Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Russians have recently been given the honor of paying the equivalent of about $20k for a Peugeot 405 in the form of the Iran Khodro Dena.

Also built in Iran, the Saipa Saina, based on the Kia Pride which was the Korean version of the first gen Ford Festiva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Also built in Iran, the Saipa Saina, based on the Kia Pride which was the Korean version of the first gen Ford Festiva.

But they get it in truck form! TRUCK FORM!!!

More bed room than a Cybertrukk! A manual transmission! BP turbo swap potential!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fknlo posted:

I saw someone somewhere say that physical controls would return and be a thing in luxury cars while poor people cars would continue to be full of lovely touch screens for cost cutting and that person is going to be right.

I've said that but I'm expecting the luxury market to go for an expensive mechanical watch type angle rather than these ancient, relatively low budget controls but I'll take it tbh... :v:

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Aptera keeps getting closer and closer to launch if you want something lightweight and three wheeled.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This is obviously going to be spendy but man, it's just all it really needs to be even though I hate big stuff.

https://twitter.com/herrmanndigital/status/1732635775697899622?t=sgZS7ATbLJrqUF1S8B0Qjw&s=19

Those interior 80s control are perfection!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

fknlo posted:

I saw someone somewhere say that physical controls would return and be a thing in luxury cars while poor people cars would continue to be full of lovely touch screens for cost cutting and that person is going to be right.

This rings so true and it gives me chest pains.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Gangringo posted:

Aptera keeps getting closer and closer to launch if you want something lightweight and three wheeled.

Aptera will continue to get closer and closer to launch until they finally go bankrupt or I die of old age, whichever comes first

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

harperdc posted:

Literally everyone. Pakistan seems to be another place those older models go to, along with Africa.

No kidding eh? Seems like it'd be a good source for fresh body panels.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Gangringo posted:

Comrade…. :lol:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Zeno's Aptera's Paradox

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Maybe I'm foolish but I think Aptera will actually make it to production this time. They have the tooling built for the production vehicle. As long as crash testing doesn't reveal it to be a death trap I'm considering getting one.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
cybertruck would squarsh the aptera and not even notice until its rear wheels fell off shortly after

https://i.imgur.com/xHx6DCC.gifv

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 8, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Why's the Cybertruck subjected to a different test there?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I assume they haven't actually given a cybertruck to iihs/nhtsa yet

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sab669 posted:

The cybertruck is going to kill so many people.

Like a truckload of tech bros doing 130mph in a deli-slicer on wheels. Pure carnage.

Hose off the outside. Hose out the inside. Stainless steel behbyyyyyyy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sab669 posted:

It's just Teslas own full overlap test.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing I notice about Tesla's test there is the wall is much higher which I think would affect results as those A-Pillars would ride up over the wall the other trucks tested with.

The other tests are also all offset crashes, not full frontal. You can see the other side of the front of the truck continue on behind the barrier and you can see the truck rotate to that side. So these are not apple to apple test results, any vehicle is going to do better on a full frontal rather than an offset.

Here's the full youtube video of the Gladator test. It's a moderate offset crash. 100% not the same test that's being done on the cybertruck and much more difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alSptBhJ4KI

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 8, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BuckyDoneGun posted:

To give you an idea on pricing, I can walk out today and pick this up:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/toyota/land-cruiser/listing/4454947647

4.5 V8 Diesel manual, last of the non-facelift version.

NZ$108,000 inc 15% GST = US$66,600

That would sell about 100 units a year in the US at that price.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Coming soon to a South American market near you (and Algeria).

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

davecrazy posted:

Aka the Peugeot Landtrek aka the Kaicene F70.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I think you mean the new Ram D50.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I think you mean the new Ram D50.

Does it come in Froot?

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 9, 2023

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

That would sell about 100 units a year in the US at that price.

yes, but those 100 owners would be very happy

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I'm sure there's more than 100 retro weirdos in the States.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

a good number are on this forum.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I sold 25+ year old Land Cruisers from Japan, RHD, to weirdos here in the USA for 30k+ a pop with plenty of miles on them. My wife and I are directly responsible for 10 first gen Prados ourselves, I could easily sell 100 of these brand new ones for 70k, give me the UAE ones (the one in that tweet is a middle eastern Cruiser in China) so it's LHD and it would be easy enough.

As long as I get to keep one for myself. :colbert:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Saw this posted today, BMW is making a 6 speed version of the Z4 m40i for the US, not using the one from the Supra. https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/12/11/bmw-z4-m40i-six-speed-manual-review/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How is the 2.0 turbo Fiat motor? I keep seeing reviews saying it's better in Jeep Wranglers than the V6 in every way

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Applebees Appetizer posted:

How is the 2.0 turbo Fiat motor? I keep seeing reviews saying it's better in Jeep Wranglers than the V6 in every way

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCA_Global_Medium_Engine

It's what makes most of alfa and Maserati low end variants tick. Not going to make your heart flutter but it's a solid workhorse.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

phosdex posted:

Saw this posted today, BMW is making a 6 speed version of the Z4 m40i for the US, not using the one from the Supra. https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/12/11/bmw-z4-m40i-six-speed-manual-review/

Its the same transmission just uses different linkages/bushings.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

davecrazy posted:

Mods, please change my username to TITANO VOLCANO.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

phosdex posted:

This is loving awesome. I assumed BMW just gave up on the Z4 and what we got is what all it was ever going to be.
I know its a ton more expensive, but Ive spent some long nights weighing in on the Miata vs the Z4 if I ever went about spending some money on a weekend car.
Would love the B58 in manual with Thundernight Metallic Purple. :kiss:

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 11, 2023

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You say that but GAH!

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

phosdex posted:

This sounds pretty awesome but once we get to a $70k base price I start asking myself why not a Boxster at that point.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

crackhaed posted:

This sounds pretty awesome but once we get to a $70k base price I start asking myself why not a Boxster at that point.

Because to get comparable power you are paying about $100k for a GTS boxster.

The Z4 is a nice driving and comfortable to be in sports car. The B58 rips and is very moddable.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

kill me now posted:

Because to get comparable power you are paying about $100k for a GTS boxster.

The Z4 is a nice driving and comfortable to be in sports car. The B58 rips and is very moddable.
Who said I need comparable power? I'd take the hit for mid-engine.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I keep hearing about the Boxster manual being geared way too tall. If I wanted the fun of a manual in an expensive car, I'd test drive this thing.

Probably rather have a Miata and a lot of money, though.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I keep hearing about the Boxster manual being geared way too tall. If I wanted the fun of a manual in an expensive car, I'd test drive this thing.
That's just a general Porsche thing, they're actually geared to make the lower gears useful for track/performance driving.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Probably rather have a Miata and a lot of money, though.
Yeah I keep coming back to this.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

crackhaed posted:

That's just a general Porsche thing, they're actually geared to make the lower gears useful for track/performance driving.

The real reason for the long gearing was to clear California drive-by noise regulations, which was done at wide-open throttle in 3rd gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Godzilla07 posted:

The real reason for the long gearing was to clear California drive-by noise regulations, which was done at wide-open throttle in 3rd gear
That whole debacle was specific to the 911 GT3 and it was because the CHP was in charge of the testing and used an outdated test at the time, which Porsche did not plan for because CA should have been onto a newer testing method. No gearing was changed to pass any sort of noise tests for the GT3 and that certainly had nothing to do with the gearing of any model of 718.