Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
We do a toilet bowl and the winner gets 4 balls in the 1OA lottery, then we work backwards from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Another solution to tanking would be to do an auction draft, yes? That way there's no benefit to finishing last?

Genuine question, what's the advantage to a snake draft versus an auction? Time, I'm guessing? Mental effort?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
https://twitter.com/adamteicher/status/1733182562896433338?s=19

That's a beat writer for the Chiefs, guess it's time to add CEH.

Starting him is a separate question. 🤢

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Judgy Fucker posted:

Genuine question, what's the advantage to a snake draft versus an auction? Time, I'm guessing? Mental effort?

Yeah pretty much. Not everyone is willing or able to dedicate multiple hours to a draft (:sad:). Plus perceived complexity, whether that's real or imagined. Everyone understands "click highest ADP man". Not everyone knows what to do when the second guy put up for bid is, idk, Dameon Pierce.

Auctions have gotta be objectively better in terms of fairness and representing skill in the final roster. Not to whine and make excuses for my horrible management this year but in every draft I was picking like 10-12. Value was so top heavy this year. When you're picking from the likes of Saquon and Davante Adams vs CMC/JJ/Hill you're starting out behind the 8 ball. In an auction, if I want CMC, I can have CMC. Or make sure whoever gets him pays so much the rest of his roster is hamstrung.

I would love for some of my leagues to move to auction but there's no way people are going to put in the work.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Snake is also a lot easier to do in person. I wouldn’t even wanna imagine trying to do a live auction draft.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

RCarr posted:

Snake is also a lot easier to do in person. I wouldn’t even wanna imagine trying to do a live auction draft.

10 of the 12 people in our league got together, we just made it a party. Start to finish it took under two hours.

I do understand a lot of folks play with people who aren't their close personal friends, so having a big draft party is not always gonna be in the cards. But having done it this way, exactly once, I can't imagine wanting to do a snake draft.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Dropped Rhamondre when he went down. First seed in the league in both record AND PF has Zeke stashed on the bench.

:(

Feels bad man. First round playoff exit, here I come!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How did you do a draft without your whole league there?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

RCarr posted:

How did you do a draft without your whole league there?

It's all done on ESPN. The 10 of us brought laptops or tablets, and the other two were on devices somewhere else.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Judgy Fucker posted:

10 of the 12 people in our league got together, we just made it a party. Start to finish it took under two hours.

I do understand a lot of folks play with people who aren't their close personal friends, so having a big draft party is not always gonna be in the cards. But having done it this way, exactly once, I can't imagine wanting to do a snake draft.

My main league's draft already is a huge party among friends with everyone in attendance so we don't even have that excuse. People just don't want to rock the boat.

There's also a LOT of drinking so I imagine bidding would devolve into an absolute shitshow toward the end. Which is not necessarily an argument against :v:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Docjowles posted:

There's also a LOT of drinking so I imagine bidding would devolve into an absolute shitshow toward the end. Which is not necessarily an argument against :v:

Most of our league was both hammered and baked by the end of it lol. Drinking and smoking the whole time, a total blast.

hosed up enough that my good friend asked if we were listening to Kid Rock while Rage Against the Machine was playing :negative:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

coronaball posted:

https://twitter.com/adamteicher/status/1733182562896433338?s=19

That's a beat writer for the Chiefs, guess it's time to add CEH.

Starting him is a separate question. 🤢

just got him everywhere. but yeah, will he crack my starters? not sure yet

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Wouldn’t mcKinnon be the better pickup? CEH sucks rear end

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

Wouldn’t mcKinnon be the better pickup? CEH sucks rear end

mckinnon is recovering from a groin injury and isn’t gonna get 60% of the work. I don’t think CEH is super bad. guess we’ll all find out what version of him we’re getting this weekend

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Pacheco is officially out now. I grabbed CEH where I had him so I guess he gets the spot start.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
What if CEH and Zeke were who we needed to win it all in December?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

pmchem posted:

mckinnon is recovering from a groin injury and isn’t gonna get 60% of the work. I don’t think CEH is super bad. guess we’ll all find out what version of him we’re getting this weekend

Mckinnon doesn’t have a designation for Sunday so he seems good to go?

Like we saw this exact scenario last year and McKinnon was McWinnin

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

It's all done on ESPN. The 10 of us brought laptops or tablets, and the other two were on devices somewhere else.

Oh, that’s not what I meant by live lol

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

RCarr posted:

Oh, that’s not what I meant by live lol

Sorry, I'm a moron then and don't know what you mean by that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Like, doing it yourself, not everyone doing it on a computer.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

RCarr posted:

Like, doing it yourself, not everyone doing it on a computer.

Oh, I see. Dumb question: why not use one of the online platforms to do a draft? Any reason to do it pencil-and-paper or whatever?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

We did our snake draft on yahoo, I cannot imagine doing it on paper lol

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mostly so you can just do it at your own pace and relax instead of having a timer forcing people into a lovely auto draft if you take .1 second too long. You can take a break halfway through if you want. Everyone doesn’t have to sit there with their face in their computer.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

We did our snake draft on yahoo, I cannot imagine doing it on paper lol

What is unimaginable about just writing draft picks on a board, or typing them into an excel sheet that is mirrored on a tv?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 8, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I can see the appeal of doing a draft old-school, with a big draft board and everything. We were still able to pause our draft for piss and (big) smoke breaks doing it on ESPN.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Our Commish has been playing since back in the day when the commish manually calculated everything out of the newspaper on Tuesdays.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

Mckinnon doesn’t have a designation for Sunday so he seems good to go?

Like we saw this exact scenario last year and McKinnon was McWinnin

maybe he’ll be great. I really don’t know. but he’s 31 years old, one week removed from a groin injury inactive, and has 13 rushes all year for 2.3 ypc. I just can’t make him the first add here

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Whoreson Welles posted:

I’m all for anti-tanking rules but this sounds incredibly punishing if someone actually has a bad team and is doing their best.

Maybe but this literally happened to me. I won it all in 2021, then my team just went to poo poo in 2022 and I ended up with the worst record and eighth place in the draft. Didn’t bother me, I knew the rules. I tried not to be last but the team just sucked. :shrug:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

Maybe but this literally happened to me. I won it all in 2021, then my team just went to poo poo in 2022 and I ended up with the worst record and eighth place in the draft. Didn’t bother me, I knew the rules. I tried not to be last but the team just sucked. :shrug:

Sup, fellow 1st to last buddy. :hfive:

Re: tanking, I don't really care that much about it unless it also involves collusion.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I will say that I’m in a fair amount of goon leagues, but I’ve always been intrigued by the idea of a live goon draft. Not electronic, live and in person. The logistics would be a nightmare, but I think we would have a hell of a time.

If I ever won the Powerball, I’d fly the 20 team league members to Vegas or something for a live draft. 😁

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

pmchem posted:

maybe he’ll be great. I really don’t know. but he’s 31 years old, one week removed from a groin injury inactive, and has 13 rushes all year for 2.3 ypc. I just can’t make him the first add here

Yeah I am betting on the CEH side. They haven’t used McKinnon at all this year even when healthy. Will I be wrong and McKinnon scores like 35 points? Almost certainly

Silly Burrito posted:

I will say that I’m in a fair amount of goon leagues, but I’ve always been intrigued by the idea of a live goon draft. Not electronic, live and in person. The logistics would be a nightmare, but I think we would have a hell of a time.

If I ever won the Powerball, I’d fly the 20 team league members to Vegas or something for a live draft. 😁

It could be, oh, I don’t know. Some kind of “goon camp”. What could go wrong! :gooncamp:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Docjowles posted:

It could be, oh, I don’t know. Some kind of “goon camp”. What could go wrong! :gooncamp:

As long as they make the draft I don’t care what they do afterwards.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Silly Burrito posted:

Getting my regular friends to converge on a single day feels like I'm summoning a moon beast on the fifth hallow of the 8th turn of the earth on the sun's Eve. Just loving impossible.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

You guys have friends?

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Lost Rhamondre and my opponent started Zeke against me. He has Pacheco and i was able to grab CEH. This means CEH will score just as much as Zeke right? RIGHT?

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

VietCampo posted:

Lost Rhamondre and my opponent started Zeke against me. He has Pacheco and i was able to grab CEH. This means CEH will score just as much as Zeke right? RIGHT?

lol no

he’ll score MORE :unsmigghh:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Most likely Mahomes just throws 69 times and CEH does nothing (cause he sucks). But hell I am starting him in at least one league where all my RBs are dead so here's hoping

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Its either CEH or Keaton Mitchell and i already have to see Gus take all the TDs as a Lamar owner.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Yeah I’m at least starting CEH over Mattison because hey it’s 5-8 points either way.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Docjowles posted:

Most likely Mahomes just throws 69 times and CEH does nothing (cause he sucks). But hell I am starting him in at least one league where all my RBs are dead so here's hoping

Throws to who? His one receiver with the stone hands, or the other receiver with stone hands, or the TE who’s double/triple covered because all of the receivers have stone hands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Freaquency posted:

Throws to who? His one receiver with the stone hands, or the other receiver with stone hands, or the TE who’s double/triple covered because all of the receivers have stone hands?

To the one KC RB that can catch that’s what I’m saying!