Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

He's a unique human being who is allowed to not want to work in new york city. it's fine! I actually could make more money if i was willing to work in new york city and i actively don't want to. It's fine.

Is it because you don't want to get boo'd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Intruder posted:

Where do you move Judge then? Can't DH him unless you're just going to eat Stanton's money

e: also Judge is a legit good defensive outfielder so DHing him seems wasteful

I think you can keep him in RF and start Soto in LF. But LF in Yankee Stadium is almost as cavernous as RF, so maybe you see what Soto can do in LF and move Judge there if he can't cover the ground. Then you platoon Verdugo with Stanton or just mainline DH him when Stanton's legs fall off, and rotate him as a fourth OF. After a day of mind-melting work I'm back to being very sure they're not gonna add another major piece anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Popete posted:

Is it because you don't want to get boo'd?

I think getting booed at work would be pretty funny tbh

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I just cannot imagine Judge sticking at CF. Maybe that's unfair of me but he just doesn't seem to fit the bill of a quick athletic outfielder, I know he's got a good arm though.

Really the Yankees entire outfield if it's Judge/Verdugo/Soto is going to be rough defensively.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1732828079989416355

The trade deadline was August 1st and King's first start was August 12th.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well Played Mauer posted:

I think you can keep him in RF and start Soto in LF. But LF in Yankee Stadium is almost as cavernous as RF, so maybe you see what Soto can do in LF and move Judge there if he can't cover the ground. Then you platoon Verdugo with Stanton or just mainline DH him when Stanton's legs fall off, and rotate him as a fourth OF. After a day of mind-melting work I'm back to being very sure they're not gonna add another major piece anyway.

Hopefully the team ends up with Soto in left, JD in CF and Judge in right with Stanton at DH and Verdugo comes off the bench.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1732875456058196288

This seems like a really lovely plan lol

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I am all for the Yankees signing Jordan Hicks

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

General Dog posted:

I really wanted to put it at 200 but didn't want to seem like I was just being provocative.

200 or 250 doesn't make too much of a difference. It's still probably 2 seasons either way, just whether you think he gets hurt during one of the years. But 2 feels like a reasonable place to set the over/under.

I think 3-4 years before transitioning out if his arm holds with the chance of a scary arm injury in the first couple years forcing the issue.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If we do the same exercise for O/U remaining lifetime innings for deGrom, it’s what, like 80?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

dear god no

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

I just cannot imagine Judge sticking at CF. Maybe that's unfair of me but he just doesn't seem to fit the bill of a quick athletic outfielder, I know he's got a good arm though.

Really the Yankees entire outfield if it's Judge/Verdugo/Soto is going to be rough defensively.

Yankees finally learning the correct lesson from the Phillies.

But also Judge has played 932 career innings in CF, and grades out around average there. I don't think it should be seen as his primary position long-term but this isn't like they're gonna spring it in him and he can't handle it.

Edit: also this situation is absolutely for sure going to work itself out in rapid order.

pseudodragon posted:

200 or 250 doesn't make too much of a difference. It's still probably 2 seasons either way, just whether you think he gets hurt during one of the years. But 2 feels like a reasonable place to set the over/under.

I think 3-4 years before transitioning out if his arm holds with the chance of a scary arm injury in the first couple years forcing the issue.

If/when a team decides Ohtani's pitching days are behind him, I wonder if that means they just let him play OF again.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 7, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

duomo posted:

Biggest news of the offseason for the Orioles:

https://twitter.com/luxury/status/1732841381406642424

I never heard of this dude or his company

But still better than Angelos' lol

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If Jameson Taillon can throw 500 innings after having his second TJ surgery, I think Ohtani can get to 250.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

If/when a team decides Ohtani's pitching days are behind him, I wonder if that means they just let him play OF again.
I'd expect so, he is a phenomenal athelete I'm sure he could play a competent LF

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
You'd have to figure something out because if you're paying Ohtani $50m+ to just DH, ouch

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I never heard of this dude or his company

But still better than Angelos' lol

Fun facts about The Carlyle Group. The Bin Laden family owned a "small" investment in the firm from 1995-2001 when they liquified their position with the company for obvious reasons. That and the fact that George HW Bush was an advisor to the company made them a boogyman in Fahrenheit 911, and one of their former CEOs is current Virginia governor Glenn Youngkin.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Case closed primates, the birds have spoken
https://x.com/hello_joejo/status/1732893073150181715?s=20

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I mean that octopus that called World Cup games a few years back was pretty on point.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Intruder posted:

You'd have to figure something out because if you're paying Ohtani $50m+ to just DH, ouch

A huge part of paying him that much is selling tickets and marketing in Japan that doesn't have to be shared with the other owners.

He's absolutely worth 50 million a year even as just a DH.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

god fuckingn damnit

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Shohei Ohtani, who is cool, good, our friend and going to be a Cub next season, will pitch 1500 more innings. Also if a team decides it's time he doesn't pitch anymore he's just not going to play for them hth

just SDMH at people looking at Ohtani and going "He can't keep getting away with this!!!"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
So where's this big fish announcement

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

So where's this big fish announcement

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2023-11-21/angels-tim-salmon-houseboat-accident-serious-injury

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Ohtani launching dongs into the bay would be fun but it does feel like largely a lateral move going from LAAAA to there

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/cdnpoli101/status/1733006220154351708

Big news!!!! This is definitely confirmed just like Kawhi

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ohtani is flying to Toronto to announce he is signing with the Dodgers.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/cdnpoli101/status/1733006220154351708

Big news!!!! This is definitely confirmed just like Kawhi

You mean “Kawaii”

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Morosi is on tv saying things like “momentum building towards Toronto” and “the Jays have improved their standing with Ohtani in recent days”

Which I do not understand at all in the context of “no one is leaking anything about this process” so clearly that means it’s as good as done and he’s a Blue Jay

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I will still be shocked if he is not a Dodger.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

R.D. Mangles posted:

I will still be shocked if he is not a Dodger.

this

If he does sign for the BJs its by far the biggest free agent signing in the history of toronto sports.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I want to believe

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
I choose to believe and I am ready to be heartbroken.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Gobias Ind. posted:

I choose to believe and I am ready to be heartbroken.

This is the way

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I'm going to poo poo my pants if this happens and I don't care where I am

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Oh well. It was stupid of me to think the Cubs would do what it takes to get him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The rumor is the Jays offered him $600m so are you sure you wanted them to do what it takes to get him

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
ShoJay

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my job as a headline writer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

zoux posted:

The rumor is the Jays offered him $600m so are you sure you wanted them to do what it takes to get him

Uhhhh yes??

Why would I not want the best player in baseball on my team being paid by the richest owners in MLB???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

every version of this post I’ve seen a million times over the past few months, is stupid