Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
New policy from Labour: trains are illegal now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

domhal posted:

New policy from Labour: trains are illegal now.

that was a spelling mistake on the press release

duffield's gonna be furious

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

She's already furious because she got blacklisted from re-election for being antisemitic lol

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
What antisemitism did she do?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-67654360

quote:

French national living in Leicester for 42 years faces deportation

A retired chip shop owner has been ordered to leave the UK after living in Leicester legally for more than 40 years.

Leonarda Zarcone, 74, is a French citizen who applied for EU settled status after Brexit.

Ms Zarcone told the BBC she missed the deadline to provide more information because an email ended up in a "junk folder".

The Home Office said in a letter it had made several attempts to contact her.

Ms Zarcone said it was "the shock of my life" to hear that she had lost her right to live in the UK.

She found out she did not have residency from an immigration officer at East Midlands Airport on her return from a family wedding in France in September.

She was eventually allowed through border control with a 28-day visitor stamp.

:(

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'll go if she doesn't want to

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/vicderbyshire/status/1732914013791481959

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'll go if she doesn't want to

Get out of my head!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Owned for the crime of living in the UK.

Although honestly the new settled status, as long as you could get it, is significantly more secure than freedom of movement, since it's basically ILR with longer allowed absence from the UK. Whereas with freedom of movement you could be deported for all sorts of things - this usually wasn't a major issue since you wouldn't be banned from re-entering, but UK often paired it with a lengthy immigration detention.

E.g. this Polish guy who killed himself for being imprisoned detained in a detention centre for a while for failing to find work and killed himself the day his british partner gave birth:

Polish man, whose partner gave birth the day he died, is believed to have killed himself at Morton Hall removal facility, the third such death in a matter of weeks

Graun posted:

According to other detainees, the man who died this week is thought to have killed himself after being refused bail just before Christmas. His partner, whose pregnancy was too advanced to attend the bail hearing, gave birth to the couple’s son on the same day he died.

The detainees said the man who died was “young and quiet, never causing any trouble. He spent his time watching TV, playing games and at the gym.” They added that the mood at the centre was very low after his death.

Detainees said the man had not committed any crime in the UK and that he had sought medical help for mental health problems.

Compared to that settled status/ILR lets you stay in the UK unless you commit a serious felony, with ties to the UK (particularly family in the UK) taken into account and increasing the length in prison required for deportation.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 8, 2023

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017
This is my probably annual reminder that if you're stuck for a christmas present idea or just want to do something good then https://www.goodgifts.org/ does the job. It's a lot easier than trawling through amazon et al, and hopefully does something useful instead of filling the world up with even more plastic and unwanted junk. And if you're itching for a right barney over christmas dinner get Uncle Gammon an immigrant welcoming gift! And if you don't then there are loads of categories so you can usually find something that even the most wizzen-hearted grouch can't object to.

It might even inspire the recipient to do the same (worked for a relative who now gifts donations to an animal sanctuary for christmas).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What antisemitism did she do?

Google won't stop giving Eddie Izzard results but basically she liked and retweeted something comparing the existence of trans people to the holocaust.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the actual issue she should have been suspended for is being ridiculously transphobic constantly, but nobody in Labour cares about that, so it was just unfortunate for her that 90% of transphobes also believe that Jewish doctors are turning children into gay lizards and she ended up agreeing with something actionable.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Tesseraction posted:

Google won't stop giving Eddie Izzard results but basically she liked and retweeted something comparing the existence of trans people to the holocaust.

Starmer figuring out what to do about this must be like asking a calculator to divide by zero.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Abandoning someone in their time of need is like second nature for him at this point.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

It looks like izzard tweeted or otherwise said Nazis murdered trans people so guess who popped up to make a dig which was only anti Semitic if you're basically never allowed to mention the war. And she retweeted that. She was being transphobic but not anti Semitic so... Well bye.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Keith has now flip-flopped on wanting to shag Thatcher

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh so in Glasgow she's bad.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It looks like izzard tweeted or otherwise said Nazis murdered trans people so guess who popped up to make a dig which was only anti Semitic if you're basically never allowed to mention the war. And she retweeted that. She was being transphobic but not anti Semitic so... Well bye.

Oh well I just remember that the issue was that what she said was seen as insensitive to the plight of those killed in the holocaust, so I guess it's only slightly less awful about the holocaust.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If liking a mural that repeats some dodgy Rothchild and illuminati tropes is 1 antisemitism, then spending all day mired in an ideology invented by Alfred Baeumler, modernized by Derrick Jensen, and spread via the 'thought' hubs of David Icke, Alex Jones, Viktor Orbán, and Ian Miles Cheong should be at least 4 or 5 antisemitisms.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I missed this from yesterday
https://twitter.com/Datamanone/status/1732886058826715250

:allears:

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
They couldn't see him from the peephole

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Probably been posted here before, but I just heard this on 6Music and it immediately made me think of the UKMT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anlghGgWuAs

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Less awkward than the weird jeering noises that the press are embarrassing themselves with :nallears:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

You can see when the autopilot is switched off.
It's around the 1 minute 15 second mark.
Then she starts talking about "well we gave Rwanda money and they said they'd build a proper appeals process to asylum applications. "
And it says "Driving Off."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://x.com/solhugheswriter/status/1733065736552055171?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

bleak lol

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1733123426267590742

I heard about this the other day. I had no idea it had caused so much damage

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Fatty posted:

Probably been posted here before, but I just heard this on 6Music and it immediately made me think of the UKMT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anlghGgWuAs

Can confirm, this goes. I had a UKMT-related chuckle at "choking down some gammon" alright.

My one note - the bit about snorting coke through a note with the Queen's face seems like a missed opp for an Elizabeth Line reference

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And for anyone who doesn't want to click a link to the nazi pedophile website to read a screenshot of a snippet of an article from the Morning Star:

"Solomon Hughes posted:

Rachel Reeves: investing in infrastructure?

Rachel Reeves convened a new British Infrastructure Council at the end of November, promising it would help Labour create a “once in a generation set of reforms to accelerate the building of our country’s critical infrastructure and to build housing too.”

This is how Reeves intends to “kick start growth.” But look closely at the company representatives on Reeves’s British Infrastructure Council and something stands out.

Reportedly, the businesses on the British Infrastructure Council are Lloyds — a British bank; HSBC, a British bank; Santander, a Spanish bank; Fidelity Investments, a US investment manager; Blackrock, a US Investment manager; M&G, a British investment manager; CPP Investments, a Canadian pensions investor; CDPQ, another Canadian pensions investor; Border to Coast, a British pensions investor and Phoenix Group, a British insurance and investment firm.

None of these firms build infrastructure. They are money managers. They don’t know how to dig a ditch or erect steel or lay cable. Instead, they know how to own firms that dig ditches, erect steel or lay cables: the infrastructure council is there to advise how a Labour government can work with private investors.

As Reeves says, this “infrastructure council” is about working with “key investors” — not key infrastructure builders or managers.

Reeves says that “through Labour’s new National Wealth Fund, we will work alongside the private sector to back the growth of British industry.” She wants these private investment advisers to tell her how to invest public wealth from her National Wealth Fund.

Reeves says this is a win-win, as public investment will stimulate private investment. According to Reeves “for every pound of public investment, we will leverage in three times as much private investment, while also getting a return for the taxpayer.”

But will the taxpayer do well? CPP for example, own 32 per cent of Anglian Water — the privatised firm fined millions of pounds for pumping filth into our rivers, while paying tens of millions to their shareholders, including CPP.

Blackrock is a — somewhat smaller — investor in Severn Trent, a water firm also known for simultaneously pumping dividends to shareholders and filth into rivers. HSBC and Lloyds history of investing in public sector infrastructure is a grim one — they were both major players in the PFI, a rip-off.

Lloyds representatives are currently suing London’s Whittington Hospital, demanding £56 million from the NHS. NHS bosses don’t want to pay for the PFI because the contractors wouldn’t agree to safety repairs after a fire in the hospital basement.

The big danger is that the financial firms on the “infrastructure council” will argue for publicly supported investment that, like PFI, leaves them with the profits and the public sector with the bill.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Mere plebes may look at the NHS struggling under billions of PFI debt and think 'Well that was a poo poo idea' but clearly we're not as savvy as noted political genius Rachel "Efficiency And Progress Is Ours Once More" Reeves

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’ll say it again. You do not in any way gotta hand it to Blair but there was, at least, in 1997 a quite pleasant sense of joy at the Tories imploding into poo poo, and optimism about a young, fresh Labour government coming in and doing something positive. Like a fart in the breeze it didn’t last long but it was nice to experience.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

yeah tony blair literally had "things can only get better" as a song whereas these cunts just keep telling us things will be poo poo and should loving appreciate it

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Last year I was able to get a Covid booster by booking online and saying yes to "I live with someone older" and got it no questions asked on-site. I did it again this year, same place, arrived through the door but got turned away because "that isn't enough".

To be fair, I'm not actually elligible according to the rules (but do live with over-65's), but be consistent with the chancing or just stick a needle in a willing body in your otherwise utterly desolate schedule.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
court has ruled that the uk government was entitled to veto the gender recognition reform in scotland. this is a bad country

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1733153526056890667

:toot:

Szmitten posted:

Last year I was able to get a Covid booster by booking online and saying yes to "I live with someone older" and got it no questions asked on-site. I did it again this year, same place, arrived through the door but got turned away because "that isn't enough".

To be fair, I'm not actually elligible according to the rules (but do live with over-65's), but be consistent with the chancing or just stick a needle in a willing body in your otherwise utterly desolate schedule.

I got mine this year by lying that I was in regular contact with someone who was immunocompromised and undergoing chemotherapy.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Tories really going in hard for those reform votes

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Szmitten posted:

Seems ridiculous when it is running riot and many people don't actually want one.
I've actually had two random strangers comment (negatively) on me wearing a mask when minding my own business in town in the past week.

Yesterday was "I don't know why you bother, we've all got it". So I said "I might have something worse" answer "No one cares anymore". (This from someone who was probably 70+)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nobody cares which is why I'm pestering you about it.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Tesseraction posted:

yeah tony blair literally had "things can only get better" as a song whereas these cunts just keep telling us things will be poo poo and should loving appreciate it

Labours next election song will be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpZAcrZqcFU

Funka
Jan 4, 2006
I'm always the only person wearing a mask at my GP surgery :(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Nobody cares which is why I'm pestering you about it.
It's amazing that instead of it creating an East Asian style culture of wearing masks anyway during flu season just in case, it created a culture of harassing people deciding to wear them. Because of freedom or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Around my way most people are keeping a reasonable distance in queues which is something, I guess

I still stand several feet away from people when talking to them but I never did like wearing masks (never had an issue with someone else wearing one tho)