Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Very excited for this thread to play BG3, I really want to emphasize how fun it is with friends. I honestly have zero motivation to play it on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

ColdPie posted:

Bg3 seems cool but I'm pretty sure I'll hate it. $70 is a tough sell. Dunno.

I 100% appreciate everything that it does, but it is also 1000% not my kind of game. Want more games like it to exist though for sure.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

I 100% appreciate everything that it does, but it is also 1000% not my kind of game. Want more games like it to exist though for sure.

Yeah I love that something like this is getting so much attention instead of the lame HBO miniseries simulator crap that we've been flooded with for over a decade. But I keep hearing on podcasts and from friends that the game is bad about respecting player time (lots of eh dialog, combat can be repetitive, easy to fail fights in lame ways, bugs) and that's a huge No Thanks for me. So I think it's probably not for me, but I dunno, maybe I'd get into it? Wait for a sale I guess.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Crafty posted:

I mainly play games to get ladies

It isn't working so far

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Crafty posted:

I play games to get away from ladies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Crafty posted:

The chicks love BG3, if my recommended feed is to believed.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ColdPie posted:

Bg3 seems cool but I'm pretty sure I'll hate it. $70 is a tough sell. Dunno.

Just popping into this thread to say that if you are down with the genre and setting that it's easily worth the $70. You'll get multiple playthroughs out of it if holds your attention.
Anyways I'm glad Xbox owners finally got access to it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crafty posted:

https://x.com/ClaireMax/status/1732482851957076392

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

If you have Game Pass Ultimate, Immortals of Aveum Deluxe Edition can now be bought for 8 bucks!

The regular edition is 40 bucks, if you prefer that one instead.

I just bought it a week ago for $40. :negative:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Digital Foundry found that the series S version of Aveum ran at a more consistent 60fps than Series X, but also has such a low resolution it looks like Doom sometimes.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

External Organs posted:

Digital Foundry found that the series S version of Aveum ran at a more consistent 60fps than Series X, but also has such a low resolution it looks like Doom sometimes.

The Series S release runs at 436p, yeah.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Crafty posted:

This is actually what Baldurs Gate 3 is about

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

John F Bennett posted:

If you have Game Pass Ultimate, Immortals of Aveum Deluxe Edition can now be bought for 8 bucks!

The regular edition is 40 bucks, if you prefer that one instead.

Nice. I'll give it a whirl for $8.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
If anyone picks up BG3 on series S I'd love to hear performance reports. I already got it on PS5 and they said they're gonna put in cross play but I'm impatient and might double dip to play sooner with my sister. Thinking I'm getting it for her this week as an early Christmas surprise. Love that you can gift games right from the console.

Also I know hype is tiresome and all, but it's the real deal. Get it if you have even a passing interest in heavily narrative games, immersive sims, or turn based combat.

Also its a very beefy game, but it most assuredly does respect your time. No trash encounters, every location is loaded with detail both in cool loot as well as angles of approach and and there's definitively no content I'd categorize as filler in the game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I feel like everyone who praises BG3 never actually got out of Act I.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The cool thing that sets BG3 apart from even other exemplary CRPGs in the genre is that there are basically zero trash fights. Every single encounter in the game is its own event each with at least half a dozen different approaches depending on your party makeup, environmental hazards, dialogue choices, player class, abilities, and preparation. A fight that results in a huge all-out brawl in one campaign can be completely bypassed in another. You can make 95% identical choices from one game to the next and still have a totally different experience depending on the luck of the die and the order in which you do quests. BG3 is just insanely video gamey in the best possible way, and you'll consistently tread the line between feeling like a tactical genius and an idiot.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Sorry trying to get A on every level on Rollerdrome, which I play on GamePass

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

American McGay posted:

I'm well into the second act atm. And by the time I make it to act III their aggressive patch schedule will probably have obliterated any remaining issues. Game is huge. I don't even know how normal people have done multiple runs at this point.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

unattended spaghetti posted:

I'm well into the second act atm. And by the time I make it to act III their aggressive patch schedule will probably have obliterated any remaining issues. Game is huge. I don't even know how normal people have done multiple runs at this point.

[placing a gentle hand on your shoulder] they're nerds

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

[placing a gentle hand on your shoulder] they're nerds

I was trying to be nice lol

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

External Organs posted:

Twerk from Home posted:

The Series S release runs at 436p, yeah.

I checked and they've been constantly patching the game:

https://mentalmars.com/game-news/immortals-of-aveum-patch-notes/

That's a big list adding QoL improvements and more gameplay stuff since release. For 8.99€ I picked it up, I don't mind being lower resolution but it seems that it's not THAT bad with patches. Hell, Metro Exodus on Series S is super low resolution and does the trick for me but then I have one of these small travel screens (15.6") so it's like going back to 1997 lol

Edit: Dead Space Remake and this one both for 18€ is crazy and found that thanks to this thread. I hope EA keeps throwing their stuff like that.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

unattended spaghetti posted:

If anyone picks up BG3 on series S I'd love to hear performance reports.

Know Maurice. Love Maurice.
(Looks fine)
https://youtu.be/Oltbc5c0bWc?si=fQrri-yTAwS6PNTs

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Cyberpunk + Phantom Liberty is like $53 on sale right now FYI!

Microsoft finally got my issue solved (couldn't add a phone number) and I was finally able to redeem my gift cards. They promised me they'd honor the BF price and the guy checked and was like "oh... it's even cheaper now lol." Worked out!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

If I'm going to armchair quarterback this, Immortals made a big mistake by targeting 60fps. Digital foundry called out that neither the PS5 nor Series X can actually sustain 60fps, and they are running some effects at half rate anyway so some entities animate at 30fps anyway.

On Series S, it just doesn't have the juice to do 60 on anything but last gen or intentionally simple titles, the recipe for Series S success is a rock solid 30fps and using a scaler to scale up to 1080p or maybe even 1440p.

Didn't Immortals both try to hit 60 and scale up to 4K? It's just targeting too many pixels.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I wish there was a 30fps version of immortals of Aveum. 30fps felt totally fine on Starfield (but the game was a butt)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Targeting 60fps is never a mistake :hai:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Harlock posted:

This is actually what Baldurs Gate 3 is about

Seriously the entire trailer on the xbox store is about loving lol

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

lmao not even Phil knows how to spell the game correctly

https://x.com/XboxP3/status/1733171820302647748?s=20

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Baldur's Gate 3 is like a once in a decade game, and one of the best RPGs I've ever played. The reactivity to your choices alone is something to behold. Vague spoilers about end game bosses, no names or details or any real story spoilers though: in most games, if one of the big bads approached you and was like "you know what, we should actually work together to stop the greater threat," you'd have the choice of saying "gently caress you" or "you have a good point," but then something would go wrong in a cutscene and you'd get the same fight regardless. In BG3 you can be like "okay sounds good" and it will dramatically change how you approach the final boss.

It's a massive game with tons of content, but you can also choose to play the game differently every time and see new poo poo. It's absolutely insane how many weird edge case choices they accounted for, including stuff that, until the last few patches, people weren't even sure were intended or valid choices.

It's not a perfect game but the post-release support has been extremely good, pretty much all of my issues from playing the game post-release on patches 1/2 have been resolved and they keep on patching and improving still. Game is absolutely worth $69 US dollars but I bet you'll be able to get it at a minimum of ye olde standard of 59.99 during whatever Christmas sales Xbox has.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

American McGay posted:

I'm loving it and definitely deep in Act 1, but also I feel like Act 1 is worth $70 on its own. I'm at like 60 hours of playtime and at this rate I'm gonna have to treat each act like a different game in a series so I can take breaks in between and play something else for a bit.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

lmao not even Phil knows how to spell the game correctly

https://x.com/XboxP3/status/1733171820302647748?s=20

It bothers me so much. It isn't even a long or hard word lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

If I'm going to armchair quarterback this, Immortals made a big mistake by targeting 60fps. Digital foundry called out that neither the PS5 nor Series X can actually sustain 60fps, and they are running some effects at half rate anyway so some entities animate at 30fps anyway.

On Series S, it just doesn't have the juice to do 60 on anything but last gen or intentionally simple titles, the recipe for Series S success is a rock solid 30fps and using a scaler to scale up to 1080p or maybe even 1440p.

Didn't Immortals both try to hit 60 and scale up to 4K? It's just targeting too many pixels.

Lazy Devs

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

perhaps these bumblefuck creators could refrain from utilising the full suite of UE5 game-slowing features

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

perhaps these bumblefuck creators could refrain utilising the full suite of UE5 game-slowing features

I wonder if it was EA telling them to use UE5 instead of UE4 or even Frostbite or was just the dev team trying to achieve something that clearly wasn't possible.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Guillermus posted:

I wonder if it was EA telling them to use UE5 instead of UE4 or even Frostbite or was just the dev team trying to achieve something that clearly wasn't possible.

Any devs on UE5 at this point are trying to get an awareness bump from being in the first wave of UE5 games, and are going to try to milk that for sales. They had to turn on all the shiny stuff.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Any devs on UE5 at this point are trying to get an awareness bump from being in the first wave of UE5 games, and are going to try to milk that for sales. They had to turn on all the shiny stuff.

And there I am, a grumpy user that will turn off blur/bloom/lens flare/chromatic aberration the instant I see the toggle available in every game

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I'll give them credit though, Hellblade 2 looks incredible.

Watched the Sega thing again (new Jet Set Radio looks so loving good) and while it's awesome they're revisiting all these IPs and their classic style, I do think the new Streets of Rage looks a bit odd and is an unusual decision when Streets of Rage 4 is so awesome and I'd have thought they'd want those devs back making number 5? Weird choice.

They seem to be committing to this for the coming years and hinted there's more stuff in the works which has me hoping there's also a traditional arcade Sega racing game coming sometime, because a Daytona USA/Scud Race style arcade racer would be really refreshing. The glimpse we got of the new Crazy Taxi looked great.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hellblade 2 is one of the few games to be at the awards for multiple years in a row and still not have a release date.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don’t think Sega knows what the gently caress it’s doing. I honestly feel like all these things they showed last night were originally meant to be included in their “supergame” they’ve been touting for the last 5 years that recently got revealed to be just Payday in space with Overwatch heroes where you steal Sonic the Hedgehog funko pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they can do whatever the gently caress they want if they keep churning out yakuza games every year lol