Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Funzo posted:

Concordia was actually on my list since I own it already. Is it worth getting any of the expansions?
If you have the original base game (ie not the Venus base game) then I'd consider

- The Venus expansion if you want to play teams
- Solitaria if you want solo/2P co-op
- A map pack if you want to play 2P. The original Italia map is slightly too big to be ideal for 2P. Aegyptus/Creta is one option.

There's also a new expansion that looks unusual and I don't know much about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ark Nova's expansion is a lot of fun. They address the new card dilution by having nearly all of them push the market down, meaning every time you draw one to the market another non-marine card is guaranteed to appear. Never had an issue with the new universities as we just take a chunk off the top of the deck and sift through it quickly to find the animal. The cards you search get shoved to the bottom of the deck so it's not like it matters what you saw. I like most of the alt action cards. But still, if you don't like Ark Nova in the first place the expansion isn't going to sway you.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you have the original base game (ie not the Venus base game) then I'd consider

- The Venus expansion if you want to play teams
- Solitaria if you want solo/2P co-op
- A map pack if you want to play 2P. The original Italia map is slightly too big to be ideal for 2P. Aegyptus/Creta is one option.

There's also a new expansion that looks unusual and I don't know much about it.

The map threads on BGG have suggestions about modifying Imperium and Ionium into 2-player maps. (I think 2p Ionium "Mini" is detailed in Venus instructions IIRC.)

I like the Salsa expansion, but don't think it's mandatory, just additional fun if you've already played the game and enjoyed it.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Funzo posted:

1. Has to be good at 5 players, since that's how many of us there are.
2. Playable under 3 hours, preferably around 2.
3. Actually available to buy.

Who's got thoughts?

All the above recommendations are good. What games have been a hit for you group and what games have been a miss?

Oath is great for a group that likes politicking and drawing up alliances constantly but falls flat for a group that wants to each have an equal chance to win at the start or don’t really have a meta narrative. If you’re not super familiar with Wherle’s games then it can be tough to jump in on.

18xx are great if you’ve played them before and are ready to slit each others throats for a dollar but a less competitive group will probably struggle to see much friction.

Sideareal Confluence is fantastic of course and improves as your get more familiar and creative with the kinds of trades you can make but a more passive group may not enjoy having to actually speak to each other to get things happening. It’s much more like “I scratch your back” than “take that”.

Almost anything Knizia is good of course. I’ll also throw in The King’s Dilemma - plays ideally with 5 and sessioning it is definitely the best way to play, but it may not be finished by the end of the weekend - there’s about ~20 hours in the box, although if you played them fast, closer to 15.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Funzo posted:

So every year some friends and I get an AirBnB somewhere and spend a long weekend playing board games. Usually we end up playing a lot of different games, but we only end up playing them once. We're trying something new this year, and going for fewer games, but playing them more then once to get more out of them. I'm trying to figure out what to bring this year, so I thought I'd check with the great hive mind. Here's the criteria for what I'm considering:

Who's got thoughts?

Nthing Concordia. I would also throw in Earth (aka "Wingspan but good"), Orleans with Trade and Intrigue (only 4 from the box, but there's a 5P kit), and Legendary Encounters: Alien.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Ark Nova's expansion is a lot of fun. They address the new card dilution by having nearly all of them push the market down, meaning every time you draw one to the market another non-marine card is guaranteed to appear. Never had an issue with the new universities as we just take a chunk off the top of the deck and sift through it quickly to find the animal. The cards you search get shoved to the bottom of the deck so it's not like it matters what you saw. I like most of the alt action cards. But still, if you don't like Ark Nova in the first place the expansion isn't going to sway you.

There are ~29 wave cards in a 300 card deck? And as much as they wave new cards in they wave card out as well so they don't actually increase the availability of specific cards. The dilution of the specific cards is about the same. With Marine there are proportionally fewer predators in the deck than before.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The deck went from 11% predators to 10.7% predators, you're not gonna notice the difference.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm not out to try and convince anyone to like AN. I get why people don't like it, even if I don't agree. I really enjoy manipulating and managing randomness as a game concept. I have a friend who doesn't enjoy it because he loses too much, and you know, we'll just play some other game when we're together.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think between Real life and online I've played maybe 30 games of Ark Nova now and it's fine, happy to play it.

I just don't think , other than the balance changes, that the Marine expansion adds a lot to the experience. The Balance changes feel like a must really and probably shouldn't just come in a £40 expansion.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I Love You! posted:

- Massive "luck of the draw" component combines with action selection mechanism that is largely on rails (you virtually always take the 4-5 point actions) reduces player choices even further

I agree with most of the criticism but personally I think the action selection mechanics are one of the things the game does right. Yes you're mostly just taking the high value actions but the game sprinkles in juuust enough X-tokens that deciding when and how to earn and spend them is a neat puzzle and figuring out how to chain together the actions you need when they're not quite in the right order feels really good. It's a shame it's attached to such a mediocre game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

It's a shame it's attached to such a mediocre game.

you could try Civilization: A New Dawn, which AN directly copied the action selection mechanism from

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Oh snap, thanks! I thought there was probably something like that out there but my searches weren't having much success.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Funzo posted:

So every year some friends and I get an AirBnB somewhere and spend a long weekend playing board games. Usually we end up playing a lot of different games, but we only end up playing them once. We're trying something new this year, and going for fewer games, but playing them more then once to get more out of them. I'm trying to figure out what to bring this year, so I thought I'd check with the great hive mind. Here's the criteria for what I'm considering:

Who's got thoughts?

Controversial opinion: I'd mix some Cosmic Encounter in there if your group has the right mindset (not too serious; can appreciate landing a good screwjob on someone more than winning the game; etc.). It's good at 5 (and needs 5 with the base set to be good), playable at 2 hours per round or so, and is commercially available last I checked. Note that it's not a great boardgame in the classical sense, but it's an excellent experience generator. A nice break from the succession of dry Euros.

Mix some of that in with Concordia and Sidereal Confluence, maybe Orleáns, and you've got yourself a stew going.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
This past weekend, I hung out with some friends who had a copy of Wingspan. It was loaned to them by some other friends, who wanted them to learn how to play so they could teach the game. So we learned it together. That was a very fun game. I was surprised how easy it was to learn and then get into the groove once everything clicked. Good stuff.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Is there a recommended generic assortment of plano boxes or similar for repackaging board game bit in boxes? Just looking for cheap and useful that could be applied across various games, not looking for a specific storage solution for any given game.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I truly love Hugo's Amazing Tape for all sorts of cards. It's plastic that only sticks to itself.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

It's also just bondage tape with a higher markup, isn't it?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Admiralty Flag posted:

Controversial opinion: I'd mix some Cosmic Encounter in there if your group has the right mindset (not too serious; can appreciate landing a good screwjob on someone more than winning the game; etc.). It's good at 5 (and needs 5 with the base set to be good), playable at 2 hours per round or so, and is commercially available last I checked. Note that it's not a great boardgame in the classical sense, but it's an excellent experience generator. A nice break from the succession of dry Euros.

Mix some of that in with Concordia and Sidereal Confluence, maybe Orleáns, and you've got yourself a stew going.

I would make sure folks have a sense for the game before starting. I really hate Cosmic, but my first playthroughs the description seemed like something I'd like. It's can be very gamer specific so even if people are excited for the first game, make sure they're still enjoying it after that play.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Carillon posted:

I would make sure folks have a sense for the game before starting. I really hate Cosmic, but my first playthroughs the description seemed like something I'd like. It's can be very gamer specific so even if people are excited for the first game, make sure they're still enjoying it after that play.

Even though I'm the guy who recommended CE, I'm 100% in agreement with you. With the "wrong" group -- that is, a group that's just not in synch with the metagame of screwing each other over for a laugh and flipping over surprises and playful vindictiveness and such -- it's a bust. With the right group, it sings.* The catch is knowing your group in the first place to make sure they're good candidates, and then making sure they're all on-board for it before and after the first game.

(* About 1 in 15 to 1 in 20 times, if you do extreme cheese like multiple secret powers, you'll get a deadlocked game that threatens to run on and on and on. Best to have a group that's willing to throw in the towel and/or throw the victory to the least annoying player so a new game can get started.)

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Absolutely, and you did a good job of talking about what type of group is needed! I just remember reading about CE and being excited for it only to have it fall flat more me. So it's good to have checkins, but if the group loves it I can see that being a nice palate cleanser.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yeah, while I've definitely gone through a CE phase that was a long time ago and I have no real desire to ever play it again. The alien powers can be delightfully wild when combining them together, but I think the most fun part of the game is the simple joy in revealing your powers (and complaining about your opponents' powers) which doesn't necessarily translate into a particularly noteworth gameplay experience after that initial shine wears off. I don't think the cardplay, jostling for position, etc. are actually very fun so you really have to enjoy the asymmetry of the game enough to carry you through the experience as a whole.

I have had a lot of fun times with it but that said I can't imagine ever wanting to play it, especially over something like Sidereal Confluence (which shares a ton of DNA), unless I was dealing with players very new to asymetric gameplay who were REALLY into the idea. I think games have just gotten a lot better since CE came out and it feels more like a gimmick experience at this point than a cohesive, enjoyable game.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 8, 2023

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Someone is selling a copy of A Handful of Stars in a local buy/sell and curious if people have thoughts on it? The game has always fascinated me a bit because A) Wallace B) 2P C) deck-builder with a board state.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

FulsomFrank posted:

Someone is selling a copy of A Handful of Stars in a local buy/sell and curious if people have thoughts on it? The game has always fascinated me a bit because A) Wallace B) 2P C) deck-builder with a board state.

I think it's his best hybrid deck builder. Finally smoothed off all the rough edges.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just played Stationfall. I get the hype. It does seem like some of the characters are a bit weaker than the rest (and a couple stronger), and, if the odds are against you, you could go Down early and be forced to soft reveal ("Why is James dragging that nanogel all the way to the Stranger? Ooh..."), but I had a blast. 150 minutes but it was a first game for 5/6 players, and we were playing teams, so additional time for plotting and scheming.

I played the Billionaire, and made a mad dash for the two-person panic boat that was about to launch, Kompromating myself to get the third move to make it onboard, after bribing the Station Chief to step out of the boat to make room for me and my pug (I had to share it with a filthy maintenance clone, losing my team the game). My teammate and I tied the winners with 14 points, but we lost the tiebreaker. Can't wait to play it again.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

FulsomFrank posted:

I’ve had it for years and never gotten around to playing it. I think there are some errata or misprints you may want to check BGG about if you get it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Admiralty Flag posted:

Just played Stationfall. I get the hype. It does seem like some of the characters are a bit weaker than the rest (and a couple stronger), and, if the odds are against you, you could go Down early and be forced to soft reveal ("Why is James dragging that nanogel all the way to the Stranger? Ooh..."), but I had a blast. 150 minutes but it was a first game for 5/6 players, and we were playing teams, so additional time for plotting and scheming.

I played the Billionaire, and made a mad dash for the two-person panic boat that was about to launch, Kompromating myself to get the third move to make it onboard, after bribing the Station Chief to step out of the boat to make room for me and my pug (I had to share it with a filthy maintenance clone, losing my team the game). My teammate and I tied the winners with 14 points, but we lost the tiebreaker. Can't wait to play it again.

We spent a few weeks playing a bunch of Stationfall at 4 players, so 6 games in 3 weeks. Having previously played it at 6 where it's very chaotic and hard to do things at 4 players it's a bit of a revelation as to what a good game it is.

At 6 players you can struggle to achieve a goal which is not kill everyone because there are so many actions between your turns but at 4 you can really plan ahead and get things done.

The weirdest game we played we accidentally softlocked the game at the very end because the X Project was the wormhole. I was the Data Assistant and someone else was the Microbiologist and we made the other 2 players primary PCs escape really early. Threw some firebombs around and the last 2 turns there was only 1 character who could be activated at all. Still it's was a close game, 11,10,9, 5 I think it ended.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Just did the first four flights of Sky Team (2 player co-op only). It's one of those games that asks you to keep a bunch of plates spinning while trying to trip you up. We had a pretty good time with it, it's a bit easy to start but that's okay because I can see how hard it gets later.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

Just did the first four flights of Sky Team (2 player co-op only). It's one of those games that asks you to keep a bunch of plates spinning while trying to trip you up. We had a pretty good time with it, it's a bit easy to start but that's okay because I can see how hard it gets later.

The implementation on BGA is very good for this.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Any holiday recommendations for roll-and-writes? My brother-in-law and sister have taken a liking to them recently.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Cartographers!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Cartographers!

Oh hell yeah I forgot that one, love that one thanks! Fantasy theme is perfect for them too!

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Bellmaker posted:

Any holiday recommendations for roll-and-writes? My brother-in-law and sister have taken a liking to them recently.

There's Super-Skill Pinball: Holiday Special https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/367978/super-skill-pinball-holiday-special

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's StegegetS Moomin, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzS5pwqrfII

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
We've been having a great time with Welcome To.. the Moon - 8 very different roll and writes on the same engine, coupled with a little legacy campaign, works great for us.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Bellmaker posted:

The Fox Experiment!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I played my first game of Root and I was the fascists kitties and it was the worst experience of my life. 10/10 can't wait to play birb

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The teacher should play cats so no one else has to suffer.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

I played my first game of Root and I was the fascists kitties and it was the worst experience of my life. 10/10 can't wait to play birb

Play as the People's Furry Liberation Army next time. :ussr:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

SettingSun posted:

The teacher should play cats so no one else has to suffer.

:catte:s are definitely not as strong as the game sets them up as, whichever player takes their seat needs to be ready to be a punching bag for most of the session

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't think the cats are fascists, just because fascism hadn't been formulated at the time of aggressive colonial expansion.