Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't seen Devs and didn't love Ex Machinae, but Dredd and Annihilation were aces. Heard his newest was pretty self-indulgent tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wow, I almost forgot about Devs. What a wild loving show.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jewmanji posted:

I dunno, I’d say he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Annihilation was a bit of a letdown and Devs was similarly, but there’s always plenty of compelling stuff in his work. I didn’t see that latest horror film of his though.

Counterpoint: Devs and Annihilation are two of his best!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah Devs and Annihilation are my favorites.

Men felt a little thin but made up for it with bonkers imagery at the end.

He hasn’t made anything I didn’t like, I’ll certainly give Civil War a shot.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mordja posted:

I haven't seen Devs and didn't love Ex Machinae, but Dredd and Annihilation were aces. Heard his newest was pretty self-indulgent tho.
Men was loving terrible.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

But I love Ex Machina. Insert Oscar Isaac dancing gif here.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Jewmanji posted:

I dunno, I’d say he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Annihilation was a bit of a letdown and Devs was similarly, but there’s always plenty of compelling stuff in his work.

That's quite the understatement. The books are basically unfilmable though.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

ozmunkeh posted:

That's quite the understatement. The books are basically unfilmable though.

Yeah Annihilation is a bit of a disappointment to anyone who has read the books, but the last 20 minutes is a loving incredible assault on the senses.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dillbag posted:

Yeah Annihilation is a bit of a disappointment to anyone who has read the books, but the last 20 minutes is a loving incredible assault on the senses.

I loved it and the books. My first thought upon hearing about the movie was "gently caress that's not really filmable." And then it ended up being it's own take that had enough sense to not swing for what the book was trying for and therefore succeeded (imo obviously).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

I loved it and the books. My first thought upon hearing about the movie was "gently caress that's not really filmable." And then it ended up being it's own take that had enough sense to not swing for what the book was trying for and therefore succeeded (imo obviously).

I watched it in 2018 and liked it, but forgot most of it by the time I read the books at the start of 2023. Then watched it again and loved it for doing its own thing, too.

I have negative interest in watching a film about a near-future American Civil War though, I have enough trouble dealing with the one brewing hour by hour.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LifeLynx posted:

I watched it in 2018 and liked it, but forgot most of it by the time I read the books at the start of 2023. Then watched it again and loved it for doing its own thing, too.

I have negative interest in watching a film about a near-future American Civil War though, I have enough trouble dealing with the one brewing hour by hour.

The wiki article suggested it was more allegorical sci-fi? The poster looks pretty literal though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dillbag posted:

I found that assault unpleasant, and not in a cool way. I was simultaneously bored and felt like it was just trying to grind down my patience.

It was a noble effort but ultimately a big miss for me. It just made me wanna go rewatch Stalker. I usually dig when a filmmaker riffs on something I like, but the whole film just felt like it was trying too hard.

Wanna give Devs a shot, though. I respect him even if not everything has hit for me.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

BonoMan posted:

The wiki article suggested it was more allegorical sci-fi? The poster looks pretty literal though.

My guess is there’s some sci fi conceit that precipitates a ‘civil war’. Like half the country wants to ban cybernetic implants and the other half wants them to be mandatory.

That would actually make a cool movie. But I think garland said it’s like a ‘companion piece’ to Men so it’s going to be something incredibly ham fisted.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Don't know what the hell this is but it's a pretty wild trailer for something by Kojima and Jordan Peele

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2uW-9BKzuU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He should stick to making games with incomprehensible plots. At least you can shoot baddies.

Making a movie with an incomprehensible plot is a bad idea.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Collateral posted:

He should stick to making games with incomprehensible plots. At least you can shoot baddies.

It is a game, by the way. Mentioned something about leveraging Microsoft's cloud services or something.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Collateral posted:

Wrong. He should stick to making cool games with good plots like Snatcher and Policenauts.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Collateral posted:

tell it to chris nolan

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
I'll be the one to say it. Making a movie with an incomprehensible plot is very often a terrific idea.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Making a movie with a straightforward, understandable plot is in no way insurance against people not understanding your movie.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm not good enough at video games to play any of Kojima's work but they all sound up my alley story-wise, so Kojima's Beyond Two Souls sounds like my jam. Or whatever the gently caress it is, Peel trying to describe what OD is sounds like Harmony Korine trying to describe AGGRO DR1FT.

...god, I want the AGGRO DR1FT trailer so bad

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Aggro Drift is so sick. 2/3 of my section when I saw it at TIFF walked out in obvious disgust.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Second trailer for The Zone of Interest

https://youtu.be/GFNtVaAuVYY?feature=shared

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
While watching Priscilla I heard a loud old couple being like "not sure how this is supposed to get us interested" in regards to the first Zone of Interest trailer (which I guess is a lil subtle)...but hell "Jonathan glazer" is an immediate first night watch

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

I dunno, I’d say he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Annihilation was a bit of a letdown and Devs was similarly, but there’s always plenty of compelling stuff in his work. I didn’t see that latest horror film of his though.

Men was....indelible. Super glad I watched it.

Dev otoh. What the hell was happening there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah Devs and Annihilation are my favorites.

Men felt a little thin but made up for it with bonkers imagery at the end.

He hasn’t made anything I didn’t like, I’ll certainly give Civil War a shot.

So what did you like about Dev? Personally I peaced out when the show just was thinly painted characters looking at computer screens while dissonant electronics played in the background. I thought the main actress was very uninteresting which might have been compounded by her role was just to have things happen to her. And I gather the plot, and the central grand mystery, was just basically a its a simulation trope.

I mean if the show got better in its last couple episodes I'm willing to give it a rewatch

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 8, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Welcome to my ted talk:

Any media can be reduced to a sentence or title and appear hackneyed but I'll give this civil war romp the benefit of the doubt cause I've either liked or loved basically everything I've seen by Garland, including Men, but not including Devs*.

Especially the whole 'impressionistic' thing he's got going on, bit of a Mallick vibe at times, and he chooses excellent actors and they act excellently in his movies. Even when they don't really work, it's a pleasure to watch.

* (I just fell off that super quick and never bothered to revisit it for some reason. Never really thought about it, perhaps I should give it a go again)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Shageletic posted:

So what did you like about Dev? Personally I peaced out when the show just was thinly painted characters looking at computer screens while dissonant electronics played in the background. I thought the main actress was very uninteresting which might have been compounded by her role was just to have things happen to her. And I gather the plot, and the central grand mystery, was just basically a its a simulation trope.

I mean if the show got better in its last couple episodes I'm willing to give it a rewatch
probably thematic spoilers for devs
in good modern science fiction literature “the universe is a simulation” isnt so much a trope as it is a fundamental detail about the nature of reality…..not like a matrix-style “the wool is over our eyes, we are being fooled” but more like “the big bang was some nth-dimensional entity successfully calculating the fine structure constant.” so imo stories where we discover that life in our universe is like if one of the gluons making up the quarks in a silicon atom on a computer’s motherboard arbitrarily developed consciousness and started multiplying, is pretty interesting stuff if its handled correctly……i havent seen devs though

edit: not like if an npc in red dead redemption started pleading for you to let them out of the game, but more like if a handful of polygon bounce lighting calculations started repeating unprogrammed mixolydian tones. its really difficult to make an analogy for what the universe probably is

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 8, 2023

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Shageletic posted:

So what did you like Dev? Personally I peaced out when the show just was thinly painted characters looking at computer screens while dissonant electronics played in the background. I thought the main actress was very uninteresting which might have been compounded by her role was just to have things happen to her. And I gather the plot, and the central grand mystery, was just basically a its a simulation trope.

I loved Devs and think your spoiler is way off. The central mystery of the show is how to reconcile the apparent incompatibility between free will and deterministic physics. Simulation stuff is only there to raise that question. I especially loved the scene where the team makes DEVS project one second into the future, I found it really unsettling. And yeah I thought it ended very well, you should finish it. By the end of episode 6 all plot cards are on the table -- it's even laid out how the plot will end -- and yet it's very fun to watch everything play out over the last two eps.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I mean I do love Nick Offerman. I can give it another shot.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Shageletic posted:

i started it today and im enjoying it, it’s far too slowly paced but it’s good science fiction

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Shageletic posted:

This was a big part of the problem for me. Nick Offerman is forever going to be Ron Swanson to me and I simply can’t dissociate from that when watching him in other stuff.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jewmanji posted:

This was a big part of the problem for me. Nick Offerman is forever going to be Ron Swanson to me and I simply can’t dissociate from that when watching him in other stuff.

Then try to imagine him as Duke Silver instead.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

acksplode posted:

The central mystery of the show is how to reconcile the apparent incompatibility between free will and deterministic physics.

Which is silly, since the same incompatibility exists between free will and nondeterministic physics. Even putting aside the show's odd contention that the many-worlds interpretation is nondeterministic, the evolution of the universe containing a step where god flips a coin doesn't introduce any additional human agency.

And, sure, there's nothing wrong with a show ignoring actual science to make something more fun. Star Wars would not be improved by realistic spaceships. But then Star Wars isn't a ponderous exploration of the philosophy of the physics of spaceship engines.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if i have one actual complaint about devs, having reached episode 6, it’s that alison pill doesn’t seem to know how to play her character, and i don’t blame her, her character feels like she was transplanted from crappy scifi shlock like westworld

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

the evolution of the universe containing a step where god flips a coin doesn't introduce any additional human agency.

It at least opens a window that human agency could crawl through. Maybe that's god flipping a coin, maybe that's god respecting your will. Deterministic physics would seem to shut it out entirely. Lily making a choice in the end wouldn't have been a surprise if Forest couldn't have built a machine that infers the past or future of the entire universe from a fraction of its present.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of video game trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdBZY2fkU-0

This looks like a very accurate recreation of Florida (and it's all in-engine).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

You seen him in Fargo S2? He's great there.

It's funny his first big time TV appearance was swinging his naked dick in a circle on Deadwood.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

acksplode posted:

It at least opens a window that human agency could crawl through. Maybe that's god flipping a coin, maybe that's god respecting your will. Deterministic physics would seem to shut it out entirely. Lily making a choice in the end wouldn't have been a surprise if Forest couldn't have built a machine that infers the past or future of the entire universe from a fraction of its present.

The universe being deterministic doesn't mean that you could ever build such a machine, though. Determinism doesn't imply you can simplify accurately, it just implies repeatability, that what comes next is entirely dependent on what came before. Free will and determinism can be reconciled in my mind with the concept that the only way to predict a sapient free-willed individual's actions is to actually, fully run the scenario, run the whole universe (at least within the individual's light cone) in its entirety, in which case they're just a conscious being exercising their actions freely.

Free will is removed if you assume there's something about the nature/structure of the universe where a simplified subset, a 'fraction' of it, can fully accurately predict an outcome, but that's not at all required by determinism and is something else entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of video game trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdBZY2fkU-0

This looks like a very accurate recreation of Florida (and it's all in-engine).

Players are idiots doing crimes while trying to impress their friends, how much more accurate a recreation of Florida do you need?