Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You should always seek out a hard drive or two early on when you have a higher chance of getting Cast Screws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I go hard drive hunting when I find a recipe I want to unlock (Cast Screws for example) and then just save them if I have extras for later tiers when more useful stuff shows up.

Or I cheat myself a container of drives and skip the hunting completely.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I've never looked up the hdd locations or even remember them from play throughs, but the dune dessert has a couple with no requirements and a couple that are just power, so almost day one I can grab 4 or so to check.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Did we already have the giant excavator build?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FRYqeoRI14

I don't think I have even half the imagination required to create something like this.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Nov 14th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfDPCzHzAJw

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Klyith posted:

Alternately, you could re-engineer your overall setup like this:

That should work with no valves.

However, pipe troubleshooting is very hard to do via screenshot, I'm not 100% on what the network exactly is doing.

Mk1 pumps aren't limited to 300, they can move 600 when connected to Mk2 pipes. Pumps just do headlift.

This is from way back but I wanted to come in and let you know I did this and it had to run for ever but it's stable now so thank you so much for your help!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Roundboy posted:

I never bother scanning hdds until I unlock coal, but preferably steel. At least then I have the option for some immediate useful ones vs stuff that I will have to eventually unlock, but I won't actually use

Imagine not arrowing for stitched plate and iron wire immediately in every save start ever followed by cast screws as mentioned.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Looks like Update 8 is out on the main branch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/17v5fno/patch_notes_early_access_v0830_build_264901/
I think this is the full Update 8 notes?

I almost forgot about the Advanced Game settings stuff with starting tiers - I was debating loading up an old file or starting new but I think I might just start at coal power or something and maybe just use the "alternate recipes instantly" so I dont have to do hard drive hunting either.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Oxyclean posted:

Looks like Update 8 is out on the main branch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/17v5fno/patch_notes_early_access_v0830_build_264901/
I think this is the full Update 8 notes?

I almost forgot about the Advanced Game settings stuff with starting tiers - I was debating loading up an old file or starting new but I think I might just start at coal power or something and maybe just use the "alternate recipes instantly" so I dont have to do hard drive hunting either.

https://youtu.be/BIZieuScBmE?si=leik7MRiLdDx7l4y

Patch note video is here! Not gonna lie, I'm excited to start a new factory and really dig into this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Game looks fantastic with the updates, I am doing a new factory starting in the northern forest right where there are 3 pure iron nodes and a pure copper and limestone right next to it. Gotta build for scaling up once I get faster conveyors and miners!

Kinda tempted to just give myself all the tech now but nah I think I will just build my way up. I want to spend some time effort to make the factories look nice this time, usually I just make industrial monstrosities to get material as fast as possible.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't seem to be able to hold down space and tab out to let workbench crafting go on it's own, did they break that or am I doing something wrong?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oxyclean posted:

I don't seem to be able to hold down space and tab out to let workbench crafting go on it's own, did they break that or am I doing something wrong?

Just tap the spacebar & don't tab out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Phew managed to get cast screws on my first hard drive!

Extremely tempted to just cheat my way to coal though having to load the bioburners is a real pain.

Is it worth setting up an entire factory for smart plating or just have a standalone assembler I can throw rotors and reinforced iron plates into? Been so long since I played this lol

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You will need more smart plating down the line, so it's better to go ahead and automate it with plenty of space around for expansion. Having said that I usually make a cludged together setup anyway for the first delivery because mass delete and blueprints make it easy to remake it more efficiently later on.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

priznat posted:

Phew managed to get cast screws on my first hard drive!

Extremely tempted to just cheat my way to coal though having to load the bioburners is a real pain.

Is it worth setting up an entire factory for smart plating or just have a standalone assembler I can throw rotors and reinforced iron plates into? Been so long since I played this lol

You can easily get away with avoiding automation for the first delivery, 50 smart plates is a trivial amount if you've already automated reinforced plates and rotors and then it's a relatively long time before you start approaching the requirements for the second delivery and have to worry about them again. Second stage is a bit more demanding but I still stick to automating the subcomponents and doing the final stage in box factories. Third and especially fourth stages require enough of the prior elevator parts that it's often worth fully automating them at that point.

Speaking generally, the elevator parts should be towards the bottom on a priority list of things to automate. The subcomponents to make the space elevator parts tend have their own uses, the parts themselves don't and you'll never need more than whatever specific number the elevator stage demands. Automating them at all is more a matter of making up for deficiencies. If you make it to the final stage and haven't used drones you probably won't have a battery factory and will need to automate them to make the magnetic field generators, if you've used drones you'll have the batteries already and can just churn the parts out easily.

The only major exception I would make is for automated wiring since you need like 30 industrial containers full of the stuff to complete the final stage, though it's not hard to automate once you're at that point and you won't have to worry about it for 100+ hours.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Rock Desert is visually the nicest area.

Started a new game with tier 5 unlocked. More chill like that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Rock Desert is visually the nicest area.

Started a new game with tier 5 unlocked. More chill like that.

Is there a menu setting to unlock that after the fact? I am not seeing it or am blind. I got to tier 3 but yeah would like to just skip.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
you gotta reload the game file with save file with Advanced Game Settings checked

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ziasquinn posted:

you gotta reload the game file with save file with Advanced Game Settings checked

Ah so only at game start? Can I load it into one of the websites and enable that?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

priznat posted:

Ah so only at game start? Can I load it into one of the websites and enable that?
No need. Just when you load your save, there should be a checkbox near the load button to turn on the advanced game settings.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
yes my bad I meant, at least using a dedicated server, I could not enable on first game creation.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Wandered off to play other games. Wandered back.

Time to get back to the grindstone. Have some work in progress shots:

Global illumination is so dang pretty. I have to keep it turned off most of the time while actually working on stuff, otherwise I can't see what I'm doing. But I flip it on every once in a while just to admire things.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

wreaths and Santa hats have appeared

E: oh there's a whole Xmas research tree in the MAM, neat

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 2, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Looking good.

Looking really good.

Looking omg so loving goooood

Hmmmm, not yet looking good.

Looking... ha hah ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!1!!11!!! :freakout:

It's ok.

Take a deep breath.

Go back to when it was looking good.

Yeah, like that.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
When I bought the giant Lizard Doggo plushie, I did not expect that I had to stuff it myself

look at this poor thing

edit: it got better

ymgve fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 5, 2023

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ymgve posted:

When I bought the giant Lizard Doggo plushie, I did not expect that I had to stuff it myself

look at this poor thing

Lizard Doggo flattened by the engine of progress. A cautionary tale.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Pictured: Optimal Plutonium waste disposal.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ymgve posted:

look at this poor thing

edit: it got better

They specifically said you had to stuff it yourself because otherwise they'd have to deliver it on a pallet. :v:

I got the smaller one, my studio doesn't have room for giant doggo. :(

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Weird, I feel like a random chunk of uranium decided to get suddenly more dangerous? There was a corner of my base where the radiation would start to kick up, but wasn't really an issue. But now after doing a bunch of stuff, there's a far larger area around it now where I start to take radiation damage?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

drat it, something changed and now I can't play Update 8 for more than 10-15 minutes without crashing with a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED error. Any other game works fine, it's just Satisfactory. :(

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Collateral Damage posted:

drat it, something changed and now I can't play Update 8 for more than 10-15 minutes without crashing with a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED error. Any other game works fine, it's just Satisfactory. :(

Oof. Updated to newest GPU drivers I presume?

Are you using mods at all? Searching for that error on the subreddit, the only recent instance was someone for whom the problem was with mods.

Oxyclean posted:

Weird, I feel like a random chunk of uranium decided to get suddenly more dangerous? There was a corner of my base where the radiation would start to kick up, but wasn't really an issue. But now after doing a bunch of stuff, there's a far larger area around it now where I start to take radiation damage?

One of the things I don't like much about U8 is how they went ham on scattering uranium chunks everywhere.

You can get rid of them even without a rad suit if you hand-mine them carefully (or if it's in your base with the Hub right there, just die a bunch). Tedious but not difficult.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 8, 2023

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Can you then give it to a doggo and drop it into the abyss to get rid of it?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dunno-Lars posted:

Can you then give it to a doggo and drop it into the abyss to get rid of it?

Uranium ore you can just delete in the inventory trashcan. Radioactive products other than fuel rods can't go in the sink, but toxic waste is the only thing you can't manually delete.

The way to get rid of uranium nodes without a radsuit:
1. press f to start mining from edge of interaction range
2. press tab to open inventory, you will keep mining
3. every time a chunk of uranium ore appears, drag it to trash asap
4. before you die press tab to close inventory and hit the inhaler

It's annoying and uses up a bunch of inhalers, but inhalers are a fully renewable resource now.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Klyith posted:

inhalers are a fully renewable resource now.

Wait what? I haven't been paying super close attention to patch notes but I'm not understanding this.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

boxen posted:

Wait what? I haven't been paying super close attention to patch notes but I'm not understanding this.

It's not exactly new. One of the recipes is alien protein & nuts. Those both respawn on a frequent basis, so you will never run out. Before U6, all of the recipes used either mycelia or bacon shrooms, which are non-renewable.

It's like, there were plenty of both in the world, but getting more was just enough hassle that I treated inhalers like healing potions in an RPG. Now I carry a stack and use one whenever I take more than a few blocks of damage.

You can't automate them but they're cheap and easy to bang out.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Oof. Updated to newest GPU drivers I presume?

Are you using mods at all? Searching for that error on the subreddit, the only recent instance was someone for whom the problem was with mods.
No mods. The internet just has people fumbling in the dark. Some suggest a hardware issue, but I feel like I would have issues in other games as well if it was.

I installed the Nvidia studio drivers a while back to see if it would solve an issue I had in another game. That turned out to be a CPU issue but I never went back to the game ready drivers, so I guess I can give that a try.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Klyith posted:

It's not exactly new. One of the recipes is alien protein & nuts. Those both respawn on a frequent basis, so you will never run out. Before U6, all of the recipes used either mycelia or bacon shrooms, which are non-renewable.

It's like, there were plenty of both in the world, but getting more was just enough hassle that I treated inhalers like healing potions in an RPG. Now I carry a stack and use one whenever I take more than a few blocks of damage.

You can't automate them but they're cheap and easy to bang out.

Oh, right, the ingredients are renewable, I've been making those. For some reason I understood "renewable" as "spent inhalers can be used as an ingredient to make new inhalers", not "made from things that respawn after a period of time".

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Heard someone call it Bacon Garlic in a stream once and now cant unhear it.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I think for the first time ever I made a factory I really like the design of so I'm gonna make you look at it.

This is my new power plant:

This refinery right behind us from the above perspective takes in 2400 crude oil and turns it into 6400 fuel using Diluted Fuel.

If you turn around just after entering you can see the fuel pipes go into logistics walls. Ten pipes with 600 each and the two middle ones with 200 each.

Inside is five floors with 22 reactors on each side. Each side has 20 reactors set to 250% and two set to 166.67%. I'm happy to take suggestions on how I should set the light (and I also see that a pipe is probably disconnected somewhere here).

Backside of the factory.

It still looks like poo poo from the sides so I'll need to so something about that probably but I'm very happy with it! It's not as beautiful as some of the ones I've seen in this thread but it's incredible by my standards because I'm bad at pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

OgNar posted:

Heard someone call it Bacon Garlic in a stream once and now cant unhear it.
y'mean it's not???