Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I wish Turn A had gotten 100 episodes. Not because it was confusing or rushed as is, it's very well paced, I just would like to see what they would have done with it and it would be nice to be able to spend more time with the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Frankly some or the best Turn A episodes were just random daily life stuff. Just great stuff

Not sure that would of worked for G-reco though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/gundam_ab/status/1732337486968549601?t=fM5JCt_JwgtilBw7Ot8JAQ&s=19

Those sick bastards.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Gotta stick a pair of scissors through the Zaku II FZ card, and rip Bernie’s card to pieces.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Turn A could have had more, and I think it can feel meandering because the entire run is much smaller scale than most Gundam. The show only ramps up to usual levels of Gundam SERIOUSNESS AND DANGER barely by the last 10 episodes. The pace is deliberately slower and more sleepy because thats the setting and that's the goal of Loran's mission on earth. He isn't there to save the world, he's there to learn about the world and we got to go on that trip with him. That he ends up saving it, is just kinda fluff, even for him.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
There should have been a full arc following those guys in a barrel back to Earth.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just have him survive reentry and then a farmer finds him like he's Raditz.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Frankly some or the best Turn A episodes were just random daily life stuff. Just great stuff

G-Reco could absolutely have benefited from more time with the Megafauna crew hanging out in and exploring the strange new cultures they ran into.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Lmao oh G-reco discourse

Silly plebs, it's actually super easy to understand its al about *800 paragraphs later*

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chrome line posted:

I wish Turn A had gotten 100 episodes. Not because it was confusing or rushed as is, it's very well paced, I just would like to see what they would have done with it and it would be nice to be able to spend more time with the characters.

I wish it had gotten 100 episodes because I loved the slow first 25 odd episodes exploring life on Earth through Dianna, and I think it's likely that a 100 episode show would have had a good chunk of episodes dedicated to exploring life on the Moon through Kihel. As is, we got some interesting tidbits about it, but I really wish the show had the time to explore things like the classism between people like Ghingham towards the canal town where Loran grew up, how cold sleep affects society and even individuals etc. I loved that scene of the people just unfrozen getting off the bus and a woman greeting her mother who is now younger than her and Dianna in the finale wondering if she'll ever remember the face of her parents because she's forgotten it over the years despite looking like a 20 year old.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Two of my favorite episodes of Turn-A are "Anis' Cow", which is just about Loran trying to get an old woman to leave her house because the war front is likely to expand to include it and her refusing because it's her house god drat it, and the episode where Dianna works in the war hospital. We never get any real focus on body horror or gore etc, but I think the scenes of Dianna desperately trying to help out any way she can but being sickened by what she sees while all we get are shots of guys with missing limbs bandaged up in cots etc and occasional background scream gets across how bad things can get much more effectively than almost any other scene of death and maiming in the franchise. The fact it's capped with Loran using the Turn-A as a washing machine in order to help Dianna and lift her spirits as Dianna stares up at the bubbles surrounding her is just gravy, because it gives it a really visually and narratively memorable finale that has nothing to do with conflict at all.

I know a lot of people love G-Reco's frentic pace, but I hated it because I love the slower pace of Turn-A personally and every time they got to a new place I wanted the show to take an episode or three to explore it. The station they stop at along the climb on the orbital elevator, Cygnus-5/Towasanga, the giant ocean area of Venus Globe etc. All visually beautiful and interesting places that could offer insight into the factions there and how and why they've developed the way they have that the show is too condensed due to it's episode order (and Tomino's underlying health as 75 year old man) and the sheer breadth of stuff he wanted to include regardless.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Turn A could have had more, and I think it can feel meandering because the entire run is much smaller scale than most Gundam. The show only ramps up to usual levels of Gundam SERIOUSNESS AND DANGER barely by the last 10 episodes. The pace is deliberately slower and more sleepy because thats the setting and that's the goal of Loran's mission on earth. He isn't there to save the world, he's there to learn about the world and we got to go on that trip with him. That he ends up saving it, is just kinda fluff, even for him.

I disagree personally, and would argue that the role of learning about the world in Turn-A goes to Dianna and not Loran. Dianna is just after arriving on Earth, a place she's dreamt of all her life, and is free from the constraints of office and responsibility for the first time in her life, so it's through her that we see a lot of the beauty in life on Earth. Loran shares a good few of those scenes with her given their relationship, but ultimately, it's Dianna that we experience that through for the most part because Loran has already been living on Earth for 2 years by the time the show proper starts, and had a much more similar start in life in the canals on the Moon anyway. His mission from the start of the conflict is to give Earth/Ameria martial strength in order to provide some balance to the negotiations, because otherwise the Moon would use the power disparity to stream roll Ameria. He's focused on ending the fighting and supporting negotiations for most of the show.

I think you could make a decent argument that Dianna is actually the protagonist of Turn-A and not Loran. I don't realistically think it's really true, even having expanded that argument here in the past, because ultimately it's a show aimed at young boys and we follow Loran's POV for huge chunks of the show, but I do think Tomino and the show's staff wanted Dianna to be a pretty central figure regardless of the demographic; more so than most supporting female characters within the franchise even now. I'm still disappointed that Tomino went into G-Reco with the idea of exploring a "big sis" type character and sets up an interesting arc for Aida for instance, including having multiple characters begging her to take command even a few episodes from the finale, only for her to burst into tears while exclaiming that she can't do it and the show ending with her just stepping in to declare the war over rather than really becoming the central command figure she's set up to be.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 6, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

Lmao oh G-reco discourse

Silly plebs, it's actually super easy to understand its al about *800 paragraphs later*

I would write about as much for most Gundam series, which is why I also included a tl;dr at the end.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what the gently caress is going on here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71myRa3wTJg

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's fun to see Char in the Dijeh, at the very least. Is that Gates Cappa in the Byarlant? Is that the most he's gotten to do on screen, if so? I don't recall him doing much in Zeta itself, though it's been years since I saw it properly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

what the gently caress is going on here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71myRa3wTJg

It's a New Translation-style retelling of the Kilimanjaro fight that was cut from A New Translation, but modified to focus around Rosamia and Gates Capa instead since Four is For Sure Dead in that timeline.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
First time I'm saying this but I think Shuichi Ikeda is finally starting to sound older.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

It's fun to see Char in the Dijeh, at the very least. Is that Gates Cappa in the Byarlant? Is that the most he's gotten to do on screen, if so? I don't recall him doing much in Zeta itself, though it's been years since I saw it properly.

Char also gets a Dijeh in the Return of Johnny Ridden. Maybe this is where he got a taste for it.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Sextro posted:

I honestly agree with this. I've only ever watched Turn A once because it feels tedious to rewatch.

Turn-A's compilation movies are bad even by compilation movie standards but it is kind of funny that between the two movies they just looked at a big chunk of the middle of the series and thought "nah" and skipped it entirely.

Straight from the nuclear detonation incident being the climax of the first movie to opening the second with Gym and the Turn-X I think it was.

BlackLagoon
Jul 4, 2023

SgtSteel91 posted:

I'm watching the JP dub on Crunchyroll, is the Ocean dub (legally) available anywhere?
You'd either have to buy the Ultimate Edition Blu-rays, or track down the original DVDs. For streaming the closest you'll get is tracking down the fan made audio tracks that syncs the Ocean dub to the HD footage and play it alongside the legal video stream.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Seemlar posted:

Turn-A's compilation movies are bad even by compilation movie standards but it is kind of funny that between the two movies they just looked at a big chunk of the middle of the series and thought "nah" and skipped it entirely.

Straight from the nuclear detonation incident being the climax of the first movie to opening the second with Gym and the Turn-X I think it was.

I mean, Turn A is kind of the worst Gundam show to make compilation movies for anyway. Largely episodic, the "main villain" doesn't show up for most of the series, there's no single running objective, and the sides shift rapidly. You can't compress it down so much as you can pick the stories to tell.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I just came back from Japan about a week ago and I just couldn't get enough Arsenal Base. I played it every night at the arcade located near my hotel.

I was there just in time for them to release Season 4 halfway through my stay, so I got all extra excited about the game during my stay. God I want to play this game again. I hate how it's Japan exclusive but I get it.

I recorded the Zaku II FZ sp attack animation because I thought it was pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny5S2JPpbPY

I just realized I didn't manage to pull an NT-1 :(

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gates seems way better a pilot than jerid btw, lol

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I mean obviously. Does Jerid get a single W? He kills Four but I don't feel like that really counts

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Jerid's claim to fame is not dying when repeatedly placed in combat against monster pilots

I don't think he ever accomplishes anything of note in combat. Maybe you can count killing kamile's mom. It's been a while since I last saw zeta though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerid is generally shown to be a competent pilot in a world of loving insane Newtype killbeasts. He certainly seems to hold the advantage over anyone who isn't a main protagonist. He just has a rival who is a Newtype killbeast and is determined to defeat him without being Asemu Asuno level.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 7, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Jerid is generally shown to not even really be the equal of some of the other Titans non-newtype aces. Lila makes fun of him for being mediocre at piloting in space and of course Jerid has absolutely nothing on Yazan. He's just extremely resilient and lucky and gains a ton of experience by virtue of not dying.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Revitalized posted:

I just came back from Japan about a week ago and I just couldn't get enough Arsenal Base. I played it every night at the arcade located near my hotel.

I was there just in time for them to release Season 4 halfway through my stay, so I got all extra excited about the game during my stay. God I want to play this game again. I hate how it's Japan exclusive but I get it.

I recorded the Zaku II FZ sp attack animation because I thought it was pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny5S2JPpbPY

I just realized I didn't manage to pull an NT-1 :(

I've always been jealous we don't get card games like that. A local arcade had an old one that was like, dinosaurs or some poo poo and it was fun as hell.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kanos posted:

Jerid is generally shown to not even really be the equal of some of the other Titans non-newtype aces. Lila makes fun of him for being mediocre at piloting in space and of course Jerid has absolutely nothing on Yazan. He's just extremely resilient and lucky and gains a ton of experience by virtue of not dying.

Jerid is a perfect example of only failing upward because he keeps getting promoted all throughout Zeta.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Jerid is a perfect example of only failing upward because he keeps getting promoted all throughout Zeta.

I mean, outliving your peers is how Gato got where he did. The number of surviving Zeon aces who stay in Earth Sphere and also still are willing to support "Zabist" types like Delaz are kinda slim. Most either straight up died or had enough sense to gently caress off or just stay away from the lost causers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

War ain't about winning, it's about not losing

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

ImpAtom posted:

Jerid is generally shown to be a competent pilot in a world of loving insane Newtype killbeasts. He certainly seems to hold the advantage over anyone who isn't a main protagonist. He just has a rival who is a Newtype killbeast and is determined to defeat him without being Asemu Asuno level.

Did you just drop an AGE reference?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Strange, but it did happen!

Jerid also nearly managed a mutual kill against Kamille in the Zeta once, which suggests he's pretty decent. He's just not a beast like Yazan or Amuro.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I just finished the G Reco films by watching 4 and 5 tonight. It wasn’t too difficult to follow, except for the fact that I watched 1 through 3 years ago when they were last free on YouTube.

General thoughts behind spoilers:

I’m not certain that the ending fully gelled for me. They definitely managed to destroy most of the mobile suits and kill the most immediately culpable warmongers. But things just didn’t feel terribly resolved around the motivations of the Reconguista or war for the sake of revitalizing humanity. Mask’s grudge against Bellri just kinda stops?

It was neat that Tomino was trying something fairly fresh, and I loved the mobile suit designs. All the factional flunkies and the Megafauna supporting cast were the standout characters for me.

Do you think Chickara was actually super buff, or was it just her body suit?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

I just finished the G Reco films by watching 4 and 5 tonight. It wasn’t too difficult to follow, except for the fact that I watched 1 through 3 years ago when they were last free on YouTube.

General thoughts behind spoilers:

I’m not certain that the ending fully gelled for me. They definitely managed to destroy most of the mobile suits and kill the most immediately culpable warmongers. But things just didn’t feel terribly resolved around the motivations of the Reconguista or war for the sake of revitalizing humanity. Mask’s grudge against Bellri just kinda stops?

It was neat that Tomino was trying something fairly fresh, and I loved the mobile suit designs. All the factional flunkies and the Megafauna supporting cast were the standout characters for me.

Do you think Chickara was actually super buff, or was it just her body suit?

Odd she was doing so much exercise if she was just wearing a suit. Not unbelievable, but odd.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/ar031995/status/1733148275661013272?t=HCleUiC24FaYlSgTWB9MaA&s=19

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

tsob posted:

I disagree personally, and would argue that the role of learning about the world in Turn-A goes to Dianna and not Loran. Dianna is just after arriving on Earth, a place she's dreamt of all her life, and is free from the constraints of office and responsibility for the first time in her life, so it's through her that we see a lot of the beauty in life on Earth. Loran shares a good few of those scenes with her given their relationship, but ultimately, it's Dianna that we experience that through for the most part because Loran has already been living on Earth for 2 years by the time the show proper starts, and had a much more similar start in life in the canals on the Moon anyway. His mission from the start of the conflict is to give Earth/Ameria martial strength in order to provide some balance to the negotiations, because otherwise the Moon would use the power disparity to stream roll Ameria. He's focused on ending the fighting and supporting negotiations for most of the show.

I think you could make a decent argument that Dianna is actually the protagonist of Turn-A and not Loran. I don't realistically think it's really true, even having expanded that argument here in the past, because ultimately it's a show aimed at young boys and we follow Loran's POV for huge chunks of the show, but I do think Tomino and the show's staff wanted Dianna to be a pretty central figure regardless of the demographic; more so than most supporting female characters within the franchise even now. I'm still disappointed that Tomino went into G-Reco with the idea of exploring a "big sis" type character and sets up an interesting arc for Aida for instance, including having multiple characters begging her to take command even a few episodes from the finale, only for her to burst into tears while exclaiming that she can't do it and the show ending with her just stepping in to declare the war over rather than really becoming the central command figure she's set up to be.

We often disagree and that's fine, but you admit the majority of the perspective is shown through and with Loran. Diana/Kihel are sorta co protagnists with him from a plot structure perspective, but their actual perspective is only shown through the eyes of Loran and their exposition to him and others. We are on Loran's journey of discovering the beauty of the earth sphere and why it needs to be protected, not conquered or remade. He does a lot of sharing with both sides about their commonality and connection which is more central than Diana realizing she's been a sleepy space princess for a long time. We do agree that Turn A could have been fleshed out more and it would have been very good on the whole to see a lot more of the Moon societal dynamics and give a little more time to folks other than Loran to really provide engaging moments of world building. They exist but they are def shortened and condensed compared to what 100 episodes of the setting could have provided.

That his actions are mostly peace making/helping negotiate is rooted in the journey he started during the 2 years from his arrival, then through the connections he's made with all sides through the show. He really isn't a soldier in the way that Amuro and a lot of other Gundam protagonists end up so I think rooting his role in his being martial power/the Turn A's pilot is kinda missing the point of his role/story. The MS stuff is almost always secondary in Turn A which is part of what makes it so good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

There are precious few comparison points in Gundam for "oldtype who beats Newtypes"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yazan.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Garrod had a character arc explicitly about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yes but if I think of Garrod I have to think of Garrod's voice and that isn't fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Didn't Harry Ord fight Merrybell?