Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

If you don't want to do headphones + mic, I once again recommend the Sennheiser Pc38x, good microphone, sound pretty great. Only thing is, they leave a lot of excess budget so not sure if you could find a way to spend the rest of that.

I’ll second these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DildenAnders posted:

If you don't want to do headphones + mic, I once again recommend the Sennheiser Pc38x, good microphone, sound pretty great. Only thing is, they leave a lot of excess budget so not sure if you could find a way to spend the rest of that.

Yeah unless you need closed back, this is the go-to.

Anyone know where I can get just the brown ety filters without spending 30 bux on the whole kit?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Rakeris posted:

I wonder, is modmic listed in Windows has a headset or just a mic, as I kind of forgot about it. (Work doesn't allow standalone mics or wireless.)

Just a mic. That's literally all it is. It plugs into the mic jack of your PC. If you have only a headset jack instead of separate headphone and mic jacks, you will need a male TRRS to female mic/headphone splitter.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I actually bought the BT beats flex recommended a few pages ago for use with my steam deck and laptop. It works great though I don't play competitive or rhythm games. My cats like to sit next to me while I play and they were occasionally trying to eat the headphone cord of the FH3 I had plugged in. I wanted some kind of cord so I could pull them out and leave them attached as I kept losing my totally wireless earbuds when I'd do that, but not enough cord to be tempting to the cats. The beats are working great and I actually don't notice much quality difference from the fh3 for my usage (I am old with tinnitus so that may just be me). Not gonna try to use them for multiplayer though.

How are you finding the fit? I still can't decide if they actually fit well or not. I have literally the same eartips as my old ones and unless I really jam them in it doesn't feel like a good seal.

toothdevil
May 14, 2023
Just ordered a wireless modmic for my friend, dunno how I could live without mine. Of course it is crazy expensive but I don't know of any alternatives.

AEMINAL posted:

I don't mind if a proper fix looks ugly (as you can see from my McGyvered bluetooth headphones i cobbled together out of desperation once):

lmfao I love this.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

How are you finding the fit? I still can't decide if they actually fit well or not. I have literally the same eartips as my old ones and unless I really jam them in it doesn't feel like a good seal.

They are comfortable to me, but I also don't like it when earbuds have a very aggressive seal because I don't ride public transit or anything so don't need noise cancelling. They sit in the ears comfortably without falling out with an acceptable sound quality :shrug:

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I'm looking for a good pair of wireless earbuds. It seems like the B&W Pi7 S2s are the only ones available with multiple drivers. Are multiple drivers that useful, or more of a gimmick for BT earbuds? I already have a pair of Beats Studio Buds, which are ok, plus a pair of Beats flex which I use for listening to podcasts while exercising. Will the B&W be that much of an upgrade over the Beats Studio Buds, or any of the other BT earbud offerings around that price point <$400 from Sony, Sennheiser etc.? I'm also willing to consider over ear Bluetooth wireless headphones at the same price point if the audio quality would be better. My use case is watching movies and TV shows on my android phone; I already have a pair of Sennheiser wireless over ears for my desktop setup, although I haven't used them much since I bought a pair of Vanatoo 0s and an SVS PB-1000.

I'm also open to any other kind of wireless solution, if any exists.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

AvesPKS posted:

I'm looking for a good pair of wireless earbuds. It seems like the B&W Pi7 S2s are the only ones available with multiple drivers. Are multiple drivers that useful, or more of a gimmick for BT earbuds?

No, tuning has nothing to do with number of drivers. It's arguable whether they're a gimmick even for wired iems. What do you not like about your current sets?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone used any kind of bone conducting headphones for gaming? I was thinking about if there was something better for when I play games sitting next to my wife on the deck. Since she has her own game going on the tv and we talk I usually just keep a single earbud in, but the bone conducting looked like an interesting option for keeping my ears open. The audio from my nreal air glasses actually worked really well for this, but they've had some issues so I haven't been using them as much (I think it works similar to some bone conducting where it was just a tiny speaker pointed at my ears).

I have an open air headset for my desktop pc for similar reasons, but I don't want to wear big headphones on the couch and at least on those (epos 38x) I have to keep the volume pretty low to hear anyone. I dunno if the bone conducting do a better job of letting room sound in.

I don't really care about latency or microphones since I don't do anything where that matters on the deck so just decent boomy normal game sound. I also bought an iphone so now the beats flex is mostly used for it instead of the deck and it doesn't switch devices very well so I'm back to trying to keep my cats away from FH3 earbuds.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No, tuning has nothing to do with number of drivers. It's arguable whether they're a gimmick even for wired iems. What do you not like about your current sets?

I don't really have any major complaints, but I'm stuck watching everything on my phone for awhile, and just wanted to upgrade the audio portion of the experience, if possible.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FuzzySlippers posted:

Anyone used any kind of bone conducting headphones for gaming? I was thinking about if there was something better for when I play games sitting next to my wife on the deck. Since she has her own game going on the tv and we talk I usually just keep a single earbud in, but the bone conducting looked like an interesting option for keeping my ears open. The audio from my nreal air glasses actually worked really well for this, but they've had some issues so I haven't been using them as much (I think it works similar to some bone conducting where it was just a tiny speaker pointed at my ears

Consider koss portapros or kph40 or ksc75. They're all effectively open back, cheap and sound great. Bone conduction is neat but it's really best for podcasts or swimming imo, the sound quality isn't there.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

AvesPKS posted:

I don't really have any major complaints, but I'm stuck watching everything on my phone for awhile, and just wanted to upgrade the audio portion of the experience, if possible.

I think sony xm4 or galaxy buds would probably sound better than what you have, but wired is where you would see a massive upgrade. letshouer s12 for example beats any tws I've ever heard and is a third the price of the sonys

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Consider koss portapros or kph40 or ksc75. They're all effectively open back, cheap and sound great. Bone conduction is neat but it's really best for podcasts or swimming imo, the sound quality isn't there.

I actually might have some very old portapros somewhere around here though I was looking for wireless so my cats stop loving with the cord. I do see they have a bluetooth version now.

edit: I guess the transparency mode on airpod pros offer what I'm looking for but drat they are expensive and it seems like only the pro have it

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 8, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I actually might have some very old portapros somewhere around here though I was looking for wireless so my cats stop loving with the cord. I do see they have a bluetooth version now.

edit: I guess the transparency mode on airpod pros offer what I'm looking for but drat they are expensive and it seems like only the pro have it

These also have transparency mode

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/geek-s...p?skuId=6490268

For what it’s worth I’ve actually stopped using my AirPod pros at the gym because the beats fit just have a much better fit in the ear.

I bought the ones from that link there and I was still able to add the $29 Apple care for headphones to them.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
try the moondrop space travel. i'm genuinely impressed with the tuning and they have gaming and transparency modes. also theyre $25 lmao

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
quote isn't edit

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

try the moondrop space travel. i'm genuinely impressed with the tuning and they have gaming and transparency modes. also theyre $25 lmao

Yeah these actually.

My suggestion was more if you were already in the Apple ecosystem and the headphones would pull double duty.

You probably dont have an OLED deck but they said they greatly reduced BT latency with the new revision.

I might have to get these for my deck gaming and see how they fair.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I literally just got those a few days ago, and yeah, I am pleasantly surprised by how they sound for the price.

I had been mulling over getting something TWS for awhile, as I had misplaced my JLab Epic Air ANCs ages ago, and only recently found them and of course the batteries were completely dead as gently caress with no way of reviving them (the case itself had a swollen battery).

I was considering getting the Fiio FW5 TWS because I like my Fiio FHE iems, or the Fiio UTWS5 so I can use one of my other pairs of iems, but I'm a little gunshy on spending over $100+ on something with a battery that will eventually eat poo poo that I can't easily replace without possibly completely breaking it.

Since I have a bunch of Moondrop stuff already, I decided to give the Space Travel a shot because of the price, and I'm glad I did, and I won't feel bad if they get hosed up. I just wished they were $25 even and not $24.99 on Amazon so they would qualify for free overnight/same day Prime Shipping without having to pad the cart.

I'm still considering the Fiio UTWS5 though just to scratch the TWS itch without really committing (because otherwise I'd just get a custom TWS iem from ADV-sound since they have my ear scans on file already).

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think sony xm4 or galaxy buds would probably sound better than what you have, but wired is where you would see a massive upgrade. letshouer s12 for example beats any tws I've ever heard and is a third the price of the sonys

I really appreciate it. Wired just isn't ideal for this use case as I like to be able to walk around while using these, but I appreciate that wireless is going to be a limiting factor here. Does anyone have any experience with/comparing the Sennheiser TW3 with the Sony xm4/5 or Galaxy buds? Reviews of the Sennheisers praise the sound but condemn the longevity and build quality, so I'm a little skeptical although I've been using wireless over ear Sennheisers since like 2008 and like the brand. I'm probably leaning toward the Sonys at this point since I don't see any major complaints about build quality.

I'm also confused (Caveman lawyerishly) by the price difference between the Galaxy buds and Sony xm5/Sennheiser.

My whole issue with Bose has always been that, besides being a marketing company, they seem to be obsessed with getting the best full range performance out of a single driver, which physics says is dreadful for speaker performance, but may seem to actually pay off for headphones, so maybe they're worth considering.

Also the B&O's seem to have good reviews, but I'm not sure I'm ready to drop that money on something that won't be working in 3-4 years.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 10, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

AvesPKS posted:

I really appreciate it. Wired just isn't ideal for this use case as I like to be able to walk around while using these, but I appreciate that wireless is going to be a limiting factor here.

then get moondrop space travels. they're tuned better than most of the more expensive models, the gaming mode works, the noise cancelling is good enough and they cost $25. the latter part is important because the entire TWS category is destined for e-waste in 3 years when the batteries fail. do not obsess over or invest in tws sound quality.

AvesPKS posted:

My whole issue with Bose has always been that, besides being a marketing company, they seem to be obsessed with getting the best full range performance out of a single driver, which physics says is dreadful for speaker performance, but may seem to actually pay off for headphones, so maybe they're worth considering.

the ancient bass port maze argument has no bearing on headphones whatsoever. bose headphones are known for mediocre but inoffensive tuning but with best in class ANC and comfy pads.

AvesPKS posted:

Also the B&O's seem to have good reviews, but I'm not sure I'm ready to drop that money on something that won't be working in 3-4 years.

bang and olufsen are about design and status. sound quality is a distant third priority.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 10, 2023

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Just got an email Shenzhen Audio announcing Moondrop May, a new IEM that combines a dynamic driver with an annular planar driver for treble. At 65 bucks! I wonder how that will work out, especially as someone who is still in awe of how good Arias sound after I’ve owned them for months and used them daily.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Stellaris was apparently dogshit so Moondrop's IEM planar chops still have a lot to prove. It's also a USB-C IEM.

7hz Zero 2 is real good incidentally, not anything mind blowing sound wise but incredibly comfortable.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Just got an email Shenzhen Audio announcing Moondrop May, a new IEM that combines a dynamic driver with an annular planar driver for treble. At 65 bucks! I wonder how that will work out, especially as someone who is still in awe of how good Arias sound after I’ve owned them for months and used them daily.

When I saw them I almost ordered them but then

njsykora posted:

The Stellaris was apparently dogshit so Moondrop's IEM planar chops still have a lot to prove. It's also a USB-C IEM.

7hz Zero 2 is real good incidentally, not anything mind blowing sound wise but incredibly comfortable.

So yeah. I might wait for some reviews before deciding. They seem legit on the surface but ya never know!

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Picked up the moondrop space travels as I wanted a set to keep at work, only listened to them for a bit, but I like how they sound, seemed similar to my bl03, didn't A-B them though.

Case is kinda weird but it's small so wtvr.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it possible to use double- or triple-flanged silicone ear tips with the Pixel Buds pro? By which I mean both "do ones exist that will fit on the tubes of the earbuds?" and "will they fit in the case?".

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

got the moondrop space travel and their transparency mode works for my usage (my own game audio and still talk to my wife sitting next to me). It isn't super clear but as long as my audio isn't too loud I can hear her fine. Is this feature significantly better on fancier earbuds?

The sound quality seems fine enough and extraordinary for the price. I'd put it in the same range as all my other bt earbuds including the beats flex. Not as good as my filo f3 but also not so different for most things that I'd rather have transparency and no cord issues. I haven't noticed any issues with game latency in its gaming mode.

The only place they feel cheap is the case. Rather than a lid it's just a socket while still being a little big. It's weird the charging port is on the bottom. I don't think it supports wireless charging. The case might be annoying if you carried it around, but I'll be keeping them at home.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bright Bart posted:

I have been unsuccessful in getting people to check out Sennheiser 280s instead of Beyerdynamics or even more expensive Sennheisers. I've even tried to point out that the Pro in the name isn't a marketing gimmick; that plenty of producers and even engineers use that exact pair. They counter saying no, they use things like Beats. Which is true, lots of producers wear them in videos and documentaries. Because they get paid to. And also they master tracks to sound nice on popular headphones. After recording and mixing on something like the 280s. Oh well...

You are apparently the reason I ordered a pair the other day. They've arrived, and I realize I know nothing about wired headphones beyond the cheapos of yesteryear. Am I going to need an amp for these puppies or just an adapter to the usual size headphone jack?

vvv :tipshat:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 11, 2023

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You are apparently the reason I ordered a pair the other day. They've arrived, and I realize I know nothing about wired headphones beyond the cheapos of yesteryear. Am I going to need an amp for these puppies or just an adapter to the usual size headphone jack?

They're pretty easy to drive, so you won't need an amp.

I've had my 280 Pros for like 20 years because they were my workhorse set for DJ use (because my ears don't like supra-aural headphones like the more commonly used for DJing Sennheiser HD-25), and have seen a lot of poo poo and live a hard life, and they still work fine, and I still use them when I'm goofing around on my DJ set to this day.

I don't use them for day to day use though (I use modded Fostex T50RP mk2s for that), because the things that made them good for DJ use (the clamping force which made for good isolation, and the cable), make them less preferable to me for extended wear for daily stuff or when I want to lounge around and just listen to music.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I got the Space Travels today and yeah this case is wild lmao.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Ordered the Space Travels, should be here tomorrow. They're now the backups since I just lost one of my Beats Studio Buds. I'm considering getting a pair of B&W PI3s since there's no chance of losing one and I don't really need ANC most of the time. I'm also considering a pair of Galaxy Buds Pro 2.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The space travels are pretty drat good for the steam deck. The game mode works really well and I can’t notice any latency.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

[quote="MarcusSA" post="536489758"]
I got the Space Travels today and yeah this case is wild lmao.
Its extremely annoying you have to look at the case to figure out which goes where to put them back a little bump on one side to indicate like left by feel would have been nice.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

letshouer s12 for example beats any tws I've ever heard and is a third the price of the sonys

Would these work with one of the AliExpress neckbuds do it yourself set linked earlier up thread?

Space Travels are supposed to come today and I could really use them as I lost one of my Beats buds (probably fell out of the case when they got knocked off the counter onto the floor and I couldn't get to them fast enough because I'm on crutches right now, dog probably chewed and hid them).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I bought Hifiman Edition XS over their Black Friday sale and have been listening for a couple weeks. They are incredible! My base for comparison is audio technica AD1000x which have a very specific sound (which I love actually). This is a lot warmer, has lower bass extension, the separation is on par and the soundstage seems to be even bigger. Great upgrade. Also really easy to drive which is nice, plug em straight into iPhone a lot of time. I need to try it with my Atom amp, I haven’t mostly because it’s driving some bookshelf speakers for the TV right now.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 16, 2023

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm really getting jaded with the quality of support companies have for headphones. I've had two pairs of Sony over-the-ear headphones and now a pair of Pixel Buds Pro die in the same way - the right headphone/earbud makes a chirping or screeching sound when ANC is on. Does any company actually stand behind their products for more than a year? Good thing I used a credit card that provides an additional year warranty...

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

AvesPKS posted:

Does anyone have any experience with/comparing the Sennheiser TW3 with the Sony xm4/5
im late here but you need the XM5 buds. the XM4s have a pretty serious battery issue that results in one side dying prematurely. I had a pair of XM4s for about 18 months before they started acting up, and within a week or two, the right channel simply wouldn't hold a charge. thankfully, sony is owning up to it and gave me a full refund for my original purchase price, even though they are out of warranty. the XM5s do not seem to have the issue, which seems to be the reason Sony hustled the XM5s to market.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

TenementFunster posted:

im late here but you need the XM5 buds. the XM4s have a pretty serious battery issue that results in one side dying prematurely. I had a pair of XM4s for about 18 months before they started acting up, and within a week or two, the right channel simply wouldn't hold a charge. thankfully, sony is owning up to it and gave me a full refund for my original purchase price, even though they are out of warranty. the XM5s do not seem to have the issue, which seems to be the reason Sony hustled the XM5s to market.

I would also give the Linkbuds S a look if he's on a budget. They're really cheap on the used market and I paid $50 for mine. My theory is Sony accidentally created an IEM almost as good (if not as good) as the XM4 and made the oddball decision to market it as a premium version of their donut-shaped Linkbuds despite having very little in common with their design rather than risk taking sales away from their flagship product.

I don't know how the Linkbuds S stack up against the WF-1000XM4s and XM5s, but I can confidently say they are better than the XM3s in every way. I even think they sound way better than Sony's over-ear offerings, which I find to have muddy bass and "stuffy" sounding highs no matter how you EQ them. I'm also a fan of whatever the housing is coated in on these. I dropped one earbud four feet onto rough concrete and it didn't even leave a mark anywhere on it. Can't do that with piano black.

If I have to take points off, it's for the Transparency Mode, which is a bit thin and hissy. The ANC also requires a really tight seal to work to its full potential and that might not be comfortable for some wearers.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 17, 2023

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Is there a way to output sound to two sets of bluetooth headphones in windows? I am not seeing the stereo mix option when I look in settings. We don't have wired headphones or else I would get a splitter.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I've got a pair of Plantronic 995h-s that I've been using since, like, 2010 and the charging cable finally loving broke. Does anyone know what the charging cable I could get to replace it or does anyone have any recommendations for a pair that would be similar enough and modern for me to switch to? I like the over-the-ear wireless with a good microphone and solid sound quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

Thanks for the responses! I ended up going with the Galaxy Buds Pro 2, the Moondrop Space Travel as an emergency replacement, and a used Beats Studio Buds replacement, before (of course) my 5 year old found the presumably lost bud under the couch where the dog dragged it. Having now experienced all 3, I'd rate them as Galaxy Pro 2 > Beats Studio Buds > Moondrops, but the Moondrops are, I've got to believe, unbeatable for the price. But the Samsungs have bass which the other 2 can't match. The case on the Moondrops is unwieldy and is almost a deal breaker if you lack surface grip on your fingers as they are difficult to remove. With EQ the Samsungs are good for treble and mid, but really distinguish themselves on the lower end, over the other 2.