Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I don't think Unoccupied Korea's Mars mission fits with prejudice of the PRC (high-tech, rich, oppressive). It fits perfectly with our prejudice of the DPRK (poor, paranoid, oppressive).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Greg12 posted:

I don't think Unoccupied Korea's Mars mission fits with prejudice of the PRC (high-tech, rich, oppressive). It fits perfectly with our prejudice of the DPRK (poor, paranoid, oppressive).

Hmm.. that seems right. But there is an absence of China that is obvious too. It is a product of this time afterall, and while this series is being made China is not supposed to be a rival to the west. They can have a vision of the future where there are workers toiling away for company scrip but NK having a module where everyone has their needs taken cared for is just unrealistic.

I mean sure I like this show but the caricatures are sometimes too obvious.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

Decadent Americans want more pay and higher Internet bandwidth, while North Koreans are happy with hot chip, underwear, and space wife

:hai:

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Some Guy TT posted:

i miss the days when superhero movies were self consciously stupid and all the people involved realized there was nothing they could do to change that so they just hammed it up at every opportunity

Dark man ftw

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I like reading MCU spoilers purely out of interest in the drama of their production lately. Deadpool 3's spoilers make it seem like it'll be a Fortnite crossover without the narrative integrity and writing finesse of Epic.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ryan Reynolds Deadpool, standing before a vast crowd, leans into the microphone and bellows in his most annoying Deadpool voice possible:

"Nineteen dollar fortnite card. Who wants it?"

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
Like how that call of duty game presented the Highway of Death as having been done by the bad guys, so does For All Mankind present an engineering error due to different measurement standard resulting in disaster having been a communist error because of their lovely society. While in real life that's why a NASA shuttle blew up! Spoilers! It's a pretty good show though!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah, well,
They're dead.

poo poo Ridley doesn't mess around when it comes to people criticizing his films online.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

Ryan Reynolds Deadpool, standing before a vast crowd, leans into the microphone and bellows in his most annoying Deadpool voice possible:

"Nineteen dollar fortnite card. Who wants it?"

Ryan Reynolds somehow got to be more annoying than Vince Vaughn for me.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nichael posted:

Ryan Reynolds somehow got to be more annoying than Vince Vaughn for me.
i like ryan, he's fun

vince is an ugly guy

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Grimnarsson posted:

Like how that call of duty game presented the Highway of Death as having been done by the bad guys, so does For All Mankind present an engineering error due to different measurement standard resulting in disaster having been a communist error because of their lovely society. While in real life that's why a NASA shuttle blew up! Spoilers! It's a pretty good show though!

That was the Mars Climate Orbiter that crashed due to mismatched units.

The destroyed space shuttles were from launching during cold weather and from ignoring an ice strike on the leading edge of the orbiter's wing during launch.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
cold weather. ain't them shits launched from Florida. how bad were they loving up to gently caress that up.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Weembles posted:

That was the Mars Climate Orbiter that crashed due to mismatched units.

The destroyed space shuttles were from launching during cold weather and from ignoring an ice strike on the leading edge of the orbiter's wing during launch.

No the rods they bolted the asteroid with weren't good enough because they were made in the Soviet Union and they knew it because something like that can only happen in a hosed up autocrasy like the USSR not in a liberal democracy like US where it actually happened.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Grimnarsson posted:

I was wondering how fail the show would get since the end of last season showed a character in Moscow. They've been pretty good overall but I'm kinda expecting a fair amount of 'evil shadowy KGB runs everything and people get gulagged for life if they ever say a negative thing' once I get around to watching it

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Grimnarsson posted:

No the rods they bolted the asteroid with weren't good enough because they were made in the Soviet Union and they knew it because something like that can only happen in a hosed up autocrasy like the USSR not in a liberal democracy like US where it actually happened.

They already kinda did that with the stolen tech arc. Oh no evil commies are stealing our spaceship designs but thankfully their inferior slavic brains still build them incorrectly

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

ron d moore is space sorkin

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

i like ryan, he's fun
twenty years ago i remember thinking of him as like a poor man's dane cook and lol at that opinion today

edit holy poo poo they were both in Waiting, i don't remember that at all

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Dec 7, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Breakfast All Day posted:

ron d moore is space sorkin

absolutely

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i say swears online posted:

twenty years ago i remember thinking of him as like a poor man's dane cook and lol at that opinion today

oh that one is worth a revisit based on how woefully outdated it's already become. people always talk about Ryan Reynolds' character's plot, and yeah it's pretty messed up, but the fact that throughout the entire movie there is an ongoing subplot about the "game" they play in the workplace where Men find elaborate ways to show their dick and balls to other employees is a real minefield in the post metoo era

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

i can remember seeing the trailers for Waiting in theaters and thinking "this has already aged poorly and it isnt even out yet" so i cant imagine how radioactive that poo poo is now

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

i say swears online posted:

They were both the same person for a long time, waiting was when they reproduced via division and became separate people

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

im prob gonna see deadpool 3 tbh, once disney gets to x-men poo poo i have to see with my own eyes how bad it will be.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

as a middle schooler when Waiting came out I saw a lot of my classmates dicks that year

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Grimnarsson posted:

in season 3 when Kelly Baldwin and her cosmonaut bf start arguing over the vietnam war and she mentions the communists purges as how evil north vietnam was i started to get so mad. I get in this alt-universe the war didnt go on as long but still the amount of ppl the south vietnam regimes and its american puppet master killed was way more then any purges the commies were doing.

What am i saying is you gotta turn your brain off sometimes to enjoy For All Mankind

edit: lmao i accidently said korean same diff

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Popy posted:

in season 3 when Kelly Baldwin and her cosmonaut bf start arguing over the vietnam war and she mentions the communists purges as how evil north vietnam was i started to get so mad. I get in this alt-universe the war didnt go on as long but still the amount of ppl the south korean regimes and its american puppet master killed was way more then any purges the commies were doing.

What am i saying is you gotta turn your brain off sometimes to enjoy For All Mankind

I gave it the benefit of the doubt and took that as them spouting propaganda at each other, the only difference is that Russian Guy's propaganda was true lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Grimnarsson posted:

Watching the newest season of For All Mankind and I thought these morloks were going to strike and destroy the eloi up above but doesn't seem that way? Seems like liberal bullshit that capitalism just needs to be regulated and then it'll be good. It stinks! I like the show though.

I think they're still building up to that, especially with Sam directly confronting Poole and the general grumbling about the difference in treatment between the Helios serfs and the people from space agencies.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Clip-On Fedora posted:

If you think Taylor Switft is bad now, wait until the human sacrifices start...................

Sounds like that'd make her even cooler

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

Sounds like that'd make her even cooler

depends on which humans

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

DoombatINC posted:

i can remember seeing the trailers for Waiting in theaters and thinking "this has already aged poorly and it isnt even out yet" so i cant imagine how radioactive that poo poo is now

I can't explain why but I watch that movie maybe once a year.

wait no I think it's because the Andy Milonakis and David Koechner scenes are still funny to me. I watch the entire thing for about 90 seconds worth of dialog.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Man I just rewatched Prometheus and everyone on the internet who goes off about how dumb that crew is is right 100%

As usual, online people don't know how to interrogate their own preposterous notions ("if a spaceship the size of a building fell on me, I would simply successfully leap to safety") let alone the genre conventions of horror or science fiction. So they miss the joke that every person who removes their helmet doesn't die because of that, and every character that keeps their helmet on dies anyways!

Kane thought his spacesuit would protect him when he peeked in that egg, no more or less than Milburn thought his would protect him from that snake. They have no way to know they are up against movie monsters that consistently defy real world physical & biological limitations!

Trusting Weyland is the only actual dumb mistake any of the crew make as far as I can recall; everything else isn't information we can reasonably expect them to know. Hell, Weyland's only mistake is trusting that his perfect slave can't out-think his programmed loyalty. And the best part of Prometheus is David feeding everyone enough rope to hang themselves!

It's a great, fun xmas movie

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the best part of Prometheus is the abortion.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

indigi posted:

the best part of Prometheus is the abortion.

The best part works have been if it was aborted

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

oh that one is worth a revisit based on how woefully outdated it's already become. people always talk about Ryan Reynolds' character's plot, and yeah it's pretty messed up, but the fact that throughout the entire movie there is an ongoing subplot about the "game" they play in the workplace where Men find elaborate ways to show their dick and balls to other employees is a real minefield in the post metoo era

I had to remind myself of the movie as I haven't saw it since it came out. "How's my favorite minor" is a line of Reynolds featured in the trailer, which he says to the underage hostess.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i saw this prerelease video for Prometheus and got hyped for it. it's a nifty creepy little thing. actual movie sucked rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7E7Qp-s-8

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The Helios crew is gonna mutiny and declare martian independence and 2010's will be a free Mars plotline

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

For All Mankind's politics are not at all perfect, but it is funny that it present a slightly friendlier neolib alternative where

1. The USSR still exists.
2. The imperialist dick measuring contest is through ridiculous space funding instead of (most) militaristic pursuits.

And with those two modifications, the world is substantially better if only because climate change was basically dealt with by the early 1990s.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nichael posted:

For All Mankind's politics are not at all perfect, but it is funny that it present a slightly friendlier neolib alternative where

1. The USSR still exists.
2. The imperialist dick measuring contest is through ridiculous space funding instead of (most) militaristic pursuits.

And with those two modifications, the world is substantially better if only because climate change was basically dealt with by the early 1990s.

i wonder if afghanistan, tibet, iran et al are monarchies in this timeline

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm interested in watching episodes of lovely stupid tv that are specifically about divorced dudes living in crappy apartments.

there's the Shangri La Apartments episode of Frasier and the Kirk Van Houston "race car bed" simpsons episode.

was there ever a married with children where Al moved out?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Durf posted:

comic book movies are following the same trajectory that led to the crash of their source material: over saturation, too many tie-ins/crossovers, and constant stakes escalation from local to universal to quantum threats.

the comic industry collapsed in the 90s and slowly recovered via smaller indie publishers, IP being given to more experimental writers and artists, and smaller more diverse stories appealing to niche audiences

but that formula is impossible to do with AAA tentpole films that require half billion dollar investments and a largest possible audience, so they've attempted a compromise by offloading their properties onto smaller streaming series. the problem is that most of those series are still deeply mired in the Secret Wars uberplot that was one of the final desperate cashgrabs in the original downfall

there's been some success with separate one-offs like Logan, Spiderverse, Deadpool, Invincible, The Boys, etc. stuff like Sandman shows that they're starting to stretch into Dark Horse era weirdness and we could eventually be dealing with The Invisibles, Animal Man, and that Flintstones where Fred admits to ethnic cleansing.

but I don't think anything like Infinity War will happen again anytime soon.

i disagree with this in the sense that the american comic industry never really recovered the nineties era collapse youre describing coincided with manga starting to be widely distributed in english ever since that happened manga has always dominated domestic comic sales even when american comics are on an upswing manga is indisputedly doing just as good if not even better

the fact that hardly anyone is actually aware of this is one of the more grotesque examples of just how ludicrously jingoistic most media writing in this country is to an extent that just isnt true anywhere else and a major reason why thats the case is because american exceptionalism is extremely necessary to justify why its drat near impossible to distribute media from other countries here when manga has already proved americans are perfectly capable of consuming foreign culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i feel surprisingly not racist right now because reading that my first thought was these seem like completely different kinds of spouses whats the commonality supposed to oh right