Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Qubee posted:

But then if he does rise from the dead, you'll be spammed with annoying notifications, no?

Just make an engraved slab right away and they'll never rise.

I tend to have a stone mason keep a pile of slabs topped up so I always have a quick way to engrave memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Xinlum posted:

Does anyone mint coins? I've seen people say it's a great lightweight trade resource and others say not to bother, just make regular crafts.
Quite frankly, you only need to make trade stuff on purpose for the first few years. I eventually started using the traders as garbage men, buying out their cloth and selling them the old tattered clothing that the dwarves were discarding in favour of the new stuff my clothiers made from local and imported cloth. The traders were always delighted to receive ten to thirty times the value of their wares in my garbage.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nosre posted:

Dwarven morality: we do good deeds in order to avoid announcement spam

Only briefly. Through a bleeding vampire down the well. Everyone starts drinking vampire water and turns into vampires. Once everyone is a vampire you can let him out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Further Reading posted:

Just make an engraved slab right away and they'll never rise.

Do you put it on top of them or something?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

The Lone Badger posted:

Do you put it on top of them or something?

Think of it as a gravestone, you build it as a building in your graveyard area and it'll stop the ghost from happening

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think vampires can be killed through physical means so he's probably dead-dead. Just slap him in a tomb.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

A good trading tip is to always request clay from the Mountain Homes. It costs next to nothing, and buying it frees up a ton of weight so you can sell infinite garbage.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Man my framerate on Steam Deck went from 45 to 15 after opening the caverns. I'm hoping once I get the wall finished it will improve. I know I have a few open quarries I can block off.

Really hope I don't have to restart on a small sized world. I've played with 200 dwarves open to the public without opening the caverns in the past without dipping below 25ish fps. I'll try disabling temperature if that doesn't work.

What's everyone's go to for raising room value? I finally got around to properly set up encrusting my statues, and I've started to stud some things with silver. I don't know what to do with all the lead I have. The crafts and statues are very cheap and don't seem worth the weight considering they cost fuel to make. If nobody has suggestions I'll probably stockpile them until I get magma.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Xinlum posted:

What's everyone's go to for raising room value? I finally got around to properly set up encrusting my statues, and I've started to stud some things with silver. I don't know what to do with all the lead I have. The crafts and statues are very cheap and don't seem worth the weight considering they cost fuel to make. If nobody has suggestions I'll probably stockpile them until I get magma.

I usually do gold and platinum furniture items like statues. Making floors out of precious metal helps too, like paving the floor of a temple with silver or whatever

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Xinlum posted:

Man my framerate on Steam Deck went from 45 to 15 after opening the caverns. I'm hoping once I get the wall finished it will improve. I know I have a few open quarries I can block off.

Really hope I don't have to restart on a small sized world. I've played with 200 dwarves open to the public without opening the caverns in the past without dipping below 25ish fps. I'll try disabling temperature if that doesn't work.

Lead flooring for a drop trap shaft.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
without checking anything, I would assume lead hammers are good if you have an undead problem

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
They are very good, but lead isn’t a weapon grade material so the only way you are getting lead, gold or platinum hammers is via strange moods.

It’s probably k for bolts, at least against unarmoured targets, but for even copper armour iron, bronze or steel is probably better due to the shear values.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Bronze is pretty good for hammers iirc. I remember absolutely tearing poo poo up with a bronze maul in adventure mode, way back in the day.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

A little while ago I spent quite some time reading up on what people had gleaned over the years, and the gist I got was that for blunt weapons, you can disregard pretty much every material stat except density. So bronze and copper will be better than iron and steel, silver is even better and just a little bit behind lead, and finally platinum and gold is winning the lottery.

Softer and brittler metals wear out faster when they encounter harder and tougher materials, but that might not actually end up being a real issue with the weapons in question or metal weapons in general. If you are worried about that, bronze would definitely be a nice compromise, as it fares well against other metals and is still heavier than steel.

On the topic of lead, I try to never have any and instead process galena into electrum. Maybe that's a waste of gold ore, but I enjoy gaming the system too much. Plus electrum is really cool.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i think you're basically never gonna get a lead hammer because if you happen to catch your weaponsmith in a strange mood it seems crazy that you'd get him to grab a bunch of lead or platinum bars when he could grab steel or adamantine ones

edit: unless they fixed that or you can now pick what is being made as well as game the system to choose the material

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Verviticus posted:

i think you're basically never gonna get a lead hammer because if you happen to catch your weaponsmith in a strange mood it seems crazy that you'd get him to grab a bunch of lead or platinum bars when he could grab steel or adamantine ones

edit: unless they fixed that or you can now pick what is being made as well as game the system to choose the material

This was the first artifact in my latest fort. Sheer luck that a mood hit before I had steel going, and that I already had platinum lying around. They were so proud of that thing, they made a tribute to it later.

EDIT: Considering the trash they used for the tribute, I actually have no idea what material they'd pick if they had everything available.

Griddle of Love fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 12, 2023

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Verviticus posted:

Last time I played you could game it by looking at the dwarf's skills and preferences. A dwarf claims a metalsmith's forge: their best tradeskill is weaponsmithing and the one weapon they have a preference for is warhammers. You're gonna get a warhammer, forbid every bar that isn't platinum

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

IIRC if the moody dwarf doesn't have a specific metal requirement (usually caused by a material preference), they will always grab the nearest metal bar. Just having a separate steel stockpile that's closer to the forge than anything else will reliably cause all your artifacts to be made of steel, which is nifty for armor and all the edged weapons, and not that bad for the blunt ones.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

My saved games keep getting stuck at "Saving adventure data..." and it hangs. I'm forced to kill the process even after giving it a few hours to work things out. I tried a fresh install, new worlds, no mods, mods, and it just keeps happening. Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

how large are the worlds you're generating?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

how large are the worlds you're generating?

I'm seeing it on Medium worlds right now. Worth stepping down to small?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah if its on a new install just try a minimum amount of history generation on the smallest world to see if it does anything or not.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

yeah if its on a new install just try a minimum amount of history generation on the smallest world to see if it does anything or not.

Right, found out the issue!

On the smallest size and shortest history I had the hang except this time a Western Digital Hard Drive Ransomware Protection Utility (Acronis?) popped up and was like "Is Dwarf Fortress.exe not Ransomware?". Other than transferring a hard drive in the past I had no idea it was even still installed. I'm assuming on the very large worlds it would just hang while analyzing and I'd never get the pop up. Either way, I'll call this success. Thanks for the help!

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Is there something special about how stockpiles for bins and barrels work? I tried setting up a stockpile with these settings:

For some reason, by dwarves are not moving all my empty bins/barrels to this stockpile. I had a stockpile set up next to my carpenter where all of these were initially stored, but it was a bit of a walk from where my still/kitchen is, so I wanted to move some barrels a lot closer. My dwarves only carried one bin and one barrel to the new stockpile I set up. I've also deleted the original stockpile where the bins/barrels were stored, but they still won't move anymore barrels there. Would love it if someone could maybe help me figure out what's going on. I can post some more screenshots if it's helpful.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
If they're already stockpiled then they won't move them.

If that's the case you can mark the new stockpile to take from the old one.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

B B posted:

Is there something special about how stockpiles for bins and barrels work? I tried setting up a stockpile with these settings:

For some reason, by dwarves are not moving all my empty bins/barrels to this stockpile. I had a stockpile set up next to my carpenter where all of these were initially stored, but it was a bit of a walk from where my still/kitchen is, so I wanted to move some barrels a lot closer. My dwarves only carried one bin and one barrel to the new stockpile I set up. I've also deleted the original stockpile where the bins/barrels were stored, but they still won't move anymore barrels there. Would love it if someone could maybe help me figure out what's going on. I can post some more screenshots if it's helpful.
If I'm reading that right, you have permitted barrels and bins in this stockpile, but forbidden all materials they could possible be made out of, as well as any level of craftsmanship including neutral.. So the only items that are permitted in here are barrels and bins made out of no material, and no level of quality.

EDIT: The real question is why they moved the single barrel and bin to the stockpile in the first place.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 17, 2023

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Zereth posted:

If I'm reading that right, you have permitted barrels and bins in this stockpile, but forbidden all materials they could possible be made out of, as well as any level of craftsmanship including neutral.. So the only items that are permitted in here are barrels and bins made out of no material, and no level of quality.

EDIT: The real question is why they moved the single barrel and bin to the stockpile in the first place.

:laffo:

That was it. Thanks, I am an idiot/still learning my way around DF's menus. Really appreciate it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

B B posted:

:laffo:

That was it. Thanks, I am an idiot/still learning my way around DF's menus. Really appreciate it.

You should try also forbidding barrels made during the day or during the night, or made inside or outside. I bet that'd fix it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

You should try also forbidding barrels made during the day or during the night, or made inside or outside. I bet that'd fix it.

You know you're reading the DF thread when you stop and think "wait is that actually a thing?".

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

day/night filters arent working since the steam release unfortunately

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Zereth posted:

If they've set the stockpile up to use barrels/bins in the storage setting, then one of each will get hauled there regardless of material/item settings.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Popete posted:

You know you're reading the DF thread when you stop and think "wait is that actually a thing?".

It totally is. Source: Trust me.

Nettle Soup posted:

If they've set the stockpile up to use barrels/bins in the storage setting, then one of each will get hauled there regardless of material/item settings.
:hmmyes:

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

My heavily armored dwarves easily dispatched their first forgotten beast, a quadruped made up amber.

Unfortunately, the confusion in the aftermath led to a group of children being crushed by a drawbridge. Luckily, it was only the children, as the dwarves were busy having a post-victory wrestling match just a few feet away.

Lesson learned, don't make a drawbridge longer than 1 tile without more extreme safety measures.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Have crossed into the 'intermediate' stage of Dwarf Fortress. Latest thing that happened of note was dropping a drawbridge onto a passing gorilla by mistake. No blood, no bones. Just bridge where there once was gorilla.

Other gorillas have entered into my fortress and been caught in the cage traps so I trained them up to be war gorillas but they reverted back to wild state and freaked out the other animals in the pasture by fighting everything. My biggest regret was reverting back to a previous save state instead of embracing this, lessons learned each and every time I play, I guess.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ah yes the bridge atom smashers

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I hope a future update implements barding, and ideally animal riding. I want dwarven knights mounted on armoured war bears. I want war gorillas in gorilla full plate. I want to see the insane bug reports that pop up when the war gorillas start recursively riding each other and then get into a "mount panics and throws rider" feedback loop that somehow results in a gorilla becoming a drafted member of a militia squad

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Mount throws rider: seeking infant

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

My final migrant wave included a legendary siege operator so I decided to start really investing in defense to experiment with it. I built a 100 tile long death bridge with a ballista parked at the end behind fortifications.

Literally as I built the last block a flying, fire breathing slug decided to see what's up. 2 steel ballista arrows and the beast gets absolutely destroyed from 60 tiles away. I love this, definitely going to invest in siege equipment from now on.

Side note. I've decided to ban visitors from my tavern after a theft. At what point will bards quit bugging me to live here?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

havent posted here in a while but uhhh did they ever get around to fixing archery on the steam version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

hbag posted:

havent posted here in a while but uhhh did they ever get around to fixing archery on the steam version?

Like the ammunition & inventory issues? It's the top item on Putnam's major issues list, if I remember correctly. Right up there with performance improvements.