Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I believe the steer was to just have one season-long one of these this season, so here it is.

Week 0 miscellany:

- Oh no ND has a QB
- Vanderbilt's stadium is going to fall down on someone this season
- Lincoln Riley defense is BAU
- New clock rules make the in-game go faster to give us more commercials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

foot ball

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

the moment i knew football was back was when the pac 12 announcers talked about how the USC defense was playing with a chip on their shoulder bc they wanted to prove the media wrong after an offseason of doubts

as the usc defense gave up a 3rd and 21

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Basketball

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

D.N. Nation posted:

- New clock rules make the in-game go faster to give us more commercials

As predicted.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

LeeMajors posted:

As predicted.

lmao yeah who was the dude in tv production telling me itt that it was impossible to add more commercials

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It’s not going to start soon enough for me this season I’m afraid.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
It's not just Vandy's stadium that's under construction. I was in their medical center last week (pancreas dead) and the entire place is construction cranes. They also start work early, woken from my lovely dilaudid nap at 7am by a jackhammer symphony.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

D.N. Nation posted:

- Oh no ND has a QB

thankfully they're playing USC, OSU, and Clemson this year so they're only making the CFP if they beat some good teams

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I’d be mad but USC fans prob deserve this

https://twitter.com/CFBcampustour/status/1695616056558317915?s=20

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Why would you intentionally build that

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Sash! posted:

Why would you intentionally build that

USC never sells out the Coliseum so you really only buy that ticket if you want to do it (as evidenced by the empty section surrounding him). That said?

Purdue figured out how to build a luxury box thingy into the existing stands without creating a ton of obstructed views, and you couldn't? Tsk tsk

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

D.N. Nation posted:

USC never sells out the Coliseum so you really only buy that ticket if you want to do it (as evidenced by the empty section surrounding him). That said?

Purdue figured out how to build a luxury box thingy into the existing stands without creating a ton of obstructed views, and you couldn't? Tsk tsk

If they can make boilers then they obviously have an engineering advantage.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

J33uk posted:

If they can make boilers then they obviously have an engineering advantage.

Hence the 60/40 male to female student ratio.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

News: Week 0

Views: Doesn't count as the start of football season

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I cant tell, but this on the border of the visitor section, possibly in it

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
BIG LIGHTS
BIG STAGE
BIG OBSTRUCTION
BIG TEN

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Welcome to the 2023 College football season, which is going to be an Irish funeral for the Pacific-12 Conference all year long.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

UVA goes winless this year

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1696134229665472642?s=46
https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1696134231636721832?s=46

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

J33uk posted:

It's not just Vandy's stadium that's under construction. I was in their medical center last week (pancreas dead) and the entire place is construction cranes. They also start work early, woken from my lovely dilaudid nap at 7am by a jackhammer symphony.

Are… are you OK? :ohdear:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

This sounds like an awful deal for Cal and Stanford, but maybe still better than the MWC I guess?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

florida is gonna suck rear end

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

J33uk posted:

I'm curious what a dead pancreas feels like? I mean, I don't think it sounds good.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

florida is gonna suck rear end

Any new info or just having the reality of Mertzmentum crashing into your psyche periodically?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

Any new info or just having the reality of Mertzmentum crashing into your psyche periodically?

Spurrier is talking up the walk-on QB (Micah Leon) as somebody to watch out for lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Was Mertz just overhyped and bad to begin with coming out of high school or did Wisconsin somehow break him?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Was Mertz just overhyped and bad to begin with coming out of high school or did Wisconsin somehow break him?

I'd say Wisconsin broke him. Never recruited anyone to really challenge him for QB1, had an amazing debut in 2020 before the team got COVID, and there was a clear slippage in the offensive line from "constant top 10 unit" to "somewhat of a problem."

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

Spurrier is talking up the walk-on QB (Micah Leon) as somebody to watch out for lol

LOL

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

DrunkPanda posted:

News: Week 0

Views: Doesn't count as the start of football season

Like gently caress it didn't. I had college football on my TV on saturday pawwllllll

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Football this weekend I am excited

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Ungratek posted:

UVA goes winless this year

I think they can beat William & Mary, but I've looked at their schedule and I really cannot see another win on there. JMU is legitimately a good team, but it is still going to be an embarrassment to lose at home to them. I think Elliott has to get to 4 wins or they need to fire him.

Edit:

Also, SMU seems like a terrible fit for the ACC. Do they really bring any value at all?

Komet fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 28, 2023

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

This sounds like an awful deal for Cal and Stanford, but maybe still better than the MWC I guess?

Did you miss the part about "success initiatives"? That definitely sounds like a real thing.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Komet posted:

Also, SMU seems like a terrible fit for the ACC. Do they really bring any value at all?

SMU alums are loaded. Value in terms of TV? Probably not, but there's gold in them there booster club

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Judgy Fucker posted:

SMU alums are loaded. Value in terms of TV? Probably not, but there's gold in them there booster club

Got a payroll to meet? These are your alumni!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Harbaugh is already going mildly nuts with his suspension (though he apparently coaches during the week):

https://twitter.com/ByAZuniga/status/1696194730424512512?t=PR9Vkat-OQGeMgRzO46Odw&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 28, 2023

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Komet posted:

I think they can beat William & Mary, but I've looked at their schedule and I really cannot see another win on there. JMU is legitimately a good team, but it is still going to be an embarrassment to lose at home to them. I think Elliott has to get to 4 wins or they need to fire him.

Edit:

They aren’t going to fire Elliott in year 2 unless he’s the cause of some off the field issues. The school really respects the way he handled the end of last season and that’ll give him some rope.

We gave Mike London an eternity and we were bad almost the entire time he was there.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Are… are you OK? :ohdear:

wernox posted:

I'm curious what a dead pancreas feels like? I mean, I don't think it sounds good.

I'm okay at the moment! My pancreas is mostly dead due to exciting genetic complications (CFTR carrier and an A1AT mutation (SZ flavor because I'm a weirdo!)) and the SOB never formed properly in the first place. Had awful stomach aches and other problems as a kid but I just powered through until I eventually had a horrible flare up of pancreatitis, they CT'd me and went "OH WHAT THE SWEET gently caress". Then came the genetic testing and a bunch of other fun gaiden, sepsis, massive status epilepticus seizure, you know, the fun poo poo.

The Docs at Vandy GI did something that their football team never could and said "We just can't handle this poo poo". Got a referral to Mayo Clinic and after meeting with what I can only describe as basically the Rainbow Six of International GI Surgeons they're planning on taking out my dead pancreas, my smashed spleen, a third of my stomach and a bunch of the other collateral damage I've picked up over the years!

To bring it on topic, football keeps me and my family sane. Even if I'm in hospital or some crazy poo poo is going down, we can at least text back and forth on Saturday about some wild rear end upset or Pac 4 After Dark insanity. The Shutdown Fullcast is usually saved for the 45 minute back and forth drive to the Vandy Medical Center and has me laughing my rear end off even when I'm getting my rear end kicked. Gamble responsibly but also drat my picks seem to be better when I'm hooked up to the good stuff in hospital.

Harbs ain't wrong about the status quo not being acceptable/sustainable. This poo poo is going to fly off the rails even harder with this round of realignment.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

J33uk posted:

I'm okay at the moment! My pancreas is mostly dead due to exciting genetic complications (CFTR carrier and an A1AT mutation (SZ flavor because I'm a weirdo!)) and the SOB never formed properly in the first place. Had awful stomach aches and other problems as a kid but I just powered through until I eventually had a horrible flare up of pancreatitis, they CT'd me and went "OH WHAT THE SWEET gently caress". Then came the genetic testing and a bunch of other fun gaiden, sepsis, massive status epilepticus seizure, you know, the fun poo poo.

The Docs at Vandy GI did something that their football team never could and said "We just can't handle this poo poo". Got a referral to Mayo Clinic and after meeting with what I can only describe as basically the Rainbow Six of International GI Surgeons they're planning on taking out my dead pancreas, my smashed spleen, a third of my stomach and a bunch of the other collateral damage I've picked up over the years!

To bring it on topic, football keeps me and my family sane. Even if I'm in hospital or some crazy poo poo is going down, we can at least text back and forth on Saturday about some wild rear end upset or Pac 4 After Dark insanity. The Shutdown Fullcast is usually saved for the 45 minute back and forth drive to the Vandy Medical Center and has me laughing my rear end off even when I'm getting my rear end kicked. Gamble responsibly but also drat my picks seem to be better when I'm hooked up to the good stuff in hospital.

Harbs ain't wrong about the status quo not being acceptable/sustainable. This poo poo is going to fly off the rails even harder with this round of realignment.

My father-in-law had a neuroendocrine tumor that took out all but a little, itty bit of his pancreas about 13 years ago. He's insulin dependent now, but otherwise still his usual pain in the rear end self.

Although, now that I think about it, he had the GI Junior Varsity. He had a distal pancreatectomy and splenectomy, but when he went to the hospital for his initial screening they sent him home with educational stuff related to the whipple procedure (which I guess is about taking out the head, not tail, of said pancreas). The surgeon really seemed to know his stuff, but the rest of the hospital really screwed him up and left him in bad shape after two weeks. PLUS, he presented initially because he had gallstones, they found the tumor by accident, and they left those in for another couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

J33uk posted:

terrifying medical poo poo

Good god. I will be thinking of you and rooting for you.