Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Boody posted:

How long did it take for your mainbow to ship? Paid for one a week or two ago and haven't heard a thing.

shipped in a day or two and I got a notification from etsy that it had, but, it did ship untracked. the vendor has been responsive to me on etsy over the past few days (I am trying to snag a wave comber once they have built kits), couldn't hurt to email

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQyresknSOE

no warnings needed here, I don't think -- I'm figuring out how to tame this thing a bit. The amount of gear I can get away with doing a little cheating to either constrain to 0-1v, or just use as is (S&H is a great example of this) is nice, and also pushes me hard towards really understanding what video specific things will get me the most bang for the buck. On the other hand, dropping $250 for that Malekko AR/LFO-V at some point seems fine because moar LFOs is better anyway.

I probably need to be assed to look at DaisyPatch & MaxGen again, because I bet I could set Daisy up nicely to be a video util module. something like 2 0-1v LFOs, a 0-1v env and a CVable 0-1v noise output. I think that's all simple enough to fit into a single rom, probably, but I need to figure out how to screw it together. I've only compiled a few max oopsy patches and it's been like a year. However, this could suddenly save me a bunch of cash on video utilities and right now it's just sitting there being an 18hp reverb.

e: I want to reiterate how impressed with mainbow I am for the cost. It reminds me of when I got my 0coast but it's half as much and also I have some concept of what these things are and what they do now, and if you accept the limitations that the build quality feels pretty DIY, it's composite video only, and the pots are touchy,, the complete list of what you get for the cost has me thinking that a second one might eventually be in order:

4x function generations w/7 selectable waveforms w/CV over AM,FM,PM and a 50/50 mix input; each can be set to generate X, Y, scanline or LFO cv. Each also has a direct video out which is nice for previews and understanding what the gently caress is going on, it's almost like having a built in scope.

Audio input normalized to 0-1v with a control pot

Video input, alpha layer

Hue tuning on 2 different encoders

output controlled ultimately by CV'able hue/luma/saturation data with an alpha layer.

That's a lot of poo poo, it's the whole kit and caboodle. It's also deliberately plays-nice with LZX stuff and I've seen people using it alongside Structure, which also looks amazing, and costs a thousand dollars if you can find one.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Sounds like there's a new version of Structure coming maybe sometime next year, I'd guess that's why they're impossible to find now.

https://youtu.be/4jD3Qm0L1ug?t=261
https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=205548&start=325

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
well that gives me time to find the other $400 I need, I guess.

Also just considering saving for a bit and splurging on LZX's 84hp prebuilt.

e: this seems like "correct thread, wrong forum". This is all synthesis but I am pushing the meta further from "musician's lounge" in the same way I slowly pushed my Magic Commander meta from "friends trying to have fun" to "cutthroat games that end on turn 4 if no one has force of will".

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Also if anyone wants to start down the Behr 2500 path I will let all this go cheap. (70% prices, shipped conus, individually. Will also take $222 shipped for all of it or trade for a single module, probably).

It's a fun idea but I already have the bArp and I want to be building video racks this year not Behr modular versions of more classic synths.

The googly eyes can be left on, or removed, buyer's discretion, and I will make an SA-Mart thread for transparency if there's interest.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Got my EP-133 shipment notification today! :dogcited:

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Also if anyone wants to start down the Behr 2500 path I will let all this go cheap. (70% prices, shipped conus, individually. Will also take $222 shipped for all of it or trade for a single module, probably).

It's a fun idea but I already have the bArp and I want to be building video racks this year not Behr modular versions of more classic synths.

The googly eyes can be left on, or removed, buyer's discretion, and I will make an SA-Mart thread for transparency if there's interest.
I am game! I doubt I have something to trade (so will probably just go with a straight purchase), but can't hurt to ask: what would you be looking for as trade?

minidracula fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 5, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

minidracula posted:

I am game! I doubt I have something to trade (so will probably just go with a straight purchase), but can't hurt to ask: what would you be looking for as trade?

Any `cool` eurorack module but the specific things I need now are stuff to constrain voltage into 0-1v. So, slew limiters. Or, a Disting, which is probably what I'll end up getting with the cash.

Do you want me to make an SA Mart thread so this is all right and proper? Happy to, just need to take another pic with my alias etc on it, can do that a little later today and clearly indicate in thread you have dibs and it's proforma.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fuuuuuuuuck this is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy8Am8hZyMk

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I am so close to just buying a $3000 LZX pre-made 84hp rack

"all I have to do is commit half my disposable income for the next 6-8 months to it!!"

:allears:

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i got a big subwoofer and it rules. do recommend if you make anything with a lot of low end

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

shipped in a day or two and I got a notification from etsy that it had, but, it did ship untracked. the vendor has been responsive to me on etsy over the past few days (I am trying to snag a wave comber once they have built kits), couldn't hurt to email

Of course as soon as I post that I got a shipping notification for the mainbow. Paranoid as having some real issues with gear and delivery recently. Bought the Erebus/Hades deal from Dreadbox on black friday and for some reason it's bounced between Greece and Italy multiple times since (I'm in the UK). Been unable to source the Moog dfam/mother32/subharmonicon triple stand for months so ordered a oak hand made one and the seller send two left hand sides.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
https://tapeop.com/interviews/44/malcolm-cecil/

Cool stuff.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Usual "flashing lights!" warnings apply. Not very interesting musically, but, the video description explains how the video and audio are interconnected, and that's my current focus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4JB03mAHps

I'm only using 2 of Mainbow's 4 function blocks here. It is just dawning on me that I could have 2 completely different patches set up (using 2 function blocks each), and then use Illyana or some external logic block to switch between the patches when a gate hits or w/e. That seems like a brain dead way to get audio reactivity, and that will probably be tomorrow's experiment.

I almost bought a second QuadVCA yesterday just for video CV mixing, eventually I will.

xzzy - after perusing Youtube and messing with the current batch of accessibility tools, I notice two things:
1 - basically no one puts any kinds of warnings on their glitch-video-synthesis videos
2 - tools designed to flag potentially hazardous content for epileptics, do indeed tend to alert on my videos, but they also alert on everything from 3TEETH videos to art videos to etc etc etc. So, I don't think that "flashing light" warnings at a youtube level are necessary or useful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, again, it doesn't bother me personally because I don't have epilepsy (though a raw square wave into headphones does some really weird things to my head) but in some of the threads I haunt there are folks that have issues and mention it every time a questionable video is posted. So it's made me a little more aware.

I have noticed that all youtube music creators are insanely bad about it, glitch or otherwise. I don't know if it's an ignorance or indifference but they seem very willing to upload the craziest flashing music videos they can come up with. The only channel I regularly watch that puts up a warning is bad gear, and the message is only on screen for 1 second before it changes to flashy art mode.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

I have noticed that all youtube music creators are insanely bad about it, glitch or otherwise. I don't know if it's an ignorance or indifference but they seem very willing to upload the craziest flashing music videos they can come up with. The only channel I regularly watch that puts up a warning is bad gear, and the message is only on screen for 1 second before it changes to flashy art mode.

given that a lot of mainsteam content also triggers the plugins, my assumption is that epileptics using Youtube are probably all using safety plugins.

And hopefully not playing an unpatched 1.0 version of Cyberpunk

e: I've always assumed Bad Gear's shtick is a joke on that kind of content. Generally I find content like that very anxiety producing, but the rate he flashes stuff at I literally can't process it and I don't try.

I love Bad Gear and two nights ago our six year old said "Bad Gear? Yea, let's watch that, it's the best!!!!!". Also that episode killed any desire I had for a Nymphes, so, well done Bad Gear.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 6, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

given that a lot of mainsteam content also triggers the plugins, my assumption is that epileptics using Youtube are probably all using safety plugins.

While most folks who are aware of their conditions are also aware of how to manage them, that doesn't mean they always land on the functional solution. Many folks don't use youtube because they only use x/y/z interface like a roku or a cellphone that doesn't permit them to use such plugins.

Or some folk without epilepsy are watching content in offices and avoid watching something because they have colleagues whose medical status they're unaware of. The idea isn't to be supportive of the 'many' but to be supportive of the edge cases like this where the cracks in society's support start to show.

Another example is that a lot of mainstream content doesn't have captions/subtitles, but those creators are fine ignoring an audience or intentionally punishing an audience to avoid having easily scrapeable scripts. It certainly doesn't mean that it isn't appreciated when the warning is given. :)

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

e: I've always assumed Bad Gear's shtick is a joke on that kind of content. Generally I find content like that very anxiety producing, but the rate he flashes stuff at I literally can't process it and I don't try.

I mean, you're not supposed to. You pretty much have to mash the spacebar every few seconds to catch the memes. Also the joke is that it isn't the gear that's bad, its the loudmouth synth posters on reddit. Its pretty rare that Florian can't knock out a banger or three with whatever synth he's roasting.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Florian is lowkey the best synthtuber

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

His music video skills are up there too. Those ender clips are always a joy.

He really ought to leave the memes up longer though. And maybe find some new catchphrases.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I think if he stops saying "this one's ticking all the boxes" he will lose subscriber.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

I love Bad Gear and two nights ago our six year old said "Bad Gear? Yea, let's watch that, it's the best!!!!!". Also that episode killed any desire I had for a Nymphes, so, well done Bad Gear.
Not to be a pusher, but you should get a Nymphes.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I mean, you're not supposed to. You pretty much have to mash the spacebar every few seconds to catch the memes. Also the joke is that it isn't the gear that's bad, its the loudmouth synth posters on reddit. Its pretty rare that Florian can't knock out a banger or three with whatever synth he's roasting.

oh for sure but he is very honest and some times the limitations he calls out turn me off to something. Nymphes reverb seems terrible, who cares, but holy poo poo did the workflow look terrible to me.

minidracula posted:

Not to be a pusher, but you should get a Nymphes.

tell me more about your menu diving addiction, lol. I said no to the nymphes + erebus deal so I'm probably out of contention on that one for a while.

Let me know if people get annoyed or bored by my A/V club experimentation. Here's QD drums doing weird poo poo in Spectraphon land, Beads land, AND video land. Video data is modulating Beads, too, so the animal is eating itself.

The mostly empty bottle of rosé is a sign I had dinner, or, at least, caloric content. I don't have a drinking problem, really, compared to my eurorack problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojh6hrKdA9k

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

oh for sure but he is very honest and some times the limitations he calls out turn me off to something. Nymphes reverb seems terrible, who cares, but holy poo poo did the workflow look terrible to me.

tell me more about your menu diving addiction, lol. I said no to the nymphes + erebus deal so I'm probably out of contention on that one for a while.
I hadn't watched the Bad Gear video on it, so I just did, and overall, I think he nailed it. Ignore the reverb unless you wanna screw around, and you learn the menu system. Is it intuitive or "discoverable" compared to lots of other synths? No. But I think it sounds really good, actually great for what you get in the package and at the price point (especially used or on larger discounts). If you don't care that you have what it is in an analog synth, you can certainly do better both UI and money-wise in digital and/or with software.

Perhaps this says more about me than anything when it comes to the Nymphes: As I was about to press play and watch the video, I had this thought bouncing around my head re: the UI, which was something like: "I mean, I have and like the Rozzbox; the Nymphes by comparison is way easier to use". Then, towards the end, after he had covered his take on the UI/UX pain points and overall sum-up, that thought was paired with "I also have and like the MFB Synth Pro". This was quickly followed by the (obvious) realization that I'm willing to put up with UI/UX pain for synths I think sound good, screens or no.

(Keep in mind that I also like sequencers that operate like late-70s/early-80s calculators, among other... let's say baroque kinds. Are they my only sequencers? No, not by a long shot.)

Is a Nymphes a must-have? No, not at all. But I do think it hits a nice sweet spot and is kind of alone there right now.

Let me know if people get annoyed or bored by my A/V club experimentation. Here's QD drums doing weird poo poo in Spectraphon land, Beads land, AND video land. Video data is modulating Beads, too, so the animal is eating itself.

The mostly empty bottle of rosé is a sign I had dinner, or, at least, caloric content. I don't have a drinking problem, really, compared to my eurorack problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojh6hrKdA9k
I think you should continue posting A/V stuff here, since it'll give me the perfect cover for when I might eventually do likewise. Also, it totally fits the thread IMHO.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

The new spectraphon firmware looks hawt, time to flash it.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

I really want to play around on the modular but I’ve had a patch set up for a track for nearly six months now and I have yet to actually record a take I’m satisfied with. guess I gotta get TWO modulars one for work one for pleasure

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

After the money and space that's the third reason I haven't gotten into modular. I get real anxious about making an awesome sound and never being able to get it back.

It's stupid, because when I save a patch on my ipad I can go back to it whenever I want and never do. So it's not as if having a tone is holding me back or anything, I just really hate destroying data.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

xzzy posted:

After the money and space that's the third reason I haven't gotten into modular. I get real anxious about making an awesome sound and never being able to get it back.

It's stupid, because when I save a patch on my ipad I can go back to it whenever I want and never do. So it's not as if having a tone is holding me back or anything, I just really hate destroying data.

I've been trying to record everything I patch up these days just because of that. My main case is next to my desktop so I can run the output directly from my mixer into my interface. None of the recordings are any good, mind you, but at least I don't have anxiety about losing the thing I thought sounded cool in the moment.

That said, I currently have a patch on a smaller case that I haven't broken down yet because I was working on it away from my computer. Been afraid to touch it for like a week now because it might actually be half decent and I'd like to get it properly recorded. It's funny because part of the reason I got into modular originally is the ephemeral quality of it, like sonic sand mandalas.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

800peepee51doodoo posted:

It's funny because part of the reason I got into modular originally is the ephemeral quality of it, like sonic sand mandalas.

I really enjoy that aspect of it. But, I also do tend to keep a few things patched up, like a delay patched to one of the ins and outs on a matrix mixer to use as a send effect. Or, in my VCV template, I have a complex LFO network to have multiple crazy shaped lfos, a mixer with sends for reverb and delay, that kind of thing.

But I love building up a new patch to see what kinds of sounds I might stumble across.

Here's what I've been farting around with today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlIMdYctgyI

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
TE released some K.O. II merch.

I looked at the trucker hat and it's like $15. I was like "wow that's actually cheap! Wonder what the hoodie is?"

$130. Wtf? Pick a lane TE!

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

BonoMan posted:

TE released some K.O. II merch.

I looked at the trucker hat and it's like $15. I was like "wow that's actually cheap! Wonder what the hoodie is?"

At least it’s not that Roland 808 puffer jacket expensive.

I think it would be really funny if someone made a knock-off version of that but made it say Behringer.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

See, I think this shows all the different paths people take, real well.

I like sometimes trying to record little things others might enjoy and I will continue to work on that, but for me, what I am doing is building a flow-state generator where I wordelessly become part of the experience of noise and light I am creating with tools, time vanishes

and then unpatching it all is just taking the rake into the zen rock garden and resetting it all

professionally, not destroying data is a big responsibility i have

personally, as a hobby, destroying data and making data no one else can ever see or experience is fun as gently caress

BonoMan posted:

as the owner of multiple hoodies at the $20, $50, $100 and $200 price point -- it's fine if it's at least as nice and loving comfy as a Threyda hoody, but it probably is no[t/i].

It took me until I was in my 40s to appreciate that, yea, sometimes you're just paying for a brand, but there do exist $150 hoodies that are literally five times as comfortable and/or rugged as a $30 hoody. This does [i]not
mean that's always what you get.

In other news I finally watched the spectraphon FW video and god drat those LFO modes look insane I can't wait to start throwing them at video.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 8, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
My overall philosophy is to make poo poo art and flush it

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

PS I’m not mocking anyone, I’m being genuine

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

if you enjoy the thing you do and it's not hurting you or others, anyone telling you to stop doing it or do it differently is a chode

e: also i dunno how you earned your redtext but "The original Terminator was a gritty loving AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty loving rock-hard MURDER!" is a statement that I agree with so strongly, I would refuse to give weed to anyone who wanted to argue about it

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

e: also i dunno how you earned your redtext but "The original Terminator was a gritty loving AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty loving rock-hard MURDER!" is a statement that I agree with so strongly, I would refuse to give weed to anyone who wanted to argue about it

I actually agreed more with the VVG redtext at the same time arguing for T2 as the best, but T1 is great too.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

I actually agreed more with the VVG redtext at the same time arguing for T2 as the best, but T1 is great too.

it's an alien/aliens thing for me. Same series but fundamentally different genres, it's hard for me to do a straight compare. T1 is gritty scary grimdark SF, just like Alien. T2 is sorta a kinda-anti-establishment buddy cop movie featuring a teenager in a prominent role (and Aliens is a war-buddies movie with Giger sets).

All of these movies are in my top 15 American SF flicks :shrug: I don't think any other movies from either series come close to making that list.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

My overall philosophy is to make poo poo art and flush it

If you feel like sharing it before flushing, just to share with someone, there's a doot thread in BYOB with the lowest bar of entry possible. [56k, NO].
Petite Zoux said something kind to me a while back, to paraphrase: "we're all just making mud pies. Don't feel bad for wanting to show others the mud pie you made"
Doctor Honked set up a community mud pie gallery over there, basically.

I like sometimes trying to record little things others might enjoy and I will continue to work on that, but for me, what I am doing is building a flow-state generator where I wordelessly become part of the experience of noise and light I am creating with tools, time vanishes

and then unpatching it all is just taking the rake into the zen rock garden and resetting it all

:same::agreed: except the lighting consists of a string of fairy lights, and maybe glow from my aquarium, depending on what the timer is doing.

Ok, now that I think of it, I do tend to zone right out, watching traces on the oscilloscope, droning for a good while. Guess that counts as lights.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 8, 2023

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i had a similar thread in byob a few years ago too and i'm glad it's been brought back, it's a good thread!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I just spent $70 on a loving VHS machine from the mid 90s :allears:

I'm troubleshooting some maybe glitches or maybe expected behavior w/Mainbow but the vendor is SUPER responsive and helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFaDMIHVUU

I was pretty happy with this patch. "DNA strands as viewed on research chemicals".

Of course it went to hell when I set music to it and then started sending the audio into it, but, I am figuring out how to tame this thing into zones of, if not "pretty", things that look designed, less stochiastic, and also can evoke a particular mood.

This should be delivered this week:

I'll order a WaveComber once there's assembled ones up, or order a kit if they look like they're about to dry up. I think the next thing I'm going to want is something like the VH.S 3-channel audio-to-video envelope follower, Syntonie vu007b encoder, and an LZX DSO3 osc. This will keep me in 480i land for the moment, but I just rattled off about a grand worth of poo poo, soooo.

I think I no longer care if QuBit does an end of year sale. I need more videol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Also don't forget the Christmas music thread in gbs. You not only can be bad at music you probably should be.