Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it also just generally fits zenos' perception of swords in a funny way. most other people in ff14 are hugely dedicated to their profession, to their tools and what those tools mean to them. a master sword fighter will have lots to wax poetic about blades, their construction and how they can be used, the many forms they might take. the swords don't mean anything to zenos. he has no feelings about them beyond how good they are at cutting. he might show a bit of respect for a finely crafted sword he's just acquired but it's just for that, how good the sword can hold up to his insane strength. zenos views most things as just tools to help him better enjoy the slaughter. the sword golf bag isn't filled with his favorite, most indispensable swords, it's just three swords he can choose between depending on how he wants to murder someone. if one of the swords breaks then that's that, he just tosses it aside to go get a new one

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They should have let Zenos keep the golf bag and the One Piece Admiral outfit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Since it's topical, I think we should all take a moment and say "Thank you" to Zenos.

Thank you, Zenos

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

it also just generally fits zenos' perception of swords in a funny way. most other people in ff14 are hugely dedicated to their profession, to their tools and what those tools mean to them. a master sword fighter will have lots to wax poetic about blades, their construction and how they can be used, the many forms they might take. the swords don't mean anything to zenos. he has no feelings about them beyond how good they are at cutting. he might show a bit of respect for a finely crafted sword he's just acquired but it's just for that, how good the sword can hold up to his insane strength. zenos views most things as just tools to help him better enjoy the slaughter. the sword golf bag isn't filled with his favorite, most indispensable swords, it's just three swords he can choose between depending on how he wants to murder someone. if one of the swords breaks then that's that, he just tosses it aside to go get a new one

Yeah, there's a (somewhat funny) scene where Zenos is actually trying to find a weapon that evokes some sort of feeling or emotion in him and you get to see the weapon collection he has and it's full to the brim of incredibly powerful legendary swords (many of which are recognizable as high-end weapons the WoL would have had to fight a godlike being to get) and they're all just discarded on the floor like trash because he can't get himself to care about them.

And when he eventually picks a weapon it isn't some legendary super tool. He picks a scythe not because it's the best weapon there but because it's the only weapon that genuinely made him feel something. (Because he may use the whole sword but he only needs the EDGE.)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Looper posted:

i had the same itch a while ago for game boy stuff and looked through lists of translation patches downloading anything that looked neat. i uh, haven't played most of these for more than a few minutes and i'm sure you've heard of most of them before but here's what i got

Another Bible
Daisenryaku
Kaeru no Tame ne Kane wa Naru
Mahou Kishi Rayearth
Star Ocean: Blue Sphere
Arle no Bouken: Mahou no Jewel
Survival Kids 2
Pokemon Card GB2
Grandia: Parallel Trippers
Little Magic
Pokemon Picross

Haven't heard of most of them, in fact, and didn't know there was a Survival Kids 2, awesome. Will add them to my list.

Tangentially related, I just beat the first MM Battle Network. Does the series improve? I enjoyed it, though I dunno if I'd want to play another one if it's pretty much exactly the same.

Thoughts on it:
- Power Plant really does suck. Who thought putting a health-limiting thing, a lot of backtracking, and invisible paths all in one level was a good idea? I never did learn how the puzzles in that level worked, I just looked them up.
- Some wildly swingy battles. Mostly easy ones, then you'd get three enemies that just fill the field while stealing your space and you're just hosed.
- "Hey honey I'm gonna put our dead toddler's dna in this program so that it'll functionally be the same as him, that makes sense and also you don't mind right? Righto. It may also connect its lifeforce with our living son. Probably won't come up."
- Still dunno what the villains' plan was beyond, uh, destroying everything with a rocket...that has a program on it?
- Really likes the graphics. The design of the sprites, the sorta soft shading of them, really appealed to me for some reason.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh yeah I do like how the villains were like "well you defeated my program, guess you stopped me," because this is a world in which violence doesn't exist (just violence between programs)

Edit: Sorry I love how goofy this game is. Like how the government water works which is also a 'science building' and also a power plant has a lower level where, when power is cut to the building, is apparently airtight enough that it isn't long before everyone in it will simply die from asphyxiation.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 7, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just wait until the sequels.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Generally speaking the sequels are just improved across the board. The internet is less mazelike, dungeon gimmicks are less frustrating, bosses are faster pace and challenging, and the deckbuilding gets deeper. You also start getting deeper character customization where you'll unlock forms that favor certain decks and playstyles.

I would wholeheartedly recommend them! (You should probably skip 4 though.)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
battle network 1 is basically a rough draft for the rest of the series, 2 is a massive improvement and aside from 4 (supposedly, haven't played it) the rest all improve on what 1 established

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is it necessary to play the BN games in order? like if BN1 is that rough compared to the rest of the series, are you better off skipping the first one, or is it sort of necessary for context?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Morpheus posted:

- Still dunno what the villains' plan was beyond, uh, destroying everything with a rocket...that has a program on it?
It's very Saturday Morning Cartoon level villainy but just for MMBN1 Wily's plan was to launch that rocket to hack military satellites and spread the LifeVirus (which was the rocket's payload) from there, destroying the Cyberworld and by extension modern society.
His motives are expanded in later games but from the outset he's nursing a grudge that his robotics program's funding was cut off in favor of Lan's grandfather's research into networks and developing the PET, and his scheme is largely predicated on getting revenge on his rival('s family).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MockingQuantum posted:

Is it necessary to play the BN games in order? like if BN1 is that rough compared to the rest of the series, are you better off skipping the first one, or is it sort of necessary for context?

You can absolutely skip to any one of them, they are all designed to onboard new players. Its just mechanical advances can make it difficult to go backwards to older games once you've played the later ones.

Like as a kid I started with BN2 and never had an issue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

BN has a minor ongoing plot and returning characters. You don't strictly need to play it, it's a kids story, but you'll miss some of the callbacks. Certainly not the end of the world.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snooze Cruise posted:

Rogue Trader out today! Pretty excited about it, not a big 40k fan or anything but the rogue trader section of the setting I always found super interesting.

Won't play it till tomorrow though. Today is Game Awards day and I like to suffer so I'll be watching that and playing a non rpg game that will be released during that afterwards.

Oh man the character creator has so many choices for building your char.

Time to make a custom char without knowing what I'm doing :v:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I like BN1, it's not even particularly long to finish the story compared to later entries, and a friend who'd never played the series started with it in the Collection and had a good time with it.
The thing that's particularly rough is going back to it from later games and missing all the improved QoL added to them.
You don't have to play it to understand the overarching plot or anything, though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

MockingQuantum posted:

even for a mega man series the connecting threads of battle network's narrative are pretty weak. only 1-3 are really important to each other and even then they're definitely written to be playable each on their own, the most interesting beats of battle network 1 are just kinda treated as matter of fact in the later games

battle network 4 and 5's plot is literally about wily's even eviler stepson. like so evil that even wily thinks he's going a bit too far. that's the funniest plot connection. battle network 5 and 6 are technically connected by one major character but barrel is pretty inconsistent between games which kinda shows how not planned it all was

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

here's what you need to know about battle network 1:
-lan is a plucky kid
-mega man is one of a kind compared to other digital robot masters (net navis)
-mayl, dex, yai, and a former bad guy named higsby are lan's pals
-the bad guys were led by AU dr wily
-lan's grandfather is AU dr light
-roll is mayl's net navi, guts man is dex's net navi, proto man is the rude rival chaud's net navi
-(actual plot twist) mega man is one of a kind and can't be backed up like other navis because he is actually lan's twin brother, digitized after death by their father

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you just wanna play Battle Network id just play 3 and 6

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
battle chip challenge is also kind of neat if you want a weird spinoff with some mildly fun character ideas who actually get to have a bit of focus since lan isn't expressly the main character

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

I feel like there's a significant chunk of the audience who just do not want that poo poo in the game but are perfectly happy buying a game if it's gone in their local version and that's not a hypocritical position?

Edit:skeezy poo poo not the golf bag. The golf bag and Zenos in general rules.

Yeah, it's like: I'm not out here trying to organize a boycott because of a part I don't care for, but I'd still rather not look at it given the choice.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Looper posted:

i had the same itch a while ago for game boy stuff and looked through lists of translation patches downloading anything that looked neat. i uh, haven't played most of these for more than a few minutes and i'm sure you've heard of most of them before but here's what i got

Another Bible
Daisenryaku
Kaeru no Tame ne Kane wa Naru
Mahou Kishi Rayearth
Star Ocean: Blue Sphere
Arle no Bouken: Mahou no Jewel
Survival Kids 2
Pokemon Card GB2
Grandia: Parallel Trippers
Little Magic
Pokemon Picross

blue sphere's tl got finished?!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats fine, im talking about people who literally are doing that.if you arent doing the thing i mentioned in my post, the post isnt about you

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Morpheus posted:

I'm trying out some older games on SNES, gameboy/color/advance, etc, at the moment looking for recommendations of good games that were never officially translated but got translation patches later on. All those "Hidden Gems of X System!" lists never take those into account.

The Cyber Knight games for SNES were pretty interesting as obscure fan-translated stuff goes; sci-fi RPGs where you explore the galaxy in a spaceship and have mecha battles. Tonally they kinda feel like Star Trek TOS, with mysterious space gods and planets where everybody is weirdly dedicated to one specific idea and all of that kind of thing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leraika posted:

blue sphere's tl got finished?!

No I don't believe it did

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a broken machine translation that got leaked online

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I doubt they'll do it but I'd love Blue Sphere to be DLC for SO2 Remake

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I doubt they'll do it but I'd love Blue Sphere to be DLC for SO2 Remake

That'd be real cool

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
i wanna get into the original phantasy star series, but i've heard that the tl for ps2 isn't really great. are there any patches that make the tl closer to the original script?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It's not that bad really, you could play the translated PS2 remake instead which is probably a bit more accurate and expanded

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Since it's topical, I think we should all take a moment and say "Thank you" to Zenos.

Thank you, Zenos
you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to" zenos

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Thank you, Zenos

He deserves it

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zereth posted:

you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to" zenos

This person did not say "That, I cannot deny.". Shame them. Shame them for it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Holy poo poo a new MANA GAME

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ok, I'm up to Kirara's chapter in Blue Reflection Tie and if I end up dropping this game halfway through it's not going to be because of the combat per se, it's going to be because of the loving sand

You need it for everything and the only way to get it is endlessly grinding rare drops in worlds you've already cleared, and there's no Atelier-style autokill so it takes forever

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEe8nO6xsGw

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

Holy poo poo a new MANA GAME

it's so beautiful...

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
obscure SE series fans keep winning

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Best announcement of the day tbh

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

I was gonna say, I like the sword sheath but it bothered me that he wasn't holding the holster itself instead of one of the swords. But now I know that's an enormous character flaw of his that he doesn't care about any of the swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zenos is so freakin cool