Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah if it comes down to it Arizona will tell the cotton and sorghum farmers to pound sand before just disbanding Phoenix.

They'll even provide the sand, free of charge!

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah if it comes down to it Arizona will tell the cotton and sorghum farmers to pound sand before just disbanding Phoenix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Lol, that's just the DFW metroplex (ie King of the Hill's setting) nowadays thanks to climate change, much less Phoenix.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I visited my folks in Phoenix recently (from the PNW) and the whole time I was thinking, "this city might just make this whole desert thing work... and if they don't, it'll be one amazing catastrophe".

The Moon Monster posted:

But yeah, it'll probably be this.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

MarcusSA posted:

Eh it’s not that big of a deal really.

Vegas recycles a gently caress load of water.

https://youtu.be/4U1TkIdDbRA?si=8JNZiUTIzfAaKV70

If anyone really cares that video goes into a lot of detail about how Vegas actually does things. It’s incredibly interesting.

I was more talking about California and Arizona.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The celebrity podcast deals always smelled funny. Not sure if the money was guaranteed or if they had to produce X amount of product, but it never seemed to make business sense. Maybe Spotify thought buying up rights to a bunch of high profile people kept competitors from getting exclusives, but I'm not sure if there are competitors for a Prince Harry podcast.

It's been hilarious to watch. Harry and Meghan had a 20 million dollar deal, and over nearly three years they produced one 12 episode interview series, and one holiday episode. They were supposed to have made a ton of other poo poo. Ava DuVernay signed a multimillion dollar year with Spotify as well and it fell apart without her ever recording anything at all. And they're trying to draw new talent while their biggest success remains Joe Rogan, who is just actively harassing people these days, like having his fans go to his enemy's houses and poo poo, over anti-vax beliefs he gets from platforming RFK Jr. And while that's going on, they're trying to like... convince Michelle Obama to stick around. It's gonna be fun to watch it all crash.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

I was more talking about California and Arizona.

Oh yeah I absolutely agree with that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The podcast stuff was Spotify’s attempt to turn a profit. They’ve been making losses with the music business for years. Turns out it costs a lot to maintain the technology, operations and compliance of a music platform. Tidal makes a loss, Apple Music likely does as well.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Vegetable posted:

The podcast stuff was Spotify’s attempt to turn a profit. They’ve been making losses with the music business for years. Turns out it costs a lot to maintain the technology, operations and compliance of a music platform. Tidal makes a loss, Apple Music likely does as well.

theres nothing wrong with trying to make a profit through podcasts but paying tens of millions of dollars to get celebrities with no experience to make them was catastrophically stupid. such a strangely ignorant and disdainful view of the medium and listeners, like the execs thought the field was crappy nobodies and they could clean up with nothing but name recognition

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

theironjef posted:

It's been hilarious to watch. Harry and Meghan had a 20 million dollar deal, and over nearly three years they produced one 12 episode interview series, and one holiday episode. They were supposed to have made a ton of other poo poo.
Didn't it also turn out that they were like not at all involved most of the time to the point where other staff were doing the actual interviews?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

Somehow Spotify leads everyone in subscribers, pays some of the lowest royalties per stream, and still can’t make a profit.

Apple absolutely loses money on streaming, but unlike Spotify, Apple sells phones with a 30% profit margin.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Krispy Wafer posted:

Somehow Spotify leads everyone in subscribers, pays some of the lowest royalties per stream, and still can’t make a profit.

Apple absolutely loses money on streaming, but unlike Spotify, Apple sells phones with a 30% profit margin.

Yeah it's like how Microsoft loses money on Xbox but who cares, they have Windows and Office and everything else.

(IIRC Xbox is still losing money anyway, it might be profitable with game pass now though)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Platystemon posted:

Unless these golf courses exist inside Biosphere II or equivalent, they are not recycling water.

Well it sort of depends. There has been a lot of regulatory issues allowing its use which complicates things. The public courses in Pima all pretty much use gray water, but the rules make it difficult for private courses to follow suit, even if they want to (which they probably don't).

https://azdeq.gov/recycled-water-rulemaking

history of recycled water in Arizona (this is pretty blatant propaganda but it does cover the history): https://wrrc.arizona.edu/reuse-whats-in-store

There is movement to change the rules, and Phoenix claims they are going to start using recycled water as drinking water next year, but, well, they say a lot of things when it comes to water conservation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rags to Liches posted:

Yeah it's like how Microsoft loses money on Xbox but who cares, they have Windows and Office and everything else.

(IIRC Xbox is still losing money anyway, it might be profitable with game pass now though)

With Xbox in particular it's basically a back and forth depending on whether the factions who want to break into the console business have a say and also haven't managed to catastrophically gently caress things up this week.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Ghost Leviathan posted:

With Xbox in particular it's basically a back and forth depending on whether the factions who want to break into the console business have a say and also haven't managed to catastrophically gently caress things up this week.

Yeah, it seems like Xbox does better the less anyone tries interfering with what Phil Spencer is doing from what I can tell, it seems to me that the fuckups happen more often when he has to deal with other people at Microsoft.

(it's also entirely possible I'm reading it wrong though!)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm pretty sure that for the longest time, Nintendo was the only game company that actually made profit on the console itself. They were generally considered loss leaders because all the money came from games and accessories.

Unless I'm remembering wrong.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes Nintendo has always had consoles that will turn a profit on sale and not have to rely on being a loss leader. They are also the only company that is pretty rare to have any sales on their software.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes Nintendo has always had consoles that will turn a profit on sale and not have to rely on being a loss leader. They are also the only company that is pretty rare to have any sales on their software.

I might be misreading this, but Nintendo sells a poo poo ton of their software? Mario, Zelda, etc etc.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Duckman2008 posted:

I might be misreading this, but Nintendo sells a poo poo ton of their software? Mario, Zelda, etc etc.

They might mean that there isn't a lot of licensing fees? All the big sellers on Nintendo consoles are games Nintendo developed or technically isn't developed by Nintendo but is from studios they own.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

No theyre saying that Nintendo games still cost 60 dollars 10 years after they launch

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm pretty sure they mean their games rarely go on sale. As in Nintendo never has a Summer sale where all their games are 20% off.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Correct

Launch Switch games are still pretty close to original price

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Duckman2008 posted:

Nintendo profits from the console in addition to the huge profits from both their own and licensed software

(Whereas the other companies took a loss on the hardware but made it up on licensing/storefronts)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot easier if you don't try to grow loving rice and almonds in the desert.

It's best if settled, agricultural-industrial civilizations don't live in deserts. There's a reason they stayed away from deserts for 5000 years until they discovered fossil fuels. It's just not going to work. No matter what happens, eventually most of the people in the American west will have to leave.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Platystemon posted:

Unless these golf courses exist inside Biosphere II or equivalent, they are not recycling water.

<gestures toward Lake Mead>

Don't care how much "recycling" they claim to do, it ain't gonna fix that

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Woolie Wool posted:

It's best if settled, agricultural-industrial civilizations don't live in deserts. There's a reason they stayed away from deserts for 5000 years until they discovered fossil fuels. It's just not going to work. No matter what happens, eventually most of the people in the American west will have to leave.

The faith production is incredible of you manage the to snag desert folklore though

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

Nintendo profits from the console in addition to the huge profits from both their own and licensed software

It has to help that a bunch of older-console (NES/SNES/N64) games are available on the platform, too. Although they had some genuine gently caress-ups in the past, don’t think they’re ever too smart to fail at making a console (or games for it).

Seriously, does anyone even remember the Virtual Boy in all its red-framed glory? It sat between the SNES and N64, and was a catastrophic failure on all counts. It got pulled after a year, and only 22 games were ever made for it (2 Mario games, no Zelda, no Metroid).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Boy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Boy_games

More recently was the WiiU, which I didn’t realize was a separate system to the Wii until after the Switch had been released for a while :v:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Icon Of Sin posted:

It has to help that a bunch of older-console (NES/SNES/N64) games are available on the platform, too. Although they had some genuine gently caress-ups in the past, don’t think they’re ever too smart to fail at making a console (or games for it).

Seriously, does anyone even remember the Virtual Boy in all its red-framed glory? It sat between the SNES and N64, and was a catastrophic failure on all counts. It got pulled after a year, and only 22 games were ever made for it (2 Mario games, no Zelda, no Metroid).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Boy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Boy_games

More recently was the WiiU, which I didn’t realize was a separate system to the Wii until after the Switch had been released for a while :v:

The same kid on the block who owned a Vectrex instead of a normal console also had a Virtual Boy. He only had one game for it, and he was real snobby about letting people play it. I think I only got a single turn on it. It was that game where you shoot a ball against a wall or something? I don't even remember now. I thought it was awful at the time but was so shocked by *technology* that I couldn't not be in awe of it and impressed by my friend for it

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Virtual Boy can be emulated with modern VR stuff and I have heard that some of the games are pretty OK once you get away from the terrible stock headset? I did not watch the video below, just skimmed it, but it shows what I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nme6wZV8W1Q

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm pretty sure that for the longest time, Nintendo was the only game company that actually made profit on the console itself. They were generally considered loss leaders because all the money came from games and accessories.

Unless I'm remembering wrong.
The typical trajectory was that consoles were loss-leaders at launch, then gradually switch to being profitable over their life as manufacturing processes get optimized. Nintendo would use older/cheaper chips to begin with so that the first units were also profitable.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

credburn posted:

The same kid on the block who owned a Vectrex instead of a normal console also had a Virtual Boy. He only had one game for it, and he was real snobby about letting people play it. I think I only got a single turn on it. It was that game where you shoot a ball against a wall or something? I don't even remember now. I thought it was awful at the time but was so shocked by *technology* that I couldn't not be in awe of it and impressed by my friend for it

I had a Virtual Boy. I got it really cheap after they discontinued it and I think I was only able to find 3 games for it, Tennis and I can't remember what else.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Virtual Boy was kind of like Laserdisc. The fire burned quick but man it burned bright when it first came out

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

vyst posted:

Virtual Boy was kind of like Laserdisc. The fire burned quick but man it burned bright when it first came out

Laserdisc was actually around for like 20 years.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Basticle posted:

Laserdisc was actually around for like 20 years.

Yeah but only weird people cared about it after those first couple of years.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Do... do you know where you're posting?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It was far more popular and long lasting in the Japanese market I think

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah but only weird people cared about it after those first couple of years.

I own >100 laserdiscs and watch them. Probably 5 in the last 30 days.

I also own a virtual boy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've always had a fascination with laserdisc but that's probably because any friend of a friend who was rich had one. Or that one time we actually got invited to eat at the McMansions built across the street in what was a humble blue collar neighborhood when my grandpa bought his house there.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Rick posted:

I've always had a fascination with laserdisc but that's probably because any friend of a friend who was rich had one. Or that one time we actually got invited to eat at the McMansions built across the street in what was a humble blue collar neighborhood when my grandpa bought his house there.

I feel this way about the 3do and other primordial cd consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

It also quickly burned your retinas.