Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
This more likely is just more poo poo to keep things tied up and appealed to delay, delay, delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This is a meidas touch tweet. Does anyone have a link to the actual filing?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

This is a meidas touch tweet. Does anyone have a link to the actual filing?

It's in the Courtlistener docket. I think this is a direct link.

Those are some good billable hours for them attorneys today, yessiree.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Oh heck yeah dude, you should definitely ignore any motions or deadlines. I'm sure that won't come back to bite you in the rear end.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

nerox posted:

They are not Electors unless they are from the Electorč region of France, otherwise they are just sparkling voters.

Perhaps we call them “illegal electors”? Could just shorten that to “illegals.”

Nitrousoxide posted:

Because the compact would likely create a permanent Democrat presidency (at least for the forseeable future) since they have only lost the popular vote one time since 1988.

I’m not saying you’re wrong but a thing to keep in mind is that voting totals and electoral energy will go very different places under a nationwide vote. Right now nobody has a reason to really campaign in a deep red or blue state, or really work up the GOTV machine unless there are local elections someone cares enough to push for.

Now, it’s a good argument that that might help Democrats even more, as GOTV is more effective in urban areas which also tend to be blue. But it’s just a caution that you can’t take total votes from an election run with an EC and say who would’ve won a nationwide vote any more than you can, say, watch a 14-6 football game then afterward say “if field goals were worth 10 points then Team B would’ve won”

The Bible
May 8, 2010

cr0y posted:

https://twitter.com/meiselasb/status/1732846174137426266?t=qSPZrbmXhfA1MWTTLVE5HQ&s=19

So Trump is basically saying "You aren't gonna actually throw me in jail so gently caress off".

He isn't wrong, though. They'll threaten him and fine him inconsequential amounts of money, but there's no reason to believe the court will hit him with any real penalties.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Cimber posted:

If they were from South Florida would they be fabulous voters?

The correct term is fabulist electors, a small but key difference.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

The Bible posted:

He isn't wrong, though. They'll threaten him and fine him inconsequential amounts of money, but there's no reason to believe the court will hit him with any real penalties.

The truth is he's on new legal ground. These cases will set a precedent til the end of the American Empire and possibly beyond. This might seem bad to people like us that dislike him and know what he really represents, but it might be helpful to a future Democratic president that gets tangled up in these same problems.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lpzie posted:

The truth is he's on new legal ground. These cases will set a precedent til the end of the American Empire and possibly beyond. This might seem bad to people like us that dislike him and know what he really represents, but it might be helpful to a future Democratic president that gets tangled up in these same problems.

In any future scenario in which any former or current president faces this many separate criminal indictments, such that they are "tangled up in these same problems," either they deserve what's coming to them OR democracy is already over and America has become a post-judicial dictatorship anyway.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

me, walking into the boxing ring to square up against a brick shithouse with trains for fists: ahem, absent further punches from my opponent, heh, i am clearly the winner of this match

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the gently caress is up with your av

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lpzie posted:

He is not on new legal ground

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The Bible posted:

What? He will absolutely suffer in real and tangible ways if he just blows past discovery deadlines or doesn't file motions in opposition to stuff the prosecution is doing.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Karia posted:

The correct term is fabulist electors, a small but key difference.

:golfclap:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1732905571593126090

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There's some polls that show about about 10% of voters are open to supporting Trump, but wouldn't if he was convicted of a felony. Whether those people are telling the truth, how reliable the polling is, and if they still feel that way a year later are all open questions.

There are people like this but no loving way it's 10% of voters. 2% maybe.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm pretty confident being convicted would be more beneficial for him than acquittal, as it would really ratchet up that persecution complex and need to drain the swamp!

I'm personally really excited to see the motion to dismiss on the grounds of ELECTION INTERFERENCE! because it is absolutely going to be a real motion filed in a federal united States of America court on behalf of Donald J Trump.

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 8, 2023

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

democracy is already over and America has become a post-judicial dictatorship anyway.

Accurate

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm pretty confident being convicted would be more beneficial for him than acquittal, as it would really ratchet up that persecution complex and need to drain the swamp!

I'm personally really excited to see the motion to dismiss on the grounds of ELECTION INTERFERENCE! because it is absolutely going to be a real motion filed in a federal united States of America court on behalf of Donald J Trump.

For his base, it would only help to solidify their wildest conspiracy theories. Elsewhere it would further narrow the eye of the needle he needs to thread in order to actually win. Convicted Felon Trump isn't picking up any votes, but the conviction will certainly lose him some that he can't afford to lose.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cr0y posted:

https://twitter.com/meiselasb/status/1732846174137426266?t=qSPZrbmXhfA1MWTTLVE5HQ&s=19

So Trump is basically saying "You aren't gonna actually throw me in jail so gently caress off".

I guarantee you that Trump's lawyers are still working on that case exactly as if this filing had never been made. You're missing the really important part, "absent further order of the Court". The Court is obviously going to issue a further order consisting of "yeah, no, that's bullshit, we're continuing", and Trump's lawyers will return to the case with one more long-shot argument to raise at appeal.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Asproigerosis posted:

I doubt this strongly. It would rally his stupidest supporters but would erode the more middle-of-the-road R voters who would otherwise go along for the ride.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The main issue is turnout and I don't think anyone can accurately guess whether a conviction would dampen or increase turnout for an overt fascist like Trump. I would hope it's the former but I also thought it would be nearly impossible for an avowed rapist game show host to become President of the United States.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Exclusive: Pro-Trump lawyer Kenneth Chesebro cooperating in multiple state probes into 2020 fake electors plot

quote:

The pro-Trump lawyer who helped devise the 2020 fake electors plot and already pleaded guilty to the conspiracy in Georgia is now cooperating with Michigan and Wisconsin state investigators in hopes of avoiding more criminal charges, multiple sources told CNN.

In a dramatic turnaround from 2020 – when the lawyer, Kenneth Chesebro, was at the center of efforts by former President Donald Trump to subvert the Electoral College and overturn his defeat – Chesebro is now helping investigators in at least four states who are looking into the scheme.

Chesebro’s cooperation in Wisconsin is the first indication the state attorney general’s office has launched its own investigation into the false slates of pro-Trump electors. Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul, a Democrat, has not publicly announced that an investigation is underway.

Chesebro also recently testified to a grand jury in Nevada, where indictments against six fake electors were announced Wednesday by state prosecutors. Additionally, Chesebro has been in contact with prosecutors in Arizona, where he plans to sit for an interview as part of that state’s ongoing investigation into fake electors.

CNN has previously identified Chesebro as an unindicted co-conspirator in special counsel Jack Smith’s federal indictment against Trump, where the former president is charged with organizing the fake electors scheme “to disenfranchise millions of voters” and unlawfully remain in power. There is no indication Chesebro is cooperating in the federal probe, or that Smith has ruled out charges against him.
Chesebro has entered into what’s known as proffer agreements in several states, which gives him some protection from prosecution, according to multiple sources. His cooperation with investigators in Michigan and Wisconsin has not been previously reported.

But cooperating with state prosecutors does not guarantee Chesebro will avoid criminal charges in one or all of the ongoing investigations, the sources cautioned.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

I guarantee you that Trump's lawyers are still working on that case exactly as if this filing had never been made. You're missing the really important part, "absent further order of the Court". The Court is obviously going to issue a further order consisting of "yeah, no, that's bullshit, we're continuing", and Trump's lawyers will return to the case with one more long-shot argument to raise at appeal.

I know Chutkan has already issued orders to have this matter briefed but I'm curious on if she actually had to? Does every motion require a response? How timely does it have to be?

Could Chutkan just have ignored Trumps assertion that all schedules were stayed and continued on with DoJ meeting the scheduled deliverables and Trump not and then just before trial deny this motion and let DoJ move to have Chutkan offer summary Judgement as Trump has not disputed any of DoJs factual assertions or legal arguments?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I really doubt the judge will respond directly to the final line in Trump's motion to stay proceedings pending appeal in any way. It's not the court's responsibility to tell the defendant how to run their defense except once they are in violation of something.

They'll just listen to opposing arguments and make a holding (presumably to not stay the proceeding since I've not seen any compelling argument for why Trump's motion should be granted by any legal commenter). If Trump still wants to just ignore the case then the judge will only respond when he fails to do something he's required to.

Truthfully, unless there's some ongoing discovery requests from the prosecution against him, there's probably, strictly speaking, nothing Trump would have to technically do in that case. He could just sit on his hands, not file any proposed schedules or witness lists or anything and not show up for trial. That wouldn't violate any rules of procedure probably. It'd just really hurt his chances of success though.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Truthfully, unless there's some ongoing discovery requests from the prosecution against him, there's probably, strictly speaking, nothing Trump would have to technically do in that case. He could just sit on his hands, not file any proposed schedules or witness lists or anything and not show up for trial. That wouldn't violate any rules of procedure probably. It'd just really hurt his chances of success though.

So the legal equivalent of sticking his fingers in his ears and going 'blah blah blah I can't hear you!"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

cr0y posted:

Hes not wrong. They won't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm not sure whether he has to show up or not. Technically it's his trial and he can waive his own presence and consent to be tried in absentia. In practice however failing to attend your criminal trial typically results in a revocation of bond. Not sure what the specific rules applying here would be.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure whether he has to show up or not. Technically it's his trial and he can waive his own presence and consent to be tried in absentia. In practice however failing to attend your criminal trial typically results in a revocation of bond. Not sure what the specific rules applying here would be.

Perhaps I guess. There could be a local rule for this court or his bond agreement could require him to show up for the trial. That is possible since the court would want to be able to detain him if he's found guilty.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The main issue is turnout and I don't think anyone can accurately guess whether a conviction would dampen or increase turnout for an overt fascist like Trump. I would hope it's the former but I also thought it would be nearly impossible for an avowed rapist game show host to become President of the United States.

Nobody is leaning Trump, but just can't get past his lack of convictions.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

FMguru posted:

Yeah, the problem is that those 3:1 Democrat-tilting young voters all move to the same six blue high-population states.

If Dems were more tactically shrewd they'd start a gofundme campaign to get 200,000 dem voting Californians to move to each swing state.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gyges posted:

Nobody is leaning Trump, but just can't get past his lack of convictions.

It's okay, soon Trump will have plenty of convictions.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trump gag order reinstated but narrowed in Jan. 6 case

quote:

A federal appeals court narrowed an order limiting what former president Donald Trump can say about people involved in the criminal case alleging that he tried to subvert the 2020 election results, saying he cannot talk about witnesses’ involvement or single out other individuals in ways likely to interfere with the case.

“We do not allow such an order lightly. Mr. Trump is a former President and current candidate for the presidency, and there is a strong public interest in what he has to say,” Judge Patricia Millett wrote for the unanimous three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit. “But Mr. Trump is also an indicted criminal defendant, and he must stand trial in a courtroom under the same procedures that govern all other criminal defendants. That is what the rule of law means.”

The ruling upholds a ban on Trump speaking about witnesses’ participation in the investigation and likely testimony but allows other attacks on those figures. Commentary on other lawyers involved in the case, as well as court staff and both groups’ family members, are barred “if those statements are made with the intent to materially interfere with, or to cause others to materially interfere with, counsel’s or staff’s work in this criminal case, or with the knowledge that such interference is highly likely to result.” And all statements about special counsel Jack Smith are now allowed.

Full document here.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I don't know how you actually divine where the line is on something like "intent to materially interfere with". Yeah obviously if he says "John Q. Witness should have his legs broken if he testifies" that's cut-and-dried, but Trump is very fond of the indirect, 'won't someone rid me of this turbulent law clerk?' kind of spiel and my very ill-informed read is that this doesn't really prepare for that possibility?

I know that the First Amendment requires a very high bar before the courts will slap limits on someone as white and rich as Trump but it's essentially impossible for statements he makes not to carry a serious chance of inciting material interference. Anything beyond the most anodyne and boilerplate "Mr Trump denies all charges and looks forward to contesting them at trial" is going to risk his supporters getting amped up enough to think some kind of Action Must Be Taken, it's the inevitable consequence of the way he campaigns, governs, and speaks to his base. Would you want to be a witness when Trump might still feel comfortable mentioning you by name? Even if he doesn't say anything specific that's putting crosshairs on you.

Frankly I feel like the fact he is a presumptive Presidential candidate is reason to increase the strength and scope of the restrictions on him. The prominence grants power. I appreciate that's never going to happen and that the courts have an extremely high bar before they'll take action to prevent speech, but at the very least I feel like it would be completely reasonable to say he may not make any public statements about any individuals involved in the trial, other than himself and his own defense team. He could still attack it as baseless, he could still say it's politically motivated and that Biden is directing the DoJ to go after him, he could still insist on his innocence and offer any number of justifications or defenses. And of course it has no bearing on any policy positions he might care to bring up. Almost none of the substantive speech at stake would actually be curtailed, he just couldn't as easily get his base even more fired up about specific individuals.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The inability to do anything about a cult leader that directs his followers implicitly rather than explicitly is why American democracy* is so good, op.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

cr0y posted:

What on earth does Coinbase have to do with any of this?

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That's where the coins are stationed.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
What else could they be referring to when they keep talking about their "base"?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s where you press the end of the ruler when measuring, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

raminasi posted:

What on earth does Coinbase have to do with any of this?

Lol I just noticed that and I have no idea. Here's some details on that particular case :shrug:

cr0y fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 9, 2023