Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

How are they still complaining about loving gas stoves.

It’s like a katamari damacy of falsehoods ; new lies are constantly getting rolled in and never going away.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/EandPCartoons/status/1732566114054307985?t=iCo5vyroy3c1RjQh5sqDSQ&s=19

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

the_steve posted:

What're they talking about?
That's clearly the base for the Teen Titans.

I have this thing where I keep looking out for trouble down from
Our tower, we can see it all
When there's trouble or attacking evil, all of the sidekicks
Will band together for your call

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Trapezium Dave posted:

Knight:

An "Airbus Albo" cartoon about him not going to COP28.

I fucken hate the way Knight draws Albanese. It's inexplicable. He doesn't have a long, thin head! He has a round, sort of squat head, with boyish features, like a toddler. By all means make it an ugly caricature if you hate him, but make it recognisable! Who is this person? It looks like just some made-up guy.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

At least with gas stoves there's a legit reason people don't want to give them up. Regular electric stoves can't heat up and cool down instantly, and while induction stoves can they're expensive and require special cookware. It's not like the light bulb "debate" where there's literally no reason for incandescents to exist except to trigger the libs.

e:that said nobody is coming to rip out existing gas stoves and I'm sure by the time you can't get them anymore induction will be much cheaper

L. Ron DeSantis fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 7, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

At least with gas stoves there's a legit reason people don't want to give them up. Regular electric stoves can't heat up and cool down instantly, and while induction stoves can they're expensive and require special cookware.

Here i Norway induction stoves has been the norm for years. I've never heard anyone talk about how expensive they are and that they require "special cookware". Plus they come with the added benefit of not attaching a giant canister of flammable gas to your house.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

What if Congress goes into a frenzy of everyone expelling each other? This is a problem that I foresee.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Which kind of ideas and speech specifically do liberals not tolerate, McCoy?
Also you know when one of the McCoy fucks has a kid with a long speech balloon that kid is going to be saying the most heinous poo poo that has never entered the mind of an actual child even by sheer quantum chance in this or any universe

Edit: it just now occurred to me that they actually think it's a bad thing that we don't respect objectively false ideas

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 7, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Alhazred posted:

Here i Norway induction stoves has been the norm for years. I've never heard anyone talk about how expensive they are and that they require "special cookware". Plus they come with the added benefit of not attaching a giant canister of flammable gas to your house.
Yeah but is there any way of getting an induction stove to release nitrogen dioxide during normal operation so my kids don't grow up with soft pink liberal lungs?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Payne must be thrilled. He's finally found a car that doesn't get uglier when he draws it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Alhazred posted:

Congratulations, but we're talking about an issue in American politics and economics here?
Also, we're largely talking about natural gas which is piped in not propane gas, which is a lot less common.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

Ann Telnaes - The Gossips of Tiktok

... okay, while I normally enjoy her work, I'll admit I'm lost on what's going on in this cartoon. The woman in red is recording the other table of people, posting it online, it causes outrage and when the angry mob arrives, both her and the table of people she's recording are surprises?

Edit: And over people gossiping about someone's choice in wedding dress of all things? I'm really missing something here. I'm sorry, it's early in the morning and caffeine hasn't kicked in yet if it's something that should be painfully obvious.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 7, 2023

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Exactly! The American military would never lie to us :downs:

In my family, stating you didn't believe in Santa meant he wouldn't bring you any more presents.

None of us three kids ever tested that.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Randalor posted:

... okay, while I normally enjoy her work, I'll admit I'm lost on what's going on in this cartoon. The woman in red is recording the other table of people, posting it online, it causes outrage and when the angry mob arrives, both her and the table of people she's recording are surprises?

Edit: And over people gossiping about someone's choice in wedding dress of all things? I'm really missing something here. I'm sorry, it's early in the morning and caffeine hasn't kicked in yet if it's something that should be painfully obvious.

It's a reference to a Norman Rockwell painting called "The Gossips" (Ann included a link to this image underneath her art to remove any ambiguity), which looks like this:

The story goes that Rockwell painted this about an incident in which he heard a harmful piece of gossip about himself and confronted the originator, and indeed the man in the lower-right getting mad is Rockwell himself.

Of course, social media simplifies this process dramatically - all the people find out simultaneously instead. Telnaes might have a particular incident in mind, but I'm pretty sure there isn't a deeper meaning beyond what you've already detected: this woman secretly records some people gossiping and the gossip gets posted to social media, where it makes everyone mad. The vehemence of the reaction of the mad people surprises even the person posting it - she's kind of opened a Pandora's Box here. I don't want to go to WaPo to research this any further at the moment; their workers are on strike today.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh okay, your explanation and seeing the original artwork, the cartoon makes sense now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Stultus Maximus posted:

Congratulations, but we're talking about an issue in American politics and economics here?
Also, we're largely talking about natural gas which is piped in not propane gas, which is a lot less common.
The main issue in American politics and economics in this specific instance is that research found that the gas stoves are giving kids lung problems and that it's significantly worse in lower income and migrant households where appliances are often older and ventilation is worse.

Any actual solution to that would mean some kind of money or vouchers or testing service going to the people that Payne would rather just die though, so even though I can't even see much being done about it anyway, he still needs to remind everyone that it's good and right that big car go vrrrr and poor child go hffff.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I guess having to copy and paste someone else's cartoon animals in the background of your featureless wasteland is a tremendous strain.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Stantis almost had a revelation, so now we're gonna get like 10 entirely blank panels as we move on to the next topic

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
from the party that rejects vaccines for political reasons, drinks bleach and horse dewormer. from THAT party.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Never has

felt more apt.

If just saying what you believe outloud sounds evil, maybe that is a cue to reexamine your beliefs.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Be thankful I’m having computer issues and can’t edit this one to have the man’s chin dripping with a horrifying white fluid.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

I dont know posted:

Never has

felt more apt.

If just saying what you believe outloud sounds evil, maybe that is a cue to reexamine your beliefs.
I've found if you give these people evidence that immigration is good for the economy they have no other response than to flat-out refuse to believe it. No reason given usually. Just "nope, that does not agree with my view of the world, your evidence and data cannot be real".

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 7, 2023

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Islamic Shock posted:

Which kind of ideas and speech specifically do liberals not tolerate, McCoy?
Also you know when one of the McCoy fucks has a kid with a long speech balloon that kid is going to be saying the most heinous poo poo that has never entered the mind of an actual child even by sheer quantum chance in this or any universe

Edit: it just now occurred to me that they actually think it's a bad thing that we don't respect objectively false ideas

It's basically just a wordier version of "Why won't you tolerate my intolerance?"

It used to be we could ask innocent questions like "Are certain groups of people subhuman monsters and pedophiles who should be immediately put to the sword?" and have an honest debate about what size sword we should use. Now they just immediately call me a racist or a TERF or an ignorant piece of poo poo.

The Islamic Shock posted:

I've found if you give these people evidence that immigration is good for the economy they have no other response than to flat-out refuse to believe it. No reason given usually. Just "nope, that does not agree with my view of the world, your evidence and data cannot be real".

I think it used to be the thread title for the Freep thread, some gem of a line that "My brain interprets your facts as lies."

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I skimmed the rant because I didn't know who this was, and this jumped out at me:

Garrison posted:

Tester, who misses three fingers on his left hand, claims to represent “Montana values.”

How are these two ideas related, Ben? Did you mean to sound like missing fingers are inherently related to his lack of Montana Values, or is this just how badly your writing is organised? Why bring up the missing fingers at all? What a weird non sequitur.

Also, of course the politician is a multimillionaire, which is bad when it's true about people I don't like, but they usually are because that's who has the money to run big budget campaigns. That's the system. That's how the system works.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
He's a multi millionaire, which I hate, now let me talk about Trump, who I love because he is so down to earth.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I knew a guy from Montana who was missing a couple because of an incident splitting wood.

I guess in Ben Garrison world that would mean he's a true mountain man who's not afraid of risk and works with his hands instead of in a liberal elite ivory tower if it's someone who he likes, or a dangerous incompetent who tried to do the real man things and failed which makes him a failure if it's someone he dislikes, because the team comes first and everything else slots backwards into that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

RoboRodent posted:

I skimmed the rant because I didn't know who this was, and this jumped out at me:

How are these two ideas related, Ben? Did you mean to sound like missing fingers are inherently related to his lack of Montana Values, or is this just how badly your writing is organised? Why bring up the missing fingers at all? What a weird non sequitur.

Also, of course the politician is a multimillionaire, which is bad when it's true about people I don't like, but they usually are because that's who has the money to run big budget campaigns. That's the system. That's how the system works.

He also didn't seem to draw the dude's left hand at any point, which makes sense until he points out the fingers in text. Why not draw that? In the second panel it almost looks that way, but that's his right hand and the fingers are folder over, apparently. Why not cartoon, cartoonist?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ok I'm not like a creative writing expert, but it seems like your characterization and narrative is contradictory and confusing when your character has opposite opinions from day to day for seemingly no reason.

I mean, if you have two characters you can show both sides of the issue by... assigning each one a side and having them debate instead of one character flip flopping all over the place.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

AGC

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

"Sweetheart, your grandpa must not have taken his meds."
"Is that why he keeps shouting that one word over and over at the TV when he sees a black person?"

JamesBont fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 8, 2023

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
the diff between tester and garrison is that tester knows how to hook up a manure spreader to a tractor and garrison should be hooked up to a tractor and dragged through the cow pasture

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ella Baron on Boris Johnson’s evidence to the Covid-19 inquiry – The former prime minister has admitted vastly underestimating the risks in the early stages of the pandemic"

Telegraph:

Boris denies saying let Covid ‘rip’ –and four other moments from the Covid inquiry today

Matt:

Rwanda says it would have quit deportation deal if UK ditched human rights laws

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Sunak's Government plunged into crisis as Robert Jenrick resigns as immigration minister over Rwanda plan; When is Christmas Jumper Day 2023? How to get involved with the Save the Children event

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Oh that clown in congressparliament.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Workplace relations minister Tony Burke with independent senators Jacqui Lambie and David Pocock. Same pay for same work to become law under Labor-crossbench industrial relations deal (ABC)

Rowe:

The media focus is still on the political falllout of the High Court decision that indefinite immigration detention is unlawful if a non-citizen cannot be deported.

Le Lievre:

Knight:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Five of those released from indefinite detention due to the High Court ruling have since been re-arrested for other crimes or not fulfilling their curfew requirements.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Technowolf posted:

Oh that clown in congressparliament.

Clowns as a monster instead of a fool is at least somewhat new.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

drat, that's a downer :smith:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trapezium Dave posted:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Five of those released from indefinite detention due to the High Court ruling have since been re-arrested for other crimes or not fulfilling their curfew requirements.
That's exactly why I didn't buy the George Pell Advent Calendar, Leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"We called our enemies subhuman vermin who must be wiped from our glorious nation. They called us fascists."
Yeah, uh, not seeing the contradiction here.