Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Sen's Fortress got nothing on early 1980-1990 games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDmJNcYLbuQ&t=80s

Spikes that you literally can't see until you jump down a screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

that game really looks like a piece of poo poo

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The only thing that was truly trial and error in Sen's Fortress was the mimic. But it was also loving hilarious so it gets a pass.

The Indiana Jones boulders were fine, except for the fact that they still knocked you on your rear end if you touched them from behind, sorry but that's just bullshit.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ymgve posted:

Spikes that you literally can't see until you jump down a screen

Haha, yeah spikes/enemies that you couldn't see and were impossible to avoid once you could, were a big staple of platforms and some side scrollers. Just the 100% BS you pretty much expected back in the day.

Civv11 mentions it a lot in the biomence review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8RG9uHrvgQ

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Unpopular opinion #8781: 3rd Person Character Action games (i.e. Dark Souls, MGR: Revengeance) control better with mouse and keyboard. You have to have full control of your camera.

Vic fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 8, 2023

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Vic posted:

Unpopular opinion #8781: 3rd Person Character Action games (i.e. Dark Souls, MGR: Revengeane) control better with mouse and keyboard. You have to have full control of your camera.

that reminds me of one of my unpopular opinions that came up recently. I've been playing Baldur's Gate 3 splitscreen at a friend's place, on controller (which i agree is inferior to m+kb).

In BG3 and in most 3rd person games, the mouse/right stick controls the camera only, and does not move the character at all. So what should happen when you press left on the right stick/move the mouse left? The default behavior in these games is that it causes the camera to move to the right, and since it is constantly pointing towards the character, that causes the camera to rotate left. My brain cannot handle this. In my mind, the translational movement of the camera is the "primary" movement, and the rotation is a secondary consequence. In other words, the way my brain works, pressing left should move the camera left, which will also cause it to rotate to the right. The further the camera is from the player character, the worse it is for me to try and wrap my brain around the default behavior - and in BG3, the camera is very far away from the character, so I was Not Having It. The other three people in the room assured me that I was absolutely crazy for feeling this way.

Most 3rd person games have an option in the menu for weirdos like me to invert the axes, but BG3 does not. I played that way for like half an hour before I got too frustrated - it felt like every single time I touched the right stick, I pushed it the wrong way, even when I was trying really hard to think about it. I did a lot of Zoolander-style 270-degree turns. My friend was able to figure out a way to invert the axis through steam, fortunately.

Incidentally, this opinion of mine also applies to the vertical axis, and I also invert the vertical axis in first person games. (Except In BG3, the vertical axis is loving weird - up and down zoom in/out and also slightly rotate it, idk, it's terrible and i wish it had a normal-rear end camera)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

that game really looks like a piece of poo poo
and it still cost so much money. I grew up relatively poor but imagine being a kid flexing by getting the hottest new game and it's that.

Item Getter posted:

Look up Unicorn Overlord by Vanillaware/Atlus, it was announced a while ago and looks a lot like Ogre Battle.
Yeah I mentioned it earlier in the thread. It looks good except they're centering all the anime bullshit I couldn't care less about.

Private Cumshoe posted:

Remaster FF8 and make it even more stupid please
:hmmyes:

Final Fantasy games all feel like there's a good plot in there somewhere, but they have no loving clue on how to write or tell a proper story.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Vic posted:

Unpopular opinion #8781: 3rd Person Character Action games (i.e. Dark Souls, MGR: Revengeance) control better with mouse and keyboard. You have to have full control of your camera.

this poo poo is totally crazy. Click click click to attack is insanely unsatisfy compared to thumb pressing or trigger pulling.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve moved from M+KB over the last five or six years. For a while I just did controllers for action and racing games but now I use them for basically everything that isn’t an RTS/entirely controlled by clicking. I think a big part of that is just ergonomics, I haven’t found a desk where I can get M+KB to play nice with my collected elbow/wrist/shoulder injuries.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The only games you should be using a mouse and keyboard for are mobas

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve moved from M+KB over the last five or six years. For a while I just did controllers for action and racing games but now I use them for basically everything that isn’t an RTS/entirely controlled by clicking. I think a big part of that is just ergonomics, I haven’t found a desk where I can get M+KB to play nice with my collected elbow/wrist/shoulder injuries.

This is true, controllers are more comfortable, but if I want precision there's nothing like it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I find it important to kick back and relax while I play games and keyboards aren't conducive for that, they are only useful for gamers who want to lean over and be tryhards and get mad. A big reason pc gamers like keyboards is so they can be abusive over chat messages much more easily.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

That's like saying being in a wheelchair is more comfortable because you get to sit while moving.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

very good point, i take it all back

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

It is kinda messed up that keyboard and mouse lets you be precise with looking but not with moving, and controller lets you be precise with moving but not with looking. There should be a way that lets you be precise with both at the same time!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

There was some kind of controller that had a big touch all off the side that was supposed to do that

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I used to work with a guy who asked people to call him Spider-Man and he was obsessed with Spider Man and had Spider Man merch all over his desk and sometimes would stand on his desk and leap around the office yelling about how he's Spiderman and even he was cooler than Batman fans

He does sound pretty cool, but he's also got no one to blame but himself when another coworker calls himself the Green Goblin and throws his girlfriend off of a bridge.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Put a joystick on top of the mouse. I will patent and this and make a fortune

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Like the nipple on a laptop?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They should just make some "gaming" psychedelics that let you think you're controlling the game with your mind.

I will patent and this and make a fortune

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A gaming chair, but it has a joystick built into the armrest and it's also a toilet.

I will patent and this and make a fortune

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Using a keyboard for games instead of a controller is like using a typewriter instead of a steering wheel to drive a car.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

I find it important to kick back and relax while I play games and keyboards aren't conducive for that, they are only useful for gamers who want to lean over and be tryhards and get mad. A big reason pc gamers like keyboards is so they can be abusive over chat messages much more easily.

I use a lapboard, but to the second part yeah true

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This debate will end one day as these inadequate peripherals are replaced by vats of orange fluid we suspend ourselves in for true web surfing and videogame immersion

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can lean back and relax while using a keyboard as long as you're not the kind of person who has to look at the keys while you type

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Whether you use mouse + keyboard or the noob sticks depends really on whether or not you're a widdle baby poo poo

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Using keyboard and mouse automatically sets a game to easy cheater babby mode. Always makes me think of how kids used to go right up to the tv to shoot ducks in duck hunt.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

credburn posted:

Whether you use mouse + keyboard or the noob sticks depends really on whether or not you're a widdle baby poo poo

I'm a little baby poo poo. I prefer controller

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Widdle babby poo poo idiot here who prefers controller on PC :stare:

but only for FPS and action games, I'm not using a controller to play Slay The Spire or Conquest of Elysium 5 or Kerbal Space program*

*If/when KSP 2 gets parity with KSP 1 i will be extraordinarily tempted to build an arduino controller setup

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

Widdle babby poo poo idiot here who prefers controller on PC :stare:

but only for FPS and action games, I'm not using a controller to play Slay The Spire or Conquest of Elysium 5 or Kerbal Space program*

*If/when KSP 2 gets parity with KSP 1 i will be extraordinarily tempted to build an arduino controller setup

I normally only play action games. Batman, Spiderman, What's his name from Uncharted. It's how I have fun. Being more athletic than I could ever be

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Using a keyboard for games instead of a controller is like using a typewriter instead of a steering wheel to drive a car.

run on sentience posted:

Using keyboard and mouse automatically sets a game to easy cheater babby mode. Always makes me think of how kids used to go right up to the tv to shoot ducks in duck hunt.

lmao I love the incongruity between these two posts

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Use a DDR dance pad so gaming counts as dancing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

run on sentience posted:

If you play a game without two broken arms and a brain injury, youre a fuckin noob

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

run on sentience posted:

lol game makers know controllers suck so much they just pretend people hit what they were shooting at if the cursors anywhere in the right 1/4 of the screen. As head of sony's "do what ever random bullshit you have to to make people think controllers aren't just utterly useless for FPS games" department -(sonys larger department with 76 500 employees in it, roughly half of all employees.) I can tell you controllers just down right suck for FPS games and I've lost far many good employees, had to comfort far to many grieving widows and orphaned children, to pretend otherwise.

also side note, those old cheap games where if a finger even light skimmed the esc key at any time, the game would just immediately close before you could even comprehend what was going on. No warnings, Press Y to Quite, Do you want to save windows, just gone in an blink.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

lol game makers know controllers suck so much they just pretend people hit what they were shooting at if the cursors anywhere in the right 1/4 of the screen. As head of sony's "do what ever random bullshit you have to to make people think controllers aren't just utterly useless for FPS games" department -(sonys larger department with 76 500 employees in it, roughly half of all employees.) I can tell you controllers just down right suck for FPS games and I've lost far many good employees, had to comfort far to many grieving widows and orphaned children, to pretend otherwise.

also side note, those old cheap games where if a finger even light skimmed the esc key at any time, the game would just immediately close before you could even comprehend what was going on. No warnings, Press Y to Quite, Do you want to save windows, just gone in an blink.

sure, but like 80 % of people play on console

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

sure, but like 80 % of people play on console

Yeah, we did a lot of research on that. Apparently that goes back to celestial punishment for original sin. Think we published the research in some theology journal or other.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
An input device and game design working together to let the player do what they are wanting and trying to do doesn't sound like a problem.

It can diminish the value of practicing being a human aimbot with a mouse but I think most people playing shoot gun games just want to shoot the guns at the stuff.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, we did a lot of research on that. Apparently that goes back to celestial punishment for original sin. Think we published the research in some theology journal or other.

Bill Gates has alot to answer for

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

QuarkJets posted:

lmao I love the incongruity between these two posts

Think it’s cause I’m talking more about the “typing device” aspect while he’s more talking about the mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the typing is secondary, its so that pc gamers can more easily type n words in multiplayer games