Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Bears are going to luck into Caleb Williams and gently caress it up somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Niwrad posted:

The Bears are going to luck into Caleb Williams and gently caress it up somehow.

I dont really think hes the one. He holds the ball longer than fields and we already see how thats working.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

How in the world are you folks aware of garlic sports, much less watching them??

I'm delighted so many people ran with that prompt and also delighted by seeing everyone's eccentric sports

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Niwrad posted:

When do we start to talk seriously about him being a bad fit here? I don't want a guy who holds onto the ball forever. We already have that guy, who has best case world class abilities in arm strength, running ability/speed, and mental toughness.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Caleb isn't a flawless prospect but you can't just flatten it out to "both guys hold the ball too long, they're the same prospect, Caleb can't cut it in Chicago." Caleb is a dude who holds onto the ball forever because he tries to extend plays to do Superman poo poo, which he's shown a propensity to be very good at, although it's come back to bite him more than you'd like this season. Fields is a dude who holds onto the ball because he needs his receivers to be super open before he's comfortable throwing it to them

It's gonna take some development for Williams to thrive in the NFL which is obviously terrifying to ask the Bears to help facilitate, but that's ultimately going to be the case for any QB prospect

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

no quarterback drafted by the bears will ever be good, if I were Caleb Williams I would just refuse to go to chicago

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

xbilkis posted:

Caleb isn't a flawless prospect but you can't just flatten it out to "both guys hold the ball too long, they're the same prospect, Caleb can't cut it in Chicago." Caleb is a dude who holds onto the ball forever because he tries to extend plays to do Superman poo poo, which he's shown a propensity to be very good at, although it's come back to bite him more than you'd like this season. Fields is a dude who holds onto the ball because he needs his receivers to be super open before he's comfortable throwing it to them

It's gonna take some development for Williams to thrive in the NFL which is obviously terrifying to ask the Bears to help facilitate, but that's ultimately going to be the case for any QB prospect

No, Fields holds the ball because he is also looking for big plays. It has always been his defining trait. Fields might not end up the guy in Chicago, but I promise people will regret not keeping him once he is traded.

Also, I still prefer Drake Maye.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, Caleb has like the same flaws that Justin had coming out.

Flaws that are theoretically fixable, or flaws that can be worked around.

Hurts has the exact same flaws as both Justin and Caleb, but wanna know how you protect a dude who big play hunts.

Get a loving badass offensive line, and don't coach aggression out of him.

Justin in his first year with Nagy was far more willing to just let it loving rip. But maybe just maybe being with a coaching staff Flus and Getsy which coaches to protect the ball(might also like explain why Rodgers himself completely became so loving risk averse, which caused problems for him, when Getsy became his QB coach) means a player hesitates and waits a beat too long. Rodgers as one of the best singular talents to ever play the position after being in the league forever could do that and still be successful, Fields less so.

But yeah I also think I have Maye as my top QB, with Williams being 2, and Jayden Daniels being 3.

I think I would be fine for example with the Bears taking MHJ with the Panthers pick, and then using their pick to get Jayden Daniels.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I still can't believe Hurts turned into the QB he is. I watched his whole career at Bama while my inlaws yelled at him for taking sacks. I'm pretty sure I've said in the past that Fields in the pros seemed to become Hurts in college, seemingly regressing, while Hurts became a best case version of himself due to excellent coaching.

I'm gonna just keep banging the drum for MHJ because I've resigned myself to having Jim Miller Jr, Henry Burris II and Chad Hutchinson III as future Bears QBs.

Do you really think Jayden Daniels would be an upgrade over Fields? Daniels looked incredible every time I watched him but I don't know his flaws.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

If the Bears don't want Caleb Williams I would also be fine with the Vikings taking him

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

trevorreznik posted:

I still can't believe Hurts turned into the QB he is. I watched his whole career at Bama while my inlaws yelled at him for taking sacks. I'm pretty sure I've said in the past that Fields in the pros seemed to become Hurts in college, seemingly regressing, while Hurts became a best case version of himself due to excellent coaching.

I'm gonna just keep banging the drum for MHJ because I've resigned myself to having Jim Miller Jr, Henry Burris II and Chad Hutchinson III as future Bears QBs.

Do you really think Jayden Daniels would be an upgrade over Fields? Daniels looked incredible every time I watched him but I don't know his flaws.

I think Jayden Daniels is roughly a push with fields as we've seen him in the league so far. Fields was a significantly better prospect coming out.

Daniels has better mechanics coming out. Fields better athlete. Jayden is a pretty good athlete. Fields is obscene.

Daniels will get in trouble forcing to his number one into coverage from time to time. And has far more inconsistent accuracy than Fields did in college(Fields was hyper accurate on deep to middle passes in college tho).

You'd draft a QB just to trade fields and reset the clock and hope a new coaching staff wouldn't gently caress him up.

All of Jayden's problems are things that can be helped, because the Bears are in a much much better position surrounding cast wise than Fields had. It's fine if he zero's in on DJ Moore for example. Fields should do that more.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

trevorreznik posted:

As a layman who's watched a bunch of his games this season (but not his worst one vs. FSU), I kind of don't understand what his flaws are other than his willingness to take cartoonishly violent hits as as a runner. Looked really good and decisive in the pocket, made passes to all levels of the field, threw some elite deep balls and obviously is incredible in the open field as a runner once he escapes the pocket. My understanding is that his pocket passing skills took a big leap forward this season, so I guess you could question if that's really going to be a strength of his if he couldn't pull it off at the college level until he was in his fifth year, but the fact that he was able to consistently produce over the course of an entire season feels like a pretty solid sample size.

Until I read somebody smart who's able to sell me on the severity of his flaws, I am definitely secretly hoping that over the next few months of scouting, people put Daniels on the same general level as the other top QBs and the Bears end up coming away with him. Between him, Williams, and Maye, I definitely got the fewest "This guy isn't going to be able to cut it in the NFL playing like this" vibes during Daniels's games.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

xbilkis posted:

As a layman who's watched a bunch of his games this season (but not his worst one vs. FSU), I kind of don't understand what his flaws are other than his willingness to take cartoonishly violent hits as as a runner. Looked really good and decisive in the pocket, made passes to all levels of the field, threw some elite deep balls and obviously is incredible in the open field as a runner once he escapes the pocket. My understanding is that his pocket passing skills took a big leap forward this season, so I guess you could question if that's really going to be a strength of his if he couldn't pull it off at the college level until he was in his fifth year, but the fact that he was able to consistently produce over the course of an entire season feels like a pretty solid sample size.

Until I read somebody smart who's able to sell me on the severity of his flaws, I am definitely secretly hoping that over the next few months of scouting, people put Daniels on the same general level as the other top QBs and the Bears end up coming away with him. Between him, Williams, and Maye, I definitely got the fewest "This guy isn't going to be able to cut it in the NFL playing like this" vibes during Daniels's games.

He is very very dependent on first read, and turns out throwing to Nabers means you almost are never wrong zeroing in on one read. His accuracy like fields is very touch and go, but like his general mechanics are almost perfect. So I think it can be fixed.

But I think the improvement he's shown kinda shows he still has so much more ceiling to reach. Which is why I like him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm sure he has flaws but he's also putting up video game numbers in the SEC.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Niwrad posted:

I'm sure he has flaws but he's also putting up video game numbers in the SEC.

Daniels averaged 10.7 yards every time the ball was in his hand. He’s had an insane season. His top three receivers all have 18+ ypc. Just a big play machine.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
All the local guys think bears lions is going to be close and both the money and the meatballs on the radio are picking the bears wtf

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

All the local guys think bears lions is going to be close and both the money and the meatballs on the radio are picking the bears wtf

It's cold and they should've won the first time. I would not be shocked.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The lions haven’t been particularly good the last few weeks so I don’t see why they couldn’t

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CharlestheHammer posted:

The lions haven’t been particularly good the last few weeks so I don’t see why they couldn’t

You're including a time and win over this very same bears team

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Vegas has it as like 3.5

The Lions have been largely rear end recently.

Now add in it's supposed to be cold and maybe snowy and dear god are Jared Goff's splits in the elements complete loving rear end.

I for one would still never bet on the Bears. But I get it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Biggest thing is the Lions OL is banged up and Goff is also rear end under pressure.

If the Bears can get pressure on him consistently then yeah there's a good chance they could win.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

HootTheOwl posted:

You're including a time and win over this very same bears team

A game that was close and the bears should have won yes

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

CharlestheHammer posted:

A game that was close and the bears should have won yes

More to the point, a record breaking collapse in the final 4 minutes that has never happened before and likely wont happen again.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

ZombieCrew posted:

More to the point, a record breaking collapse in the final 4 minutes that has never happened before and likely wont happen again.

Yeah, but are the Bears going to have 4 turnovers again? This feels like the kind of game the Bears go full Bears and show their rear end. And this is coming from the optimistic Bears fan.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I'm optimistic that an offense that was uncharacteristically careless with the ball (and still scored 29 points in spite of that) can be better and give Chicago fewer chances than they did a few weeks ago, but nobody in Detroit has any confidence in their defense right now. Every drive they stop without allowing points feels like either a miracle or a gift handed to them by the opposing OC, like Chicago's 3-and-out in between those two touchdowns. It makes you feel like the offense needs to be perfect, and while they can be better than they were in Week 11, there's a big gap between perfect and Week 11, especially if you're down an All-Pro center.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sataere posted:

Yeah, but are the Bears going to have 4 turnovers again? This feels like the kind of game the Bears go full Bears and show their rear end. And this is coming from the optimistic Bears fan.

Jared Goff is so so bad in outdoor games in the cold or with wind

It is completely within his power to have another three to four turnover game.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Thank god for climate change huh folks

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Just to be clear. I don't think the Bears win, but I see a reasonable series of events that lead to it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah I think goes one of two ways: either the lions totally and utterly poo poo the bed and get destroyed, or they come out swinging and dominant and destroy the bears. I’m not sure there’s going to be a middle ground like the NO game

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Yeah I think goes one of two ways: either the lions totally and utterly poo poo the bed and get destroyed, or they come out swinging and dominant and destroy the bears. I’m not sure there’s going to be a middle ground like the NO game

I'm not so sure, every Lions game since the bye has pretty much been "does the offense have what it takes to outpace their abysmal defense" and they either just barely hold on or they don't. I think we're in for a close game.

Dexo posted:

Jared Goff is so so bad in outdoor games in the cold or with wind

didn't look so bad in the 21-degree weather at Lambeau last year

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

tinstaach posted:

I'm not so sure, every Lions game since the bye has pretty much been "does the offense have what it takes to outpace their abysmal defense" and they either just barely hold on or they don't. I think we're in for a close game.

didn't look so bad in the 21-degree weather at Lambeau last year

Hey man I'm just looking at historic numbers.

And they aren't great

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
The bears are going to win

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Personally, I just hope both teams have fun.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Weather Sunday just looks a little cold now, the rain and snow is all due tonight now.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MJeff posted:

Personally, I just hope both teams have fun.

Rob Lowe wearing the NFL cap dot gif

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I'm rooting for Robert Mueller and the rule of law, and also the Detroit Lions

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
But yeah in a game like this, especially with no Ragnow, I'm sure the Lions would love to just pound it down their opponents' throat with Montgomery and Gibbs so you're not putting Goff in a situation where the cold and a lot of pressure could gently caress him up, but the Bears have a really good run defense, so.

We'll see! It will definitely be a game played between two football teams, and one of them might even win.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lol it’s going to be 56 here tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

trevorreznik posted:

The bears are going to win

lmao