Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Because it isn't accurate for an individual. Nobody is getting raises to match inflation at. To get that benefit you have to get a new job with more pay, which means nobody making minimum wage saw any raise in wages and just got to enjoy getting kicked in the balls by inflation. But just because they have the opportunity to have a wage increase everything is just fine according to the experts.

Seems like most of these individuals believe they are doing well

It's not according to "the experts" it's according to peoples' personal assessment of their own situation. And that specific survey was only 18-29 year olds, the segment of the population that is supposedly suffering the most. And yet, a supermajority of people under the age of 29 rate their own economic situation as "good" or "very good".

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/metzgov/status/1732791096491577616

Former middle school principal will have this on his permanent record.

I still think it was an accident but whatever.

Was it one of those emergency exists that automatically triggers the fire alarm? Otherwise I don't see how you could do it by accident.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Because it isn't accurate for an individual. Nobody is getting raises to match inflation at. To get that benefit you have to get a new job with more pay, which means nobody making minimum wage saw any raise in wages and just got to enjoy getting kicked in the balls by inflation. But just because they have the opportunity to have a wage increase everything is just fine according to the experts.

That's just kind of how statistics work. If 9 out of 10 dentists recommend flossing every day, then it is fair to say that the median dentist says you should floss every day. The existence of the 1 who says you should not does eliminate the existence of the other 9. But, if you only ever went to the 1 who says flossing is fatal, then you are going to have the experience of 100% of dentists saying flossing will kill you.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

BougieBitch posted:

I had a somewhat horrifying thought that makes perfect goddamn sense: the reason this is happening could easily be because people paid down a huge amount of debt during the pandemic.

This isn't an authoritative source, but I think it should at least be true in terms of directions and magnitude: the average American now has $8,000 less (non-mortgage) debt than they did in 2019: https://www.google.com/amp/s/money.com/average-american-personal-debt-amount/%3famp=true

I did some kicking around government sources and it seems likely this might be bourne out by the data at least - mortgages seem to be the largest component of increase, followed by car loans. Meanwhile "revolving loans" which I assume to mean payday-loan-style debt, shrunk enormously starting in 2020.

A revolving loan is like a credit card. You’re granted the ability to borrow up to some limit and pay it back and repeat. I’m kinda surprised that credit card debt has gone down though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

Also, all this unusual concern from poll-answering Americans didn’t exist prior to 2021, when personal sentiment matched actual economic indicators

Interest rates started going up in March 2022.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

mobby_6kl posted:

Was it one of those emergency exists that automatically triggers the fire alarm? Otherwise I don't see how you could do it by accident.

No.

He either definitely pulled it on purpose or was being very dumb and panicked as soon as he accidentally hit the alarm.

https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1732800317031378947

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah, it's pretty fuckin' obvious he pulled it deliberately. Thought he was going to have his Big drat Hero maverick moment and the applause would drown out any downsides.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

zoux posted:

Also, all this unusual concern from poll-answering Americans didn’t exist prior to 2021, when personal sentiment matched actual economic indicators

Great reason to dig deeper then! Poll-answering Americans don't answer questions by first consulting economic indicators, and poll-answering Americans no longer match one-to-one with when they talk about their own finances and habits versus "the economy"- then what are they talking about now?

I gave a handful of hypotheses not because I have the right answer but because I think the tool's results being flawed is a reason to attempt to improve the tool. One cannot blame the studied population into answering "honestly" when you don't actually care what their honest answer means.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

Seems like most of these individuals believe they are doing well

It's not according to "the experts" it's according to peoples' personal assessment of their own situation. And that specific survey was only 18-29 year olds, the segment of the population that is supposedly suffering the most. And yet, a supermajority of people under the age of 29 rate their own economic situation as "good" or "very good".

To be fair, if you are limiting it to ages 18-29, then there are probably a good amount of people responding who are not really exposed to "the real world" because they are in college or living with their parents.

I don't know if that is the case for most people in that study, but just a factor that could give you an unrealistically positive impression of your personal situation.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Kagrenak posted:

I went back and looked and It's because those graphs also only went to Jan/Feb 2022.

I haven’t found a good one like that that gets up to 2023. One can get general statements about 2023 salaries and average increases and the Fred stuff. But what I want is the information in that graph that includes this year. I’m thinking it’ll be next year.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It continues to drive me loving insane that Biden is getting targeted for his son getting jobs when Trump had like half of his family in the White House for four years, often without security clearances

That's exactly why they're doing it. It's their classic "accuse our opponents of our own sins" move. They started going after Hunter to preempt and allow themselves to claim "whataboutism" or "deflection" if anyone went after Javanka or the boys.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

BougieBitch posted:

Hourly work is exceptionally easy to quit and start elsewhere -

I stopped listening to your argument right here.

Hourly wage work is not something you can just swap easily. You have to apply, get picked, get interviewed, often pass a piss test, and who knows what other barriers there are. You're also probably working full time and can't just take a sick day to do any of this because you don't get much of those benefits as an hourly worker.

What a post username combo

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
My takeaway from that poll is that there are a lot of people lying to themselves about how well they're doing in comparison to everyone else. It's not new, it seems like people would rather die than admit they're not at least 'middle-class' (whatever that means)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I stopped listening to your argument right here.

Hourly wage work is not something you can just swap easily. You have to apply, get picked, get interviewed, often pass a piss test, and who knows what other barriers there are. You're also probably working full time and can't just take a sick day to do any of this because you don't get much of those benefits as an hourly worker.

What a post username combo

Yeah, this is where my girlfriend is at right now. Quitting is hella-easy, but it's been a nightmare for her to find anything at her skill level because of that combination of "very few available jobs" and "lots of people who want those jobs."
And that's for the jobs even remotely worth taking, to say nothing of the "we expect you to work 60 hours for the pay of 40, we are your family and your world now" poo poo jobs that don't stay filled for long for a reason.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I don't think a sub-4% unemployment rate equates to both "very few available jobs" and "lots of people who want those jobs" unless you're working in a specific industry with lots of current layoffs like tech (although I don't know what the tech unemployment rate is, it's not like tech is now a dead industry).

Edit: Even if you want to say that the % is bullshit, it's still relatively/directionally extremely low when compared to the last 50 years.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 7, 2023

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I kind of wonder if maybe the upper quartile not making gains compared to people below them or what they're used to might be skewing the general view of 'the economy' vs your personal situation. Elites always have an outsized impact on pretty much any public discourse and if your boss/manager/local business owner is talking about how the economy is bad, hey those guys know 'the economy'(and might get quoted in the news, etc) even if I'm doing ok

But I guess it's likely that situation has happened in the past without the same divergence

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Quixzlizx posted:

I don't think a sub-4% unemployment rate equates to both "very few available jobs" and "lots of people who want those jobs" unless you're working in a specific industry with lots of current layoffs like tech (although I don't know what the tech unemployment rate is, it's not like tech is now a dead industry).

Edit: Even if you want to say that the % is bullshit, it's still relatively/directionally extremely low when compared to the last 50 years.

The problem with job hunting is that it is also extremely automated and algorithmic now. If one doesn’t know how to write a resume specifically to each application and navigate a portal then a human being never sees one’s resume. That would feel like listings are fake bullshit to a lot of folks who don’t have that sophistication.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 7, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The new rule to seize pharmaceutical patents from companies whose drugs are priced too high or are not making them publicly available (aka "March-in" rights) will have a 60 day comment period and then HHS will begin implementation.

PhRMA has already released a statement opposing the policy and will likely sue once the 60 days are up.

quote:

Ahead of the announcement, Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) spokesperson Megan Van Etten issued a statement responding to the proposed framework, saying, “This would be yet another loss for American patients who rely on public-private sector collaboration to advance new treatments and cures. The Administration is sending us back to a time when government research sat on a shelf, not benefitting anyone.”

quote:

“If march-in rights are misused, companies can no longer trust the government as a partner. No one will be willing to commercialize something if they can’t protect their investment.”

There was no announcement from the Health and Human Services about what drugs they may target, but one under consideration is Xtandi - a drug for treating prostate cancer
that currently costs between $160,000 and $180,000 per year. HHS has previously considered using march-in rights on the drug earlier this year, but declined because price alone was not currently one of the categories that qualified a product for march-in rights.

https://apnews.com/article/biden-drug-prices-patents-2024-campaign-f92da4ee89814d3ab89a909399bf4c85

joe football posted:

I kind of wonder if maybe the upper quartile not making gains compared to people below them or what they're used to might be skewing the general view of 'the economy' vs your personal situation. Elites always have an outsized impact on pretty much any public discourse and if your boss/manager/local business owner is talking about how the economy is bad, hey those guys know 'the economy'(and might get quoted in the news, etc) even if I'm doing ok

But I guess it's likely that situation has happened in the past without the same divergence

The top 40 to 45th percentile incomes aren't even necessarily "elites" in the common sense. It is a lot of general white collar workers making $50k or more.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/metzgov/status/1732791096491577616

Former middle school principal will have this on his permanent record.

I think it was an accident but whatever
why?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Quixzlizx posted:

I live in Seattle, a city hit hard by the tech layoffs and the job market is absolutely brutal right now. I know quite a few people laid off a year ago that are still trying to find work, and every job posting gets 100s of applicants at a minimum. Not just from local Seattleites but also from people around the country. It is not at all easy to find a job right now.

From my perspective here in Seattle, the economy is nowhere near being "good" and even the employed people feel the same way here. And 90+% of the people I know are white collar professionals with masters degrees making six figures.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Making more money for less work than any point in my life as one of those below median low skilled workers very explicitly because my boss is desperate to keep me around because he can't hire anyone* and I very much doubt he's offering that much below market if he's being willing to bump the lay of rhe people he does have kn response, very much does not seem like lots of people who want few available jobs to me.

(or rather he can hire people for the less physically demanding half of the business, so clearly he is in fact getting the fact that there are openings out there where people can see, but even that has been slow going and the only slightly physically demanding part, nothing.)

Edit: this is 50 miles south of Seattle, to contrast with the poster above me.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Full list and press announcement:

Man this is some legit good poo poo, this is stuff I was talking about wanting to see back when Obama is in office and frustrated no one seemed to care about or want to do anything about, and it loving sucks that people are gonna continue to not care about it, since this are moves to actually fix a lot of the poo poo that's broken - and way more than I expected him to do what with him not having a supportive legislature behind him.

zoux posted:

Maybe everyone just has their own personal definition of what 'the economy" means.

Do economists and financial professionals even have a shared definition of what "the economy" means? Because I'm not sure how it could be any other way. Of course everyone has their own personal definition, it's an intentionally vague and non-specific term.

zoux posted:

People spend less and save more if they think the economy is bad. Another revealed preference that contradicts the polling data.

This is also only true under certain circumstances, its not generally true. And the mechanics of how this happens and how sustainable those alternatives are are important, too.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 7, 2023

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The March-In rights stuff seems great but I can't imagine that it survives any amount of court scrutiny

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Mustang posted:

I live in Seattle, a city hit hard by the tech layoffs and the job market is absolutely brutal right now. I know quite a few people laid off a year ago that are still trying to find work, and every job posting gets 100s of applicants at a minimum. Not just from local Seattleites but also from people around the country. It is not at all easy to find a job right now.

From my perspective here in Seattle, the economy is nowhere near being "good" and even the employed people feel the same way here. And 90+% of the people I know are white collar professionals with masters degrees making six figures.

I didn't say anything about how good the economy is, just that it doesn't seem to bear out that there are very few available jobs and way too many people trying to fill them. Inflation was partially being fueled by a labor shortage.

If Amazon and Microsoft both laid off 20k people or whatever this year, I'm guessing that could cause a local shock to tech workers in the Seattle area.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kathy Manning, the ranking Democrat on the House Foreign Relations Committee, is cancelling her plans to run for re-election because the North Carolina legislature overturned their court-ordered congressional maps. Her district was gerrymandered from a D+4 district to a R+11 district.

The North Carolina Supreme Court had imposed a court-ordered redistricting map for 2022, but the Supreme Court is elected and gained a Republican majority that withdrew its previous ruling. The previous maps were 7R - 7D and the new maps are 11R - 3D.

The state legislature has a Republican supermajority and can override the Democratic governor's veto.

https://twitter.com/RepKManning/status/1732835587554468053

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Kathy Manning, the ranking Democrat on the House Foreign Relations Committee, is cancelling her plans to run for re-election because the North Carolina legislature overturned their court-ordered congressional maps. Her district was gerrymandered from a D+4 district to a R+11 district.

The North Carolina Supreme Court had imposed a court-ordered redistricting map for 2022, but the Supreme Court is elected and gained a Republican majority that withdrew its previous ruling. The previous maps were 7R - 7D and the new maps are 11R - 3D.

The state legislature has a Republican supermajority and can override the Democratic governor's veto.

https://twitter.com/RepKManning/status/1732835587554468053

They also only have a supermajority because a they ran a fake Democrat who switched after they came up short by 1 seat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry it's the NY Post but some details on the mass shooter at UNLV yesterday:

67-year old former ECU assoc. prof.
Motive appears to be that he didn't get a professorship at UNLV
Very intelligent:

quote:

During that time, he also ran a personal website about his life, in which he posted a 15-page theory claiming he decoded the messages left by the Zodiac Killer, who operated in Northern California in the late 1960s.

“Just so you won’t initially write off my solution as that of a total crackpot, let me first say that I have been a member of MENSA for 35 years, I hold a double undergraduate degree in Mathematics & Statistics (two skills closely associated with successful cryptographers) … and I hold a masters degree and a doctoral degree from top-tier universities as well,” Polito wrote in the introduction.

“So I am not a dumb guy!”

He further claimed to have solved the fate of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 and figured out the true meaning of Leonardo DiCaprio’s 2010 film “Inception.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What was the true meaning of Leonardo DiCaprio’s 2010 film “Inception" he discovered?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What was the true meaning of Leonardo DiCaprio’s 2010 film “Inception" he discovered?

He was dead the whole time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
CNN has a report of the threats left against elected officials, read the whole thing here: https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/07/politics/threats-us-public-officials-democracy-invs/index.html

But some highlights:

quote:

At least 41% of all the cases across the decade were politically motivated.
Nearly 95% of people prosecuted for making threats to public officials are male; the median age is 37.
Politically motivated threats to public officials increased 178% during Trump’s presidency.
Threats related to hot political topics like abortion or police brutality also skyrocketed during the Trump years, increasing by more than 300% from Obama’s second term.
As the party in power, 16 Democrats received threats during Obama’s second term. This increased 169% with 43 GOP lawmakers threatened under Trump.

Prosecuting threats could become even more difficult in light of a Supreme Court decision this summer in favor of a Colorado man who argued that his harassing messages to a woman on Facebook – including the phrase “Die. Don’t need you” – weren’t intended as threats and should be protected speech. That 7-2 decision, with Justices Clarence Thomas and Amy Coney Barrett dissenting, reversed a lower court’s ruling based on a less rigorous prosecution standard, which maintained that a threat crosses the line if it puts “a reasonable person” in distress.

These figures don’t include ideologically or racially motivated threats or acts of violence that target fellow citizens, which have also been on the rise. In the wake of the unfolding crisis in Israel and Gaza, US officials have warned that such threats against Muslims and Jews have spiked; authorities are also on high alert for possible terrorist activity.

But like dozens of the perpetrators examined by CNN, he was grappling with mental health issues. Smith also was still reeling from a contentious and bitter divorce. Divorce – along with loss of loved ones, solitude and substance abuse – was another recurring theme in the lives of many offenders.

The vast majority of the culprits – more than 90% – are male.

These offenders are, on the whole, better educated, older and more financially secure than people who commit other violent crimes, said LaFree, who works with a database that includes attacks on civilians but does not track threats. (LaFree said the average age of perpetrators in his database is 33. Most violent criminals tend to be in their mid-to-late 20s, according to FBI data.)

Rissi’s son told CNN that his father’s longtime partiality to conspiracy theories went into overdrive a couple of years prior to Trump’s presidency and only picked up steam after Trump took office.

He said his father once bet him $100 that both former President Obama and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would be hung within 30 days.

“How out of touch with reality do you have to be to actually believe that something like that is going to happen?” he said.

The judge sentenced Rissi to two-and-a-half years in prison, exceeding by six months what the prosecution was seeking.

People are unhinged and Trump continues to terrorize our politics.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It almost feels pointless to figure out what's going on with the economy based on any currently available studies, since the resumption of student loan payments probably isn't reflected in the data yet. That's going to be just lovely I'm sure.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm trying to find out the secret to Leonardo DiCaprio's 2010 movie "Inception" from his website. I know people suspect he was mentally ill, but just looking at his website homepage seems like proof. Only a crazy person would design a homepage like this:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

CNN has a report of the threats left against elected officials, read the whole thing here: https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/07/politics/threats-us-public-officials-democracy-invs/index.html

But some highlights:

People are unhinged and Trump continues to terrorize our politics.

That lede

quote:

By the time the FBI first showed up at Kevin Patrick Smith’s home in early February, he’d already left dozens of threatening voice messages for US Senator Jon Tester.

“You stand toe to toe with me, I rip your head off. You die.”

FBI agents admonished Smith – who lived about a mile from the Montana Democrat’s office in Kalispell – to stop the threats, which were making the senator’s staff members afraid to come to work. But the middle-aged contractor couldn’t bring himself to stop. After 10 days, he resumed the calls in ramped-up fashion, leaving messages that now alluded to guns.

The loving FBI shows up at your door and tells you to stop and you can't. That's pathological.

e: this happens like three times in that article to different people, including a 77-yo guy who ended up brandishing a gun on the second visit and got shot and killed

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 7, 2023

nerox
May 20, 2001

I'm trying to find out the secret to Leonardo DiCaprio's 2010 movie "Inception" from his website. I know people suspect he was mentally ill, but just looking at his website homepage seems like proof. Only a crazy person would design a homepage like this:

If the Drudge Report was a professor's website resume.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

That lede

The loving FBI shows up at your door and tells you to stop and you can't. That's pathological.

e: this happens like three times in that article to different people, including a 77-yo guy who ended up brandishing a gun on the second visit and got shot and killed

yeah it sounds to me like alot of these folks are either super online poisoned and are pushing 40 or older and they just get tired of their "little lives". my uncle basicaly believes all the insane Chud conspiracy poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah it sounds to me like alot of these folks are either super online poisoned and are pushing 40 or older and they just get tired of their "little lives". my uncle basicaly believes all the insane Chud conspiracy poo poo.

My father, who grew up in Jackson MS in the mid sixties and was placed into a private school because of integration, absolutely could've gone down that path, but my mother, who is not a liberal but just a decent person, despised Fox News and forbade it from being in the house. He died over the summer and I'm glad that for his entire life he never fell into that spiral and was a pleasant, kind person until the end. You read those stories about Fox News orphans and it's so sad, it's like losing your mom or dad twice. And so many of them describe them as normal, happy people before they fell into the vortex. I've seen that happen with some of my extended family and it's all from right wing media.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What is this, TimeCube?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

My father, who grew up in Jackson MS in the mid sixties and was placed into a private school because of integration, absolutely could've gone down that path, but my mother, who is not a liberal but just a decent person, despised Fox News and forbade it from being in the house. He died over the summer and I'm glad that for his entire life he never fell into that spiral and was a pleasant, kind person until the end. You read those stories about Fox News orphans and it's so sad, it's like losing your mom or dad twice. And so many of them describe them as normal, happy people before they fell into the vortex. I've seen that happen with some of my extended family and it's all from right wing media.

I am happy that my dad isnt fox person, he is conservative, mostly fiscaly but he is mostly a moderate and old, He loving hates what the GOP is now. if its trump, he will vote biden, because trump and january 6th and etc scared the poo poo out of him and i think there are alot of others like him. they dont like biden but the current GOP scares them alot. also he voted for the liberterian in 2016.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

This could be a major thing, but we have to see how it plays out.

The Biden administration is using a legal authority that has never been used before in an attempt to lower the price of prescription drugs.

The short version:

- Any commercial drug that was partially funded by the U.S. government has a provision granting "march-in rights" on the drug if the drug is not "accessible to the public."

This means that the U.S. government can license drugs that are under patent to people who do not hold the patent to produce them.

The intent of the law is for use in situations where a drug is developed with the government, but turns out to be unprofitable or not viable with current technology. If it becomes viable or there is a public need for the drug, then the government can license someone else to produce the drug, even if it is under patent.

- The Biden administration is using a different legal argument in an attempt to trigger march-in rights for some drugs.

Essentially, they are arguing that a drug being prohibitively expensive counts as "not being available to the general public" and can trigger legal authority to assert march-in rights.

This essentially requires companies with drugs under patent that were funded in part or in full by the U.S. government to lower their prices or allow other manufacturers to sell the drug.

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1732776786566488168

Other proposals that are included in this package:

- Launch a program to review hospital merger and acquisition rules to prevent anti-competitive practices or acquisitions.

- Review the "financialization" of the healthcare industry and the practices of providers being bought by private equity firms and implement new regulations if their patient outcomes or prices diverge from the average performance.

- Require Medicare Advantage plans to submit much more detailed data on patient outcomes, costs, ownership, network partnerships, and reimbursement rates. Using this data, they will complete a comprehensive review of the Medicare Advantage program and make adjustments to who is allowed to participate and what practices are allowed.

- Stop insurance brokers from being offered lavish commissions from insurance companies for directing people to their Medicare advantage plans over traditional Medicare or competitors' Medicare Advantage plans.

- Implement new advertising restrictions for Medicare Advantage plans.

Plans that advertise dental and other benefits must actually provide their customers with those benefits. If they advertise benefits, but don't make them available to 2% of their customers or more for any reason, such as difficult referral rules, network restrictions, or other things that make them practically difficult to provide, then they can no longer advertise those services.

- Establish a federal floor of staffing levels for nursing homes that get Medicaid dollars.

Additionally, place limits on how many nursing homes a private equity firm can own in a given region.

- Reform the organ transplant system.

Ending the rule that requires the government contract with a single private entity to provide a monopoly on managing the organ transplant system. Instead, allow other organizations and non-profits who produce better results to take over the contract in areas where the monopoly is underperforming.

Several other different payment and regulation reforms.

Full list and press announcement:
The nursing home stuff is huge. Private equity has decimated the space and made them all understaffed plague spreading death traps. Like I can think of two good nursing homes (good being I wouldn’t be afraid to leave my dog there for an extended length of time, much less a human in need of care) and they are laughably expensive and neither takes Medicare/Medicaid.

The eyeglass thing is a genuine attempt but unless they target EssilorLuxottica directly I don’t think it’ll do much; they own too many of the places you’d take that prescription otherwise.

But yeah, all told this would be amazing if they don’t get stomped by the Supreme Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

zoux posted:

Sorry it's the NY Post but some details on the mass shooter at UNLV yesterday:

“Just so you won’t initially write off my solution as that of a total crackpot, let me first say that I have been a member of MENSA for 35 years"

I'm not sure I've ever seen an argument so quickly defeat itself.