Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

They wanted headline features to sell an expansion with. You don't get that with revamps of old systems

Imo the core problem in the fame is that combat scenarios are just bad. If they had some cruiser scale threats plus something like FRED where people could submit missions that would be incredible. But what we've got is encounters where the scripting breaks half the time anyway.

Customisable interior spaces with no gameplay benefit are headline features in better-run MMOs, like Phantasy Star Online 2, and I can't believe I'm saying that about PSO2. I don't expect them to do the whole massive freeform customization space thing, but you know what, the ability to change some interior colours and put decorations down and stuff would have pulled some people back in. And the art team would be able to flex their chops planning out the sort of ornaments you could have in an environment with no gravity. Snow globes that never settle, there's an idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

youll take your multiple varieties of string lights and like it

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Yeah if i want a giant inflatable santa in my cockpit i should be able to have that

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

alexandriao posted:

Yeah if i want a giant inflatable santa in my cockpit i should be able to have that

Otto pilot should inflate when you engage supercruise assist.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That''s not immersive enough, as you have increased sprint duration.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I explore in a beluga, let me walk around and set up a jacuzzi under that 40 meter glass canopy when I find a good view.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I wish I could orbit a different direction. Unless I crank my head back and look up with headlook, or use freecam, I can't see what I'm orbiting :argh:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

I wish I could orbit a different direction. Unless I crank my head back and look up with headlook, or use freecam, I can't see what I'm orbiting :argh:

You could just drop out of supercruise and point your cockpit at whatever you were orbiting

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Are combat zones supposed to be ridiculously difficult? I have won a few of them in my Asp Explorer, but they've all been 'Low' intensity zones, and I take five thousand years to kill anything, even ships that usually go down fairly quickly. I've run out of ammunition for my multicannons in every single one so far.

The AI is not very good at dealing with flight-assist-off flying, and I'm getting pretty good at using it to rotate my ship much faster than they possibly can and keep my guns on target for far, far longer than them, but it really seems like everything in these zones is being flown by a Dangerous-rated or better pilot and has absurd bullet-sponge levels of health, is this intended to be some kind of endgame content?

I haven't messed with engineering at all yet, maybe that's my problem?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mister Bates posted:

Are combat zones supposed to be ridiculously difficult? I have won a few of them in my Asp Explorer, but they've all been 'Low' intensity zones, and I take five thousand years to kill anything, even ships that usually go down fairly quickly. I've run out of ammunition for my multicannons in every single one so far.

The AI is not very good at dealing with flight-assist-off flying, and I'm getting pretty good at using it to rotate my ship much faster than they possibly can and keep my guns on target for far, far longer than them, but it really seems like everything in these zones is being flown by a Dangerous-rated or better pilot and has absurd bullet-sponge levels of health, is this intended to be some kind of endgame content?

I haven't messed with engineering at all yet, maybe that's my problem?

Yeah, combat zones will have engineered ships of various levels depending on the pilot's skill level. You'll notice those elite ships are really hard to take down. Once you engineer your weapons, shields, and hull you will take them down much faster.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Engineering is fun, engineering is good, engineering is what makes elite dangerous worth coming back to time and time again

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Try to get some friends if you can. Doing combat zones is a bit like cleaning a toilet with a toothbrush; no matter how good your toothbrush is, it's time-consuming, unpleasant, and pointlessly inefficient. But if you have a few other friends with good toothbrushes, it'll go faster.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah, combat zones will have engineered ships of various levels depending on the pilot's skill level. You'll notice those elite ships are really hard to take down. Once you engineer your weapons, shields, and hull you will take them down much faster.

Combat Zone ships aren't actually engineered, aside from the Captains and Spec Ops, it's just that the game has a huge problem with modular defences. CZ ships are very tanky compared to pirate ships, but still well within the bounds achievable with vanilla modules (and still extremely weak compared to engineered player ships). The spawns in them also don't depend on player rank, there are some mission-related spawns that are player rank based but CZs are just fixed fields.

Mister Bates posted:

Are combat zones supposed to be ridiculously difficult?

Engineering will help you a lot, it's a huge power increase. The real key to combat zones is sub targeting though, if you target powerplants and bring them to zero health, every subsequent strike on the plant can potentially blow up the ship, this is how you avoid having to spend all your ammo bringing their hull to zero. With this you can blow up Corvettes at 90% hull, or Asps at 50% etc. Multicannons are generally pretty good for this, as they strike fast and have decent breach damage for their size.

The path of least resistance in CZs is to take an Anaconda with a fuckton of multicannons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzE5QdC7IIc

Lots of stuff works in a wing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ_HaE440mM

It's good that you've spotted FAoff will keep you alive, NPCs don't know how to deal with it at all and it keeps your speed very high (due to trichording https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LerGEyybfzk and your ship never applying counterthrust). Transitioning to combat in full-time FA off opens the skill ceiling up a lot, and it's functional invulnerability in CZs.

On the subject of engineering, sadly stuff is really wacky and poorly balanced, a lot of mods that sound good aren't good and things take a huge amount of time. If you're interested here's a long guide about what's worth engineering: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ImHTbJAU9j2E7lChwuOG5NDRQvKOc6Bicw6yVK58ADk/edit?usp=sharing

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've not played since pre-Odyssey, have I missed much? I've been reinstalling to scratch the space itch.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The health and damage resistance bloat is the biggest albatross around the neck of combat in Elite. A ship has a few weapons, which it has to distribute between damaging shields and damaging armour. You can engineer them for more damage. Defensively, you have shields, shield boosters, armour, hull reinforcements, module reinforcements, shield cell banks, all of which can be engineered to stack extra HP and damage resistances, and engineering on your drives also counts because basically any time spent out of your enemy's weapons range is extra HP they'll have to chew through. You have a few slots dedicated to dealing damage and that's all you get, but you can put every single non-combat slot you have into becoming a flying side of beef.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Worf posted:

Engineering is fun, engineering is good, engineering is what makes elite dangerous worth coming back to time and time again

posts made by the utterly deranged

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

I've not played since pre-Odyssey, have I missed much? I've been reinstalling to scratch the space itch.

Thargoids invaded for real and started taking over thousands of systems in the Bubble and the last year has been an anti-xeno war to reclaim them. They sent out a bunch of Thargoid megaships called Maelstroms and each one has been a hub for anti-xeno activities.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

HonorableTB posted:

Thargoids invaded for real and started taking over thousands of systems in the Bubble and the last year has been an anti-xeno war to reclaim them. They sent out a bunch of Thargoid megaships called Maelstroms and each one has been a hub for anti-xeno activities.

Did this just fizzle into nothing? Seems like I haven't heard anything since the maelstroms showed up

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

Did this just fizzle into nothing? Seems like I haven't heard anything since the maelstroms showed up

The narrative is progressing. Recently commanders were sent to rescue captured humans from the Maelstroms using a new limpet and the reintegrated people are acting very...weird when back in human populations. There were also new ground structures added called Spires that seem to be important to the Maelstroms and they recently confirmed a Thargoid vulnerability to a bioweapon Palin developed. The war itself has been a grinding slog and it recently reached a turning point where commanders were able to reclaim all of the systems associated with one of the Maelstroms. The Maelstrom itself is still there but the commanders are slowly winning.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Considering the war started because of human attempts to xenoform Ammonia-planets into planets habitable for humans, I'm still waiting for Thargoid-systems with stations and ground cities to explore, and giving out missions to help them out. You know, something the devs have neither time, money nor ideas for.

Consequently, my explorer has left the bubble for good because what's the point engaging with aliens if it's just to fight them? I can have that in any number of other games, some of them even space-related.

That said, I've moved my old PS4-character onto PC and parked her in the bubble, just in case anything interesting happens, or in case I want to join in with a CG. Hope dies last and all that.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
there are a bunch of pro-xeno decals you can put on your ships but absolutely no content or gameplay related to them at all, at least so far.

You can make peace with the Thargoids in Elite 3 and even get a Thargoid ship from them, I don't know if that canonically happened though.

Personally I'm still annoyed that Elite 2 decided to delete all the weird aliens from the game and make all of explored space inhabited solely by humans. Bring back Elite 1's frog people and rodent people and cat people and poo poo, with literally the entire galaxy simulated it's honestly kind of weird that there's only one non-human civilization.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 10, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Elite's franchise lore continuity has Star Wars level retcons going on. Much like how the original expanded universe was made noncanon once Disney took over, most of the pre-Elite Dangerous lore doesn't seem to matter anymore unless they specifically bring it forward for E:D.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mister Bates posted:

there are a bunch of pro-xeno decals you can put on your ships but absolutely no content or gameplay related to them at all, at least so far.

You can make peace with the Thargoids in Elite 3 and even get a Thargoid ship from them, I don't know if that canonically happened though.

Personally I'm still annoyed that Elite 2 decided to delete all the weird aliens from the game and make all of explored space inhabited solely by humans. Bring back Elite 1's frog people and rodent people and cat people and poo poo, with literally the entire galaxy simulated it's honestly kind of weird that there's only one non-human civilization.

Man, I think Oolite still had cat aliens and poo poo. A couple weeks ago I checked alternative space sims and found it again, but finding and installing all the packages needed to make it look approaching a current game was far too much of a hassle. (Another game was only up-to-date on Linux, which was a nice reversal but not for me, and then I installed Pioneer which I will test over my Christmas holiday. Pioneer is like Elite with Newtonian physics.)

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Oolite ruled and I spent so much time in it, although it's less a game and more a framework for mods, with almost all of the interesting content being additional user-made material that had to be downloaded separately.

I remember having a ton of fun signing on for the GalCop Naval Auxiliary and getting into huge space battles with the Thargoids with capital ships duking it out and dozens of ships on both sides.

Pioneer is specifically a remake of Elite 2 and plays pretty much exactly like it, and should feel very familiar if you're coming from E:D.

Elite 3 (technically Frontier: First Encounters, but it's a sequel to Elite 2, is set in the same universe, and follows on directly from it in the timeline, so it's functionally the third Elite game), my favorite game in the series, has been ported to Direct3D and OpenGL to make it playable on modern systems, and the D3D version can be found here: https://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Hires/hiresffe.html.

The political situation in FFE is pretty much exactly the same as it is in E:D and most of the star systems near Earth are in the same place and roughly the same situation as they are in E:D, so it should feel even more familiar.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Libluini posted:

(Another game was only up-to-date on Linux, which was a nice reversal but not for me,)

What was the Linux-only one out of interest? The only other 3d open source space sim i can remember is vega strike and I've not looked into it in years

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wasn't FFE kind of half baked or something? Gotta be honest, I only really played Elite Plus, and all I did in that was grind the Diso-Leesti trade route I figured out until I had all the upgrades.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Dabir posted:

Wasn't FFE kind of half baked or something? Gotta be honest, I only really played Elite Plus, and all I did in that was grind the Diso-Leesti trade route I figured out until I had all the upgrades.

The publisher made Fdev release FFE so early and in such a badly unfinished state that Braben sued the publisher over it and got a sizable out-of-court settlement. On release it was nearly unplayable due to bugs, but patched it's still a pretty good game. It's extremely similar to Elite 2 and at times feels more like an expansion pack than a sequel, but it definitely has some things to recommend it over its predecessor, including some unique scripted missions that give the game a little bit more (completely optional) structure than just 'you are in space'.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ah, that was the selling point of Plus over the original Elite too. (That and the fully coloured and shaded polygons)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Not the Messiah posted:

What was the Linux-only one out of interest? The only other 3d open source space sim i can remember is vega strike and I've not looked into it in years

Oops, I should have been clearer here. Yes, Vega Strike is also available for MacOS and Windows, but:

According to The Vega Strike Website, the Windows and MacOS-Versions are stuck at pre-release (0.5.1 for Windows and 0.5.0 for Mac), while on Linux, the game has reached what the devs consider a "finished" state with Version 0.8. There's even a Beta-Version with 0.8.1 out.

So yeah, you can play on Windows, but only an earlier, unfinished version.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mr. Crow posted:

posts made by the utterly deranged

My favorite materials are the ones ships drop, which I collect manually with cargo hatch, sans limpets

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Worf posted:

My favorite materials are the ones ships drop, which I collect manually with cargo hatch, sans limpets

I race my limpets to the cargo. Sometimes I just ram it out into space and make it take longer

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Frantically scanning the material cannisters trying to prioritize the low hp ones before they poof

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Did they ever fix the bug/feature that caused collector limpets to commit seppuku after collecting a single item if you launched them while targeting the item?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Annath posted:

Did they ever fix the bug/feature that caused collector limpets to commit seppuku after collecting a single item if you launched them while targeting the item?

I think everyone adjusted to the idea that that's how they're supposed to work

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Inspector Hound posted:

Of course it is.

Because Frontier pretty much always chooses the absolute dumbest way of doing any given thing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

I think it is how they're supposed to work, because if you direct limpets to collect a specific item, they move considerably faster.

I think the implication is that they burn much more fuel to accomplish the ΔV.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Well drat, I want spaceship colors and am logging in. Well spotted

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ho ho ho commander

E: o7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Does this apply to us lowly PS4 players? I logged in today and didn't notice any bonus bux.