Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is only logical to never speak about michael burnham to anyone ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
i mean wasnt what happened to discovery listed as classified in starfleet?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

mailorder bees posted:

i mean wasnt what happened to discovery listed as classified in starfleet?

Enough to classify the entire life existence of Ambassador Sarek's adopted human child?

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Mushroom space was cool but it was real annoying about it being perfectly reliable and close to safe and the torture thing was pretty weird.

If they treated it like fluidic space, something weird that happened a couple of times and is really alien, that'd be cool. Maybe a short arc, half-season at most. End with it being the thing that saves the day but at terrible cost and then we don't have to go back to it every episode

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

maybeadracula posted:

Enough to classify the entire life existence of Ambassador Sarek's adopted human child?

It was almost exactly like that Simpsons episode with the big revelations about Principal Skinner, where in the end the judge declared that everything would be just like it was before, and no one would ever mention any of this again under penalty of torture.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
if you blab about spock's secret sister, you're punished by being assigned to an oberth class

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
In “crazy hallucinations” talk. I had a bizarre rear end dream last night where the crew of Voyager, Wesley, and the Movie era TOS crew teamed up to fly around the TV version of the TOS enterprise to fight an evil super DS9 the Cardassians has built that was like 3 DS9s glued together. For some reason Uhura was wearing a face veil the entire time.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

galagazombie posted:

In “crazy hallucinations” talk. I had a bizarre rear end dream last night where the crew of Voyager, Wesley, and the Movie era TOS crew teamed up to fly around the TV version of the TOS enterprise to fight an evil super DS9 the Cardassians has built that was like 3 DS9s glued together. For some reason Uhura was wearing a face veil the entire time.

Sounds rad af

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

mailorder bees posted:

if you blab about spock's secret sister, you're punished by being assigned to an oberth class

That reminds me, I realized a couple of days ago that an Oberth is what happens when you try to use a hamburger bun on a hot dog.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Star Trek: Legacy (season 1)

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Is Cerritos just a rinky dink average small city in CA and that's the joke in LD or is there more to it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Is Cerritos just a rinky dink average small city in CA and that's the joke in LD or is there more to it?

Yes, it's Mike McMahan's hometown and it's a city-sized car lot with houses scattered between the dealerships that most people assume is just a suburb of LA. The joke is that for a class of starships named after Californian cities, an already bottom of the barrel naming niche, a ship named after Cerritos, CA is REALLY scraping the deepest nook of the lowest part of that barrel.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Big rear end On Fire posted:

All of the cali class ships are named after cities in california.

USS Alhambra (NCC-75256)
USS Anaheim
USS Burbank
USS Carlsbad (NCC-73110)
USS Cerritos (NCC-75567)
USS Culver City
USS Eureka (NCC-74543)
USS Fresno
USS Inglewood
USS Merced (NCC-87075)
USS Mount Shasta
USS Oakland (NCC-75012)
USS Pacific Palisades
USS Redding
USS Riverside
USS Rubidoux (NCC-12109) (Destroyed)
USS Sacramento
USS San Clemente
USS San Diego
USS San Jose
USS Santa Monica
USS Sherman Oaks
USS Solvang (NCC-12101) (Destroyed)
USS Vacaville (NCC-72707)
USS Vallejo
USS West Covina

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, it's Mike McMahan's hometown and it's a city-sized car lot with houses scattered between the dealerships that most people assume is just a suburb of LA. The joke is that for a class of starships named after Californian cities, an already bottom of the barrel naming niche, a ship named after Cerritos, CA is REALLY scraping the deepest nook of the lowest part of that barrel.

He’s from Chicago, but he heard the ubiquitous Cerritos Auto Square car dealership jingle on the radio as he was driving around LA and that’s what inspired the name Cerritos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opw9lDxHkeo

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Look when you’ve built over 75,000 starships you’re gonna have to find names for them SOMEwhere.

I bet there’s an entire class of Klingon ships named after lovely little towns on Qo’nos where like only 5 guys ever died in honorable combat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Endless Trash posted:

He’s from Chicago, but he heard the ubiquitous Cerritos Auto Square car dealership jingle on the radio as he was driving around LA and that’s what inspired the name Cerritos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opw9lDxHkeo

Oh, so HE'S the dipshit from Chicago. It all makes sense now.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Presumably the Alabama-class starships have a USS Mobile, my hometown. I expect it's a glorified tow truck, bringing ships back to drydock after the helmsman got drunk and spun out to hard

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

Look when you’ve built over 75,000 starships you’re gonna have to find names for them SOMEwhere.

I bet there’s an entire class of Klingon ships named after lovely little towns on Qo’nos where like only 5 guys ever died in honorable combat.

This is how you get ships named after brands of peanut butter and other random bullshit.

You better believe every bird species already has a ship named after them. Want to see the USS Eurostopodus diabolicus (Diabolical Nightjar/Satanic Nightjar)

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 8, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I imagine the Federation naming a bunch of ships after things on alien worlds as well, even enemy or hostile factions.

I'm an ensign on the USS Borg Collective. No yeah, it's sorta weird, my mom got green-lasered to death at Wolf 359 but I guess it would be kind of bigoted to exclude them from the nomenclature. It's outreach, you know?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Captain we’re getting a distress call from the USS Buffy the Vampire Slayer

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!
USS Prolapsed Sphincter

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Endless Trash posted:

Captain we’re getting a distress call from the USS Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The USS Billy Carter is moving to help

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Sir, there's another starship coming in! ...It's the USS Paul Manafort! :haw:

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I mean, you've basically described the occupants of the average space instance in Star Trek Online.

Except with at least one James T K1rk of the USS Enterprice

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tigey posted:

I mean, you've basically described the occupants of the average space instance in Star Trek Online.

Except with at least one James T K1rk of the USS Enterprice

Given that it's an MMO I suspect that it's flooded with all manner of USS Google Pickle Rick, USS 9/11 Was An Inside Job, USS #hitlerwasright, and USS RON PAUL 2012s ad infinitum.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

i kinda want to sign up to cruise around in the USS Kirk Johnson

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

galagazombie posted:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
STAR TREK: Posted to the USS GBS

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
awkwardly asking the captain if they have stairs in their house

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

MikeJF posted:

That's another hosed up production artifact. Fuller wanted to tell a TOS story, then they dumped him and replaced him and the new producers didn't really care about that but they were stuck with the setting and telling someone else's story. Fuller's version would have likely been a lot more TOS-compatible and done stuff with the era.

Hell, look at the concept art. Here's the bridge of the Shenzou July 2016:

Fuller got replaced in October, all the aesthetics were revamped, and here's the bridge of the Shenzou in December:

Wow, I've never seen that before. I'm amazed at how little work it takes to make the excellent original design look like total garbage.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Space Jam posted:

i kinda want to sign up to cruise around in the USS Kirk Johnson

I mean if ever there was a ship equipped to investigate wormholes

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

"Ensign, warp factor 6."

Captain, course laid in.

"Just post."

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

man Neelix is super uncool to Kes

he had abuser vibes

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

mailorder bees posted:

can't imagine gagh is full of fiber. probably stops you up awfully. no wonder worf was pissy all the time; i would be too if i was packed full 24/7

That's why they're best served live. They wriggle their way out.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

galagazombie posted:

The ancestors will guide you. Ha-coochiemoya

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

USS West Covina has to be a Crazy Ex Girlfriend reference.
Merced was the codename for the first generation of the Intel Itanium processor (which sucked).

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

punishedkissinger posted:

man Neelix is super uncool to Kes

he had abuser vibes

Yeah

euthy
Sep 26, 2007

May you and your family live without suffering, but for the rest... Thanks for not breeding VHEMT
Grimey Drawer
I

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I hated Neelix. He's probably the most annoying ST character ever, even more than Lwaxana. Aliexpress Alf knockoff headass.

Computer, replicate me a pitchfork, I got some stabbin to do in the kitchen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Lwaxana was awful when I was a kid but amazing to watch as an adult.

A social foil to Picard