Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, like AreTheyGay’s stuff that was copied? Yeah, maybe, though I’ll admit as I was watching the hbomberguy video I was wondering how he didn’t get copyright struck for replaying so much of Somerton’s videos. I guess it has to be registered with content ID or whatever.

I just assume YouTube only cares about copyright if it could potentially affect advertisers. They have no incentive to care about other youtube content copying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, like AreTheyGay’s stuff that was copied? Yeah, maybe, though I’ll admit as I was watching the hbomberguy video I was wondering how he didn’t get copyright struck for replaying so much of Somerton’s videos. I guess it has to be registered with content ID or whatever.

And even then, you don't want content ID to be that broad so you don't constantly get false positives. For something like AreTheyGay's work or the documentaries that were basically reuploaded with a filter and a new audio track, they wouldn't be hit for the same reason AreTheyGay's video wasn't recognized as a full episode of Merlin. There was enough other stuff that it wouldn't have registered on their automated system.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

From my limited understanding as a non-expert outsider, content ID is a mishmash of YouTube and third-party automated scrubbers, where YouTube has some sort of minimal standard for their internal tools to auto-flag stuff, and then the third-party reporters use the automated reporting tools to flag stuff based on the whims of whoever is in charge of the bot. Some third parties attempt to act relatively legitimately according to their own arcane standards, and then there're the ones that flag every single second of any content they hold, and that's all beside the fraudsters who just claim whatever they want even if they don't own the legal rights to the content in the first place.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

garthoneeye posted:

I just assume YouTube only cares about copyright if it could potentially affect advertisers. They have no incentive to care about other youtube content copying.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/19/21030812/cox-communications-record-labels-lawsuit-appeal-1-billion-piracy-isp-charter

They have a real big reason to at least appear to care about copyright.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
https://goodman-games.com/blog/2023...Pbfl4IJRci-bWZY

Uhhh, isn't diamond terrible?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Honestly anything would be better than their current strategy of "$30 shipping on a $10 pamphlet to anywhere but the US" so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Diamond is also Alliance, so it makes more sense. Without DC and Marvel exclusively, Diamond is scrambling to get anything they can locked down to stay around.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Speaking of DCC, its most recent printing has the grogosphere up in arms over changes to one of its passages, removing references to older DnD creators and talking about the future.

My take is "ok". But people sure aren't happy. Its not like DCC is "old school" anyway.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 7, 2023

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The grogosphere is all reactionary weirdos. I'm not surprised they are mad about change.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

The grogosphere

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I think that the Goodman Games guys have realized over the past five years that there's a much bigger market in courting dissatisfied 5e players than appealing to an ever-dwindling pool of nostalgic grogs.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lumbermouth posted:

I think that the Goodman Games guys have realized over the past five years that there's a much bigger market in courting dissatisfied 5e players than appealing to an ever-dwindling pool of nostalgic grogs.

Yeah, i think pivoting toward presenting as Simple D&D instead of Old, Hardcore D&D is a pretty reasonable way to go.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, i think pivoting toward presenting as Simple D&D instead of Old, Hardcore D&D is a pretty reasonable way to go.

They also moved to gender neutral pronouns for their most recent printing of the rules. It still hasn't fully paid off (see the wide array of old white faces above) but they're definitely moving in the right direction.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

this post clicked something in my brain and I decided to look into Kobold Press's Tales of the Valiant as I remembered that it exists. It actually does something interesting with the Fighter

like, it's not earth-shattering, but it does seem like they're not just literally filing off the serial numbers from D&D

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Aren't those literally battlemaster maneuvers?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I recognize Arcing Strike, Parry, Redirect, and Riposte, but I guess changing them from "spend a superiority die, which is a d8, to use this" to "you can use this a number of times equal to twice your proficiency bonus" counts as "distinctive enough for Hasbro to not sue us into oblivion."

Even then, come on, bring back the Fighter's Mark from 4e, you cowards.

Since we're on the subject of playtesting, I dug up the final 5e playtest from just over ten years ago. I much prefer the playtest version of Indomitable (you have advantage on saving throws) over what made it into 5e (reroll a failed saving throw, the new result is final even if it's worse), and man oh man I am pissed Defy Death isn't a core fighter ability (if you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, make a DC 15 Constitution save to remain standing at 1 hit point.)

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Martial Actions are also Fighting Styles turned into weak Battlemaster Maneuvers instead of passive bonuses. Which, eh... Fighters need more levers to pull, yes, but I'm feeling distinctly uninspired by this.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I have the distinct feeling a lot of people will want to play D&D Larian Edition in the future.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
D&D where the entire party wants to bang within 30 seconds of meeting each other, and the omniscient, all-powerful DMPC gets super judgmental toward anyone who decides they're not into that.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Anyone checked out the MCDM RPG Kickstarter? Only thing I've heard so far is that they got rid to hit rolls.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

leekster posted:

Anyone checked out the MCDM RPG Kickstarter? Only thing I've heard so far is that they got rid to hit rolls.

Taken a look at it and might back it. As far as I can tell it's not a d20 system at all but works with 2d6. It has a system of combat escalation, so basically the further into combat you are the more stuff you can do, to avoid battles getting slogged down (like a more elaborate version of the Escalation Dice in 13th age).

Typically overenthusiastic Matt Colville video about it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UADbYrPAodQ

Backerkit page here:

https://www.backerkit.com/c/projects/mcdm-productions/mcdm-rpg

It's interesting enough that I'd certainly like to play at least one game. And I like that rather than promising the moon and stars their target is "this is the cost of making the basic rules and bestiary. If we make more money than this we'll be able to look at more stuff like VTTs but we're not committing to that yet at all".

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 8, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kestral posted:

D&D where the entire party wants to bang within 30 seconds of meeting each other, and the omniscient, all-powerful DMPC gets super judgmental toward anyone who decides they're not into that.
A whole bunch of small no brainer changes to 5th edition that should be back ported.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Arcana Unearthed article for a Karma dice variant rule

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Removing attunement, removing multiclass requirements, reducing spell ranges, free action weapon switching, and changing potions to bonus actions are just obvious no drawback improvements.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I have the distinct feeling a lot of people will want to play D&D Larian Edition in the future.

Rules tweaks aside, that's just normal D&D but with more stacking of boxes to throw alchemist fire at a height.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm still waiting for the Cyberpunk RED total conversion mod, myself.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Removing attunement, removing multiclass requirements, reducing spell ranges, free action weapon switching, and changing potions to bonus actions are just obvious no drawback improvements.

I’ll just add on to this and say just do away with Bonus Actions, Movement, and Reactions and take the DC20 approach of giving players 4 actions that recharge at the end of their turn.

I’m a bit skeptical on if it will take off or not, but y’all should check out DC20 by Dungeon Coach; it takes the opposite approach of MCDM and gets rid of the damage roll, increasing damage done for every increment of 5 you exceed the target number/AC by.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

disposablewords posted:

Martial Actions are also Fighting Styles turned into weak Battlemaster Maneuvers instead of passive bonuses. Which, eh... Fighters need more levers to pull, yes, but I'm feeling distinctly uninspired by this.
This sort of Fighter Fix comes across to me as clunky attempts to introduce 4th editions innovations without seeming too similar, lest they upset some of the fandom.

VVVVV Edit: I'm pretty sure Mighty Deeds was part of DCC from the get-go, and it came out a couple years before 5e was released.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 8, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Didn't DCC mighty deeds come out before 5e's fighter stuff?

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Terrible Opinions posted:

Didn't DCC mighty deeds come out before 5e's fighter stuff?

During the playtest, they were taking everything and kitchen sink. Mearls wanted to take the escalation die from 13th age but it was probably deemed insufficiently pandering to grognards.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Oof.

Hasbro cuts 1,100 jobs, or 20% of its workforce, prompted by the ongoing malaise in the toy business

quote:

NEW YORK (AP) — Toy maker Hasbro said Monday it is cutting about 1,100 jobs, or 20% of its workforce, as the malaise in the toy business extends through another holiday shopping season.

The nearly century-old Rhode Island-based company behind Monopoly, Play-Doh and My Little Pony toys disclosed the layoffs in a memo to employees published in a regulatory filing. The Wall Street Journal first reported the news.

The company said that the reductions are on top of 800 job cuts that have been taken so far in 2023 as part of moves announced last year to save up to $300 million annually by 2025. As of year-end 2022, the company said it had 6,490 employees.

Like many toy companies, Hasbro is struggling with a slowdown in sales after a surge during pandemic lockdowns when parents were splurging on toys to keep their children busy. Last holiday season, many toy companies had to slash prices to get rid of merchandise due to weak demand. And the challenges have continued. Toy sales in the U.S. were down 8% from January through August, based on Circana’s most recent data.

“The market headwinds we anticipated have proven to be stronger and more persistent than planned,” Hasbro CEO Chris Cocks wrote in the memo. “While we have made some important progress across our organization, the headwinds we saw through the first nine months of the year have continued into holiday and are likely to persist into 2024.”

Cocks had said the toymaker will “focus on fewer, bigger brands; gaming; digital; and our rapidly growing direct to consumer and licensing businesses.”

Shares in Hasbro Inc. fell almost 6% in after-market trading Monday.
https://apnews.com/article/hasbro-job-cuts-toys-pandemic-4917d94e34e142cc19d4c765b1a85993

Maybe another fifteen or sixteen Magic sets aimed squarely at collectors will fix this problem.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

quote:

Hasbro CEO Chris Cocks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

incredible post/avatar combo

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I bet they're still making a profit and those people are being punished for not yielding infinite growth

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I bet they're still making a profit and those people are being punished for not yielding infinite growth

Pretty much, 11.2% adjusted operating margin in Q3 for consumer products versus 48% from WotC/digital.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A return to the time-honored Hasbro/WotC tradition of layoffs in December.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Chris Cocks will make you jump, jump.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Saucer Crab posted:

Pretty much, 11.2% adjusted operating margin in Q3 for consumer products versus 48% from WotC/digital.

Important to note here, also, that explicitly these cuts are because other, non-WotC parts of Hasbro are suffering. So it’s not even that WotC didn’t meet growth targets, it’s that other parts of the company didn’t.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mors Rattus posted:

Important to note here, also, that explicitly these cuts are because other, non-WotC parts of Hasbro are suffering. So it’s not even that WotC didn’t meet growth targets, it’s that other parts of the company didn’t.
Some real 40k captain logic here. Whip the unaffiliated personnel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

A tradition that somehow still manages to surprise me with its heartlessness.