Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

where did we land on Mandalore chud-wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

he was at january 6th

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Alaois posted:

he was at january 6th

Lmao

So where did we land anyway

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Regarding Youtube algo, some of our newspapers and radios invested a bit hard on becoming the first things you see if you go on default mode, clear account. Now that wouldn't be a big deal except that the one that invested the most would issue videos defending Millei or interviewing our vaccine coordinator on if loving teenage girls is cool as an adult if they were black, something he wasn't vocal about before or after that. This is to state that weirdness can come really quickly if you only watch videos here on places with no adblock.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Din would’ve probably done a better job over Bo tbh

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

mandalore, yep, he's a fricking chud

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Serious answer is he seems fine? He's made a few jokes about ResetEra sucking... which they do. The big concern is he's friends with Sseth but idk how recently they've collaborated. He's also collaborated with hbomberguy, and his friends on the Please Stop Talking podcast are all cool as far as I know.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
internet historian is probably a bad person but mfs are out there trying to use the fact that he put 4/20 as his fake birthday as proof he is a nazi derek what are you doing lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ResetEra sucks but its also the funniest forum on the internet

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
ResetEra is basically the Days of Futures Past dark alt timeline version of these forums and it is intriguing to peer into sometimes.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

ResetEra is basically the Days of Futures Past dark alt timeline version of these forums and it is intriguing to peer into sometimes.

sending myself back in time mentally to prevent the sentinels from killing hte forums

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

https://magz.tumblr.com/post/702915369393881088/edit-stop-send-ask-and-tag-say-he-native-magz

Apparently he was one of the originators of the Boogaloo Boys and brags that a lot of their defining features came from him (the Hawaiian shirts, etc) but he also claims he left pretty early when it started getting heavy. Apparently he's also a Kyle Rittenhouse fan and a 4channer

Ha ha, oh wow, "I don't understand where this slander that I'm associated with nazis is coming from? I just tried to claim I was the originator of a fanatical, right-wing militia movement's name and now people think I'm a CHUD for some reason?". Truly Wendigoon is the dullest boy on the internet.

Also, Wendigoon's namesake from indigenous mythology being a forbidden term for people to discuss comes up in the original post, which is something I've seen making the rounds on the internet lately but have also been hearing conflicting stories about? The boogieman figure in question is definitely something that's been heavily appropriated by non-indigenous cultures, especially in its recent portrayals as a zombie-deer headed cryptid (Which is so far removed from its actual, folkloric origins as to basically be unrecognizable) and I know that traditionally seeing or coming into contact with the being is bad news, but the only sources I've ever been able to find that say even mentioning the thing by name is an offensive act are secondhand mentions on places like Tumblr and Reddit. I'm suspecting that it might be a case of people conflating this legend with Skinwalkers, which is an actual piece of Native American mythology that isn't supposed to be shared, but I'm also not entirely sure about that.

Does anyone have any links to what actual authorities on the topic (ie Community leaders for the Algonquin tribes whose storytelling traditions originated the creature or scholars in those folklore traditions) have to say about Wendigoon's namesake?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he may be racist but i dont think using the word wendigo as his username makes him racist

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It's always worth looking at your recommended videos because how else would I know that someone called "SleepyExtra13" (who's on screen presence is an anime guy wearing a wolf ear hoodie) has done a video reacting to the Hbomb plagarism video. And has split it into two parts. This guy has less than two thousand subscribers and gets between 30 and a couple hundred views per video (with a rare couple making it into the mid four digit range).

Fake Edit: My god react content is just the laziest poo poo isn't it? This guy is "reacting" to internet historian, Civvie 11, Dunky, Stephanie Sterling... I think he's just watching his subscription list and recording it, for no one to watch. He's been doing it for two years. Why?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Fil5000 posted:

It's always worth looking at your recommended videos because how else would I know that someone called "SleepyExtra13" (who's on screen presence is an anime guy wearing a wolf ear hoodie) has done a video reacting to the Hbomb plagarism video. And has split it into two parts. This guy has less than two thousand subscribers and gets between 30 and a couple hundred views per video (with a rare couple making it into the mid four digit range).

Fake Edit: My god react content is just the laziest poo poo isn't it? This guy is "reacting" to internet historian, Civvie 11, Dunky, Stephanie Sterling... I think he's just watching his subscription list and recording it, for no one to watch. He's been doing it for two years. Why?

there is a desperate hope for those kind of youtubers to find an audience so they can make the big bucks so they put out this low effort reaction content day after day in hopes the algorithim takes notice

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there is a desperate hope for those kind of youtubers to find an audience so they can make the big bucks so they put out this low effort reaction content day after day in hopes the algorithim takes notice

Yeah but how long do you keep that poo poo up for before you realise it's not working? Because two years feels like a depressing answer.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Every reaction YouTuber is just a temporarily embarrassed sssniperwolf

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah but how long do you keep that poo poo up for before you realise it's not working? Because two years feels like a depressing answer.

why not just keep doing it until it works, you said yourself its incredibly low-effort content

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

That's also kind of the textbook case for how the kind of magical thinking involved in this creative process works: Even the smallest of returns are seen as being the result of their ritualistic efforts so the thought of abandoning their current strategy triggers the sunk cost fallacy: If they quit now and tried a completely different approach, it would mean the last two years of low effort content was wasted!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Alaois posted:

why not just keep doing it until it works, you said yourself its incredibly low-effort content

opportunity cost. it's one thing to do something like that for say, a few months. but after TWO YEARS and not seeing any results? that's a tremendous amount of wasted effort

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Queer Salutations posted:

I'm interested in seeing what comes out about the rest of the "faces" in Man in Cave. Ordinary Things videos seem largely okay, and ManyKudos is basically a "make a video about three controversies in topic that has high SEO when I release it" channel. But neither are as openly right-wing as Wendigoon.

Ordinary Things is alright, but he did have a Ground News ad one time recently where he said that “leftwing media wasn’t doing an adequate job of covering the ‘lab leak’ hypothesis” and that caused me to prick up my ears and look at him a bit funny ever since

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

Ordinary Things is alright, but he did have a Ground News ad one time recently where he said that “leftwing media wasn’t doing an adequate job of covering the ‘lab leak’ hypothesis” and that caused me to prick up my ears and look at him a bit funny ever since

yeah, there was also one video, which i think might have been his end of the year summary or something where he did some very questionable "both republicans and democrats are equally stubborn and won't compromise" poo poo (or something to that effect) that made me raise an eyebrow at the time

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah, there was also one video, which i think might have been his end of the year summary or something where he did some very questionable "both republicans and democrats are equally stubborn and won't compromise" poo poo (or something to that effect) that made me raise an eyebrow at the time

He comes across as a british dude who worshipped Charlie Brooker's many Wipes and is aping that style and disaffected nihilism that was so popular with comedians in Britain who turned out to be shitheads. But you know, doesn't doom him necessarily. Drew Gooden is basically doing 00s era SNL comedy and he's not awful.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Ok Comboomer posted:

I have heard that line so many times now, I just wonder if thats something Ground News demands from its adreaders.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I think the vast majority of media of all stripes covered the "lab leak" hypothesis exactly as adequately as it needed to be, which was to mention that some weirdos thought it was a thing but it wasn't.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DeafNote posted:

I have heard that line so many times now, I just wonder if thats something Ground News demands from its adreaders.

a more boilerplate "left v right" thing, sure, but specifically about the lab leak idea?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Wendigoon has always been a weird watch for me. He covers plenty of topics that I love (Weird horror stuff, Cryptids, Analog Horror, weird events, etc) but I always find myself starting a video of his and then....sliding right off of it. Dude has almost no delivery, just kinda monotone rambling that I can't decide if it's because he's just reading straight from a teleprompter or just talking through vague notes he has about the video subject.

There are far better creators who do the same topics as him at least, though they don't put out nearly the amount of regular content. Of course now I'm suspect of any creator doing weekly/daily releases. Though he does seem to really research his topics and does actual interviews sometimes with real people.

If you like the topics he does but don't want to watch him I'd suggest:

Lemmino
Nexpo
Atrocity Guide
Fredrik Knudsen
Night Mind
Virtual Carbon
Clark Elieson
Barely and Slightly Sociable

The "talks about horror, analog horror, and weird mystery stuff" scene on youtube can be difficult to navigate through because there's only so many stories and topics to talk about. Everyone has done the Dyatlov Pass, every Liminal Space/Backrooms series, Petscopp/slenderman/SCP/etc...Then there's the problem of these channels overlapping slightly with Conspiracy youtube. The creators above at least only stick with individual Conspiracy (with a capital C) topics without going into stupid political tangents at least and stay away from anything too "new" to have any real information out about them.

Lemmino has a MH370 that thankfully doesn't go into weird "the CIA DID IT!" kinda crap or UFO claims, Same with his JFK video which sticks entirely to the days events and interviews with witnesses and nothing about, again, "THE CIA DID IT!".

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
New Jacob Geller: https://youtu.be/gMGEjgYJhEc?si=Yq__u0EC43-DuylG

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

KingKalamari posted:

Wendi native american stuff

The problem with the tag of "Native American" is that, yes, Wendi is indeed of native american descent (Chekoree) and the Wendigo is, well, more a bit up north. At most I can imagine that having a copyrighted Wendigo (c) (tm), something usually shapeless on its original iteration, could lead to potential headaches.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 7, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Crain posted:

Wendigoon has always been a weird watch for me. He covers plenty of topics that I love (Weird horror stuff, Cryptids, Analog Horror, weird events, etc) but I always find myself starting a video of his and then....sliding right off of it. Dude has almost no delivery, just kinda monotone rambling that I can't decide if it's because he's just reading straight from a teleprompter or just talking through vague notes he has about the video subject.

Repeating that he's the dullest boy on the internet to clarify it means in terms of thought and in terms of delivery.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if you copyright the wendigo then you become the wendigo

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if you copyright the wendigo then you become the wendigo

i haven't seen the new santa clause show yet but if this is the lore sign me up

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The only good wendigoon video was on the 97 west Hollywood shootout because every mainstream retelling of that event ignored all the actually weird poo poo about that story but yeah his videos are a loving slog and it wouldn't surprise me if he was a bit chuddy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Crain posted:

There are far better creators who do the same topics as him at least, though they don't put out nearly the amount of regular content. Of course now I'm suspect of any creator doing weekly/daily releases. Though he does seem to really research his topics and does actual interviews sometimes with real people.

he doesn't strike me as very smart, tbh, like he has nothing at all interesting to say about various cryptids or the mythology or context behind them or their purported biology or how reasonable their existence in a given ecosystem would be, nothing.

Just like "I like mothman, mothman looks like this and I think that's creepy and cool" "I think the coelacanth counts as a cryptid because people only knew it from fossils until they found one, and that's different from the thyla--tasmanian tiger because the last one of those died in a zoo and they used to be everywhere until people killed them all and thats boring" "I think megalodon is a cryptid because the ocean is big"

Like, I used to teach middle school and the classrooms would have a 'Book Nook" in the corner full of various books that the kids could borrow to read during silent reading period, or take home, etc, and every Wendigoon video just strikes me like he grabbed a Scholastic book written for 5th graders and is using that + the introductory paragraph of a wikipedia page to do all of his sourcing

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Crain posted:

If you like the topics he does but don't want to watch him I'd suggest:

Lemmino
Nexpo
Atrocity Guide
Fredrik Knudsen
Night Mind
Virtual Carbon
Clark Elieson
Barely and Slightly Sociable

The "talks about horror, analog horror, and weird mystery stuff" scene on youtube can be difficult to navigate through because there's only so many stories and topics to talk about. Everyone has done the Dyatlov Pass, every Liminal Space/Backrooms series, Petscopp/slenderman/SCP/etc...Then there's the problem of these channels overlapping slightly with Conspiracy youtube. The creators above at least only stick with individual Conspiracy (with a capital C) topics without going into stupid political tangents at least and stay away from anything too "new" to have any real information out about them.

Lemmino has a MH370 that thankfully doesn't go into weird "the CIA DID IT!" kinda crap or UFO claims, Same with his JFK video which sticks entirely to the days events and interviews with witnesses and nothing about, again, "THE CIA DID IT!".

A couple more accounts along these lines I've been following lately:

Real Horror - A relatively new channel that deals mostly with things disasters. I was actually quite impressed with their video The Family That Vanished, which concerns the disappearance of the Jack family in Prince Rupert, BC, the case's mishandling by police and teh general systemic failures of Canadian law enforcement agencies in investigating crime against indigenous people.
Scary Interesting is a similar channel focusing on disasters (Particularly in mountain exploration) and unexplained disappearances, though after watching the hBomb video I have to admit their relatively rapid video release schedule has me giving the channel a bit of the paranoid side-eye
Shrouded Hand is a channel run by a guy with a soothingly British accent reading pretty much whatever horror-related stuff comes his way, ranging from True Crime to disastrous deaths to cryptids to freaky trip reports. Some degree of viewer discretion is advised as some of his videos include images from medical cases some might find disturbing.
In Priase of Shadows has come up in the thread recently for their nearly 5 hour retrospective video on Courage the Cowardly Dog, but I honestly have found their content to be pretty solid, doing analysis and retrospectives of horror media
Lazy Masquerade is a fairly big YouTuber who's more on the true crime side of the platform, though I find his content tends to be a bit better than most for the simple fact that he tends to approach his topics with more of a focus on the experience and lives of victims and survivors rather than from a fascination with the perpetrators. I'm a particular fan of this video where he delves into uncovering the origins of the creepy "Whitehouse" gif from an early 2000s meme, discovers the original photo that was used to create it was of an actual murder victim and then goes on a separate investigation to try to find more information and actual, unedited photos of said victim as a means to try to give her an identity beyond just an old horror meme.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

KingKalamari posted:

A couple more accounts along these lines I've been following lately:

Real Horror - A relatively new channel that deals mostly with things disasters. I was actually quite impressed with their video The Family That Vanished, which concerns the disappearance of the Jack family in Prince Rupert, BC, the case's mishandling by police and teh general systemic failures of Canadian law enforcement agencies in investigating crime against indigenous people.
Scary Interesting is a similar channel focusing on disasters (Particularly in mountain exploration) and unexplained disappearances, though after watching the hBomb video I have to admit their relatively rapid video release schedule has me giving the channel a bit of the paranoid side-eye
Shrouded Hand is a channel run by a guy with a soothingly British accent reading pretty much whatever horror-related stuff comes his way, ranging from True Crime to disastrous deaths to cryptids to freaky trip reports. Some degree of viewer discretion is advised as some of his videos include images from medical cases some might find disturbing.
In Priase of Shadows has come up in the thread recently for their nearly 5 hour retrospective video on Courage the Cowardly Dog, but I honestly have found their content to be pretty solid, doing analysis and retrospectives of horror media
Lazy Masquerade is a fairly big YouTuber who's more on the true crime side of the platform, though I find his content tends to be a bit better than most for the simple fact that he tends to approach his topics with more of a focus on the experience and lives of victims and survivors rather than from a fascination with the perpetrators. I'm a particular fan of this video where he delves into uncovering the origins of the creepy "Whitehouse" gif from an early 2000s meme, discovers the original photo that was used to create it was of an actual murder victim and then goes on a separate investigation to try to find more information and actual, unedited photos of said victim as a means to try to give her an identity beyond just an old horror meme.

Scary Interesting did a video covering the Veryovkina Cave that pretty much read an article as closely as anyone in Hbomb's video. I went looking for more info on the incident after watching the video and felt disappointed to find out it was largely uncited regurgitated work. Like Illuminaughti, he often has a link to a doc of links for sources, but doesn't in the video ever mention the article or acknowledge it in any clear and visible way. Potentially he feels that is sufficient sourcing, people really seem to run on vibes about crediting sources, but in retrospect I feel less charitable. I didn't think much about it at the time tbh.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/article/flood-escape-deepest-cave-veryovkina-abkhazia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNvfJYPYO60

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Autisanal Cheese posted:

No chud poo poo in videos like Ssseth and GManLives do so who cares

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

mycatscrimes posted:

Scary Interesting did a video covering the Veryovkina Cave that pretty much read an article as closely as anyone in Hbomb's video. I went looking for more info on the incident after watching the video and felt disappointed to find out it was largely uncited regurgitated work. Like Illuminaughti, he often has a link to a doc of links for sources, but doesn't in the video ever mention the article or acknowledge it in any clear and visible way. Potentially he feels that is sufficient sourcing, people really seem to run on vibes about crediting sources, but in retrospect I feel less charitable. I didn't think much about it at the time tbh.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/article/flood-escape-deepest-cave-veryovkina-abkhazia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNvfJYPYO60

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. Like I said: After the hBomb video, Scary Interesting's super rapid release schedule started raising red flags for me. It's disappointing, but not entirely unexpected.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m also gonna rec don’t look at me who is just doing mystery/creepy icebergs with little sourcing, but is very good at it if you like that kind of stuff to fall asleep to like I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
e: wait im dumb dont listen to me. i wanted to know who guessed who the vid was going to be about.