Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

pedro0930 posted:

Shadow Empire has PBEM, Dominion 6 is coming out soon...

PBEM is sort of a bad description for it. Dominions 6 or Master of Orion 2 are what they are thinking of. All the players put their orders in, and then the game runs the turn. I think Civ4 called it pitboss mode?

Not Player 1-Player 2- Player 3- AI- Player 1. Like Shadow Empire.

Trying to google that specific mechanic is a pain. Epcinium is an interesting take on it for 1v1 but it isn't a 4x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The terms used for these differed types of PBEM games are IGOUGO and WEGO.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Valatar posted:

Are there any current-ish 4xes that are essentially PBEM? Doesn't have to be literally going over email, I mean any game where the players can take their turns whenever they want and a host/central server will generate the turn once everyone's turned in instead of all the players needing to be online and playing at the same time.
Age of Wonders 4 in simultaneous turns mode. Though it's not quite "generate the turns when everyone's done" - the game advances to the next turn after everyone has hit end turn, but when I move my guys I've moved my guys and you will see them moving to their new position when you log in (or as I'm moving them if you're also online).

Also I think pvp combat will pause the game until both players are online to duke it out.

Jul 20, 2006

Valatar posted:

Are there any current-ish 4xes that are essentially PBEM? Doesn't have to be literally going over email, I mean any game where the players can take their turns whenever they want and a host/central server will generate the turn once everyone's turned in instead of all the players needing to be online and playing at the same time.

You could try Unciv which has multiplayer that sounds like what you might be looking for?

Maybe this doesn't really meet your criteria of "current-ish" given it's an open source remake of Civ 5, but the multiplayer really is solid and being able to take turns on your phone whenever you want, with a decently optimized mobile interface, is revolutionary.

Unciv is still being developed and has reached a point where I'm digging it's style. It's available on PC too but it feels right on mobile.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The upcoming remake of Solium Infernum will be WeGo. Not sure if also PBEM.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is Stellar Monarch 2? Running a space empire with decisions instead of micro-management sounds like very my thing, but the UI/UX looks really amateurish and clunky. Are there any better options, if that's the vibe I'm jonesing for?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Been looking at civ 6 since I’m considering getting it for my phone and wow they really went nuts taking features from paradox, huh.

Figure since civ 6 never got proper modding tools I’m not missing much not playing on pc

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm kinda bummed to say that isn't the case because the mod scene has done a *lot* of cool poo poo with Civ 6, but hell, it's a great game either way and good to have on your phone

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Jesus Christ civ 6 on mobile is a mess, I literally can’t download any of the dlc I paid for and this has apparently been a problem for years and they never fixed it. Reinstalled the game about 5 times

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Figure since civ 6 never got proper modding tools I’m not missing much not playing on pc

?

I play with 100+ mods on PC

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Those aren't mutually exclusive. The Civ6 modding community spun lots of gold from a stone.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"How can you mod a game without modding support" has dusted me.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

THE BAR posted:

Those aren't mutually exclusive. The Civ6 modding community spun lots of gold from a stone.

it's mutually exclusive with the second half of the sentence at least

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
many games are modded despite offering zero mod support, because people reverse engineer the poo poo out of them

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I am liking the what I’m seeing of the mechanics so far though, a lot of paradox game mechanics and they brought back civ 4 health and happiness systems just renamed

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

THE BAR posted:

Asking sincerely, do any of them create a non-braindead AI?

Like I suck at these games, but immediately stopped playing Civ 6 when I realized the AI just had random units wandering around doing nothing and wasn't really even trying to play the game.

I can't overemphasize how bad the AI seemed even compared to other standard 4x games.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

SlyFrog posted:

Asking sincerely, do any of them create a non-braindead AI?

Like I suck at these games, but immediately stopped playing Civ 6 when I realized the AI just had random units wandering around doing nothing and wasn't really even trying to play the game.

I can't overemphasize how bad the AI seemed even compared to other standard 4x games.

Civ V has better AI in the vox populi mod but the issue is that to mod the AI you need DLL source code access, which was never released for 6

Also for adding new functions and stuff to the game which is why vox populi has a bunch of mechanics that were taken almost wholesale by civ 6

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

SlyFrog posted:

when I realized the AI just had random units wandering around doing nothing

I like to think of this as an accurate portrayal of the US military during peacetime

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

What’s the consensus on the empire building in civ 6 vs 5? I’ve been playing civ 6 and while I haven’t gotten far yet, so far it seems a lot more complex. The amenities/housing being basically reskinned Civ 4 happiness/health is a nice addition, since civ 5 making happiness an empire wide thing made your cities seem less differentiated from each other

It’s kinda funny how many mechanics are lifted directly from the vox populi mod though. And then they proceeded to never release DLL access so a vox populi 2 could never be made

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Have they actually lifted that much from Vox Populi?

I guess corporations & monopolies are in now, though i admit I haven't actually played Civ 6 with those so I'm not sure what the similarities are like.

VP had vassalage, I'm fairly sure Civ 6 doesn't. And the way building bonuses work in VP is very different (with many many buildings enhancing certain resources etc).

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Microplastics posted:

Have they actually lifted that much from Vox Populi?

I guess corporations & monopolies are in now, though i admit I haven't actually played Civ 6 with those so I'm not sure what the similarities are like.

VP had vassalage, I'm fairly sure Civ 6 doesn't. And the way building bonuses work in VP is very different (with many many buildings enhancing certain resources etc).

Envoys are lifted pretty much directly I thought. Along with farm adjacency bonuses and a bunch of other smaller mechanics

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Envoys in name only, perhaps.

In VP they're units on the map that have to be built with production, and physically sent over, and they use a unit of Paper while they exist. I think they can be killed, too. In Civ 6 they're a sort of currency, earned via governments and policy cards, and transmitted instantly. The Civ 6 version isn't bad - I kinda like its simplicity - but I actually more enjoy the VP version.

I think you're right about the farm adjacency though. It even kicks in at the same time as it does with VP if I recall!

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Stellaris Nexus is having an open beta right now, featuring some new content over the NextFest demo that came out a few months ago (a few new factions, some SP story missions).
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1983990/Stellaris_Nexus/

This is a fast-pace, simultaneous turn 4X game (one hour match). The main mode is pretty fun FFA with many viable strategies present. There are a lot of interesting decisions to make. For example, tech choice is mutually exclusive at each tier, so researching better ship might lock you out of advanced building, etc...though you can trade tech with other players. The number of order you can give is also limited (kind of like Old Worlds, basically most faction has the influence resources, the more order you give per turn, the more expensive it is to issue further order. Influence is also used as upkeep for planets.) A big mechanic change compares to NextFest demo is that ship is free to build and reinforce, it only cost ammo maintenance. "Repair/damaged" is also no longer a thing, ships are always destroyed. Instead "repair" now determine how many ships the fleet can reinforce.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 11, 2023

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

it's mutually exclusive with the second half of the sentence at least

That's what I get for not quoting. I don't even remember who I was responding to :v:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

pedro0930 posted:

Stellaris Nexus is having an open beta right now, featuring some new content over the NextFest demo that came out a few months ago (a few new factions, some SP story missions).
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1983990/Stellaris_Nexus/

This is a fast-pace, simultaneous turn 4X game (one hour match). The main mode is pretty fun FFA with many viable strategies present (lots of ways to score, I find it somewhat difficult to eliminate player, though it is definitely possible to cripple other player) There are a lot of interesting decisions to make. For example, tech choice is mutually exclusive at each tier, so researching better ship might lock you out of advanced building, etc...though you can trade tech with other players. The number of order you can give is also limited (kind of like Old Worlds).

thanks for the notice, wasn't aware of this happening.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

It’s roughly turn 150 on my first civ 6 gs with all the dlc game, I’m playing on immortal and have 2x the score of my nearest rival bc I conquered two neighbors

I turned on all the special rules from the new frontier pass and I think heroes plus dramatic ages might have snowballed things a bit bc I don’t think being in the renaissance on turn 150 is normal.

FrancisFukyomama fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 11, 2023

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I always play with Heroes off, too much luck, especially on faster turn settings

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I always play with Heroes off, too much luck, especially on faster turn settings

That’s probably fair, I’m guessing the ai doesn’t understand monopolies either?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FrancisFukyomama posted:

the ai doesn’t understand

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Man, I wish Stellaris had never forced everyone into one FTL type. They really had a cool mechanic that made the game challenging and fun and nerfed it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Stellaris is far more fun now that it's possible to actually defend in wars. And now that there isn't a lame duck FTL type that's just strictly worse in every way that matters.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
The only game that really handled multiple FTL types well was Sword of the Stars anyway :rip:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

chainchompz posted:

Man, I wish Stellaris had never forced everyone into one FTL type. They really had a cool mechanic that made the game challenging and fun and nerfed it.
They'd have had to heavily alter how they do customisation, allowing a lot less freedom and much larger "packages" of tech.

I'm not saying this would have been a bad thing.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

even when there was three types i'd force hyperlane only because it gave some geography to it all. Wheeee warpgate to your capitol another easy game in the bag, suck it ftl nerds

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Zurai posted:

And now that there isn't a lame duck FTL type that's just strictly worse in every way that matters.

But enough about hyperlanes.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

FrancisFukyomama posted:

That’s probably fair, I’m guessing the ai doesn’t understand monopolies either?

they build the first tier of industries, but I have never seen a Product or even the second tier tile

the civ 6 thread consensus is monopolies are a thing you should turn on once for the easy cheevos and then skip completely

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Is there a good guide for Aurora 4x? The wiki seems a little sparse and the video guides I see are years old.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Dreamsicle posted:

Is there a good guide for Aurora 4x? The wiki seems a little sparse and the video guides I see are years old.

Eh not really. I'd recommend reading the Aurora forums looking at the Academy subforum, and also watching some recent LPs of the game - Defran Strategy on Youtube comes to mind, they show off the newer updates to the game. Aurora's changed so much since the early days I'm not sure how much help the old guides or wiki would be anymore to a brand new player.

I kind of want to make a general Aurora 4x thread here for this very reason, but :effort: and also I'm not really very good at actually playing it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Aurora's one of those games I periodically fall madly in love with and play feverishly for a few days straight, then drop like a stone because the micromanagement exceeds my threshold.

I love designing ships in it, though. Every single decision you make along the way really matters and makes a huge difference in how you use the ship. A battlecruiser designed to project power at a distance has different design needs from top to bottom from a fast response ship, even if they're roughly the same size and carry similar types of weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
There have been several Aurora LPs run here but I think they're all for the pre-C# version of the game, and there have been so many changes (especially around engine and ship design) that they're tough to recommend for learning the game.

Every now and then I read the changelog and crack open the now very dated toolset I created to help run my LP, fiddle with a line of code or two in the tool I started to update from 5.62 to newer DB schemas, then give up. Maybe for the ten year anniversary of the Coldest War's abandonment I'll make some real progress on it. Or do it by hand.