man

forgot to ask, is the game even good? is the story engaging? would you say it's worth buying or wait for a sale/massive patches?

Having played the beta, its pretty good. It probably isn't my absolutely favorite of these last few years but it hit all the right notes for me at least.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The greatest depiction of Dark Eldar period is the one Ethan plays in the Cknoor Rogue Trader let's play.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 7, 2023

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

There's a reason everyone knows about that specific incident. One set of tournament organizers made a bad decision; there are literally thousands of that sort of event internationally every year. Most organizers already had explicit rules in their code of conduct that would have applied and the ones that didn't made them. It's not a thing that happened in the thousands of events before that debacle and it hasn't happened in the thousands of events since.

I don't like exaggerating this sort of thing because it gives the bad actors an exaggerated impact. If you want to play 40K at an event you should do so. You absolutely will not see anything like that. If someone does say something or do something that makes you feel uncomfortable call a judge. 40K organizers and clubs kick people out for bad behavior. No one wants to play a 3-hour game with a toxic person.

Anyway, Yeah Cassia is presented as a horrible monster from the jump. One of her first conversations is her expressing surprise that you don't brutally maime Your crew so they can't bother you.

Oh you already knew about it, I thought you were asking sincerely. I agree with you mostly, I never had real bad interactions when I played kill team, but as a niche hobby you do still get some players that can be offputting.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

One hour to go!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lassitude posted:

Commorragh is absolutely gargantuan in size. The size of multiple planets in diameter. It exists within the webway which is between the warp and realspace. Likewise the drukhari churn out more of themselves via methods not unlike vat-growing humans. Aeldari reproduce naturally and therefore much, much more slowly.

If I remember right it's a sign of power for a female drukhari to reproduce in the traditional way because you're not worried about getting ganked at eight months.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Libluini posted:

Two things:

1) Comorragh used to be one city among many, but it has spent the last 11,000 years growing and conquering its way through the webway until now it's all just one nightmare conurbation connected by portals where space and distance mean very little. In realspace Commoragh is more like a metastatic cancer than a single location, but in the webway it's all one giant shitshow.

2) The Drukhari practice cloning. Most of their population are vat-born, who used to form an underclass but are now so much more numerous than the true-born that it makes little difference. Your average Drukhari is decanted from a tank fully grown and expected to serve or die. Comorragh is kind of a black parody of a cyberpunk capitalist hellscape turned up to 11. Their rulers aren't just rich and evil, they physically need to cause suffering, and the older they get the more agony they need to inflict on their population.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 7, 2023

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To get a sense of scale, Commoraugh is basically a set of pocket dimensions interlinked via numerous portals rather than a single contiguous city. And some of these pocket dimensions have literal stars the Drukhari stole inside them. The main trading port sector has space for thousands of ships - 40k sized ships.

In regards to Exodites, the answer to just about anything specific is who loving knows. GW has never given them any focus, so all their lore is simply offhand mentions of something or another in Craftworld/Harlequin/Drukhari books. Like, you'd think the dino-riding faction would have interested GW in getting an army list at some point, but nope we've got more Imperium factions to push.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The Exodites seen in the great novel The Infinite and the Divine were quite few in number on that particular world. Small village in scope, not even really a city or anything, even pre-Great Crusade as I think it was at the time. Trazyn pretty casually wiped them out in his never-ending search for collectibles.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Schubalts posted:

She would literally scream the most bloodthirsty poo poo possible every time you got into combat. I wasn't 100% on her being a homicidal maniac after the first encounter but I was when the first combat started.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Toybox got updated for poly / any gender romance and the day is saved.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Flowing Thot posted:

Toybox got updated for poly / any gender romance and the day is saved.

Huh, how did they manage that? Were they given early access or something?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

CommissarMega posted:

Huh, how did they manage that? Were they given early access or something?

I assume so yes. Saw the update on Discord.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Game is live on Steam.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Flowing Thot posted:

Game is live on Steam.

Aaand of course it's going to take 7-8hours on Malaysian internet. Guess I'll try go to bed :(

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Flowing Thot posted:

Game is live on Steam.

Looks like Steam has had a hiccup. I don't see a purchase option for the game yet, but the DLC is up.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Attack on Princess posted:

Looks like Steam has had a hiccup. I don't see a purchase option for the game yet, but the DLC is up.

Yeah i'm the same?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Steam please take my money :f5:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Same, come on I timed this edible for this!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
You can get it on GOG if Steam is still hosed up (which it was for me, same thing: DLC available for purchase but not the game, so I bought it on GOG.)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Just lol if you didn't preorder and get a code days in advance like a gleaming golden Adonis. :smug:

Also people on the Discord are malding out extremely hard at the day 1 season pass and some of the bonus stuff (as if that's not completely standard at this point, and BG3 being markedly weird for not doing it and that being a sign of studio exhaustion more than anything) and at the Steam hiccup preventing them from buying it right this second.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's downloadable on Steam.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Phanatic posted:

You can get it on GOG if Steam is still hosed up (which it was for me, same thing: DLC available for purchase but not the game, so I bought it on GOG.)

You can't get it on GOG, if you preordered. Only Steam, Epic (lol) or consoles.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

owlcat has gone to the next step with dlc where you get the dlc instead of the actual game

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

cuntman.net posted:

owlcat has gone to the next step with dlc where you get the dlc instead of the actual game

In the Grim Darkness of the 21st Millennium, There Is Only DLC.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Ok steam has it up now.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I coulda sworn the preorder was $40, on release it's $50!?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, I'm with you here. I think the key to showing off just how wretched the Imperium is while also showcasing the models you want to sell as awesome is to portray the system itself as the issue. That no matter how courageous your soldiers or noble their sacrifice, the grinding machine of the Imperium will ultimately render them meaningless. That way you can still root for your favourite factions while shaking your fist at the real villain of the setting- namely, the way things are run.

That doesn't really get around it in many cases though because the soldiers are gleeful participants in the miserable system. Space Marines are shitheads by and large. I'm a Sisters liker myself but, well, where to start...and for xenos the thread was just talking about Eldar disregarding human life as inferior (at best). It goes on and on like that because it's Warhammer 40K. Saying your noble soldiers are doing their best but are frustrated by bureaucrats is just going to look like stab-in-the-back myth concepts when you're fretting about avoiding them. The real secret is to understand that Warhammer 40,000: The Game Where Ten-Foot Meatheads Dig at Each Other With Rusty Chainsaws is only to be taken as seriously as a good Iron Maiden album cover and it doesn't make you a fascist in real life to paint models of genetic supermen from space.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I know like GMG and other sites usually do discounts for pre-orders. Seems like Steam wasn't taking pre-orders though as it never gave me a price when I looked at this game's store page in recent days.

edit; ^ Death Guard / Nurgle Demons have a right to be gleeful, for they are doing nothing but spreading their loving grandfather's gifts :allears:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
really looking foward to hearing first impressions! been tracking this game for a long time, big ham fan, but i've heard owlcat games desperatly need balance patches to be playable :(

e: is there a goon discord or just the owlcat one

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 7, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Normally I would've impulse bought this, but jesus TOTK, D4, BG3, Starfield, and other random indie titles, what a year. Can't remember the last time I bought so many AAA titles in like 6 months time. So yes, also looking to hear what you all think initially.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Fate Accomplice posted:

I coulda sworn the preorder was $40, on release it's $50!?

The deluxe edition was $50 USD on their site yeah. GMG has a 18% off code though so you can still get close to that price

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Somebody please help. Whatever I've preordered has given me the "Founders Pack" and "Deluxe Pack". The Deluxe Pack is at least on Steam and I can figure out what's in it, the Founder's Pack is not. What's in the Founder's Pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
For anyone diving in on release, even the positive reviews mention that there will be many points you have to reload because the game state broke. Conceptually, I love the games Owlcat makes. In practice, I find them too frustrating to play and if I've learned my lesson, I will never buy this