Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Count Roland posted:

I took that shaving scene differently. I didn't view it as Royce finally taking the race seriously, so much as showing he was out of touch. The shaving was interspersed with Tony running around town glad handing. One guy working hard, the other focusing on superficial appearances. Royce had been in power too long and was too comfortable. We saw that in other ways he mishandled the campaign, like by alienating the wheelchair guy out of pride.

That was my point! He says he is bringing his "A Game" and it is just more empty superficial poo poo. He really thought he was unbeatable, and this "effort" was just showing how out of touch and detached he'd become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I love Royce's reaction to the Hamsterdam scandal.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
My favourite reaction is when Herc tells Valchek about the Mayor. Valchek's laughter about the prime piece of info Herc has. Like he wishes he had something like that himself but he's too old to bother with that so decides to give this young guy some free advice. It's almost heartwarming.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

My favourite reaction is when Herc tells Valchek about the Mayor. Valchek's laughter about the prime piece of info Herc has. Like he wishes he had something like that himself but he's too old to bother with that so decides to give this young guy some free advice. It's almost heartwarming.

Yeah this was fantastic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Royce's relief that Herc actually didn't do TOO bad on the Sergeant's Exam and there's actually some justification for giving him a promotion also cracks me up.

Plus, it makes it hilarious when an outsider like Prop Joe gets a snapshot of Herc's life and seen from afar it actually looks like Herc might be a dangerous, well-connected and competent detective :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyewqmAKHto

:rip: Robert Chew.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pepper, Pepper and Bay Leaf is a loving choice gag, speaking of.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I bet you there’s a loving police detective somewhere else looking at a table full of heads right now.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

escape artist posted:

They're loving great. One of my favorite bands ever. And yes, I discovered them via The Wire.

Get into them now before Shane MacGowan dies and everybody jumps on the bandwagon.

Hope y'all did your homework. :( RIP Shane MacGowan

vvv AWESOME vvv

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 30, 2023

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
lovely thread from David about meeting Shane backstage

https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1730222176924491854

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 30, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Shane McGowan licked my friend's face backstage 20 years ago.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
The owner of the place I work was in today. He's Irish. He's really into being Irish. He's in a band that plays Irish music. I saw him in the kitchen and offered my condolences, assuming he was a bit bummed.

And that's how I had a really poo poo awkward conversation with my boss as he had somehow been there all day but not online and hadn't seen the news.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I... also haven't seen the news?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Count Roland posted:

I... also haven't seen the news?

Shane MacGowan died.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watching The Crown and it's so weird seeing McNulty as Prince Charles.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://youtu.be/XBL2Wq5YjSw?feature=shared

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Watching The Crown and it's so weird seeing McNulty as Prince Charles.

I saw an interview with him about The Wire and it really threw me off hearing him with an English accent

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

I saw an interview with him about The Wire and it really threw me off hearing him with an English accent

It's gonna sound mean, but I'm surprised at how good he is in The Crown. He wasn't really called on to do a lot of capital-A Acting in The Wire outside of some stellar drunk acting.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I remember McNulty in Richard III with Ian McKellan where he plays Henry the IV before he's Henry IV

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Watching Punisher War Zone after The Wire threw me a bit. He chews some scenery in that movie.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

His "fake" accent during the prostitution sting was 2x lol after finding out he was british

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Everyone go watch Centurion. It has some excellent Dominic West.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Conversely, watching The Wire for the first time and being very confused about Scrooge's nephew Fred showing up drunk in Baltimore.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Where’s tiny Tim at? Where he at, spirit??

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
His best performance was as a paparazzo in Spice World.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Ainsley McTree posted:

This America, man.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

The Dickensian aspect.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
His best is in The Crown where he goes to his mother and she says the crown always comes first and we smash cut to the next morning where he puts down the paper, the headline about Diana's crash and he looks up straight into the camera and says "the gently caress did I do?"

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqSGFaBI9PM

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Dominic West playing Fred West was too creepy.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

HootTheOwl posted:

His best is in The Crown where he goes to his mother and she says the crown always comes first and we smash cut to the next morning where he puts down the paper, the headline about Diana's crash and he looks up straight into the camera and says "the gently caress did I do?"

He did some great acting there for sure but I just can't buy even uglified Dominic west as prince Charles (a natural ugly).

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There's a moment in the latest season where he's just sitting there with his roommate after Diana died, about how Mi6 had evidence of the infidelity and he was going to get his divorce. You can see the disappointment on his face, not because she died but because he couldn't hurt her with it. He just sits there downtrodden and says "I had her, Bunkmate, I had her on the wire and she doesn't even know it"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

HootTheOwl posted:

There's a moment in the latest season where he's just sitting there with his roommate after Diana died, about how Mi6 had evidence of the infidelity and he was going to get his divorce. You can see the disappointment on his face, not because she died but because he couldn't hurt her with it. He just sits there downtrodden and says "I had her, Bunkmate, I had her on the wire and she doesn't even know it"

"who the gently caress was i divorcing?"

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I work at a college library, and someone from another library requested our collection of the wire the other day. :thumbsup:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
They really went all out on those covers.

Also I don't associate that logotype with the show at all, but in retrospect I guess I'm not surprised they didn't go with stark white monospaced intro credits font.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Listening to music and just came across this. Sonja Sohn doing spoken word over house beats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRv3LcvYScE

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Wiltsghost posted:

Listening to music and just came across this. Sonja Sohn doing spoken word over house beats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRv3LcvYScE
If you (or anyone else) hasn't seen it, the late 90s Slam is a movie that's worth a watch. It's not quite a "good" movie--it's so 90s that it's a little embarrassing, most of the characters never quite get that third dimension, and it's clearly just a vehicle for this "new" art form the scriptwriter just discovered--but it also features Sonja Sohn opposite Saul motherfuckin Williams, and it succeeds in its setpieces. Most of the poetry is solid (and so is most of the acting) even if the film around it is stitched together with way-too-much Elmer's glue.

Samples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5J1q6FIlQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSR7H580e5U

(e: Sorry for the lovely video quality.)

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 18, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm watching Season 2 of Reacher and I just wanted to say that Domenick Lombardozzi is completely stealing every scene he's in. Give him a spin-off.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm watching Season 2 of Reacher and I just wanted to say that Domenick Lombardozzi is completely stealing every scene he's in. Give him a spin-off.

Agreed. He's just about the only convincing actor on the show

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
it should be a show where he's a bodyguard and nothing happens day in and day out, guarding some politician or celebrity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

He climbs the ladder by walking in on a series of increasingly embarrassing sex acts