Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I was the first person in the family to have a computer; Amiga 500, so much fun with Deluxe Paint back then.... i learned Guru Meditation as well. :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Just Another Lurker posted:

I was the first person in the family to have a computer; Amiga 500, so much fun with Deluxe Paint back then.... i learned Guru Meditation as well. :rock:

I learned chess using battle chess on the amiga, game ruled.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The fun part about talking about first computers is that there's basically always someone to one-up the last person. Someone will talk about their P2, I'll talk about my Apple IIe, someone will talk about their Atari, eventually you get to some old gently caress talking about punch cards.

Trying to remember a time when computers weren't poo poo and using them didn't make you miserable is excellent actually.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I dunno how talking about a computer that is older is one upping but hey. It’s just interesting and nice to think back on fun memories of early computing days.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

First computer I programmed on was a C64 (tape, no disk), but I played games at school on a Commodore PET before that (8” floppies) and there is somewhere a photo of me pushing coloured buttons on a process-control computer thing that my dad brought home in 1979.

First PC I used was my dad’s Compaq luggable, like a suitcase sized thing where one edge came off and was a keyboard, revealing a monochrome screen about 5” diagonal and the floppy drives. Played some “Olympic games” thing on that for a bit.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

priznat posted:

I dunno how talking about a computer that is older is one upping but hey. It’s just interesting and nice to think back on fun memories of early computing days.

The conversation usually becomes a (hopefully) pleasant mix of "You don't know how good you had it, not having to worry about IRQ conflicts" and "Actually, I miss the old days when things weren't poo poo." (They were.)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My first pc was a commodore 64 which led to my first experiences on the internet including this very website being thru a webtv my mom connected to the c64 monitor and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world with that experience :tipshat:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

All I will say is Atari ST owners are scum who do not belong in god’s light

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

beep by grandpa posted:

My first pc was a commodore 64 which led to my first experiences on the internet including this very website being thru a webtv my mom connected to the c64 monitor and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world with that experience :tipshat:

Quantum Link for the C64 blew my mind when I borrowed the modem my mom had for work. And then it turned into AOL!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

priznat posted:

All I will say is Atari ST owners are scum who do not belong in god’s light

What the gently caress you take that back

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BobHoward posted:

What the gently caress you take that back

NEVER!!! :haw:

(I had a friend with an ST and it was a constant battle between me and him on Amiga 500 vs Atari ST)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Only Amiga makes it possible. Those are just the facts, I don’t make the rules.

metal_ball_on_checkerboard.gif

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

GutBomb posted:

Sweet, mine too. And a bunch of tapes and a few cartridges. I played so much Omega Race on that thing. And it started me on my programming journey that now has me writing JavaScript code today. gently caress. Curse that thing. I should have had a Nintendo.

I also loved VIC-20 Omega Race as a kid.. I recently learned that the 2600 version had an extra 256 bytes of ram in the cartridge plus came with a special grip that sits on top of your standard joystick to add an extra button.

(So that you have both fire and thrust button, rather than holding up for thrust like on the VIC-20)

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

The conversation usually becomes a (hopefully) pleasant mix of "You don't know how good you had it, not having to worry about IRQ conflicts" and "Actually, I miss the old days when things weren't poo poo." (They were.)

I still remember SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 even though I haven't had to use it for at least twenty years.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tunzie posted:

I still remember SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 even though I haven't had to use it for at least twenty years.

I had forgotten that before you mentioned it and now it allll comes back lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Terrified of a post that's like "my first PC was an i5-750"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

gradenko_2000 posted:

That was the goon parts thread recommended cpu for a long while, there's probably a bunch of goons that built their first PC with one of those.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Fil5000 posted:

That was the goon parts thread recommended cpu for a long while, there's probably a bunch of goons that built their first PC with one of those.

Yeah, and if we're talking first PCs, an 18 year old now could have had an I5-2500k at 6.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Bondematt posted:

Yeah, and if we're talking first PCs, an 18 year old now could have had an I5-2500k at 6.

poo poo, I was 13 when I joined the forums so I could see that being the case. Although dorky teenagers are probably much different than what was around in the early 2000s

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

My first pc had Core 2 Duo something

Blurb3947 posted:

poo poo, I was 13 when I joined the forums so I could see that being the case. Although dorky teenagers are probably much different than what was around in the early 2000s

You're 14 now?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I think I remember my first computer at home being an Olivetti PCS42 running MS-DOS booting to DOS Shell with Windows 3.11 available, but my first time "online" was IRC in 1992, and I have no idea what system that was on.
Also, it's wild that there are still random tripod fansites.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

“I’ve only ever had a phone” is actually the scariest answer

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

No, my first PC was an i7-950 :haw:

I was 17 when I joined the forums.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Zoomers think iMacs are quintessentially retro kitsch so

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My first family PC was a brother word processor with monochrome orange and black graphics. Then a Commodore 128. My first personal x86 pc was a 486 that I bought a math coprocessor for and eventually an overclock chip that brought it up to 133mhz. :smug:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The biggest leap I ever made with a PC was going from a 100MB hard drive to 4GB. Everything else was incremental in comparison.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

priznat posted:

NEVER!!! :haw:

(I had a friend with an ST and it was a constant battle between me and him on Amiga 500 vs Atari ST)

The Amiga was really a 16-bit successor of the Atari8 platform that was doomed by Commodore's bungling, prove me wrong

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The biggest leap I ever made with a PC was going from a 100MB hard drive to 4GB. Everything else was incremental in comparison.

I would argue going from a HDD to an SSD was the largest jump one could have made. Watching programs open almost instantly was a revelation.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Cross-Section posted:

No, my first PC was an i7-950 :haw:

I was 17 when I joined the forums.

Excellent generation. I bought an i7-920 for Christmas 2008 and it was rock solid for several years until I started tinkering around with cheap Xeons from eBay and discovered I could get an X5660 to 4.6GHz if I put a huge Noctua cooler on it. I used that all the way up until 2018 when I replaced it with a Ryzen 3700X, and my younger cousin is still using it today. It's starting to run into a wall with new games because it lacks AVX support, sadly.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
My first computer was a Commodore 64, but it wasn’t mine, it was a family computer. Then a 286 and a 486 as hand-me-downs. The first PC I legit bought with my own money was a 600MHz HP Pentium III. Then I built my own Athlon XP.

I’ve been slowly reacquiring these machines and producing YouTube videos about them. I’ve actually got everything except the specific HP (8670). I’ve gotten close, but those machines don’t pop up on CL/FBM/eBay very often.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I went from 80gb to 1tb when I finally upgraded from my first emachines. Mind blowing amount of space at the time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I remember going from 800MB to 20GB and it was so awesome being able to rip both red alert CDs onto the HDD and not have to swap discs when playing my brother via IPX on a 10Mbps HUB. :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bondematt posted:

hey friend, have you considered shutting the gently caress up?

:corsair:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

hey friend, have you considered shutting the gently caress up?

:corsair:

Had a young coworker tell me his first Linux was Ubuntu 18.04. My first Linux was Slackware 3.0 on a stack of floppy disks. :smith:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mine was someone’s boot-root on a pair of floppies

I need all you children to go back to school, you’re late for the end of recess

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

:eyepop: Amazing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah first Linux I installed was 0.99p<something> and it’s all been downhill from there

I made Linux 1.2 delayed a couple of days because I was late with a patch to some AF_UNIX socket patch, but nobody cared about that poo poo then. different world

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Subjunctive posted:

PS/2s in the uni pools :argh: the 386s wouldn't boot the floppies, the 486s wouldn't recognize the HD.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
one of these days I'm gonna get a 5150 or 5160 for an april fools joke and it's going to be GREAT

I just need to a) find one with a monitor and b) find a way to write 5-1/4" disks from my modern machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Welp, I just looked up my first personal computer, like, actually in my bedroom, fully mine...

Apple Power Macintosh 6100/60AV in 1994. I was 11 and it apparently cost $5,000 in today's dollars.

No wonder why I remember people looking at me weird at the age of 11 at the local Apple User Group telling them what kind of computer I had.