Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

tarlibone posted:

... I mean... it's... oh wow.

I just got pwned by reality.

I love that it’s just what you said but you didn’t dream big enough on the market by like a factor of two. The audacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

this is pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKwTKeLCs7A

video from the late 70s when mountain bike / offroad riding was called klunking

Didn’t know I needed a shirt that said “I would rather be Klunking” until today

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
To break up slow cooker chat, I finally tried the Rapha powerweave bibs I got on Black Friday. It pains me to say that they’re fantastic. I think the chamois may be the best my taint has ever felt.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Has anyone used these bottle mount repositioning adapters?

Apidura: https://www.apidura.com/shop/bottle-cage-adapter/
Wolftooth: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/b-rad-bottle-relocation-and-accessory-device?variant=27315032837

or the much cheaper clone of the Wolftooth available on Amazon etc: https://amzn.eu/d/acu4DcS

I just want to move my rear cage down 50mm to make more room for a half frame bag.
Any reason not to go with the cheap one? I only fear Chineseum bolts really.

Also, is there a bikepacking thread in the forum? My uses are actually just long Audax rides mostly, but I’m looking for recommendations for a small 8-10 litre ish rear saddlepack and a half frame bag.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have the “4 slot” Wolf Tooth B-Rad to fit two bottles inline.

I also bought the Chinese version for another bike. It’s not a direct clone, in that it was machined to a different profile, but it’s functionally equivalent. The metal and the machining are more than acceptable.

The bolts on the Chinese version take 3 mm drivers slightly loosely. They’re not as nice as Wolf Tooth T25 bolts (which is its own complication for wrenches) but they’re not abjectly terrible like some M5 bolts I’ve gotten with other products. I had “brand name” bolts kicking around, so I used them for mounting the bracket itself, but I did use the included bolts to mount cages to the bracket.

Because these are extra long mounts that are holding more weight with more leverage than bottle bosses are intended for, I also put a rubber pad under the brackets and lash them to the downtube with zip ties.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

wooger posted:

Wolftooth: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/b-rad-bottle-relocation-and-accessory-device?variant=27315032837

or the much cheaper clone of the Wolftooth available on Amazon etc: https://amzn.eu/d/acu4DcS
I used the wolftooth, but it didn't get my bottle as low as I wanted. Otherwise it was fine. I went with a universal support bolt from King. The top hole in the cage screwed on to the lower mount on my seat tube and I used the support mount for the lower hole in the cage. This also had the added bonus of not pushing the bottle cage any further out from the frame.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 4, 2023

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

wooger posted:

I just want to move my rear cage down 50mm to make more room for a half frame bag.
Any reason not to go with the cheap one? I only fear Chineseum bolts really.

Also, is there a bikepacking thread in the forum? My uses are actually just long Audax rides mostly, but I’m looking for recommendations for a small 8-10 litre ish rear saddlepack and a half frame bag.

I've used the Wolf Tooth one before to lower a cage down below a half frame bag and worked pretty OK. I bought it to do White Rim in a day so I could carry more water with the bag. I think it's still on my Krampus and can take a picture of it if that would help.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Do bike travel bags tend to be one-size-fits-all? I have a 2XL grail (also electric, but will be shipping without the battery ofc) that I'd like to bring on a trip as a checked bag, but it's quite large & carbon, so I'm a little worried that if I'm pushing the size tolerance of the bag it could get damaged and end up failing later on.

Also, do y'all have any you'd recommend? I tend to just go with the outdoorgearlab default, but if y'all have anything in particular you've liked lmk!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

wooger posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933885

doesn't get a lot of posts, but there is one

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

foutre posted:

Do bike travel bags tend to be one-size-fits-all? I have a 2XL grail (also electric, but will be shipping without the battery ofc) that I'd like to bring on a trip as a checked bag, but it's quite large & carbon, so I'm a little worried that if I'm pushing the size tolerance of the bag it could get damaged and end up failing later on.

Also, do y'all have any you'd recommend? I tend to just go with the outdoorgearlab default, but if y'all have anything in particular you've liked lmk!

Orucase has always been well-regarded, and you can sometimes snag a discount from Phil Gaimon's website/YouTube channel

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Just ask me directly if you have any questions on Audax stuff :P

But serious, bike touring vs. Audax uses are a bit different.

In terms of stuff I used for brevets, I use Restrap and Apidura stuff and its served me perfectly. I think I prefer Restrap but Apidura Racing stuff is lighter.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Anybody using Juin Tech F1's? I can't seem to go more than 1 ride on these things without developing a horrific squeal front and rear. I've retorqued, cleaned, sanded pads and re-bedded 2 times now with the same result. Have some new pads on the way but I'm stumped as to why it's happening.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Nohearum posted:

Anybody using Juin Tech F1's? I can't seem to go more than 1 ride on these things without developing a horrific squeal front and rear. I've retorqued, cleaned, sanded pads and re-bedded 2 times now with the same result. Have some new pads on the way but I'm stumped as to why it's happening.

All I can say is that I had a similar situation with Sram road stuff and the fix was getting the caliper alignment perfect. Also perfect doesn't mean even/square, just some arbitrary position that stops squealing.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

foutre posted:

Some definitely have sizes.
If your bike has fully hidden cable routing and/or is big, getting a bigger one is important.
The Thule Roundtrip Transition is great - you can fit the bike securely, fully rigid case for protection, etc.
I've heard good things about the Scicon Aerocomfort 3, which is wide enough that you don't need to remove the bars (important for hidden hose routing).

I've used an Orucase to fly with my old track bike, but I wouldn't recommend it for you:
It only fits up to 58cm frames, so probably won't fit your 2xl
It requires significant disassembly to fit
It has less protection that bigger, heavier cases.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

foutre posted:

For a bike that expensive I wouldn’t fly with anything but a hardcase bike box. Are you able to remove the handlebar / stem OK (no internal routing?). Considering how big Canyons tend to run, plus being a gravel bike, it might be challenging to fit in a random rental bike box.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Nohearum posted:

I've got Juin Tech R1's on my commuter but I think they're basically the same thing. Mine never squealed in the dry but when wet they were horribly noisy (more of a loud honk/turkey warble type noise). I changed the pads to BBB ones (they're a standard Shimano size pad so should be plenty of options) and they're better in the wet but still noisy unless I do a few quick brake pulses to scrub water off the rotors before braking hard. Overall still like them though, better than the avid BB7's they replaced.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Ropes4u posted:

Didn’t know I needed a shirt that said “I would rather be Klunking” until today

“Klunking is best away from the cops, cars, and concrete” :hmmyes:

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

wooger posted:

Kinda, I just used a scrap piece of 1/2" x 6" x 1/4" aluminum bar stock to shift up my mounts to fit a Foldylock in place.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

amenenema posted:

Orucase has always been well-regarded, and you can sometimes snag a discount from Phil Gaimon's website/YouTube channel

Just did a trip with my new B2 Road. My rim brake 56cm road bike barely fit into it. But, it was a breeze to travel with. Light and easy to toss in the trunk of any ride share sedan.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I noticed that the Cervelo Caledonia comes with a kit to mount fenders by attaching a mount to the thru-axle....

Is there anything thing similar out there that would work for other thru-axle bikes?

Here's a pic

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Who among us?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:catstare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
New! Compliant crank technology!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TobinHatesYou posted:

Who among us?

Drillium has moved to the next level

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Is that wear from their shoe hitting the crank? What on earth do their shoes look like?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Proof that float is bad, I rest my case and will not be taking questions

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

TobinHatesYou posted:

Who among us?

good lord lmao

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hutzpah posted:

Is that wear from their shoe hitting the crank? What on earth do their shoes look like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhEJj6EsQew

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Anyone have experience with this type of trailer?

Trying to decide between the two-child carrier and the one-child version- I only have on kid (2 years old/20lb) but the two-child version is much cheaper. Would just having one kid in it throw the balance off//make the ride bumpier?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FFHTJC7?ie=UTF8&tag=giftful04-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B07FFHTJC7&th=1&psc=1

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Who among us?

This crank arm is an influencer that overused a photo editing app to make its waist look slim.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Bouillon Rube posted:

Anyone have experience with this type of trailer?

Trying to decide between the two-child carrier and the one-child version- I only have on kid (2 years old/20lb) but the two-child version is much cheaper. Would just having one kid in it throw the balance off//make the ride bumpier?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FFHTJC7?ie=UTF8&tag=giftful04-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B07FFHTJC7&th=1&psc=1

I’ve got a 2-seat Burley and my one kid doesn’t seem to mind. I haven’t used a 1-seat so I can’t really compare directly, but it never seems off balance and I can’t tell when the kid is on one side or the other.

The 2-seat would give you more space for bringing other stuff with you, like a diaper bag or toys or groceries, which could be nice.

The only negative to the 2-seat for 1 kid I’d mention is that because they have kinda hammock-like seats, kids might be slightly tipped to the center, whereas in a 1-seat they’d be centered in it. But I really don’t think it’s a problem.

Probably easier to load one kid in the bigger trailer too - just more space to maneuver.

Unsolicited, but I’d also check around your used marked for a Burley or Thule. Those Allens are probably fine but look a little slapdash to me, and people are unloading nicer used ones all the time.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Yeah I got a thule chariot sport 2 used for a pretty good deal and it's worn so little I'm sure I'll be able to resell it for most of that price when I'm done with it.

Benefits would be a solid floor, suspension and lots of additional forms such as a stroller/jogger/XC sled.

Only downside with the double seater would be if you want to use it as a stroller it just barely fits through most commercial doors and I've had to get creative at grocery stores with narrow register lanes

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I ended up finding a nice second hand example of the weight weenie of balance bikes.

https://www.cruzee.com/

Nice blue anodized aluminum coming in at 4.2 lbs.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Math You posted:

Yeah I got a thule chariot sport 2 used for a pretty good deal and it's worn so little I'm sure I'll be able to resell it for most of that price when I'm done with it.

Benefits would be a solid floor, suspension and lots of additional forms such as a stroller/jogger/XC sled.

Only downside with the double seater would be if you want to use it as a stroller it just barely fits through most commercial doors and I've had to get creative at grocery stores with narrow register lanes

We had a chariot when my kid was younger and it worked really well. Bonus to the double seater when you have a single kid is there's extra room for gear. Like a balance bike and/or beers.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

I ended up finding a nice second hand example of the weight weenie of balance bikes.

https://www.cruzee.com/

Nice blue anodized aluminum coming in at 4.2 lbs.

You buried the lede that it comes with tubeless tires, too.

Still not carbon, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jonny Quest posted:

You buried the lede that it comes with tubeless tires, too.

One of the lightweight tricks used is to run foam tires on plastic wheels.
The foam tire grip is adequate, but I didn't want to chance it, so I went with real tires.
That can add up to a pound.

Strider has a 12 Pro that's alu frame, still well heavier (and a bit cheaper) than the Cruzee, but a lb lighter than their regular 12.
They also have a 12 ST-R that's carbon, with real tires, and it's still the same weight as the 12 Pro.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Needs a little TLC. Probably going to peel off the decals they are all scratched up. Frame has some scratches but it's decent, no rust as it's all aluminum. The tires are basically cush cores. The sparkly anodizing is pretty sweet, will look great in the sun after a detailing.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

TobinHatesYou posted:

Who among us?

When you ride your bike to work at the aluminum oxide factory every day

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Neither my coworker or I got in to steamboat gravel. Lame. They never have entries open later right?

Going to do bighorn gravel in June, rad dirt in September instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Folks, I have sinned.

I bought silicone brake lever covers, but I didn’t pay four time extra to get them in Bianchi celeste.