Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kestral posted:

Seriously. My favorite part of running that godforsaken system was writing fake shadowrunner forum conversations about stuff the PCs were doing, so the players could see the impact of their runs on the world.

One of my players has been playing the same character since like, 2nd ed and I love it because it means I get to have the actual Names in the setting know him personally to mock/help/shitpost at, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Is Shadowrun the system where stun grenades can reduce people to paste in tight corridors?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Is Shadowrun the system where stun grenades can reduce people to paste in tight corridors?

As long as your GM lets the Chunky Salsa rule apply to stuns, yes.

If your GM doesn't let the CS rules apply to stuns, get a better GM.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
No that's flat out correct actually; in most (all?) editions, stun damage overflows unto physical once it maxes out and there are definitely rules for explosions bouncing back and doing more damage in tight spaces (because of course there are). Depending on your GM you could almost definitely vaporize someone by putting them in a broom closet with a stun grenade

e: what I'm saying here is that "less-lethal" is an extremely relative term

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

No that's flat out correct actually; in most (all?) editions, stun damage overflows unto physical once it maxes out and there are definitely rules for explosions bouncing back and doing more damage in tight spaces (because of course there are). Depending on your GM you could almost definitely vaporize someone by putting them in a broom closet with a stun grenade

e: what I'm saying here is that "less-lethal" is an extremely relative term

The explosion reflection stuff is the Chunky Salsa rule. Whether it applies to stun grenades is I guess a rules as written vs rules as intended argument

anyways here's a funny picture of an ork because shadowrun rules

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 19, 2023

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

One of my players made a character once who was just the most insufferable little gently caress who wanted to be a badass shadowrunner, then he absolutely loving botched an attempt to throw a grenade on his first run, dunked it directly into the water beside himself (that he was in), was very nearly killed by it, then left the business after profusely thanking the rest of the party for not just letting his near corpse float in the water until it became an actual corpse.

My own personal favorite character I've played was a CAS army dropout who went AWOL after beating the poo poo out of her CO for harassment. They were a decker who lived in their VAN down by the RIVER and was a belligerent gently caress to everyone while barely making ends meet shadowrunning and doing what amounted to VCR repair because they couldn't stop buying new guns they thought were awesome even though they couldn't use any of them for poo poo.

Basically,

TGLT posted:

shadowrun rules

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 19, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

TGLT posted:

The explosion reflection stuff is the Chunky Salsa rule.

I believe that rule is referenced in a few different places and is a general-purpose "if your GM takes one look at the situation and sensibly says 'sorry, pal, but you're dead,' then sorry pal, but you're dead" rule. Like, if you take a direct hit from a tank's main battle cannon... you're not rolling soak dice, you're simply dead.

But the stun grenade thing, because of how damage overflow works, can actually vaporize someone even if the GM insists on rolling all the dice and doing all the calculations, because Shadowrun is a goofy as gently caress game system.

In conclusion,

TGLT posted:

shadowrun rules

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/SeaSaltShrimp/status/1725973216563167607

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Spyro's concerned expression really makes this perfect

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

They added the Sphere to Spyro?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

At first I didn't see the character in the background holding a hammer, so I thought they were holding their hands over their head in shock at what they were seeing

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It appears that the gradual development of tools has permitted greater modding for Spec Ops: The Line, resulting in this recently released full reworking, which may(?) include a new plot.

Spec Ops: Eternal Penance

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

TGLT posted:

The explosion reflection stuff is the Chunky Salsa rule.

This is now my second rule in gaming.

My favorite rule is still from the board game Dungeon Petz. When an older pet in that game is not purchased by any player and is removed from the game, they are taken to a farm somewhere to live out their life. In a completely unrelated turn of events, one piece of meat is placed into the food area. These two events are not connected. It's just a rule.

As an advanced option, the piece of meat can be replaced with a gold coin for the golem, vegetable food for the plant monster, or nothing at all for the ghost. Again, these events are not connected, they're just a rule.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A mod for Thief 1: Gold has just been released that is, in practice, an entirely new full game with expanded and improved mechanics throughout:

[30 Nov 2023] The Black Parade -- RELEASE THREAD

https://twitter.com/skacky/status/1730270967971102817

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
https://twitter.com/VRBobbie/status/1731074793230004230

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

A mod for Thief 1: Gold has just been released that is, in practice, an entirely new full game with expanded and improved mechanics throughout:

I have just spent 2 hours on the first level of this mod, and you should go play it now. now now now now now.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Discendo Vox posted:

Mandalore did an excellent spotlight of this mod on his YT channel

In other news, dude responsible for "white Wyll" mod for BG3 and "white Sosiel" for WotR striked again, this time with "Sir Aylin" mod, changing Dame Aylin gender. It was never stated clearly why, but mod was part of "No Alphabets" modpack which should explain a lot. It got nuked from Nexusmods almost instantaneously.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Szarrukin posted:

It got nuked from Nexusmods almost instantaneously.

lmao

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Szarrukin posted:

Mandalore did an excellent spotlight of this mod on his YT channel

In other news, dude responsible for "white Wyll" mod for BG3 and "white Sosiel" for WotR striked again, this time with "Sir Aylin" mod, changing Dame Aylin gender. It was never stated clearly why, but mod was part of "No Alphabets" modpack which should explain a lot. It got nuked from Nexusmods almost instantaneously.

Just so I'm current with my hate group vocabulary, is "No Alphabets" meaning "No LGBTQ+" but also racist?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

CzarChasm posted:

Just so I'm current with my hate group vocabulary, is "No Alphabets" meaning "No LGBTQ+" but also racist?

The racism is usually also there with no LGBTQ+ to be honest it's just a quieter part

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

"Alphabet soup" is (or at least was, for a while) occasionally used as a derogatory euphemism for any and all forms of intersectionality. So yeah, it's queerphobia but also racist, and occasionally misogynistic

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Nexus has come a long way from the endless front page pedo mods.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

This is great!

Now what I want is to get The Dark Project running again, don't care much for gold but it's the only version available on the digital store fronts.

Should check if I could find the original disk, it might not have rotted yet.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Splorange posted:

This is great!

Now what I want is to get The Dark Project running again, don't care much for gold but it's the only version available on the digital store fronts.

Should check if I could find the original disk, it might not have rotted yet.

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140679

Converts Thief Gold to The Dark Project.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What's the difference between The Dark Project and Gold?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s2x91fbqfB1qejutx.mp4

Y'know, what was really getting me about this video wasn't the mod itself, but the music choice. It's like, "They picked Flo Rida's Whistle because it sounds like a peppier version of End of Small Sanctuary?" :psyduck:

As it turns out, though...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Full voice, new gfx, a few levels

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
My guess for the downgrade is because the new levels added to Thief Gold aren't considered to be very good, but maybe there's other reasons.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Max Wilco posted:

My guess for the downgrade is because the new levels added to Thief Gold aren't considered to be very good, but maybe there's other reasons.

Thief Gold is Thief as it was always meant to be!

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Personally, yeah..and the creature addition into the bonehoard rubbed me the wrong way. Basically it's just that the dark project is the version I played and fell in love with. I think the game's paced better in its original form.

I don't begrudge anyone thinking otherwise.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I only ever played TDP demo and then gold so ¯\_(ツ)_/

Tangent:
If I beat the usa psx silhouette mirage when it came out is there any reason to play the romhacks?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Max Wilco posted:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s2x91fbqfB1qejutx.mp4

Y'know, what was really getting me about this video wasn't the mod itself, but the music choice. It's like, "They picked Flo Rida's Whistle because it sounds like a peppier version of End of Small Sanctuary?" :psyduck:

As it turns out, though...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_(music)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

What's the difference between The Dark Project and Gold?

All of the Thief games have had horrendous project management/publisher abuse problems and were chainsawed into a near-complete state for release by cutting large parts of the core story (and/or by inserting similarly unfinished filler missions). They're also far jankier than anything in the current era of game design; it says something about how good they are that people are able to push through that jank.

The Dark Project was the original release of Thief 1, so raw that it basically was missing half its second act. Gold was a "complete edition" released later that included significant changes to the original missions and three additional ones that had been cut from initial development. One of these new missions is generally considered very good, one of is considered weird and not very thief-like, and one is the most infamously confusing and overlong slog in the initial trilogy (which, given that a mission playthrough in thief is often more than an hour long, is really saying something). Changes to the original missions included new enemies and alterations to make it so certain puzzles can't be softlocked, among other things. It's mainly controversial for the unpleasant new missions and because it swapped a bunch of enemies in one of the old missions for plot reasons.

Objectively speaking, unless you're a crazed greybeard superfan, though, Gold is probably what you want. The games are already difficult enough to get working and play through as it is.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 10, 2023

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

finally some good loving food

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Not sure who Harry Du Bois is supposed to be, but this is clearly Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Sorry Trader

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Waiting for Lord Inquisitor Measurehead.

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/53577

oh hell yes

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z9kwHIUb2k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88