Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

There's also the possibility that Alden is just inherently something of a Special Boy, given that he resisted Hannah's stasis back in his childhood. Unless there was an explanation for that somewhere that I missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Haystack posted:

There's also the possibility that Alden is just inherently something of a Special Boy, given that he resisted Hannah's stasis back in his childhood. Unless there was an explanation for that somewhere that I missed.

No explanation as yet. But it's rather strongly suggested Alden isn't special. If he was, he wouldn't have affixed as a B, but as a special S or at least an A.

Unless...

Unless Gorgon sacrificed the majority of Alden's authority to improve it's quality. Since the way Gorgon's people use authority is by sacrificing it and Gorgon didn't sacrifice any of his authority or life like Gorgon's people usually do, doesn't seem totally impossible to me. We even know it's possible to do that because that's what Kibby wanted and Alden could tell that there wasn't enough Authority to do it. Crucially, Alden didn't think it was impossible, just that Kibby didn't have enough Authority.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Cicero posted:

Great Thresholder chapter (79) today discussing the ethics of shooting a baby. Honestly if one comes through a portal, I say go hog wild, but it looks like Perry might be opposed.

Marchand is the best character in Thresholder. I also love Perry's repeated attempts to convince March that magic is real.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Haystack posted:

There was! At least a suggestion of one from Hannah herself.

Six: Gorgon posted:

Alden shrugged. He knew it was a long shot. Hannah wasn’t a scientist who studied power acquisition. She’d just mentioned in passing, one single time when he was thirteen, that she’d used her Bubble of Patient Waiting on hundreds of people and animals, trying to refine her understanding of the spell.

“And only three people other than you were conscious inside it!” she’d announced.

They’d been standing in line to buy tickets to a martial arts showcase that day. Hannah always planned some kind of activity for their annual summer meet-up on the island.

“All of them were kids of superhumans. Weird, isn’t it? My best guess is you’ve got abnormally high CP. Not like we can measure it. But in theory that means you’re more likely than average to be granted powers of your own one day. Don’t count on it, though.”

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, like mentioned in the part Nitrousoxide quoted, it's not really a *huge* deal, and Hannah was even able to find a couple other people who could resist her stasis.

I kinda hope it's just a coincidence.

edit: Just read Skill Thief 33. I'm incredibly curious about where this is going. Not a lot specific to say, but it's just great as always. I suspect that Eric stole Adam's painting with the specific goal of getting to go to the Painted World, rather than out of artistic jealousy or desire for the monetary reward. I also think Eric is semi-genuine in wanting to get along with Adam, but in a superficial way where it needs to be on his terms. I think he probably actually half-believes the lie that he partly did what he did "to protect Adam."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 7, 2023

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm a big fan of using future knowledge to your advantage but I'm thinking Re: Trailer Trash talking about EV training and the Pokemon meta at length is maybe a bit too much

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Argue posted:

I'm a big fan of using future knowledge to your advantage but I'm thinking Re: Trailer Trash talking about EV training and the Pokemon meta at length is maybe a bit too much

lol

Is this the same story where Evanescence is a big deal still or was that another one?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Argue posted:

https://countercraft.substack.com/p/your-novel-should-be-more-like-moby

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fajita Queen posted:

lol

Is this the same story where Evanescence is a big deal still or was that another one?
this is that one yes

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, like mentioned in the part Nitrousoxide quoted, it's not really a *huge* deal, and Hannah was even able to find a couple other people who could resist her stasis.

I kinda hope it's just a coincidence.

We know that Alden is a special boy in that he's avowed. Being selected by the system is extremely unlikely. The other people Hannah found who were conscious in her bubble were kids of Avowed, right? I think the implication is that the Alden specialness which kept him awake is the specialness that led to him being selected as Avowed. I don't think he has any other inborn super special traits.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Alden's had a few encounters that have made him progressively more of a Special Boy

His encounter with Body Drainer which may or may not have had any impact on him from a magical perspective early on - Body Drainer was presumably stealing people's authority, like a reverse Gorgon, so who knows what happened with all that stolen authority when he died.
Gorgon's Gift
His affixation with one of the original 300 avowed skills.
Extended exposure to low-level chaos and kinder-wizard training from Kibby.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 7, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
For sure. Crucially, he has more and more ownership of those subsequent events. He chose to treat Gorgon with kindness and generosity. He chose to trust Gorgon's skill selection advice. He chose to be on that moon, and he saved Kibby.

I think the story strikes a satisfying balance between chance and the impact of the character's choices.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Fajita Queen posted:

lol

Today's chapter also goes more into how big Evanescence is gonna be

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wittgen posted:

We know that Alden is a special boy in that he's avowed. Being selected by the system is extremely unlikely. The other people Hannah found who were conscious in her bubble were kids of Avowed, right? I think the implication is that the Alden specialness which kept him awake is the specialness that led to him being selected as Avowed. I don't think he has any other inborn super special traits.

Yeah, he's that kind of special, but not inherently "special" in the way that usually makes someone special in a progression web serial. I also just interpreted it as "a thing that's common in people who go on to become Avowed."

Nitrousoxide posted:

Alden's had a few encounters that have made him progressively more of a Special Boy

His encounter with Body Drainer which may or may not have had any impact on him from a magical perspective early on - Body Drainer was presumably stealing people's authority, like a reverse Gorgon, so who knows what happened with all that stolen authority when he died.

I guess one possibility is that Alden was able to become Avowed partly due to something happening with the Body Drainer incident that jacked up his authority. But that just seems kind of unnecessary since "random people become Avowed" is still a thing that happens in this setting.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Argue posted:

Today's chapter also goes more into how big Evanescence is gonna be

:allears:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the evanescence thing is turning out to be actually plot-relevant as a way to prove the reality of the time travel i think so i can forgive it

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Evanescence makes such good music that even a 14-year-old with no musical training singing their song is a transcendental experience.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Tagichatn posted:

Evanescence makes such good music that even a 14-year-old with no musical training singing their song is a transcendental experience.

Lol, Trailer Trash is so good/stupid

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

it's true

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can someone tell me which Practical Guide is which?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

Can someone tell me which Practical Guide is which?

Practical Guide to Sorcery is the magic school one. Practical Guide to Evil is the heroine becomes apprentice to the Black Knight epic scope one. Both are good. Sorcery should be getting book four in a month or two.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Velius posted:

Practical Guide to Sorcery is the magic school one. Practical Guide to Evil is the heroine becomes apprentice to the Black Knight epic scope one. Both are good. Sorcery should be getting book four in a month or two.

I disagree that these two stories are on the same level. Evil is far better though it suffers from lots of spelling and grammar issues, and Sorcery is okay with one of the dumbest/luckiest protagonists I have seen in fiction.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I've finished A Practical Guide to Evil and it's fantastic. An absolute A+ read.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Thanks to everyone for the SupSup magic breakdown. It actually really helped and answered some questions. I might go and re-read the Moon Thegund bits to when he gets back to Earth to see if it really clicks.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Digging up an old post from this thread.

7c Nickel posted:

Wasn't there a thing where people made fun of a webserial using Evanescence as their example of incredible timeless music?

WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1561719517272690688

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

navyjack posted:

Thanks to everyone for the SupSup magic breakdown. It actually really helped and answered some questions. I might go and re-read the Moon Thegund bits to when he gets back to Earth to see if it really clicks.

The big, "This is how it works" chapters are Joe's lesson right before Alden gets stranded on Thegund and then the chat with Mother afterwards.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Player Manager continues to be very good and fun reading.

Do I think max is a fully sympathetic character? Not really.

Is he a Mary Sue? A bit.

But it's fast paced and the dialogue is fun and it's good. You should all read it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Both Max's extravagant wankery and his Mary Sue-ness work because you can tell the author is very aware and intentional with both.

Yes, Max is a bit of a wanker, that's on purpose, you're supposed to think he is a flawed lad with personality issues*, everyone calls him out on it every other chapter; yes, he's a Mary Sue who gets to be extra all the time and get away it, that's the other side of the coin.

* as contrasted by HHFWM, where the MC acts in a very similar manner, but it reads like you're supposed to just go "oh yeah, this is so cool, this is how cool dudes do things" and it's cringe

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I feel like Thresholder’s author likes to put the protagonist in the way of poeple with godlike abilities, seemingly just to reinforce how small a fish they still are and how little agency they have, especially after a bunch of powerup chapters. It feels really mean spirited in a wildbow sort of way. Since there’s no rhyme or reason to the power in the threshold worlds it just feels really deliberate in this story.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
i resubscribed to super supportive patreon, mostly cos I ran out of everything else to read.
it reads much better in bulk than as a serial, for me at least, because if you've got more chapters to read then it doesnt matter that nothing really happens in this one so I find it easier to sit back and enjoy the prose. I enjoy it a lot more this way.
also, (very very mild patreon spoilers) there are 28k words in lute's flashbacks (approx, excluding most of the current day alden commentary). It took alden 29k words to get to the same point.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've finished A Practical Guide to Evil and it's fantastic. An absolute A+ read.

I'm at 92% of Volume 7 and kind of making GBS threads myself about finding something to read next. I definitely would have bought these as 7 novels if it was available in paperback.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Oh yeah, while we were recommending stuff, The Gods are Bastards is on RR now and seems to be updating again. Good if you're looking for something long to read after Worm or TWI.

I'm up to book 2 on TWI now, the rewrite seems good, if still a little rough at the start.

Poor Toren, and they put a Flos chapter early on now which I don't know why I hated so much, maybe just due to association with how sluggish they get later.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Aware posted:

I'm at 92% of Volume 7 and kind of making GBS threads myself about finding something to read next. I definitely would have bought these as 7 novels if it was available in paperback.

If you're looking for something big to read, and haven't read The Wandering Inn yet, that will keep you busy for quite a while.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fajita Queen posted:

If you're looking for something big to read, and haven't read The Wandering Inn yet, that will keep you busy for quite a while.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Fajita Queen posted:

TWI is bad though.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Since when has that stopped any of us?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nothingtoseehere posted:

TWI is bad though.

Compared to what?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I found most of the viewpoint characters in Gods are Bastards to be either unlikeable or uninteresting.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Finally finished First Contact and oh no, the story continues in dark ages. More reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

LLSix posted:

I found most of the viewpoint characters in Gods are Bastards to be either unlikeable or uninteresting.

That just sounds like pro-Gods propaganda to me.