Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Weembles posted:

Cultural race mixing is a class 1b Problematic.

Please refer to your genetic passport to determine if you are allowed to be friends with Ravi Shankar.

it's OK to mix cultures but not to steal them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

ArmedZombie posted:

it's OK to mix cultures but not to steal them

As if there was a difference between the two besides "when I do it" vs "when you do it".

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pretty sure drawing goku fighting one punch man isnt stealing culture

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

pretty sure drawing goku fighting one punch man isnt stealing culture

ok whitey

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Weembles posted:

As if there was a difference between the two besides "when I do it" vs "when you do it".

there's a difference but you're just too dumb to understand it.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/beatles-5-boldest-rip-offs-54145/

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

ArmedZombie posted:

Sorry, no time to read. Too busy stealing culture.

Where will I put it all!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ArmedZombie posted:

please tell us more about how the Beatles stole the culture of Humphrey Lyttelton

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

please tell us more about how the Beatles stole the culture of Humphrey Lyttelton

Ringo is on record as claiming to have invented Mornington Cresent.

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

when john lennon publicly talked and sang about beating women and actively spent years working through his anger in therapy, i thought: what a hypocritical weasel singing about love and beating women, i bet he loved beating people up, he should know better like i do

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
When the Beatles did yellow submarine they sent a message about stealing American submarine culture

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Saw Godzilla Minus One tonight. Enjoyed it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

HootTheOwl posted:

When the Beatles did yellow submarine they sent a message about stealing American submarine culture

In Yellow Submarine the Beatles appropriated Anime.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've never seen a godzilla movie. i've seen a billion clips of cities being destroyed, but nothing consisting of what i'd guess is a third act. how do these movies normally resolve

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

i say swears online posted:

i've never seen a godzilla movie. i've seen a billion clips of cities being destroyed, but nothing consisting of what i'd guess is a third act. how do these movies normally resolve

This one resolves with godzilla getting domed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

should watch the original, it's good and holds up for what it is imo.

i personally never really liked any of the american hollywood ones though. roland emerich was ehh ok because its emerich. king kong v godzilla was mildly dumb fun but not really that much dumb fun. actually I was rather dissapointed it wasn't even dumber. none of em are really worth watching compared to the vast quantity of actual dumb shlocky fun movies out there.

but yes usually resolve with godzilla getting nuked/whatever and/or retreating but he laid eggs or maybe to be continued cliffhanger where maybe he's not really dead.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:19 on Dec 9, 2023

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

the first early entries 1955-1967 have a rough continuity where Godzilla gets dispatched one way at the end, and then in the beginning of the next one he comes back from that. for example at the climax of one film he's buried in a glacier, then in the next film he bursts out of an iceberg. this goes on until 1968's Destroy All Monsters which was set in 1999 and is doing a future scifi thing, and then next year's All Monsters Attack which is a weird (good) meta film about a japanese latchkey kid who daydreams of godzilla. in the 70s Godzilla becomes a straight up superhero and just shows up for each film.

they rebooted the series in 1984 which kicked off a straightforward continuity of 7 films through 1995. they rebooted again in 2000-2005 and those films are all doing their own standalone thing playing with continuity. toho likes to juice their property with reboots and then run it like skinflints and milk it for what they can until audiences get bored. compare the mediocre 90s godzilla films with the 90s gamera trilogy, made by the remains of former toho competitor studio daiei, working with a couple other funding sources for like 1/3 the budget of toho's hollow schlock (i don't care for the 90s entries if you can't tell)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The hideaki anno Godzilla kicks rear end.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
my favorite godzilla film is godzilla vs biollante from 1989, it's just an all around solid action/sci-fi/fantasy flick with a dense plot full of corporate terrorism, ESP, genetic engineering, and ofc godzilla. has a vibe that would later be made explicit in shin godzilla, of the bureaucratization of a monster menace. works as a standalone film, there's a little intro wrapping up the last film.

it's very well made, powerful story and excellent FX, but only made a good deal of $$$ at the box office instead of gently caress loads, so for the 90s films toho said gently caress original scripts and themes let's just bring back ghidorah, mothra, etc, and just nail the camera to the floor for the monster scenes. the fx team tries but they were working under impossible schedules and it shows

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

the best godzilla movies end with a little boy dressed like gilligan from gilligans island screaming "goodbye" at the great lizard as he slowly waddles into the ocean

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Mantis42 posted:

the best godzilla movies end with a little boy dressed like gilligan from gilligans island screaming "goodbye" at the great lizard as he slowly waddles into the ocean

smog monster and megalon are 2 top entries

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the point of having children is to pass on your brand allegiance to a new generation

remember the good old days when instead of brands children were taught to believe in catholicism and artillery doctrine

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Whoolighams posted:

as an elder millennial it's really gross seeing parents shove their pop culture tastes down their children's throats as the most important thing in their lives. one guy made everything around his kid Star Wars including taking the <1 year old to Force Awakens in the theater so he could "have the story of his first movie being Star Wars"

was it always this bad? were there 35 year olds in the fifties saying that last night's episode of Howdy Doody had complex themes and characters? my parents didn't treat me as a billboard to show off their pop culture tastes, the gently caress happened

i think the most comparable thing from our perspective is something like the godfather which not coincidentally isnt a movie for children so the biggest godfather nerd in the world isnt going to force her kids to watch it and be surprised that they dont understand whats going on

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Whoolighams posted:

my parents didn't treat me as a billboard to show off their pop culture tastes, the gently caress happened

the ability to use your kid as a billboard happened. my dad was super excited to take me to the star wars rereleases as a kid, but there was nowhere to post about that at the time.

poo poo like star wars baby just bubbles to the top of the algorithmic poo poo pile riding a combo of support and disgust like all content

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the comparable social system in the past would be religion, sports, and careers being foisted on the younger generations. four quadrant multimedia universes didn't really exist in a world thirty plus years ago when the cost of home media was extravagant

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Durf posted:

ok what prompted this

a) Taylor getting TIME person of the year, something that only matters to MAGA boomers
b) Taylor replacing Michelle Obama as the dark horse last minute Biden replacement
c) young FEMALES listening to Taylor instead of ELVIS

wait taylor swift is time person of the year

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

theflyingexecutive posted:

the ability to use your kid as a billboard happened. my dad was super excited to take me to the star wars rereleases as a kid, but there was nowhere to post about that at the time.

poo poo like star wars baby just bubbles to the top of the algorithmic poo poo pile riding a combo of support and disgust like all content
yeah my dad would have us watch Wild Wild West (robert conrad), The Avengers (dianna rigg), sci-fi b movies like Them! and stuff, and Star Trek TOS (but never the post-TOS)

but there's nothing wrong in sharing interests with your kids or w/e

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Grimnarsson posted:

Watching the newest season of For All Mankind and I thought these morloks were going to strike and destroy the eloi up above but doesn't seem that way? Seems like liberal bullshit that capitalism just needs to be regulated and then it'll be good. It stinks! I like the show though.

i think its kind of fascinating that despite for all mankind being an alternate timeline filled with cool space tech it has almost identical economic problems to the ones we have right now and theres no particularly obvious reason for these problems to exist except that our political system is still deliberately designed to incentivize people into doing stupid things even if we decided to dump all our money into space tech instead of THE JAKARTA METHOD

any assumption that this commentary is deliberate is of course immediately undermined by the next scene focusing on the soviet union which makes it very clear that communism is bad look at all the mean communists trying to depose gorbachev

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

wait taylor swift is time person of the year

ya

also magas are freaking out cause of b)

for the record I'm completely on board with Taylor becoming our Lynn Minmay and unifying all humanity/defeating all evil with song

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1733235314687168537

Durf has issued a correction as of 10:27 on Dec 9, 2023

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
ryan o'neal is dead

Vanity Fair excerpt from Aug 2009 posted:

NEW YORK, N.Y.--Ryan O'Neal speaks extensively with Vanity Fair contributing editor Leslie Bennetts about his relationship with Farrah Fawcett, and his family struggles, both before and after her death, and tells Bennetts he is full of regrets, saying, "I wish I could do it over with [Fawcett]. I would have been much kinder, more understanding, more mature. I'd lose some of the savagery. I don't know how she got cancer; maybe some of it was me. She wouldn't even have a diet soda!"

Bennetts reports that one of the reasons for their split, according to O'Neal, was that Fawcett "was going through some kind of change.... I didn't have a change of life; I was always a jerk. But they're hard work, these divas; I was sick of it, and I was unappreciated." He says he felt that Fawcett didn't like him very much, "so I excused myself, and I was lucky enough to meet this young girl. She was more a daughter to me than a lover, and my own daughter had flown the coop, so here was this replacement." Despite their split, they eventually managed to come back together when O'Neal was diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia in 2001 (it has since been controlled with the drug Gleevec). "I talked to her every day," O'Neal says. "We pulled apart, but we never popped loose."

O'Neal tells Bennetts that six weeks before her death Fawcett asked him, "Am I going to make it?," and he said, "Sure, baby--and if you don't, I'll go with you," to which Fawcett replied, "Stop the Gleevec." He didn't give up his medication, Bennetts writes, but was at Fawcett's bedside when she passed away.

According to O'Neal, Fawcett's apparent softness was deceptive, and she "had a stubborn streak of pride and righteousness," he says. They would fight about "anything and everything," and they "started fighting about [their son] Redmond by the time he was three," he tells Bennetts.

O'Neal calls Fawcett "provincial in many ways," and tells Bennetts that he thinks she may have preferred "a picket-fence kind of life, cooking and doing her art," rather than the strain of Hollywood. Aging was hard for her, he says. "In my mind, if I say, 'You're beautiful,' that should be enough. But she was very high-maintenance. She took a long time getting ready to go anywhere, and that started to drive me nuts. We were late to see the president of the United States, and she was his dinner partner! So we were an hour late for Ronald Reagan."

Griffin O'Neal is suspicious of his father's newfound devotion to Fawcett, telling Bennetts, "All those crocodile tears!... My dad's only goal was to make sure he would be in the will. It was so disgustingly transparent as soon as he found out she was terminal. I consider him a vulture presiding over a carcass. Ryan thought he was going to get everything." When asked about Griffin's charge that Ryan was trying to get Fawcett's money, the elder O'Neal says, "I hate him! He knows I have money. I made a tremendous amount of money on real estate, more than I deserve."

O'Neal is brutal on the subject of his parenting and his children, telling Bennetts, "I'm a hopeless father. I don't know why. I don't think I was supposed to be a father. Just look around at my work--they're either in jail or they should be." He doesn't talk to any of his kids except for Redmond, whom he visits in jail. "I was in touch with them for years, and I was a mess," he says of the others. "I'm not in touch with them now, and I've never been happier." When asked if he's sorry he had children, he nods, Bennetts reports. "A couple of them I would take back," he says.

O'Neal tells Bennetts that he didn't recognize his daughter, Tatum, at Fawcett's funeral. "I had just put the casket in the hearse and was watching it drive away," he says, "when a beautiful blonde woman comes up and embraces me. I said to her, 'You have a drink on you? You have a car?' She said, 'Daddy, it's me--Tatum!' I was just trying to be funny with a strange Swedish woman, and it's my daughter. It's so sick."

When Bennetts asks Tatum about the exchange, she replies, "That's our relationship in a nutshell.... You make of it what you will." She sighed. "It had been a few years since we'd seen each other, and he was always a ladies' man, a bon vivant."

O'Neal fumes when asked about Tatum's autobiography, saying "She wrote a book--bitch! How dare she throw our laundry in the street for money!... She didn't call after Farrah's show. She'll have to explain that."

Tatum tells Bennetts that her father "has every right to be angry about the book; no parent wants to hear their kid saying lovely things about them... But what I wrote in the book was true. I've got a battle with drugs, but I'm a strong, independent person, and I fight for myself, and my father and I butt heads. When I was 16 years old, he and Farrah moved in together, and after that I saw my dad periodically, and that took a long time for me to get over. Would I do that to my kids? No, but I don't think Farrah was responsible for that. I truly thought Farrah was inspirational and beautiful and kind. Anyway, it's past; I've moved on. I'm older now, and I forgive him."

O'Neal claims Griffin has sold salacious information about the family to the tabloids, a charge that Griffin denies--"Absolutely not! Not one thing!," Griffin tells Bennetts. "My father is afraid of me because I know the truth," Griffin says. "That's the part that absolutely scares him to death." Griffin suggests that the family's problems might have something to do with the fact that Ryan plied his children with drugs--"My father gave me cocaine when I was 11 and insisted I take it," he tells Bennetts--and was prone to uncontrollable rages. "He was violent all the way through my upbringing," says Griffin. "He was a very abusive, narcissistic psychopath. He gets so mad he can't control anything he's doing."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Durf posted:

ya

also magas are freaking out cause of b)

for the record I'm completely on board with Taylor becoming our Lynn Minmay and unifying all humanity/defeating all evil with song

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1733235314687168537

I think this just shows a lack of imagination

Everything obviously forced and unnatural has to be a plot specifically by the (famously flexible and willing to share power outside their establishment core) Democrats against Trump. It can never just be a way for rich people to work PR

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

veepfake posted:

when john lennon publicly talked and sang about beating women and actively spent years working through his anger in therapy, i thought: what a hypocritical weasel singing about love and beating women, i bet he loved beating people up, he should know better like i do

what john lennon song is about beating women?

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

busalover posted:

Run for your life maybe? I've heard people speak very disapprovingly of the song.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

busalover posted:

Getting Better All The Time has a line about how the speaker used to beat his wife but is All Better now. Norwegian Wood is a song about burning a girl's house down because she wouldn't sleep with you.

e: Run For Your Life seems satirical but under the circumstances might not be

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

loquacius posted:

Getting Better All The Time has a line about how the speaker used to beat his wife but is All Better now. Norwegian Wood is a song about burning a girl's house down because she wouldn't sleep with you.

e: Run For Your Life seems satirical but under the circumstances might not be

getting better’s verse is “i used to be cruel to my woman, i beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved. i know it’s mean but i’m changing my scene and i’m doing the best that i can”

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Xaris posted:

yeah my dad would have us watch Wild Wild West (robert conrad), The Avengers (dianna rigg), sci-fi b movies like Them! and stuff, and Star Trek TOS (but never the post-TOS)

but there's nothing wrong in sharing interests with your kids or w/e

HR Puffinstuff dvds

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Coaaab posted:

ryan o'neal is dead

I should rewatch paper moon

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

busalover posted:

It's getting better all the time has a line oh efb

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

all guitar music is colonizer bullshit, most unpleasant tones ever invented. oh wow your hunting bow makes a twang sound? great job fucko i hope you got trampled by the megafauna you extincted

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

They’re called The BEATles

Because they BEAT women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

all guitar music is colonizer bullshit, most unpleasant tones ever invented. oh wow your hunting bow makes a twang sound? great job fucko i hope you got trampled by the megafauna you extincted
white guys on guitars are bad, but, white guys on sitars...