Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
*edit* phone double posting sorry oh God what an embarrassing page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

I get Rob Riggle and Bobby Cannavale mixed up.

That's just lunacy

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

big mean giraffe posted:

Gross, no I don't. The state is too good to forget who Ken Marino is

It's Dan Marino

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

:syoon:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Randalor posted:

I didn't see anything about him being on Family Guy on IMDB, are you thinking of Patrick Warburton? They do look kinda similar at a glance.

All white men look the same to me

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

All white men look the same to me

I doubt you've ever even seen a white man.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He's a comedian who has a ton of background/one scene roles in comedies. Usually as a needlessly violent/stupid cop.

The only role I can remember seeing him in was the skipper of the booze cruise who has sex with Meredith on The Office.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

YeahTubaMike posted:

The only role I can remember seeing him in was the skipper of the booze cruise who has sex with Meredith on The Office.

He was the coach in 21 Jump Street and the guy what ate a man's penis in Step Brothers.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Push El Burrito posted:

He was the coach in 21 Jump Street

Speaking of media that didn't age well...

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Ken Jeong can gently caress off. He's never said or did anything funny, just pushes the "angry asian" poo poo and is bereft of skills, talent, and likeability.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He’s good in Community, a show that is surely in some form of hall of fame for this thread.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Chrpno posted:

Ken Jeong can gently caress off. He's never said or did anything funny, just pushes the "angry asian" poo poo and is bereft of skills, talent, and likeability.

I liked him in s2 of The Afterparty. Not angry at all, just a guy trying his best.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
His sitcom Dr. Ken lasted a single season. Guy was an actual doctor but couldn't play one on TV.

EDITL 2 SEASONS??? HOW

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

well why not posted:

He’s good in Community, a show that is surely in some form of hall of fame for this thread.

I watched through all of Community some time in the past year and it holds up just fine for the most part, there's some stuff that raises an eyebrow but it's largely the stuff that people were commenting on at the time (ie the Jeff/Annie relationship). Ken Jeong is pretty good in the first season, and not terrible in 5/6, but he is unbearable in the middle part (I didn't watch Season 4).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron von Eevl posted:

Speaking of media that didn't age well...

It’s one of the greatest comedies of the last decade

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
assuming we don't become more like Gilead every day, I wonder if, say, 10 to 15 years from now people will watch Handmaid's Tale and go "wow, that is pretty WTF. Did Whedon write this?"

I know to never read the comments, but dear God (may the Lord open) the episode with the child brides, and how the veils are lifted to show how they're all like 13 years old. And while many of the grooms, all in their 20s or older, look somewhat put off by this, many more are grinning. The comments are about what you would expect from dudes who would love to be Commanders (and probably get executed in public for loving around too much) about how AcTuAlLy this is the best age for maximum children and it's normal. And when called out, the replies are generally "So you expect the Angels/men to be satisfied with used up single moms then?"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CelticPredator posted:

It’s one of the greatest comedies of the last decade

It isn't from the last decade though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It came out 11 years ago.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Right. The 2010s were the last decade

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

We're all out of decades. The previous one was the last one and we're living on borrowed time till this one runs dry and then it will just be 20XX forever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FreudianSlippers posted:

We're all out of decades. The previous one was the last one and we're living on borrowed time till this one runs dry and then it will just be 20XX forever.

But where the gently caress is Mega Man then?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Chrpno posted:

Every time I see this person show up, I wonder why. Surely there's anyone else that could do these jokes but funny.

He contributes nothing. He is the Luigi of comedy films.

credburn has a new favorite as of 07:45 on Dec 8, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

credburn posted:

Every time I see this person show up, I wonder why. Surely there's anyone else that could do these jokes but funny.

The Hangover was really really successful.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

credburn posted:

I get Rob Riggle and Bobby Cannavale mixed up.

They share screentime in The Other Guys in at least one scene, watching it should cure you of the notion they're similar.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

credburn posted:

He contributes nothing. He is the Luigi of comedy films.

First season Chang had some good moments. I think he nails the deranged imposter character perfectly. They just didn't take the character in a way most people liked, becoming increasingly weird and pitiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHHs8TW0AB0

LASER BEAM DREAM has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Dec 8, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
He probably had the best performance in the category of "ill-advised blackface jokes" too, the drow cosplay that they instantly shut down in the D&D episode. Shame that episode got pulled for that, because the entire joke is "no, don't do blackface, we're not doing that", but I get why.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I've met the guy before and I can say that Ken was a damned kind person, at least to myself and my friends. He also seemed waaaaay more interested in talking about medical poo poo as compared to hollywood stuff.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

TGG posted:

I've met the guy before and I can say that Ken was a damned kind person, at least to myself and my friends. He also seemed waaaaay more interested in talking about medical poo poo as compared to hollywood stuff.

Honestly? If i met him I'd immediately try to get him to talk medical poo poo. I'm a professional disabled person so I feel like it would be most likely to lead to a good and funny convo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Genuinely curious about whether med school or hollywood is a more hosed-up experience with scarier and more abusive people.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

I AM GRANDO posted:

Genuinely curious about whether med school or hollywood is a more hosed-up experience with scarier and more abusive people.

I'm going to say Med School because of the expected sleep deprivation. I think in Hollywood they allow you to do that.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Jeong is the only good judge in The Masked Singer, my ultimate trash guilty pleasure reality TV show, so I'm willing to cut him some slack for that.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The modern med school overload was designed by a doctor who loved speed. Modern doctors can't just walk into the supply room and choke down a bottle of amphetamines.

Necessity is the mother of invention: William Stewart Halsted’s addiction and its influence on the development of residency training in North America

"William Stewart Halsted developed a novel residency training program at Johns Hopkins Hospital that, with some modifications, became the model for surgical and medical residency training in North America. While performing anesthesia research early in his career, Halsted became addicted to cocaine and morphine. This paper dissects how his innovative multi-tier residency program helped him hide his addiction while simultaneously providing outstanding patient care and academic training."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7828946/

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Rochallor posted:

I watched through all of Community some time in the past year and it holds up just fine for the most part, there's some stuff that raises an eyebrow but it's largely the stuff that people were commenting on at the time (ie the Jeff/Annie relationship). Ken Jeong is pretty good in the first season, and not terrible in 5/6, but he is unbearable in the middle part (I didn't watch Season 4).

It mostly holds up but there is an episode that has something to do with a transfer student pageant that features a pretty prominent slur through the whole bit. Grossed me out on a recent rewatch.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

800peepee51doodoo posted:

It mostly holds up but there is an episode that has something to do with a transfer student pageant that features a pretty prominent slur through the whole bit. Grossed me out on a recent rewatch.

How do people feel about Dean's character as a whole? They toyed with a lot of taboos with his portrayal.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Community is great, but early on they sometimes lost track of where the line was between "having a racist character say racist things, as a joke, in a way that clearly demonstrates they are wrong" and "just making racist jokes, but having the racist character say them so it's 'okay'."

They were often on the correct side of that line, and they never got as bad as stuff like The Office. But it's there.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I only lasted two episodes of Community but they were both entirely focused on a fuckin creep lying and manipulating a woman and committing real toxic acts in hopes to gently caress her. I hear it's a good show and it's got to get better, but man the opening episodes are cringey as gently caress

Like, he's the protagonist of the show. I don't want to see his shenanigans.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hollywood has really strong unions so you have mandated rest times even if you are working 12-14 hours per day for up to several months at a time.

Doctors don't really have that as far as I know, at least not while they're still young.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He probably had the best performance in the category of "ill-advised blackface jokes" too, the drow cosplay that they instantly shut down in the D&D episode. Shame that episode got pulled for that, because the entire joke is "no, don't do blackface, we're not doing that", but I get why.

Same. It was on the level of It's Always Sunny and Thropic Thunder where the entire point is how wrong it is, and neither of those got pulled as far as I know.

Pierce and his dad were way more offensive most of the time and none of that got pulled which, to be clear, shouldn't because the entire point is that he's an awful person being awful. "I can excuse the racism but I draw the line at animal cruelty" is a great bit.

I do get why they pulled the episode given the culture at the time and erring on the side of caution and it's not my place to decide whether other people's grievances are valid, so whatever.

Taeke has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

credburn posted:

I only lasted two episodes of Community but they were both entirely focused on a fuckin creep lying and manipulating a woman and committing real toxic acts in hopes to gently caress her. I hear it's a good show and it's got to get better, but man the opening episodes are cringey as gently caress

Like, he's the protagonist of the show. I don't want to see his shenanigans.

Might you have watched some or all of How I Met Your Mother by mistake?