Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

I ran some quick napkin-math and we're losing ~3M boomers a year right now. So the demographic which votes more Republican and is poisoned by Fox propaganda is losing more Republican voters than they're gaining. Meanwhile, young people who register to vote are skewing 3:1 Democrat to Republican. I don't know if these country-wide demographics are enough to get past the electoral college, though.

Too bad that in America, it's land that votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Ynglaur posted:

I ran some quick napkin-math and we're losing ~3M boomers a year right now. So the demographic which votes more Republican and is poisoned by Fox propaganda is losing more Republican voters than they're gaining. Meanwhile, young people who register to vote are skewing 3:1 Democrat to Republican. I don't know if these country-wide demographics are enough to get past the electoral college, though.

There's still a (slim) hope of the interstate voting compact getting activated

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The Bible posted:

If they go ahead and serve as electors anyway, could Trump pardon them if he won?

Electors are a state thing. The states decide who the electors are and what penalties there are for falsely claiming the status. Hence they are being charged by the states.

So, no. Trump could not pardon them.

The GA elector’s argued that they were federal and the federal courts denied that.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

The Bible posted:

We are in an endless hell cycle where none of this ever ends.

Like Sisyphus except with lawsuits

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nervous posted:

Like Sisyphus except with lawsuits

constantly trying to submit affidavits but getting sent to the back of the line every time.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

There's still a (slim) hope of the interstate voting compact getting activated

I have pretty much zero faith in that even if it gets activated, what's to stop any red state on from just saying "lol, no" if it would keep change the outcome in their favor to break the compact, and then in a 6-3 decision...

Angry_Ed posted:

constantly trying to submit affidavits but getting sent to the back of the line every time.

One must consider Sysiphus legally "happy", unless the court approves this injunction...

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Agents are GO! posted:

what's to stop any red state on from just saying "lol, no" if it would keep change the outcome in their favor to break the compact, and then in a 6-3 decision...

Causality. The only laws that can affect the outcome of an election are the laws that were in place before the election. If they try changing their laws after they know the results of the election, it won't affect the results of that election, only the elections going forward.

And all of these vote compact laws specify that they have no effect until and unless the compact includes enough states to meet the required the winning electoral vote margin.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Lammasu posted:

The fact that these people thought they could get away with this is baffling.

I guess if you're participating in a coup you kind of have to assume you'll get away with it. Most of the time going for a coup is a fully death-or-glory kind of affair, like the losing side is lucky if they escape to exile or get released to house arrest after 27 years in prison, but I guess in the modern US you can just pinky swear that you're sorry and you won't do it again, and it's pretty much all good?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ms Adequate posted:

I guess if you're participating in a coup you kind of have to assume you'll get away with it. Most of the time going for a coup is a fully death-or-glory kind of affair, like the losing side is lucky if they escape to exile or get released to house arrest after 27 years in prison, but I guess in the modern US you can just pinky swear that you're sorry and you won't do it again, and it's pretty much all good?

Or "your plane randomly blows up on your way home"...

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
If the us government was actually feeling threatened by these people I feel they would all have vanished mysteriously by now.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

mobby_6kl posted:

Or "your plane randomly blows up on your way home"...

Hey, the plane that the head of Wagner was on didn't "randomly" blow up.
It blew up because the pilot had a heart attack as a result getting the Covid vaccine.
You know, a totally believable explanation.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

drilldo squirt posted:

If the us government was actually feeling threatened by these people I feel they would all have vanished mysteriously by now.

Maybe you missed the part where the vast majority of the insurrectionist were white.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Fuschia tude posted:

Causality. The only laws that can affect the outcome of an election are the laws that were in place before the election. If they try changing their laws after they know the results of the election, it won't affect the results of that election, only the elections going forward.

And all of these vote compact laws specify that they have no effect until and unless the compact includes enough states to meet the required the winning electoral vote margin.

I think it's more like, what if a state just decides to ignore their own law entirely. What mechanism is in place to force a state that is in the compact to actually do what they say? It would probably require the federal courts to mandate they send the correct electors based on the compact law, but then you always run the chance of the supreme court saying the state can do whatever it wants.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The interstate voting compact will never become law. Even if all the needed states approve it Congress will never, as required by the Constitution's Compact Clause.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Fuschia tude posted:

I think the concern isn't that they change the law, it's that they ignore it. As in, the compact is in effect in an election where some red state votes for the Republican but the country votes for the Democrat so the red Secretary of State or somebody just says "nah I don't care, our electors are gonna vote for our guy."

Personally I think any political environment in which the compact is in effect would be so alien compared to the status quo that I don't think we can usefully hypothesize about it either way, but I'm sympathetic to concerns about whether laws actually would bind a Republican who thinks they have a chance to steal an election.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Nitrousoxide posted:

The interstate voting compact will never become law. Even if all the needed states approve it Congress will never, as required by the Constitution's Compact Clause.

Isn’t the whole point that it doesn’t need to be a federal law?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Ynglaur posted:

I ran some quick napkin-math and we're losing ~3M boomers a year right now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

whydirt posted:

Isn’t the whole point that it doesn’t need to be a federal law?

Compacts aren't federal law as they do not require the president to sign or a veto bypass. However they do require Congress approval according to the Constitution. There's an argument to be made that the voting compact doesn't need this because it's is relating to how the state's apportion there votes which is their purview under the Constitution as well. But there being a conflict between these two provisions it's definitely going to go to the Supreme Court to decide which takes precedence and I am personally pretty confident that it's going to require Congressional approval once the Supreme Court makes its decision.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
There were some Trump Legal updates over the past couple days, beyond general Trump electabilitychat.

As noted above, in Colorado the state supreme court heard arguments from both sides on why the lower judge was both correct and incorrect. As a general rule, I'll note my understanding is that in an appeal I'd rather be arguing that the judge reached the wrong conclusion on a legal concept and the right conclusion in her finding of fact based on evidence than the opposite. Actual lawknowers ITT can let me know if that's wrong and dumb, which it may well be!

CREW starts off with a "by your logic" for the defense:
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1732493299779293192

And tries to address the court's omission questions:
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1732496777943613661
(As described by Brandi here, I find the argument pretty weak. But then, there are plenty of alternative reasons to find the president an officer and this reason not to feels similarly lacking)

I do enjoy a bigot's hyperbole coming back to haunt, though:
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1732497158887092420

The 'Political Question' comes next, and CREW chooses to lean in, which strikes me as the right decision:
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1732502690834391234
Again, I'm piecing together from Brandi's reporting. If I understand this correctly, it's CREW arguing that a question about politics and political questions are distinct - and that the crucial part here is that CREW does not ask the court to resolve a dispute in an area or using powers that have been specifically assigned to another branch (e.g. Foreign Policy). The "no matter how popular they are" bit is a point that I've not seen brought up prior, even in the lengthy Federalist treastie (though I may have missed it) but one I find immediately compelling. If it's meant to bar those who'd otherwise hold office, then "a lot of people want to vote for him" is a point towards disqualification, not towards suspending enforcement of the constitution.

Finally-ish, the court asks a question that, as Brandi notes, has been repeatedly settled in DC:
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1732505577153012176

To Trump's lawyers, we probe on the parade of horribles
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1732511884950028549

Brandi notes in her story, but not the thread, that Trump has already started to raise Purcell - the principle that the Roberts court has repeatedly used to justify disenfranchising Black and Latino voters for years because it'd be hard to get in to compliance with the law and constitution before an election. Much like the GOP's stance on the appropriate time to discuss gun control, SCOTUS's stance on what window Purcell doesn't apply to is more of a theory than anything measurable with humanity's understanding of chronology.

The court does probe towards the absurdity of a couple of the arguments against disqualification here:
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1732511898413785498
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1732514069544849840
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1732514285123735919

A note of caution that you never want to assume how a case will go based on the questions at oral arguments.

Meanwhile, back in New York, Engoron continues to allow the defense to present its witnesses on matters he's already decided on:
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1732089416196268152
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1732093507936964830

Eric Trump, in a surprise reversal, chose not to testify yesterday. That means the last thing we saw before today was laughing Kise out of the courtroom:
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1732122808514380118

We also had filings in the NY gag appeal, specifically the court slapping around the idea that there's meaningful infringement:
https://twitter.com/frankrunyeon/status/1732522182532612377
https://twitter.com/frankrunyeon/status/1732545770975355214

Note the bottom tweet is as specifically as I've noticed them reference that Trump's clerk obsession is disrupting the trial on its own (through repeated interruption), not solely through threat of violence.

And finally, today, Engoron continues to make clear why he is being permissive with Trump's team on all nonclerk matters:
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1732793907849646438

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Charliegrs posted:

Maybe you missed the part where the vast majority of the insurrectionist were white.
no, that's why they haven't been disappeared or killed. if that was a left wing riot for...say food inequality or housing shortages or the rising cost of living that's slowly killing us there would be dozens dead and hundreds just...gone.
instead it was a right wing insurrection to kill leaders and install a puppet government so...six months probation. have a nice day :) :)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Right, trial judges have broad discretion on the facts, but narrow on the law. By ruling against Trump on the facts but for him on the law, the trial judge was teeing himself up for maximum latitude to be reversed on appeal.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

Seems really irresponsible to call them "electors" unqualified like that

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Compacts aren't federal law as they do not require the president to sign or a veto bypass. However they do require Congress approval according to the Constitution. There's an argument to be made that the voting compact doesn't need this because it's is relating to how the state's apportion there votes which is their purview under the Constitution as well. But there being a conflict between these two provisions it's definitely going to go to the Supreme Court to decide which takes precedence and I am personally pretty confident that it's going to require Congressional approval once the Supreme Court makes its decision.

How can you say that? Don't you know that the SC is all about the right of states to administer themselves and to dismatle the big federal state?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Because the compact would likely create a permanent Democrat presidency (at least for the forseeable future) since they have only lost the popular vote one time since 1988.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Because the compact would likely create a permanent Democrat presidency (at least for the forseeable future) since they have only lost the popular vote one time since 1988.

You have a lot of faith in Americans, I assume that people would just shift their voting patterns until it was back to close to being 50/50 in the popular vote instead because we're all loving stupid

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Late Fees posted:

Seems really irresponsible to call them "electors" unqualified like that

How else would you describe what they "claimed to be"?

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

I've seen "fake electors" and "fraudulent electors" used elsewhere. The headline just says "electors", which they were not. An uninformed reader glancing at the headline might be led to believe that legitimate electors are being punished.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

They claimed to be fake electors? No. They falsely claimed to be electors.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Weren't they technically electors, regardless? Just not the electors for the winning candidate and thus not the lawfully nominated electors?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Are we really worried about the nuanced semantic implications of a headline for the sake of people emerging from a cave in 2023 who also apparently don’t have time to read the article?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Tesseraction posted:

Weren't they technically electors, regardless? Just not the electors for the winning candidate and thus not the lawfully nominated electors?

I'm also technically the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. I just am not the one elected by the House of Commons.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

I think that they are not electors until they win, they are elector candidates - just like the president isn't the president until they win, but a presidential candidate.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

"Documents released as part of the settlement revealed one of the Wisconsin Republicans appeared to refer to the attempt to install Trump for a second term as a “possible steal.” That Republican expressed skepticism about the plan but told others he was going along with it in part because he feared he would face blowback from Trump supporters if he didn’t."

My god, every time I'm tempted to think it's impossible to despise these people any more than I already do, along comes further information.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Eletriarnation posted:

I think that they are not electors until they win, they are elector candidates - just like the president isn't the president until they win, but a presidential candidate.

They are not Electors unless they are from the Electorč region of France, otherwise they are just sparkling voters.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

nerox posted:

They are not Electors unless they are from the Electorč region of France, otherwise they are just sparkling voters.

If they were from South Florida would they be fabulous voters?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Paracaidas posted:

To Trump's lawyers, we probe on the parade of horribles
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1732511884950028549

The court does probe towards the absurdity of a couple of the arguments against disqualification here:
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1732511898413785498

I know court doesn't work like Ace Attorney where you win or lose cases based on gotchas and catching someone in a contradiction, but it really is stark how contradictory the Trump team's arguments are.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are we really worried about the nuanced semantic implications of a headline for the sake of people emerging from a cave in 2023 who also apparently don’t have time to read the article?

You're right, and point taken. I'll stop being so pedantic.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/meiselasb/status/1732846174137426266?t=qSPZrbmXhfA1MWTTLVE5HQ&s=19

So Trump is basically saying "You aren't gonna actually throw me in jail so gently caress off".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
I absolutely love the end of that little highlighted portion "absent further order of the Court." I'm going to start using that. "My client wins and will proceed with this understanding, absent further order of the Court."