Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

~Coxy posted:

I'm sorry for not answering the question asked, but I really find it unlikely that you can even watch the same film with 4 people on a plane. Even 3 would be tough.
Even worse for the Switch, unless you brought a portable monitor.

I'm guessing it's probably 2 kids in laps, and the headphones are to keep them as quiet as possible not to annoy other travelers. Pretty common thing for parents traveling with young kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Buy more iPads

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yeah I know 4 is pushing it but it was just coverage for the worst case. We also have 15” laptop and 12.9 gen2 iPad which is big enough for 3ppl on a plane. 4ppl impossible on plane usually unless you have the middle 4 seats but then one person won’t be able to see poo poo.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I wonder whether you can use multiple sets of USB-C headphones simultaneously on an iPad (or 15, I guess!)

oh, I probably have enough devices to do it here.
Using a 15 Pro and a Thunderbolt dock, I can't get output out of multiple USB devices at the same time.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 7, 2023

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
loving google maps. They made a change to it so pulling down no longer refreshes public transport routes, but instead it minimizes the bottom pane.

Okay what’s the least garbage maps app on ios.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple Maps

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Apple Maps

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Google Maps

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Apple Maps won’t load the route I take to work when I turn highways off but Google Maps will so that’s basically all there is to it

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

Apple Maps won’t load the route I take to work when I turn highways off but Google Maps will so that’s basically all there is to it

I’ve found that the Apple Maps team is very responsive if you contact them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve thought about it but it’d be a weird request, since Apple Maps is correct to consider Route 29 a highway but Google Maps gives me what I really want which is “not Interstate 66.”

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The real answer is that every mapping program is gonna have some weird, showstopper quirk that fucks up your commute so you need to test a couple and pick the least bad option.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

FCKGW posted:

The real answer is that every mapping program is gonna have some weird, showstopper quirk that fucks up your commute so you need to test a couple and pick the least bad option.

Apple Maps: Drive through every avoidable school zone on the commute.
Google Maps: Use this dirt road that actually makes the commute longer.
In-car Navigation: Keep taking highway exits and then immediately get back on the highway. Also use that dirt road and those school zones.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Branch Nvidian posted:

In-car Navigation: Keep taking highway exits and then immediately get back on the highway.

Back in the dark ages of tech I had a Garmin GPS do this to me in NY state once, but the worst part it was a toll highway. :shepface:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

Apple Maps: Drive through every avoidable school zone on the commute.
Google Maps: Use this dirt road that actually makes the commute longer.
In-car Navigation: Keep taking highway exits and then immediately get back on the highway. Also use that dirt road and those school zones.

You forgot waze having you sit at every single left turn because it decided this will save you 2 seconds on the drive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

You forgot waze having you sit at every single left turn because it decided this will save you 2 seconds on the drive.

Yeah for real gently caress Waze. I’d rather sit on the freeway for an extra 5 minutes.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Making 30 turns and flooring it through 1/40th sections of sideroads is just the Waze cost of saving a second.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would simply live somewhere that I can use transit and not need a GPS to tell me how to get to work every day even though I take the exact same route every time.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

is there a way to get google maps to stop prompting you with a new route and then automatically redirecting you after 10 seconds?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah use Apple Maps.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah for real gently caress Waze. I’d rather sit on the freeway for an extra 5 minutes.

Waze: Lets ruin every pedestrian area so people in their SUVs and trucks can feel better about not sitting in traffic, even though it takes the same time to get there.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Skeezy posted:

Yeah use Apple Maps.

I usually do but I tried google again a couple of weekends ago because apple maps was giving me a route that seemed to detour hours out of the way and had a dirt road warning

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Google Maps has a eco friendly mode which is how I realized I should accept being stuck on the shorter and more congested freeway instead of blazing down the longer emptier one at 90mph.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’ve thought about it but it’d be a weird request, since Apple Maps is correct to consider Route 29 a highway but Google Maps gives me what I really want which is “not Interstate 66.”

We got Lightning McQueen over here.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If Apple Maps had better real-time info (traffic, cops, etc) in my area I would use it in a heartbeat. For now it's Waze.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Some phones just have goofy GPS radios. My buds phone, whatever it is (not an iPhone) has a large variance that every time he's on the freeway and is nearing an exit that he he doesn't want to take, Google Maps will go down that path recalculate the route, realize they didn't exit and recalculate back to the original route. We tested with my iPhone 13 and it was much more consistent on staying on track.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My biggest Apple Maps pet peeve:

When I pick a route that's not necessarily the fastest route (maybe i want to take the scenic route), but then I miss a turn, when it recalculates it completely changes the route back to the fastest one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

If Apple Maps had better real-time info (traffic, cops, etc) in my area I would use it in a heartbeat. For now it's Waze.

Yep, when I go on longer trips, it's always Waze for me for traffic and cops. Apple Maps, otherwise.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My biggest mapping wish list item:

MUTE FOR THE FIRST 10 MINUTES OF THE TRIP

I set the nav to my destination 500 miles away upon starting the car so I don't have to do it later while driving, but it insists on explaining patiently to me turn by turn how to get out of my own loving driveway. I know how to get on the 95 god dammit

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I would simply live somewhere that I can use transit and not need a GPS to tell me how to get to work every day even though I take the exact same route every time.

I think if you took maybe five or six seconds to think about it you’d understand the purpose of using GPS when you already know the route

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think if you took maybe five or six seconds to think about it you’d understand the purpose of using GPS when you already know the route
Apparently it's so you can complain about it not being able to read your mind

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I believe in you. You can do it

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Tiny Timbs posted:

Traffic and obstructions and speed trap reports though.

It is somewhat baffling how after all this time nav apps are still so barebones though. I guess they figure mainstream apps can't have any complexity, even hidden, lest you freak out the normies. Power user nav apps must exist but i suppose you'd have to pay a subscription fee.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

When I pick a route that's not necessarily the fastest route (maybe i want to take the scenic route), but then I miss a turn, when it recalculates it completely changes the route back to the fastest one.

Drives me insane. I take a different exit leaving the parking lot of this gas station and an hour later I realize I’m on a different freeway than the one I mapped out when filling up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Google Maps has been really good about adjusting to the days when I want to take the scenic route and giving me sensible alternates to go around traffic, accidents, and so on. I mained Apple Maps for a month or so and saw the same issue you did, where it was super rigid about sticking to a main route.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Hdip posted:

A lot of kids headphones have the cord go into one ear. Then in the other ear you can plug in another set of headphones. Keep it rolling as far as you like. For example. Not sure I bought that exact model for my kids. They were iClever branded though. Look at the last photo in this listing.

https://www.amazon.com/Headphones-M...8cda0eef7e&th=1

Huh that’s neat. But not seeing many models with that feature. I’ll probably stick to a splitter tho. Splitter seems easier to manage with less points of failure. What a time to be alive!

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Okay I’ll try using Apple Maps again.

I will never ever loving use waze.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I wish I could throw a geofence on my neighborhood. Don’t start talking to
Me until I get out of the area I know like the back of my hand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have vocals on all gps apps disabled because they're so insanely verbose.

"in 2 miles take the exit for fuckoff street route 69 towards shitbag town"

Listen siri I got music playing I don't need you talking that much over the tunes. Just tell me to turn right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Data Graham posted:

My biggest mapping wish list item:

MUTE FOR THE FIRST 10 MINUTES OF THE TRIP

This wouldn’t be an issue if it was easy to turn on/off the spoken directions, but it takes like 4 taps of the screen on a very small button to do this (in Apple Maps).

You used to be able to do it just by tapping the giant black box that has the next turn in it, but they changed it like two OS upgrades ago and I hate it

Also, for the people who like Waze’s speed trap notifications but hate everything else about it - if you’re using CarPlay, you can use Apple Maps but open Waze in the background and don’t set a route. Even when you switch to Apple Maps, Waze will keep running and alert you to any speed traps or other notifications.