Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

It’s hard because Dan Snyder and racism killed my lifelong rooting interest and now the gators are dying.

Maybe I should stick regional and look toward panthers or falcons? I’m glad the dolphins are fun.

It just feels so artificial to cultivate a fanhood in my, uh, forties.

Have a kid, then hope they go to a college with a good football team you can adopt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’m mostly being facetious about bailing on the gators im just frustrated that all they bring is frustration anymore. They’ve been my team for uh 35yrs now and they aren’t going anywhere.

But yeah I do want to get back into NFL and I don’t want to just pick whoever is good. But gently caress Washington.

I do have some affection for Jacksonville because they expanded right when we left the Jax area. I’m already a Braves fan for life so may as well glom onto another Atlanta franchise I guess, even if they aren’t good.

I dunno though I’ve been saying this poo poo for years and it’s a boring derail.

PostNouveau posted:

Have a kid, then hope they go to a college with a good football team you can adopt

Only 11 or so years left!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
My brother randomly decided when he was like 10 that he was going to be a Husker fan (we grew up in Florida and no family went to college anywhere), you could pivot. There's time.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Didn't UF win a natty like fifteen years ago

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Could always adopt an FCS school. I’m biased but the Idaho Vandals are the coolest and best team and play in the best stadium.

We host Albany this week, and oddly enough have them scheduled as a regular opponent next season, again at the Kibbie Dome, so it will be a revenge game for someone.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Fifty Three posted:

Didn't UF win a natty like fifteen years ago

Yep. And they’ve been dogshit since.

A Real Horse posted:

Could always adopt an FCS school. I’m biased but the Idaho Vandals are the coolest and best team and play in the best stadium.

My wife went to Furman so I’ve got a soft spot

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I think Michigan*, Florida State, and Washington have what should have been unassailable claims to playoff spots. In my mind Alabama and Texas have to impress judges with style points. I believe going undefeated in the SEC West counts for more than a win over Alabama when their QB had a single start under his belt.

Texas has a loss to a team that probably wouldn't be in a 12 team playoff. The crowning moment of Texas' season so far happened in the second week before all of the attrition of the season sunk in.

Alabama played in the toughest division in the toughest conference in football. They beat the two time defending champion in the final week of the season.

If Alabama and Texas played in the first round of the playoff who do you think would be favored? For that matter would Texas be favored over a hypothetical playoff-motivated, full-roster Georgia team?

It is amusing that the the committee managed to basically invite two Big Ten teams and two SEC teams in the final year before the playoff expansion. How many of the twelve spots will these two conferences take up next year?

* Michigan should participate in the playoffs with a coaching staff made of analysts from each of its espionage victims.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

A Real Horse posted:

We host Albany this week, and oddly enough have them scheduled as a regular opponent next season, again at the Kibbie Dome, so it will be a revenge game for someone.

I'm sorry, the Vandal's turf is a normal color, can't be an Idaho team without a horrid field.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

I mean what can you even do? UF is a dead football program. Irrelevant.

Etienne apparently had a pinned retweet about how they are slow on hiring coaches. It’s going to suck watching him churn 1300yds with a heisman next year (and prob put up 150 on us).

We lost our best edge rusher and are prob losing one of our highest ceiling defender (McClellan) to yall.

I’m not going to stop watching ball but nearly 15yrs of basically being completely irrelevant is doing some rough things to me haha.

Billy just doesn’t seem to be cut out for this poo poo.

Just look at Florida State. They got lovely at the end of Bobby Bowden's time, won a title with Jimbo, got really lovely again after he left, and now they're good again.

With the local demographics the right coaching staff can turn things around quickly.

I'm a Husker fan. I think Matt Rhule will get the team back to Pelini-era results. By this I mean usually beating the non blue bloods but not being competitive with the elite teams on the schedule. This would be a great improvement from the results of the last nine years, but it pales in comparison to the unforgettable heights of the 90s. 60-3 never forget.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tagesreste posted:

I'm indifferent to the Oregon State games continuing going forward, to be honest. I've had enough negative experiences with Beavers fans (including a friend of mine who's like a sister to me getting swung at outside of Taylor's) that I would have been OK if that game was dead and buried going forward. At least it's pre-season now so any potential loss or injuries there have less of a chance of torpedoing the conference run instead of having it at the very end as some spoiler bullshit.

that was just a Saturday night at Taylor's though lol

Tagesreste
Jan 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

harperdc posted:

that was just a Saturday night at Taylor's though lol

I’m so glad it’s dead and buried. An absolute blight on Eugene that was basically the campus version of The Rok or The District.

Tagesreste fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 8, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

PBCrunch posted:

I think Michigan*, Florida State, and Washington have what should have been unassailable claims to playoff spots. In my mind Alabama and Texas have to impress judges with style points. I believe going undefeated in the SEC West counts for more than a win over Alabama when their QB had a single start under his belt.

Texas has a loss to a team that probably wouldn't be in a 12 team playoff. The crowning moment of Texas' season so far happened in the second week before all of the attrition of the season sunk in.

Alabama played in the toughest division in the toughest conference in football. They beat the two time defending champion in the final week of the season.

If Alabama and Texas played in the first round of the playoff who do you think would be favored? For that matter would Texas be favored over a hypothetical playoff-motivated, full-roster Georgia team?

It is amusing that the the committee managed to basically invite two Big Ten teams and two SEC teams in the final year before the playoff expansion. How many of the twelve spots will these two conferences take up next year?

* Michigan should participate in the playoffs with a coaching staff made of analysts from each of its espionage victims.

If the SEC was so tough why did they have the worst OOC record?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

It’s hard because Dan Snyder and racism killed my lifelong rooting interest and now the gators are dying.

Maybe I should stick regional and look toward panthers or falcons? I’m glad the dolphins are fun.

i would suggest just rooting for your football team that is now roughly on par with 100 other fanbases in college football

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

LeeMajors posted:

I’m mostly being facetious about bailing on the gators im just frustrated that all they bring is frustration anymore. They’ve been my team for uh 35yrs now and they aren’t going anywhere.

But yeah I do want to get back into NFL and I don’t want to just pick whoever is good. But gently caress Washington.

I do have some affection for Jacksonville because they expanded right when we left the Jax area. I’m already a Braves fan for life so may as well glom onto another Atlanta franchise I guess, even if they aren’t good.

I dunno though I’ve been saying this poo poo for years and it’s a boring derail.

Only 11 or so years left!

You got a Spurdog championship and two under Meyer, boo hoo

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

If the SEC was so tough why did they have the worst OOC record?

PAC-12 - 7-3
ACC - 10-9
Big 12 - 6-6
SEC - 7-9
Big 10 - 5-8

Based on these numbers (P5 vs P5 only, I'm to lazy to check to see if Notre Dame is counted in there) the Big Ten is clearly the worst P5 conference. That checks out. Mostly due to the B10W.

But these numbers are meaningless. Who played who? A victory by a top team from conference x over an also ran from conference y doesn't really mean much.

There are 14 SEC teams and each one plays four OOC games. That's 56 OOC matchups. Out of that 56, only 13 were against P5 teams. Yuck. And just from the top of my head that includes yearly in state matchups with Georgia Tech, Clemson, Louisville. So 10/53 OOC games the athletic directors got to pick were filled by a P5 team.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 8, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

PBCrunch posted:

PAC-12 - 7-3
ACC - 10-9
Big 12 - 6-6
SEC - 7-9
Big 10 - 5-8

Based on these numbers (P5 vs P5 only, I'm to lazy to check to see if Notre Dame is counted in there) the Big Ten is clearly the worst P5 conference. That checks out. Mostly due to the B10W.

But these numbers are meaningless. Who played who? A victory by a top ten from conference x over an also ran from conference y doesn't really mean much.

Thanks for the correction. The SEC was the second worst OOC conference.

Two of the nine losses for the SEC were to FSU and Texas. I don't think you can call the losers in those games also rans.

Also, you can't say "oh the SEC only lost because those were the bad teams losing" while also saying that the SEC is the best because you have to play all these bad teams that lose to everyone.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
gently caress DUKE

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1732936213105918342

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I don't mean those particular teams are also rans. I'm saying a simple comparison of conference OOC results isn't necessarily a useful way of comparing conference strength.

The true measure of conference strength is tv revenue. The big ten reigns supreme.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
You really can't know how good a conference is until you kill it and count the rings.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Pimpcasso posted:

You got a Spurdog championship and two under Meyer, boo hoo

I know I know

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

It’s hard because Dan Snyder and racism killed my lifelong rooting interest
:smith: :hf: :smith: Yeah.

But again, as others have mentioned, you actually have two good pro teams right now in Florida! So go bandwagon the Jags and Phins!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

You really can't know how good a conference is until you kill it and count the rings.

So how good is the PAC-12?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Zwabu posted:

:smith: :hf: :smith: Yeah.

But again, as others have mentioned, you actually have two good pro teams right now in Florida! So go bandwagon the Jags and Phins!

I’m really from Charleston though (and I haven’t lived near Florida since I was a kid) so I’m kind of in the middle of a bunch of franchises. I know this is intensely off topic and borderline offseason thread chat, but I grew up in the 80s/90s, my family is from Virginia and Washington was *the* NFL team on TV down here.

It just feels weird having a multi-decade but dead-and-buried fanhood and resetting, but I really want to get back into the NFL. I guess it would be weird with any team. I should just lean in.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

I started watching F1 last year for the first time since...how long ago was Schumacher driving for Benetton because it was that far back. It is kinda fun to get into something new after decades of the same old same old.

Mistakenly, I selected Max Verstappen because I remembered Jos Verstappen and that's a good European Racecar Driver name. But I switched to Lando Norris on the basis of thinking the Marlboro McLarens were the best looking cars when I was a kid and Tumi luggage has a McLaren luggage line and they make Tumi luggage in my wife's home town so I'm really supporting local business here.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sash! posted:

I started watching F1 last year for the first time since...how long ago was Schumacher driving for Benetton because it was that far back. It is kinda fun to get into something new after decades of the same old same old.

Mistakenly, I selected Max Verstappen because I remembered Jos Verstappen and that's a good European Racecar Driver name. But I switched to Lando Norris on the basis of thinking the Marlboro McLarens were the best looking cars when I was a kid and Tumi luggage has a McLaren luggage line and they make Tumi luggage in my wife's home town so I'm really supporting local business here.

Schumacher went from Benetton to Ferrari in 1996 so lol

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sash! posted:

I watched a Formula E race a while back and it was funny as gently caress watching these racing machines zipping by, but instead of the aggressive growls of engines, they all sounded like dentist drills.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Sash! posted:

I actually had the same experience going from early- and mid-90s F1 with some ESPN updates and notes in Road & Track or Car and Driver magazines and then picking it up again 5 or 6 years ago.

That’s actually a pretty good corollary and maybe I should just embrace it that way.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cthulu Carl posted:

I watched a Formula E race a while back and it was funny as gently caress watching these racing machines zipping by, but instead of the aggressive growls of engines, they all sounded like dentist drills.

At least they don't have to completely change cars mid race any more.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I always liked getting into a sport and picking a rooting interest for the most deliberately arbitrary of reasons.

Ask me about my stint following British Touring Cars because I heard them say the leader's name was Jack Goff

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

harperdc posted:

So how good is the PAC-12?

We won't know until Washington's season is over

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Alaois posted:

my favorite kind of poster on SA is the one who decides a decade in to having an account they want to try out an absolutely atrocious gimmick

Hello,

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sash! posted:

At least they don't have to completely change cars mid race any more.

It was a while ago, so I think they actually did have to change cars

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cthulu Carl posted:

It was a while ago, so I think they actually did have to change cars

The Gen1 cars couldn't run for a whole race on the charge, so they had to swap mid-race. That was about five years ago.

I've never really watched a race, but I remember when they announced Formula E, I was think "oh huh that's interesting, electric racing." Then I instantly read that they had to swap cars mid-race and I changed to "ok this might be premature."

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

LeeMajors posted:

You're much better off just forgetting the nfl exists.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

PBCrunch posted:

Oklahoma is ranked 12 in the cfb and missed out on the ny6 because Liberty has the automatic g5 bid. They're the only team with a win over a current playoff contender besides Texas itself and their 2 losses are to decent teams by a total of 8 points.

I hate Texas more than just about anyone but they did earn their spot.

Stanley Tucheetos fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 8, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Oklahoma is ranked 12 in the cfb and missed out on the ny6 because Liberty has the automatic g5 bid. They're the only team with a win over a current playoff contender besides georgia and their 2 losses are to decent teams by a total of 8 points.

I hate Texas more than just about anyone but they did earn their spot.

Also rivalry game that's normally like a two-dudes-tied-together-at-the-wrists-with-knives-in-their-other-hands fight, and it came down to the last drive, and probably the difference was coaching mistakes more than anything (Sark not taking the FG more than once, running it up the gut 4 times from the 1-yard line, prevent defense at the end when a FG would have tied it).

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

OU was also oddly disrespected in the polls compared to the other 2 loss teams, and probably would have looked better under more scrutiny if playoff spots were on the line. They had a bad year last year, but that was completely understandable too, and it is a program that constantly rebounds from years like that over the last few decades.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sash! posted:

The Gen1 cars couldn't run for a whole race on the charge, so they had to swap mid-race. That was about five years ago.

I've never really watched a race, but I remember when they announced Formula E, I was think "oh huh that's interesting, electric racing." Then I instantly read that they had to swap cars mid-race and I changed to "ok this might be premature."

And now they’re talking about having pit stops not to make the races longer but to add some extra energy, using like 650 kW charging to do so.

But this is all fodder for the chat thread or the various racing threads in SAS now that we’re to details.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

We won't know until Washington's season is over

:smith:

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

DuckHuntDog posted:

OU was also oddly disrespected in the polls compared to the other 2 loss teams, and probably would have looked better under more scrutiny if playoff spots were on the line. They had a bad year last year, but that was completely understandable too, and it is a program that constantly rebounds from years like that over the last few decades.

ESPN wanted four SEC teams in the NY6 + playoff. Sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sash! posted:

I honestly think Formula E is much more interesting than F1 at this point. I mean it's silly but the races are usually very entertaining rather than a procession decided by the end of lap 1.