Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

What the hell am I supposed to do in this monastery basement boss fight? There are 22 enemies and one boss, I only get 2 turns to end it, and I can't find any interactables I'm supposed to use :gonk:

e: Nevermind, killing electro-priests raises the turn timer

There's some gimmicks you need to know for some of those fights or the difficulty skyrockets.

The first Chaos demon in the tutorial will get stacking +4 damage and regain a ton of health by consuming his grunt allies, so if you don't drop them asap he's gonna power up like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Eifert Posting posted:

Does anyone know if there's any sort of leveling guide out there that's actually written down? Most of the stuff I see is in video format and I don't find that particularly helpful.

There is this one I have found. https://www.reddit.com/r/RogueTraderCRPG/comments/184t5ik/melee_psyker_pyromancer_build_guide_burn_them_all/

Countzer
May 27, 2022

pentyne posted:

There's some gimmicks you need to know for some of those fights or the difficulty skyrockets.

The first Chaos demon in the tutorial will get stacking +4 damage and regain a ton of health by consuming his grunt allies, so if you don't drop them asap he's gonna power up like crazy.

Oh, that explains why it constantly interrupted my actions to eat and attack. I guess it's good that Abelard parried it every time, from the start of the fight till the end.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I really appreciate friendly fire. It's hilarious watching some cultist fucker dome the biggest threat in the room, making my job much easier.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Picked up a longlas for my officer and now I can support my team and also blow people away from across the map

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Picked up a longlas for my officer and now I can support my team and also blow people away from across the map

That longlas slaps!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Further Reading posted:

That longlas slaps!

When my trader isn't being a stereotypical commissar running up and chainswording things, she's sitting in the back picking people off with the longlas and shouting really loudly. My build is probably terribly unfocused right now, all things considered, but we'll see how that bears out. I'm not really sure what to do with my operatives just yet.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

so far no bugs and feeling very polished. Looks better than WoTR while still running well maxed detail @ 1440p on a 2060. Eventually we'll see if it has the usual curse of the giant crpg where the last act is rough.

edit: if anyone feels lost on what character to make none of the early npcs are an officer and it certainly makes sense story wise.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 8, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FuzzySlippers posted:

so far no bugs and feeling very polished. Looks better than WoTR while still running well maxed detail @ 1440p on a 2060. Eventually we'll see if it has the usual curse of the giant crpg where the last act is rough.

fired up my last save and i thought i was at the space marine fight butttt instead i'm in one of the 10000 identical spaceport fights, hmm

e: oh no I'm ok it was just before the marine

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Does this game remind anyone else a lot of the Obsidian game Tyranny?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Love that Owlcat did the same thing they did in PF and is recommending you either the mist vanilla/uninteresting abilities on level up or just poo poo that straight up sucks.

Pro-tip scroll down all the way and read your options, the standard build sucks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How broken is this game? Should I wait a couple of months?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

Jury's still out. As far as I can tell nobody has had their progression destroyed yet but I've had to reload to an autosave twice now because something broke and prevented the game from working. If you wanna be save there's no shame in holding out.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

can I romance the battle sister in this game

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Whorelord posted:

No, Games Workshop apparently forbid it.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
what the gently caress.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Boooo.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

She only loves war.

Probably

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Nephthys posted:

No, Games Workshop apparently forbid it.

Is that confirmed GW fiat or is it just Owlcat not wanting to write a romance for her? Because it turns out that whole "Can't romance the barbarian lady in Kingmaker because Paizo said no" thing was just a myth and it was a decision by Owlcat themselves.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Clerical Terrors posted:

Is that confirmed GW fiat or is it just Owlcat not wanting to write a romance for her? Because it turns out that whole "Can't romance the barbarian lady in Kingmaker because Paizo said no" thing was just a myth and it was a decision by Owlcat themselves.

Amiri would have just been Dollar Tree Karlach but that's still weird.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

FuzzySlippers posted:

I rolled a naval officer and I’m glad I’ve had some stuffy dialogue options and I hope I get more. Compose yourself leftenant!

I also picked the coolest hat.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

avoraciopoctules posted:

I have not tried out the ship combat yet, but the pacing of the party chat encounters flying around the starting system seems a little much so far. I was not expecting to deal with two big crew conversations before I had a chance to visit two places with the ship.

In the beta this calms way down after the first system. You have to remember your ship effectively had a civil war and is missing extremely rare, specialized crew that basically makes it a floating coffin.

Edit: The best advice in game difficulty terms is to do everything you can to make Abby unkillable and then just shove him right in people's faces. With the way his class works it's very hard to make him not hit like a Mack truck so you just want him to absorb enemy attention and keep your other dudes standing.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 8, 2023

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Whorelord posted:

She only loves the Emperor.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Clerical Terrors posted:

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=ht...eec2f34c32fa3ce

It seems like it to me, unless theres another way to interpret that.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
The game rocks so far. I decided to roll up a Noblewoman Officer with the hopes that I could RP the most obnoxiously entitled and arrogant piece of poo poo I could and so fat the dialog options have not let me down.

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

Looks like they enabled cloud saves for the game now. Thankfully they hopped on it quick.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
She's in a committed relationship with her bolter.

I'm not really kidding, I went through the entire beta without finding an upgrade for it. There are bolters out there that do more damage but they do one fewer shot. At least the way I ran her there was no reason for her to not Always Be Brrrrt'ing.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I've had no game breaking bugs, but I'm getting CTDs pretty often. I think it might be something about the voidship bridge as it started during the chaos spawn fight.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I know you can respec the main character but from implication of some of the videos I've watched, it sounds like you can't respec the companions, is that accurate?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I know you can respec the main character but from implication of some of the videos I've watched, it sounds like you can't respec the companions, is that accurate?

You can respec them, yeah. Not further than I minimum level though.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Yeah it is probably the same as WoTR you can respec them, but only to the point where they joined at.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So what are the basic builds for your protagonist? Just as a general, vague overview for someone new to the system. I'm guessing there's the classic fighter/mage/rogue RPG trinity plus hybrid options, but a touch more detail (and mention of weird builds/classes that exist outside that trinity) would be neat.

I'm thinking of going for the stereotypical dashing, charismatic swashbuckler as my Trader. Leave the brute force and the space magic to my companions while I rely on a combination of quick wits and quicker blades (or pistols, as the case may be).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Waroduce posted:

really looking foward to hearing first impressions! been tracking this game for a long time, big ham fan, but i've heard owlcat games desperatly need balance patches to be playable :(

e: is there a goon discord or just the owlcat one

started yesterday. Commisar warrior named Filbert Ringo. I will say I am sorta shocked they made the very obvious traitor show his hand so quickly I like it so far. I am playing on baby mode because i suck at these games often. but its very fun

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Further Reading posted:

You can respec them, yeah. Not further than I minimum level though.

Ah ok, yeah the videos were complaining a couple characters you get later have some weird talent choices and such so I guess you wouldn't be able to change those.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I'm surprised at how few bugs I'm having. Just a couple of visual bugs is all during my time so far maybe 5-6 hours in.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

So what are the basic builds for your protagonist? Just as a general, vague overview for someone new to the system. I'm guessing there's the classic fighter/mage/rogue RPG trinity plus hybrid options, but a touch more detail (and mention of weird builds/classes that exist outside that trinity) would be neat.

I'm thinking of going for the stereotypical dashing, charismatic swashbuckler as my Trader. Leave the brute force and the space magic to my companions while I rely on a combination of quick wits and quicker blades (or pistols, as the case may be).

I think I'd recommend Noble officer for pretty much anybody who doesn't have a real strong idea of what they want to do going in.

The background is whatever, there's a few good options, but officer makes the most sense as a class. The mechanics are much simpler than operative particularly and less redundant than every other option. It's also really good and, as long as you don't want to be the number one combat threat, it'll be a fine class for kind of like a sword and pistol style build. You have to stay close to your damage dealers to give them bonus actions anyways.

If you think you're probably not going to pal around with the Inquisitor for some reason *cough* then a melee character also makes a ton of sense.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 8, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Flowing Thot posted:

Does this game remind anyone else a lot of the Obsidian game Tyranny?

Nah. Beyond "sharing the same color pallet," the themes are pretty different so far it what it is trying to explore. Tyranny was very explicit about exploring how you are a cog in the machine of the evil empire (and what happens when the cog starts thinking for itself or starts squeaking a lot as it spins). Rogue Trader is, so far, about you falling into the role of patriarch for one of the most powerful organizations in the Imperium where you'll either figure things out and become wildly, disgustingly powerful or you'll die in any of the numerous ways Warhammer can kill you. It doesn't seem to care (yet!) about your place within the Imperial Bureaucracy or what this means for you and the people around you, though I admittedly have a theory about Theodora's death that may bring the two games closer together if it turns out to be accurate.

But I don't think "game where you're

Eifert Posting posted:

She's in a committed relationship with her bolter.

I'm not really kidding, I went through the entire beta without finding an upgrade for it. There are bolters out there that do more damage but they do one fewer shot. At least the way I ran her there was no reason for her to not Always Be Brrrrt'ing.

She's definitely my trader's best bud among the team so far as a "Commissar who mellowed out a bit," with Idira being the "I tolerate you because you are useful but that tolerance is very thin" pick. I really want to find a proper Heavy Bolter to drop on her, given that she is perfectly shaped for being the lightning rod of all of those "Bring it Down" and "Finest Hour" me and Cassia can throw down.

Flowing Thot posted:

I'm surprised at how few bugs I'm having. Just a couple of visual bugs is all during my time so far maybe 5-6 hours in.

I've only run into one so far, where Argenta did that animation bug thing you could get in Kingmaker or Wrath and begins to execute the attack and then hangs in the middle of the animation preventing the game from moving forward with the chain of events. I sent it into Owlcat, but I honestly don't expect much--this is something that was super common in both of the previous CRPGs.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Generally, you decide on a role you want to do and try to synergize Archetype, origin and Homeworld.
A mass shooter to put Argenta to shame would pick Fortress World , likely Imperial guard and Solder.
A debuffer shooter/sniper who wants to use skills too can go Voidborn , Crime Lord Operative.
A buffer tactician would go Officer, then either Imperial world to boost Fellowship the most with no drawbacks, or perhaps hiveworld to help people next to him. Melee may prefer commissar, while ranged would go noble.
A standard melee build would pick Death or Forge world, Commisar or Navy officer and select Warrior.
Psyker depending on what you focus can work with multiple ideas . A melee pyromance sets hismelf and others on fire up close, a telepath screams and shoot from a distance.

There are of course more specialized builds to try like Priest Melee Death World, Dodgetank Operative Hive hive world Psyker Diviner etc or try to make a true melee/ranged switchhitter Arch Militant.

An easy and extremely effective build that compliments standard party is an Officer build. Pick the companion you like and let him cook. Just raise up your Weapon or Ballistic skill a bit to pepper shots in.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You couldn't equip heavy weapons at all in the beta and it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to. a certain someone I'm about to run into has a multimeta that my magos stared longingly at all beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Welp, guess I'll be a Noble Officer, then. Glad to see the most stereotypically 'Rogue Trader' option is well-regarded.