Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
But there is evidence that things do change - we have weekends and maternity pay and the nhs and whatever. That came because the political will and power was there for it. I certainly can't see how our current politicians would ever meaningfully expand the welfare state for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Things can, yeah, but my point is just that I think the state itself naturally gravitates towards making a prison of the world. And has for a very long time. Any good things that happen, happen against the current, not because of it. I don't think what you're seeing is an especially new phenomenon, what you're seeing is just what the british government does most of the time.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, back in the Cold War, you had two competing systems, which required UK politicians to actively choose which one to support, and to what extent. And having the alternative of Communism meant that our capitalist system had to be a lot more careful about ensuring that ordinary people saw at least some of the fruits of growth.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

But there is evidence that things do change - we have weekends and maternity pay and the nhs and whatever. That came because the political will and power was there for it. I certainly can't see how our current politicians would ever meaningfully expand the welfare state for example

Regression is also change.

We got the welfare state because we went from World War 1 into the Great Depression right into World War 2. The USSR was there as a big loving nasty gargoyle hovering over you letting you know what could happens if you don't shape up, so capital accepted some reform in place for not having their wealth completely expropriated. Because otherwise you could end up with a whole lot of trained soldiers with battle experience who suddenly felt like they deserved more & that'd not have gone well.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Sanford posted:

When pigfucker came back recently, didn’t someone confirm a lord can be PM? If Rishi is ousted, then maybe cometh the hour, cometh the man?

Has anyone checked to see if #DaveyCambo is trending?

Anyone can be Prime Minister, you don’t have to be an MP or even elected, you just have to be a person that commands the support of the party with a majority of MPs.

Now, by convention we’ve decided that you do need to be an MP/a Lord/the leader of the majority party but like most of our political processes that’s all it is, a convention.

If enough of the Tory party believed Farage would win them the next election there’s nothing to stop them making him Prime Minister even while he’s still in the loving jungle.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 7, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

What the gently caress do we even have to look forward to as a country?
Climate change rapidly entering the “find out” phase and possibly leading to the collapse of capitalism in our lifetime?

ThomasPaine posted:

What really gets me is that I genuinely don't understand why our politicians are so committed to everything being terrible forever.
The ones making all the noise and terrible policies are just very, very stupid. Most of the others are just lazy careerists who will go along with whatever.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

The slow ideological death of the Labour Party makes me very sad, but I suppose it's kinda funny that the guy who gets to put the final nail in the coffin is called Keir

After Hardie, no less.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Boris is probably the best example of why many modern politicians are awful: he wanted to be Prime Minister because it was his ambition. To be 'top dog'.
When becoming Prime Minister is all about getting what you want, and there's no specific ideology guiding you, you'll do whatever you can to get there, which likely involves loving over a bunch of people at every turn. And that's fine for you, because You Deserve It.

And telling people things are poo poo, and they're only going to get shittier is just managing expectations. If people expect things to get shittier, they will actually be more accepting when they do. If you tell people things will improve, they'll expect them to improve.
And there's literally no incentive for you to try to make people's lives better since your only goal is to become Prime Minister and stay Prime Minister until you've wrung every molecule of satisfaction you can. And you can do that - as we've seen - by simply telling people to get used to living their lives neck-deep in poo poo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cameron said he wanted to be PM because he he thought he'd be "quite good at it" and then irreparably damaged the country and pissed off.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I also thought I'd be quite a good PM at one point, but unfortunately I went to a school outside of Inverness that cost my parents nothing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

kingturnip posted:

Boris is probably the best example of why many modern politicians are awful: he wanted to be Prime Minister because it was his ambition. To be 'top dog'.

Not only that, but wasn't it Boris that thought he might stand a chance of being the first person to be both PM and US President but then he accidently let his US citizenship lapse?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1732737926751002858

:allears:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PriorMarcus posted:

Not only that, but wasn't it Boris that thought he might stand a chance of being the first person to be both PM and US President but then he accidently let his US citizenship lapse?

I doubt it was accidental, he probably didn't feel like paying taxes over there

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Remember that time Liz Truss got lost in a room

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Remember that there are less than 400 MPs in parliament. There's plenty of positions to fill lower down from which the right people can be identified and the good ones can be blocked from the levers of power.

There's 650?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think they meant in the party in power, but yes there's 649 plus the speaker.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

NORMAN!

WHAT IS A """MEEM""", NORMAN?!?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

That meme was new and funny, when? Around about the time Johnson got elected?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

NORMAN!

WHAT IS A """MEEM""", NORMAN?!?
I know you know what it is Norman, I seen you looking at those young girls on the tick tock when you try to angle your phone away.

Ask them what the meem is, then tell them to put on some proper undergarments.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I genuinely worked with someone a few years back who referred to them in a meeting as “May - Mays”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Extremely cursed Theresa May/Hawaiian goose cross.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

smellmycheese posted:

I genuinely worked with someone a few years back who referred to them in a meeting as “May - Mays”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqT9aLnyADY

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
please refrain from norman lore heresy >:/

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’m sure Norman and his Mail Online pals will be horrified to learn there are now IEDs being detonated in Sidcup

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
low-sophistication IED sounds like a pack of 70s era Brocks bangers in a whiskey flask.

I hope Norman didn't ruin his good hip flask with the flag on just because of what that Laurence Fox said on twitter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Low sophistication is when you blow up a camera with one bomb, high sophistication is when you drop a hundred bombs from an airplane and fail to hit anything you were aiming at.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
okay i give up. who the gently caress is norman. why is there a post about norman every other page

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

okay i give up. who the gently caress is norman. why is there a post about norman every other page

Thank you for asking the question I have been wanting to know the answer to for the 5.5 years I've been on here!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Tempted to extract every Norman post now, to create a compendium of the complete works of the Norman universe

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

He's the husband of a typical middle-England complainer who probably writes to the Daily Mail

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

They don't even know who you are now Norman!!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
firstly thank you.

secondly it feels like the posts yelling "norman" should actually be yelling "beryl". unless of course this is but one page of a longer running saga

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mrs Norman is the point of view character of the Norman cinematic universe. Like Holmes and Watson.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I never understood how women like that can marry men like that but one time I helped a woman carry a man too bladdered to stand to a taxi and to his home so he could go to bed, and on the journey learned from the woman, a friend of his wife, that he's a far-right piece of poo poo who won't talk to women unless forced to and is married to a disabled wife so he drinks because he can't stand remembering he's married to someone who got 'crippled.'

When I dragged his hateful arse into the house and took him to his bed I met said wife who couldn't have been nicer and more friendly.

When I got back to the pub I was given a free pint on the house for helping a man in need and buddy you didn't need to give it to me for free that was so loving depressing I needed every pint I could get.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

I never understood how women like that can marry men like that but one time I helped a woman carry a man too bladdered to stand to a taxi and to his home so he could go to bed, and on the journey learned from the woman, a friend of his wife, that he's a far-right piece of poo poo who won't talk to women unless forced to and is married to a disabled wife so he drinks because he can't stand remembering he's married to someone who got 'crippled.'

When I dragged his hateful arse into the house and took him to his bed I met said wife who couldn't have been nicer and more friendly.

When I got back to the pub I was given a free pint on the house for helping a man in need and buddy you didn't need to give it to me for free that was so loving depressing I needed every pint I could get.

There’s a lot of cunts out there OP

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It does seem awfully common (and uniquely British?) for men to end up married to women they hate. They just keep moaning about them down the pub. Like why did you bother getting married

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
heterosexuals have not been well for a long time

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Microplastics posted:

It does seem awfully common (and uniquely British?) for men to end up married to women they hate. They just keep moaning about them down the pub. Like why did you bother getting married
Reminds me of that twitter trend of thumb men with england flag avatars and their bio was always 'love me kids, hate me wife, simple as.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8RrhCXBomc