Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Would Robert Patrick make a better or worse governor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

The Islamic Shock posted:

If they go with 10,000 jobs you can hypothetically do if hired but it's the kind of job where your resume is at best going to get laughed at, this sounds too easy

Like I could theoretically be a bad programmer for a bad wage and just pick it up as I go

One of the common stipulations is that it's a job easy enough to do with only one to two days of training, so programming jobs are out

But surveillance system monitor? That job can be done with no training and sitting on your butt all day, so as long as the judge can convince himself that you are capable of sitting for six straight hours you're not disabled

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

One of the common stipulations is that it's a job easy enough to do with only one to two days of training, so programming jobs are out

But surveillance system monitor? That job can be done with no training and sitting on your butt all day, so as long as the judge can convince himself that you are capable of sitting for six straight hours you're not disabled

I thought we outsourced all of those to like Indonesia now that video streaming is cheap and easy

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

e: lmao I just looked it up and they're currently 32/40 and 62/80 and the only poo poo they've gotten done is legalizing rounding up the homeless for involuntary institutionalization

Hey, not fair at all.

They also voted to throw unhoused people's tents in a woodchipper and rejected funding homelessness reduction programs on the same ballot. :v:

By public ballot referendum.

California politicians accurately reflect their constituents: mostly garbage, sometimes criminally insane, and a miniscule spattering of powerless individuals who mean well.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shame Boy posted:

I thought we outsourced all of those to like Indonesia now that video streaming is cheap and easy

Yes, but the company technically has the job opening! So we're allowed to use it to justify starving the disabled.
The metric isn't 'would this person be hired' it's 'does this job they could do exist' :eng101:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

So if 25% of jobs can be done without a right hand, and 25% of jobs can be done without a left hand, then clearly if you're missing both hands, you're still eligible for 6.25% of jobs! I don't see the problem.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Evilreaver posted:

Yep, that's pretty evil. Are jobs that boring and easy pretty much completely you have to know a guy to get it like I think they are?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Islamic Shock posted:

Yep, that's pretty evil. Are jobs that boring and easy pretty much completely you have to know a guy to get it like I think they are?

or it's so horrible that the turn over is insane because the job pays $7.50/hr in a non-climate controlled warehouse in texas with 6 tiers of idiot nepo baby bosses harassing everyone to quit so that only the most desperate stick around.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

jetz0r posted:

or it's so horrible that the turn over is insane because the job pays $7.50/hr in a non-climate controlled warehouse in texas with 6 tiers of idiot nepo baby bosses harassing everyone to quit so that only the most desperate stick around.

You nailed it fully.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

jetz0r posted:

Ah, got it. It's not just you can do a horrible job hypothetically, it's we also know you can't afford rent anywhere even in Texas with that wage but that's not our problem is it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

NZAmoeba posted:

Insurance companies more moral than the factory boss
I am not convinced.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

Would Robert Patrick make a better or worse governor

Worse, I'm pretty sure he's a big chud. Arnold was probably as good it gets from a Republican

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I love it's a gradual increase in dystopia, word after word. Perfect punchline.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I had to look up if that was real and it was (years ago, jet dot com has been fully reabsorbed into walmart dot com by now even) and the first result is an ad agency group talking about what a great ad campaign it was:

https://shortyawards.com/9th/careculator

They're clearly trying to walk this thin line between "yeah we know how awful this is, it's a funny joke to generate buzz" and "but actually, use this thing to literally rank your friends and buy poo poo from us" and lol

quote:

We played with this insight to create The Careculator, a fun, interactive social tool that tells you how much to spend on friends and family based on how much they like, comment and react to you on Facebook. It literally put a price on your friendships, and then generated unique gifts you can purchase for less, at Jet.com.

The Careculator was a trending topic, generating over 200,000 conversations on social and 100 million earned media impressions. There was an average of nine careculations per user. It was also picked up by major media and industry sites and was a featured story on over 30 TV news broadcasts across the United States.

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 15:07 on Dec 12, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's also really telling that they didn't actually list how many people went on to make purchases, they listed "careculations", probably because 99.99% of users just fed their facebook into this thing, clicked a few people they know, went "haha look dad it ranks you lower than mom and thinks you only deserve a $20 gift card" or whatever and then ignored the rest

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shame Boy posted:

I had to look up if that was real and it was (years ago, jet dot com has been fully reabsorbed into walmart dot com by now even) and the first result is an ad agency group talking about what a great ad campaign it was:

https://shortyawards.com/9th/careculator

They're clearly trying to walk this thin line between "yeah we know how awful this is, it's a funny joke to generate buzz" and "but actually, use this thing to literally rank your friends and buy poo poo from us" and lol

They should buy presents for everyone who generated impressions for them.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
i used jet many many years ago to get free shipping on some massively heavy piece of furniture. zero interest rate VC companies, what a time to be alive

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Centrist Committee posted:

i used jet many many years ago to get free shipping on some massively heavy piece of furniture. zero interest rate VC companies, what a time to be alive

I didn't know it was even a VC thing, I thought it was just walmart trying to get people to use their online poo poo without saying it was walmart, because that's where ~trashy people~ shop

Wikipedia says walmart bought it just over a year after it launched so yeah it wasn't free for long lol

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Narcan is good and there shouldn't be a stigma around it, but drat is it dystopian as all hell that it's a product being advertised, and the advertisers decided to go with this faux community language.

Like I'm actually glad that I can get this over the counter, since I remember a few years ago when it was more restricted some police depts were making nonprofits and healthcare providers keep inventories and logs of use, but gently caress is it grim that saving lives is just a product up to individual consumer choice.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jesus Christ I laughed like a madman when I processed the text, the entirety of the 21st century's zeitgeist distilled into a single sentence

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Coolness Averted posted:

Narcan is good and there shouldn't be a stigma around it, but drat is it dystopian as all hell that it's a product being advertised, and the advertisers decided to go with this faux community language.

Like I'm actually glad that I can get this over the counter, since I remember a few years ago when it was more restricted some police depts were making nonprofits and healthcare providers keep inventories and logs of use, but gently caress is it grim that saving lives is just a product up to individual consumer choice.

jesus christ lol this is bleak as poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Coolness Averted posted:

once you get past the stigma of iv drug use it's smooth sailing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh hey HP Hovercraft, haven't seen you in any of the threads I pay attention to in a long time, glad you seem to be doin' alright :unsmith:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

if I didn't think this was grift I'd be worried

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
hm i'd rather be flying and loving, but if you want to run through your powerpoints that's great too i guess

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm using my dreams to do the hobbies I haven't the time to afford in the waking world tyvm

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

dreaming is basically just being conscious longer, and you couldn't force me to do it at gunpoint

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

dreaming is basically just being conscious longer, and you couldn't force me to do it at gunpoint

Forcing someone to be conscious at gunpoint isn't the best strategy, what are you gonna do, end their consciousness permanently?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
waking up and opening the word file I worked on in my dreams last night and it's just the word Penis 50,000 times

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Even your dreams are small.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

getting dragged into the dream HR office because my powerpoint dream changed into a powerpoint sex dream

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"okay but how do I turn my dream work into real work" ahh the first snag in our genius plan

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
if only god had been smart enough to design a USB port instead of tail bones

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if there's one thing i trust my unconscious brain to do its definitely to send professional emails that won't get me fired in the morning

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

one step closer to developing eternators and realizing the stimpire

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I had to debug code in my dream once while my dream-boss pointed out how bad I was at it the whole time and boy did it loving suck.

That's not a joke it was just a really unpleasant dream.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Coolness Averted posted:

Great now my work stress dreams are just normal work stress now.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Coolness Averted posted:

I remember this Rick and Morty episode. The People of the Night eventually revolted becaus they got sick of the Smiths not rinsing their dishes before putting them in the sink lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

blatman posted:

if there's one thing i trust my unconscious brain to do its definitely to send professional emails that won't get me fired in the morning

Well either you'll get fired or promoted to management