Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Perestroika posted:

Had a go at Remant 2 since it on gamepass. I started out picking the second difficulty (out of 4) since it seems to be mostly a shooter and I play a bunch of those, but after a couple hours I ended up realising I don't like that difficulty much since it just does the tedious thing of boosting enemy health through the roof. So I go to turn it down and... I can't? Apparently the only way to play a different difficulty is to completely restart the campaign, though I guess you do get to keep your character.

Why? What purpose does that serve? I could understand if you would not be able to switch difficulty on the fly while ingame for session reasons, but not even letting you switch from the main menu is just seems pointless.

Restarting the campaign isn't bad btw. You don't lose anything. But also if I recall correctly, the lowest difficulty is also the default, and Remnant 2 isn't one of those games that has a 'cinematic' difficulty or otherwise implies the intended experience is the higher difficulties.

Owl Inspector posted:

The game does have account weapon unlocks for completing a campaign on each difficulty so it’s more than just achievements. remnant campaigns/adventures have a lot of randomization and are meant to be done multiple times, and you keep everything you’ve earned on that character so rolling a new campaign isn’t as big a deal as it might seem. the real issue is remnant 2 renaming the first two difficulties from “normal/hard” to “survivor/veteran” with vague descriptions that trick a lot of people into starting on hard when normal is absolutely the correct choice for most people’s first campaign. The game is plenty challenging on normal until you’re familiar with it.

Idk, I feel like that's more on the players than the devs. It came up in the remnant 2 thread a bunch too. People just went in assuming 'normal = walking simulator, and veteran = for people who have played literally any videogame before. Nothing in Remnant 2's difficulty names or descriptions implied that.

Coolness Averted has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Coolness Averted posted:

Idk, I feel like that's more on the players than the devs. It came up in the remnant 2 thread a bunch too. People just went in assuming 'normal = walking simulator, and veteran = for people who have played literally any videogame before. Nothing in Remnant 2's difficulty names or descriptions implied that.

I can't really blame players for not correctly intuiting what designers mean with their difficulty levels. It's like creating a character before you've played the game - you're just guessing at what's going to be a good experience for you, and some of the time you're going to be wrong. Remnant 2 in particular makes it hard by blurring the line between "difficulty level" and "new game+" since the higher difficulties are meant to be played when you have better gear from beating the lower ones.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Na'vi: Too stupid to wear shoes/shinguards without hitting the correct point in the story.

There's a lot to be said about the game, but as anyone could expect: It has a bunch of 'open world game X has this feature to pad out gametime, we need it too!.
I don't understand why devs can't just look at what people complain about, make mods to fix, etc... and not keep on doing the same dull design 10+ years down the line.
So many games are just copying the Last of Us/Horizon style 'small ammo pool, large pool of items to instantly create more ammo' mechanic directly, and it just doesn't add anything other than extra menu fiddling mid-combat.

If you have to have yet another open world game with yet another crafting system and yet another harvesting and etc system, do you really need to make it actively worse by limiting how much you can harvest, when there's no mechanical benefit to do so other than adding additional tedium for the player?
(Ammo resource caps: fine! That has a mechanical use! Even though it's beyond stupid to start the game with 20+200 arrows, making the cap irrelevant from hour 0.
Resource caps for crafting armor, that I can only craft in towns, and with a recipe anyhow? Boo. I already have to spend time getting the resources and I only get higher quality stuff if it's the correct weather/time of day when harvesting them, on top of the harvesting minigame.)

Also the harvesting minigame really just looks like you're trying to jerk the plants off.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SubNat posted:

Na'vi: Too stupid to wear shoes/shinguards without hitting the correct point in the story.

There's a lot to be said about the game, but as anyone could expect: It has a bunch of 'open world game X has this feature to pad out gametime, we need it too!.
I don't understand why devs can't just look at what people complain about, make mods to fix, etc... and not keep on doing the same dull design 10+ years down the line.
So many games are just copying the Last of Us/Horizon style 'small ammo pool, large pool of items to instantly create more ammo' mechanic directly, and it just doesn't add anything other than extra menu fiddling mid-combat.

If you have to have yet another open world game with yet another crafting system and yet another harvesting and etc system, do you really need to make it actively worse by limiting how much you can harvest, when there's no mechanical benefit to do so other than adding additional tedium for the player?
(Ammo resource caps: fine! That has a mechanical use! Even though it's beyond stupid to start the game with 20+200 arrows, making the cap irrelevant from hour 0.
Resource caps for crafting armor, that I can only craft in towns, and with a recipe anyhow? Boo. I already have to spend time getting the resources and I only get higher quality stuff if it's the correct weather/time of day when harvesting them, on top of the harvesting minigame.)

Also the harvesting minigame really just looks like you're trying to jerk the plants off.

Generally the answer for "why don't they fix this" is "because they make millions of dollars anyway, so why touch the formula"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Triarii posted:

I can't really blame players for not correctly intuiting what designers mean with their difficulty levels. It's like creating a character before you've played the game - you're just guessing at what's going to be a good experience for you, and some of the time you're going to be wrong. Remnant 2 in particular makes it hard by blurring the line between "difficulty level" and "new game+" since the higher difficulties are meant to be played when you have better gear from beating the lower ones.

It’s also very common for a game with 4 difficulty levels to have the lowest difficulty be Easy, but many games recently stopped calling it Easy for some reason so when you see four difficulty levels and none of them have intuitive names, you’d understandably think it’s fine to start on the second one without realizing what you’re signing up for. Anecdotally I’ve seen a lot of people get got by this in the remnant 2 thread and discords.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

It’s also very common for a game with 4 difficulty levels to have the lowest difficulty be Easy, but many games recently stopped calling it Easy for some reason so when you see four difficulty levels and none of them have intuitive names, you’d understandably think it’s fine to start on the second one without realizing what you’re signing up for. Anecdotally I’ve seen a lot of people get got by this in the remnant 2 thread and discords.

I get it I get it you hate Doom (1993)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SubNat posted:

It's Avatar - I think they ARE given how they interface. :P

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Really annoying when devs decide a game should have 4 players and only 4 players by making you play with bots. My gaming group is often just 3 of us and it can be frustrating having a bot running around with us, especially when they do stuff like loot items or get stuck. I know L4D and Vermintide is guilty of this and it looks like GTFO has the same problem. Just let us start the game without the bot!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've had the opposite problem in Splatoon lately, thanks to connection issues. Having one person drop out of your four-player team can be doable, having two drop is a death sentence but the times matches just chug on anyway. I wish there was a mercy rule that would just end things if half the team drops out.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Away all Goats posted:

Really annoying when devs decide a game should have 4 players and only 4 players by making you play with bots. My gaming group is often just 3 of us and it can be frustrating having a bot running around with us, especially when they do stuff like loot items or get stuck. I know L4D and Vermintide is guilty of this and it looks like GTFO has the same problem. Just let us start the game without the bot!

Pokemon's had "raids" for the last two games, which requre 4 pokemon. Can they all be 4 of YOUR dozens and dozens of pokemon, which you sometimes use 2 of at once anyway? Nooooo, gotta be 4 players, at least 2 of whom are statistically gonna be 10 years old.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Owl Inspector posted:

Reminds me that the sega genesis game Alien Soldier only has SUPEREASY and SUPERHARD difficulty

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bossy lady posted:

Reminds me that the sega genesis game Alien Soldier only has SUPEREASY and SUPERHARD difficulty

The way it should be :colbert:

But yeah I always like when they give you options to customize the difficulty levels a bit. Some times there's just certain aspects of harder difficult that makes playing on them boring rather than difficult.

Making all the enemies bullet sponges looking at you. Also sometimes just restricting ammo health pickups. For some games designed for it, it can be a good challenge, for others it just means you spend a lot of time using weapons that aren't much fun making enemies into bullet sponges again as you keep using your starting weapon or melee that doesn't run out, and again making it taking ages to kill anything.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Away all Goats posted:

It wouldn't be as bad if the bots were better. It's just amazing seeing how for the past years ultra gigatracing light and liquid modeling* and reduced loadtimes** are the only things AAA and AA gaming have to offer. There's been very little iteration and improvements in gameplay or storytelling and actual design has gotten worse.

Even the dumb graphics they hype are incredibly uneven and it's down right jarring
Awesome that's a hyperrealistic puddle in Spider-Man Remastered, but it's right near a window that has PS3 models inside it. I can see individual pores on Pete's face, but his hair in game is ps4 quality.

*can only be rendered by the top 3 videocards slated to release next year!
**If you have the newest type of storage, but good luck getting it at a size that holds more than 2 games without spending a fortune

dr_rat posted:

But yeah I always like when they give you options to customize the difficulty levels a bit. Some times there's just certain aspects of harder difficult that makes playing on them boring rather than difficult.

Making all the enemies bullet sponges looking at you. Also sometimes just restricting ammo health pickups. For some games designed for it, it can be a good challenge, for others it just means you spend a lot of time using weapons that aren't much fun making enemies into bullet sponges again as you keep using your starting weapon or melee that doesn't run out, and again making it taking ages to kill anything.

Yeah, I really really like it when games are granular like that. The combat and action parts of that Guardians of the Galaxy game Edios put out was just kind of serviceable, but it was cool they let you manage each individual aspect, like how much health and damage output enemies had, Starlord's basic attack and special damage, your NPC companions damage,and even let you fully opt out of QTEs, or disable the chore of selecting pep talk options after you experienced the novelty of goofing them. The newer Spider-man games also had the QTE toggle in at least the Remaster onward.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
There are some battles in Like a Dragon that take forever because the enemy who can barely do any damage has a thousand hit points and huge amounts of defense. And so I just set it for auto-attack, and I leave the room. When I come back, the guy we're trying to kill is like half a block away, and every time someone in my party attacks, they have to run all the way down the street, punch him for almost no damage, then run all the way back. Every time we punch him he gets further and further down the block. It's already taking forever to kill him, but now we are just making it an endurance thing.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I was watching a video for the game Another Crabs Treasure, which is a cute souls like. As such, you don’t choose a difficulty level, but the game has a menu where you can change stuff about the game, like how much damage you take.

One of the options just gives the main character a gun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Why on earth would a crab need a gun

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Why on earth would a crab need a gun

It’s an American crab.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

the deadliest catch

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Captain Hygiene posted:

I wish there was a mercy rule that would just end things if half the team drops out.

There is, if someone leaves in the first half of a match then the game ends after a few seconds, in the second half though? Nope.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I would've thought it cut off a lot earlier than that, though, just in how much time I've spent with a short team. I'm mostly doing co-op now anyway, which doesn't have that, so it feels way too common to just chug along as far as possible with one other person, but not throw the game since I'm not in voice chat to confirm that with the other player.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Azathoth Prime posted:

It’s an American crab.

He's coming to your town

He'll help you burn it to the ground

He's an American crab

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Into the Radius: Like all VR gun games, it suffers from the issue of two handed weapons not having anything to actually brace your arms against, so aiming at range is really shaky. Snipers are nigh unusable past a certain range because of this. There's a button that makes you 'hold your breath' which slows time significantly and actually makes aiming feasible. No tutorial mentions this. I discovered it entirely by accident. But that brings the other problem: Enemies are all black creatures. The game is very dark for a significant chunk of the game. There's at least one area where it's perpetual twilight. This is a significant problem, because while you can't see the enemies unless they're silhouetted, they sure as gently caress can see (and shoot) you. There's no night vision sights, and all the scopes have completely black crosshairs so you can't even see where your aim is when it's dark.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JackSplater posted:

Into the Radius: Like all VR gun games, it suffers from the issue of two handed weapons not having anything to actually brace your arms against, so aiming at range is really shaky. Snipers are nigh unusable past a certain range because of this. There's a button that makes you 'hold your breath' which slows time significantly and actually makes aiming feasible. No tutorial mentions this. I discovered it entirely by accident. But that brings the other problem: Enemies are all black creatures. The game is very dark for a significant chunk of the game. There's at least one area where it's perpetual twilight. This is a significant problem, because while you can't see the enemies unless they're silhouetted, they sure as gently caress can see (and shoot) you. There's no night vision sights, and all the scopes have completely black crosshairs so you can't even see where your aim is when it's dark.

VR gun games should use some kind of rumble feedback to let you know when you have your hands spaced right/stock shouldered. I love H3VR but trying to shoot rifles past 25 yards or so is an exercise in frustration.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Pokemon's had "raids" for the last two games, which requre 4 pokemon. Can they all be 4 of YOUR dozens and dozens of pokemon, which you sometimes use 2 of at once anyway? Nooooo, gotta be 4 players, at least 2 of whom are statistically gonna be 10 years old.

cant they also be AI so you can do the raids without human interaction? you could in Shield...

which... is the same issue as L4D bots i realize

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Sally posted:

cant they also be AI so you can do the raids without human interaction? you could in Shield...

which... is the same issue as L4D bots i realize

Yes, if you aren't online or don't host the raid, the other three are random NPCs. Who might bring a buffed Magikarp.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Schubalts posted:

Yes, if you aren't online or don't host the raid, the other three are random NPCs. Who might bring a buffed Magikarp.

tbf I would probably bring the same or maybe a wobbuffet

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

moosecow333 posted:

I was watching a video for the game Another Crabs Treasure, which is a cute souls like. As such, you don’t choose a difficulty level, but the game has a menu where you can change stuff about the game, like how much damage you take.

One of the options just gives the main character a gun.

the main character, a crab, gets a gun. a full sized gun. not a gun for a crab to hold, not proportional to its body, just a regular fuckin gun :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyJxIkZcl_o

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Coolness Averted posted:

tbf I would probably bring the same or maybe a wobbuffet

Yeah the ally builds are still pretty bad. Nothing like an AI using a move that the enemy is invulnerable over and over again. Gives me WoW pubbie flashbacks, and nothing is worth that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Remnant 2 one of the starting classes is a pet class with a dog companion. The dog, being a dog, can only do melee attacks. Which makes it very dumb that one of the worlds you visit has a lot of flying enemies.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

muscles like this! posted:

In Remnant 2 one of the starting classes is a pet class with a dog companion. The dog, being a dog, can only do melee attacks. Which makes it very dumb that one of the worlds you visit has a lot of flying enemies.

Wait till you see the final boss!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Surely the dog jumps and grabs the enemy out of the air like a frisbee.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
The dog is actually fairly useful in those boss fights, just because they also pick you up when you go down. It's a very good boy.

In remant 1, the dog summon was a skill and incredibly useful if you played solo, not just because it would run around killing stuff and grab aggro but petting it gave you a passive health regen buff.

Now that I think about it, the Remnant 1 final boss also was immune to the dog after a intro 1st phase. It's just a fact of the Remnant universe; final bosses hate dogs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the dog's damage isn't great and attacking things really isn't the point of it, it's to revive you and pull a bunch of aggro just by existing which makes it the best overall class for solo. I used the dog for the entirety of my apocalypse and hardcore veteran runs and never felt tempted to switch to a different class for any of it, even the parts where it couldn't attack anything.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Far Cry: Pandora. Honestly it just seems like Ubisoft has discovered the zero-fun equation.
The game is really pretty, but it's just an utter void of enjoyment. Very glad it was a ubisoft+ title.
A decent or interesting protagonist can help elevate a basic game, but god is 'lol u don't even get a name, idiot' just the wettest, whiniest blanket in a lot of interactions. (I know, not every protag can be Alexios/Kassandra.)

Stardew: I really dislike daily luck as a concept and mechanic.
Unless you look it up, you have no idea what it actually affects, or how much it does.
Once you look it up, you see that it affects so much stuff that you're better off just not caring about it, because it adjusts so many different things.

The effect it has on the feel of stuff vastly outstrips the actual mechanical effect of it.
A bad run in the mine goes from 'guess I was just unlucky' to 'ugh, I shouldn't have done it, the daily luck today was anything other than max.'.
For all the stuff Coral Island just copied over, I'm glad they took a look at luck, realized it was pointless, and nipped it out at some point during early access.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's a shame that it's not a physical copy because then I could say that you asked for it by opening Pandora's Box :P

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Luck mechanics in games aren't usually bad, as long as they can't make things worse than the baseline. That's usually where they go wrong. Terraria had a really dumb luck mechanic added in a patch a couple years back. When it was added, having any torch in an area that wasn't of that biome's type would reduce your Luck stat in the area, while having all proper torches would boost it.. It went from -0.3 luck to +0.3 luck. Mechanically, this meant that you could have up to -15% drop chance on any item in the area. Doesn't sound like much, until you realize there's a number of <1% drop rate items, and reducing that by 15% is a significant increase in mobs killed --> item drop. This understandably led to a lot of people being Mad On The Internet, and a short while later he patched it so that it no longer gave negative luck while also adding an item that would autochange any torch placed to the proper biome type. When asked why the negative luck was there in the first place, the dev said it was because he hated when people used the wrong torches.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

In Like a Dragon: Gaiden the premium adventure (post game running around) does not give Kiryu the option to run around shirtless. Yes this is the pettiest complaint possible.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Does Joryu get to go shirtless at least?

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

There are exactly zero kickass back tattoos in premium adventure mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man, what kind of Yakuza game is that, even. Next you'll be telling me it doesn't have that classic beat-em-up action