Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

imo there is nothing wrong with the art but I would not underline that it is the Sexy, Busty Dark Sorceress or what-not. Leaning into camp is the better choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Leraika posted:

tbh I would be incredibly uncomfortable at a table where the gm kept parading out cheesecake spellcaster art and going on about how evil sorceresses had to be sexy

Or, hypothetically, a thread where a poster kept parading out "what movie is low-key underrated?" twitter engagement-farm prompts with the same inflection.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

Leraika posted:

tbh I would be incredibly uncomfortable at a table where the gm kept parading out cheesecake spellcaster art and going on about how evil sorceresses had to be sexy

I wouldn’t make all the NPCs sexy, just the evil sorceress. Otherwise it loses it’s narrative effect.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Ferrinus posted:

Or, hypothetically, a thread where a poster kept parading out "what movie is low-key underrated?" twitter engagement-farm prompts with the same inflection.

what the gently caress are you on

e: like seriously, why are you using my comment about what I find uncomfortable in gaming to do some weird bit about threads you don't like

Leraika fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 8, 2023

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Nessus posted:

imo there is nothing wrong with the art but I would not underline that it is the Sexy, Busty Dark Sorceress or what-not. Leaning into camp is the better choice

Makes sense.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Leraika posted:

what the gently caress are you on

e: like seriously, why are you using my comment about what I find uncomfortable in gaming to do some weird bit about threads you don't like

Well, I thought there was a parallel to be drawn between off-putting behavior in a game and off-putting behavior in a discussion about games. It's nothing personal.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Horny should not be a crime, if someone wants their character art to be cheesecake who gives a poo poo. As long as buddy ain't getting freaky at the table and GMing one handed there's nothing wrong with it.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

Horny should not be a crime, if someone wants their character art to be cheesecake who gives a poo poo. As long as buddy ain't getting freaky at the table and GMing one handed there's nothing wrong with it.

I agree. It’s actually a an early hallmark of the original fantasy genre.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
lmao

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

My understanding is that most artists will give you cheesecake unless you specifically request that they don't, because that's the industry norm.

I once commissioned a drawing of a woman in a flight suit and the artist, on his own initiative, made it buttoned open at the top to show cleavage. (Which wasn't really wrong for what I was going for, but I hadn't asked for it.) A different artist I commissioned art of one my Night's Black Agents characters from, meanwhile, didn't really cheesecake it up at all. In conclusion: character art commissions are a land of contrasts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

I agree that horniness is not itself a crime.

What is off-putting is injecting horniness where it wasn't invited. The TG chat thread is one such place. I don't think Trapstar was excessively horny when posting the character art and asking for character impressions - hell, I responded with creative input along with others - and the image itself is not NSFW really.

However, now that we know they intentionally commissioned the art to be sexy, that colors the original post as marginally creepier. Not the image: the posting of it, here, soliciting commentary.

The subtext becomes "hey everyone, here's some sexy erotica art I commissioned, it turns me on, let's talk about how turned on we are" and most of us are not into group horniness chat in the general chat thread. That subtext may well be unintentional.I want to give Trapstar the benefit of the doubt that that is not their intention. But "I asked for DD boobs on purpose" and "a sorceress should be SEXY" kind of undermines that doubt.

trapstar posted:

I agree. It’s actually a an early hallmark of the original fantasy genre.

The creators of the original fantasy genre being completely dominated by straight white men, of course.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Leperflesh posted:

The subtext becomes "hey everyone, here's some sexy erotica art I commissioned, it turns me on, let's talk about how turned on we are" and most of us are not into group horniness chat in the general chat thread. That subtext may well be unintentional.I want to give Trapstar the benefit of the doubt that that is not their intention. But "I asked for DD boobs on purpose" and "a sorceress should be SEXY" kind of undermines that doubt.
Speak for yourself. I criticized his art for having bland faces and posing, not because it had anime titties.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is there not a thread where people can share character art and talk about it?

I know this is chat, which is like the most catch-all of threads, but that feels like a topic that merits its own thread for people who care about it.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

CitizenKeen posted:

Is there not a thread where people can share character art and talk about it?

I know this is chat, which is like the most catch-all of threads, but that feels like a topic that merits its own thread for people who care about it.
I made the tell me about your character thread for exactly this purpose.

The problem is the same with all low-traffic specialty threads. Nobody wants to post in a corner where they won't get any replies. They want to discuss with the whole group.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I'm glad that Trapstar is putting some painter's kids through college, I just want to feel less like I'm taking part in an A/B test meant to optimize an in-app purchase UI somewhere.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

mellonbread posted:

Speak for yourself. I criticized his art for having bland faces and posing, not because it had anime titties.

I'd like to reiterate that I don't think the image itself is a problem, at least not for me. It's not an NSFW image. But the comments add context and I'm guessing at least some folks will find it more sort of borderline creepy as a result. Maybe not. :shrug:

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

What is off-putting is injecting horniness where it wasn't invited. The TG chat thread is one such place. I don't think Trapstar was excessively horny when posting the character art and asking for character impressions - hell, I responded with creative input along with others - and the image itself is not NSFW really.

However, now that we know they intentionally commissioned the art to be sexy, that colors the original post as marginally creepier. Not the image: the posting of it, here, soliciting commentary.

The creators of the original fantasy genre being completely dominated by straight white men, of course.

The reason I made her have a sultry air about her is because that is a general trope when regarding evil sorceresses. I didn’t intend to create lewd wank off material though. More than half of my commissions are male characters, I see commissioning fantasy art as more an “appreciation for the art” style of hobby rather than as a “masturbation material” thing. Although I have no qualms about having an “alluring” character commissioned if it fits the theme of the subject.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

trapstar posted:

I didn’t intend to create lewd wank off material though. More than half of my commissions are male characters…

I uh, well, how do I say this.

It makes me sad that I, as a dude, can’t be sexy lewd wank off material.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

trapstar posted:

The reason I made her have a sultry air about her is because that is a general trope when regarding evil sorceresses. I didn’t intend to create lewd wank off material though. More than half of my commissions are male characters, I see commissioning fantasy art as more an “appreciation for the art” style of hobby rather than as a “masturbation material” thing. Although I have no qualms about having an “alluring” character commissioned if it fits the theme of the subject.

thanks, and I appreciate that's your honest intent

I don't think you can ignore the history of horny straight white dudes postin' their boob preferences in main though, even if you're innocent of that, some folks are likely to jump to a reasonable conclusion or two

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I think it helps if the painting of the pointedly attractive/sultry sorceress has anything else visually interesting going on, like, hint at the rest of the characterisation, what the character's deal is besides having responded to the job posting for final encounter in the wizard tower. If she's drawn to be alluring because that's appropriate for the theme, there should probably be a strong thematic direction beyond just being alluring. For RPG setting art in particular I think it's important that it's got something distinctive tying it to the setting or situation or something so it doesn't look like it came from a fantasy stock photo catalog. If the composition looks like a photoshoot for an article listing for a Yennefer halloween costume, it's easy to get the impression that we're just here to male-gaze at that leg.

This might be a personal problem but imo the worst thing for fantasy art is when I have to look really closely to figure out if the illustration is supposed to depict something that's described on the page or if it's just generic mood-setting decoration.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 8, 2023

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Vanadium posted:

I think it helps if the painting of the pointedly attractive/sultry sorceress has anything else visually interesting going on, like, hint at the rest of the characterisation, what the character's deal is besides having responded to the job posting for final encounter in the wizard tower. If she's drawn to be alluring because that's appropriate for the theme, there should probably be a strong thematic direction beyond just being alluring. For RPG setting art in particular I think it's important that it's got something distinctive tying it to the setting or situation or something so it doesn't look like it came from a fantasy stock photo catalog. If the composition looks like a photoshoot for an article listing for a Yennefer halloween costume, it's easy to get the impression that we're just here to male-gaze at that leg.

This might be a personal problem but imo the worst thing for fantasy art is when I have to look really closely to figure out if the illustration is supposed to depict something that's described on the page or if it's just generic mood-setting decoration.

Haha, yeah. I tried to give her a bit of uniqueness by giving her purple eyes (A trait of the Darkflame bloodline) but also one of my big directions for the artist was the magic in the hand and the glowing staff to really showcase her power as an extremely potent sorcerer/mage. I think they did a good job an illustrating the raw aura of her extreme magical power.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I gotta say that I don't feel amazing about "alluring = specifying a specific cup size for my commissioned villain art" chat or "I commission art of normal dudes but the ladies need to be SEXY" chat

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'm not sure this whole discussion is heading in a healthy direction

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

trapstar posted:

Haha, yeah. I tried to give her a bit of uniqueness by giving her purple eyes (A trait of the Darkflame bloodline) but also one of my big directions for the artist was the magic in the hand and the glowing staff to really showcase her power as an extremely potent sorcerer/mage. I think they did a good job an illustrating the raw aura of her extreme magical power.

Ok but like, you remember how we were talking about how she likes musicals and only drinks white wine and so on, like, personal details? "She's magic" is very generic and purple eyes are, unfortunately, not very personal or specific either. The staff and purple stuff helps us to understand she's a magic user of some kind but fantasy art is loaded with magic users with staffs and purple magic stuff.

I think commission artists also get bored. Give them something new to do and you might get interesting results. Write a bio for your character and then pick out the stuff that makes them different. Perhaps she has a child. You never see the evil sorceress hauling around an infant while she does her stuff. Why not? Maybe she's got a hobby. Whittling. She likes whittling little figures. Give her a whittling knife and put some shavings around and some little carved snails. What if she has a tattoo of a snail? She's not a druid, she just likes snails. They're cool.

If you want a character portrait to stand out, give them something you've never seen in a fantasy art before. It almost doesn't matter what. I can't even imagine paying an artist to produce artwork that is basically the same as all the random fantasy art you can find online already.

Years ago I played a 4e minotaur barbarian in a PbP game here on SA. I had described him as constantly smoking a pipe. Google image search for pipe smoking minotaur and you don't get much of anything. If I commissioned an art of him, I'd want the pipe, and also maybe the bread & honey & cup of milk he liked to order at bars, and maybe also his goblin friend who always called him "cow." That's non-generic, interesting, fun, characterful. The pipe made him seem more of a thoughtful, introspective fellow (which is how I played him) rather than the typical barbarian stereotype of a raging beefcake with bad table manners.

That'd be my suggestion anyway.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 8, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It might be useful if we had some kind of thread for people looking to commission art for game characters, mood stuff for games, stuff for their own projects, etc. I don't know if this gets too overlapping with SA-Mart and I can certainly understand concern that it would become a cavalcade of cheesecake, etc. If people felt generous they could even flag their various knights and goblins as "use this freely, Trad Games."

One thing that's come up for me, kind of a chicken-and-egg thing really, is that a lot of artists are looking for a design/concept sheet to start with.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah we've had a very long running fantasy art thread, the "hot modrons" thread is around here somewhere. Folks have attempted "let's make & share & talk about character art" threads once or twice, with not much engagement, too. There are artists looking for commissions in SA-Mart which I'd encourage people to seek out.

e. Here's the art thread Hot Modrons 2: Polyhedral Boogaloo! [TG Art Thread]

which I see trapstar is crossposting in with just one response

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Ok but like, you remember how we were talking about how she likes musicals and only drinks white wine and so on, like, personal details? "She's magic" is very generic and purple eyes are, unfortunately, not very personal or specific either. The staff and purple stuff helps us to understand she's a magic user of some kind but fantasy art is loaded with magic users with staffs and purple magic stuff.

I think commission artists also get bored. Give them something new to do and you might get interesting results. Write a bio for your character and then pick out the stuff that makes them different. Perhaps she has a child. You never see the evil sorceress hauling around an infant while she does her stuff. Why not? Maybe she's got a hobby. Whittling. She likes whittling little figures. Give her a whittling knife and put some shavings around and some little carved snails. What if she has a tattoo of a snail? She's not a druid, she just likes snails. They're cool.

If you want a character portrait to stand out, give them something you've never seen in a fantasy art before. It almost doesn't matter what. I can't even imagine paying an artist to produce artwork that is basically the same as all the random fantasy art you can find online already.

Years ago I played a 4e minotaur barbarian in a PbP game here on SA. I had described him as constantly smoking a pipe. Google image search for pipe smoking minotaur and you don't get much of anything. If I commissioned an art of him, I'd want the pipe, and also maybe the bread & honey & cup of milk he liked to order at bars, and maybe also his goblin friend who always called him "cow." That's non-generic, interesting, fun, characterful. The pipe made him seem more of a thoughtful, introspective fellow (which is how I played him) rather than the typical barbarian stereotype of a raging beefcake with bad table manners.

That'd be my suggestion anyway.
I kinda do that a little. I got a commission of a bandit character I played in the past [pictured] because I noticed a severe lack in good fantasy bandit art. I thought it was very strange that something that’s such a common enemy in TTRPGs would be so hard to find good art for.

Antivehicular posted:

I gotta say that I don't feel amazing about "alluring = specifying a specific cup size for my commissioned villain art" chat or "I commission art of normal dudes but the ladies need to be SEXY" chat

Not all the ladies I commission need to be sexy. For example here is an older queen NPC I had commissioned for my campaign setting.

trapstar fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 8, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

^^^ - solid bandit

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah we've had a very long running fantasy art thread, the "hot modrons" thread is around here somewhere. Folks have attempted "let's make & share & talk about character art" threads once or twice, with not much engagement, too. There are artists looking for commissions in SA-Mart which I'd encourage people to seek out.

e. Here's the art thread Hot Modrons 2: Polyhedral Boogaloo! [TG Art Thread]

which I see trapstar is crossposting in with just one response
Oh aye and it contextualizes these too. I'd seen it in the past but it fell off.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Leperflesh posted:

Leper if that's the subtext you read that's a you problem. Trapstar posted "Give me some quirks she can have" not "give me some quirks that correspond to her cup size" or whatever weird poo poo you're reading into it.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol what is happening itt. trad games goons see breast and its loving over

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

Leper if that's the subtext you read that's a you problem. Trapstar posted "Give me some quirks she can have" not "give me some quirks that correspond to her cup size" or whatever weird poo poo you're reading into it.

You're probably right, just a me problem.

bewilderment posted:

That's not random art, that's art you specifically commissioned? To look specifically like that?

lol

Drone posted:

So when commissioning male gaze booby art, do you have to specifically say exactly how much boob you want your OC to have, or do you just say "make her booby" and the artist sort of picks that up and runs with it?

Leraika posted:

Antivehicular posted:

Sorry, I'll just disregard these folks and not speculate further.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I mean, if everyone is okay with it, that's fine and I'm not going to shut conversation down. That wasn't intended as a mod statement, just a personal one.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Leperflesh posted:

You're probably right, just a me problem.

Sorry, I'll just disregard these folks and not speculate further.

Even with the additional context, it still seems like the OP was looking for other character traits for his cheesecake sorceress to have in addition to the trope.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Certainly, 100% agreed on that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't even have anything to add to the discussion trapstar prompted, I just think it's cool that someone has the will and the werewithal to support an actual artist in a hobby which is usually awash with AI prompts. Whenever he asks for some input about a piece I just kind of shrug and mumble something about vibes I guess before tabbing out because I've decided that wouldn't be a constructive thing to post.

That said,

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol what is happening itt. trad games goons see breast and its loving over

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If you come up with the other character traits first then you will have more information to feed the artist other than "Big ol' titties".

Had a lot of words here that I'll compress to:

There's a tonal difference between "this guy is a king and old, the rest of his personality is irrelevant so draw whatever" and "these melons are huge and barely contained, nothing else really matters so draw whatever". The second one reads skeevy outside of drawing literal wank material and if you don't get why then lol.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 9, 2023

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Runa posted:

I don't even have anything to add to the discussion trapstar prompted, I just think it's cool that someone has the will and the werewithal to support an actual artist in a hobby which is usually awash with AI prompts. Whenever he asks for some input about a piece I just kind of shrug and mumble something about vibes I guess before tabbing out because I've decided that wouldn't be a constructive thing to post.

That said,

Haha, artists are actually really great to people to work with once you get to know them. I’ve never worked with an artist who didn’t seem to me like a really nice/chill/genuine person.

Splicer posted:

If you come up with the other character traits first then you will have more information to feed the artist other than "Big ol' titties".

Had a lot of words here that I'll compress to:

There's a tonal difference between "this guy is a king and old, the rest of his personality is irrelevant so draw whatever" and "these melons are huge and barely contained, nothing else really matters so draw whatever". The second one reads skeevy outside of drawing literal wank material and if you don't get why then lol.

I actually asked them to make her seem haughty, you can kind of see the confidence in the way she holds herself.

trapstar fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 9, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

trapstar posted:

you can kind of see the confidence in the way she holds herself.
Not really no, there's 0 personality in her expression or stance. It's an extremely generic "showing off the goods" pose, and not even a "she's showing off her goods" pose.

On the specific, nothing about her head positioning, stance, or (lack of) expression says "haughty". She's extremely lifeless, like a posed mannequin.

It's not even good cheesecake

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
do you HAVE to paint the ghosts in warhammer green or can you do your own thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Splicer posted:

Not really no, there's 0 personality in her expression or stance. It's an extremely generic "showing off the goods" pose, and not even a "she's showing off her goods" pose.

On the specific, nothing about her head positioning, stance, or (lack of) expression says "haughty". She's extremely lifeless, like a posed mannequin.

It's not even good cheesecake

I’d say her pose indicates confidence. It also wasn’t primarily intended to be cheesecake.