Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

thinking about taking up rucking on days where I don't get to ride the bike

gave this a very gentle try today. 3 km with a 5 kg pack. enough to work up a good sweat. I think I could do more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It'll get your heart rate up at least, and walking is nice.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

If you do start rucksacking make sure to get a backpack with a beefy waist strap. When it's on and cinched up the waist strap should be holding 70 to 80% of the weight with the arm straps only handling 20% ish. If there's also a chest strap then it will handle a little bit as well. But the shoulder and chest straps should mainly be there to stabilize the backpack. As someone who does hiking let me tell you that these types of backpacks will save you a ton of back pain later on.

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
walking with extra weight is an insanely easy way to hurt your shoulders and or neck but yeah if you can get the weight on your hips it aint so bad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Get into cyclocross and let the bike be your ruck.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I use this for going on flights as it's cheap, but also perfectly fits as a "personal item" while carrying 3 days of clothing and all the other knickknacks you need for travel. Just strapping on this backpack rather than having to wheel around something at the airport is much nicer, and it feels like it weighs almost nothing when properly done.

For a day hike I use this which has a super lightweight frame to keep pack away from your back, so the mesh lets air in back there to keep you cool. You'd need more than 20L for more than a day hike though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

I use this for going on flights as it's cheap, but also perfectly fits as a "personal item" while carrying 3 days of clothing and all the other knickknacks you need for travel. Just strapping on this backpack rather than having to wheel around something at the airport is much nicer, and it feels like it weighs almost nothing when properly done.

For a day hike I use this which has a super lightweight frame to keep pack away from your back, so the mesh lets air in back there to keep you cool. You'd need more than 20L for more than a day hike though.

oh! I live quite near to a Decathlon. Thank you for the advice - if I'm going to invest in this I will definitely take the recommendations into consideration.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you do start rucksacking make sure to get a backpack with a beefy waist strap. When it's on and cinched up the waist strap should be holding 70 to 80% of the weight with the arm straps only handling 20% ish. If there's also a chest strap then it will handle a little bit as well. But the shoulder and chest straps should mainly be there to stabilize the backpack. As someone who does hiking let me tell you that these types of backpacks will save you a ton of back pain later on.

this. weight straps are indispensable.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

People really seem to like Decathlon for the price point. If I ever get another pack with a hip belt that isn't specifically for hiking I'm probably going to get a Mystery Ranch because they're incredibly tough and have fantastic suspension systems.

woke operator
Nov 17, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fitzy Fitz posted:

People really seem to like Decathlon for the price point. If I ever get another pack with a hip belt that isn't specifically for hiking I'm probably going to get a Mystery Ranch because they're incredibly tough and have fantastic suspension systems.
I kinda miss having a decathlon store around. it's like a massive big 5 but everything is pretty cheap and decent. still use some bags and footwear I got there years ago.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

appreciative that he didn't cheap out and went with the Oakley Jawbones

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

carry big rocks like goku

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

BONGHITZ posted:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

lol dbz/goku was exactly what I thought of the first time I saw a dude hiking around the city park with a barbell plate strapped to his chest

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There's a guy here who carries a firehose on his shoulders while he pushes his kid in a stroller.

A lot of popular exercise right now is overly sterile, and I don't blame people for trying to find ways to make it feel more interesting or purposeful, even if it seems weird at first glance. The recent history of exercise is basically that we removed the necessity for physical activity from our daily lives (cars and white collar jobs) and then rediscovered the need for exercise in the '80s when Jane Fonda came on the scene, but we didn't necessarily find ways to make it purposeful again. Obviously lots of people play sports or do group activities, but the gym as the default exercise activity is a mistake for a lot of people.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i have a little deuter pack for when i run commute. the waist and chest straps are key to help prevent bouncing especially while carrying a laptop. you can run with even more weight during fastpacking, but you need your gear dialed in.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There's a guy here who carries a firehose on his shoulders while he pushes his kid in a stroller.

A lot of popular exercise right now is overly sterile, and I don't blame people for trying to find ways to make it feel more interesting or purposeful, even if it seems weird at first glance. The recent history of exercise is basically that we removed the necessity for physical activity from our daily lives (cars and white collar jobs) and then rediscovered the need for exercise in the '80s when Jane Fonda came on the scene, but we didn't necessarily find ways to make it purposeful again. Obviously lots of people play sports or do group activities, but the gym as the default exercise activity is a mistake for a lot of people.

the outdoors are the real gym. a steep mountain run gives me DOMS two days out like a leg day in the gym.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

this. weight straps are indispensable.

Panniers take all the weight off your shoulders, they're pretty neat

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

picking up some groceries and the christmas tree with some cars ruining my photo

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Goa Tse-tung posted:

looks like a replica imo

steering wheel on the right side and way too round, the old rabbits had edges everywhere

you're right, the bends are way too gentle

my friend had a 79 rabbit and cutting a set of gill-shaped air vents in the hood raised the top speed of the car by like 5mph

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mauser posted:

picking up some groceries and the christmas tree with some cars ruining my photo

nice

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I also ride with a tree in the back to offset my carbon emissions.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

one of my friends told me his niece got hit by a car today. she's thankfully not injured in a life wrecking way but broke some bones and is also extremely upset and in a lot of pain. cars... theyre bad folks.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Rip to that kid I hope for a swift recovery. I'm doing my part taking cars off the street

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

cars... theyre bad folks.

more and more people are saying this

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lobster shirt posted:

one of my friends told me his niece got hit by a car today. she's thankfully not injured in a life wrecking way but broke some bones and is also extremely upset and in a lot of pain. cars... theyre bad folks.

gonna give all my nieces anf nephews orange vests for xmas

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sounds like the problem is bones (too many) and the solution is impact absorbing fluid/gel wrapped around vital organs (not enough)

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
make every pedestrian dress like this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/braitsch/status/1733206204359331866?t=4vDqnHbs7v_ueQsYOhVlqQ&s=19

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dl4Ag5l8i8

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Nah thanks, I'm not going to get propagandized by watching something funded whole or in part by the Chinese government. I'll get my news about cars from independent sources funded whole or in part by automobile advertisements.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The kids will be suspended, and CPS will investigate you, obviously.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I biked to school and just walked in. Are they making all kids go through the car line check in so they can run them through the metal detectors?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I biked to school and just walked in. Are they making all kids go through the car line check in so they can run them through the metal detectors?

The last time I read an actual story about this sort of situation, it was about the school banning walking and biking because those modes were getting in the way of the enormous line of cars dropping kids off.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

of course i wouldn't want them to walk a mile

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kids walk to and from school alone but it's less than a half mile. I don't think the school system would even offer a bus ride to our house.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my kids walk to and from school alone but it's less than a half mile. I don't think the school system would even offer a bus ride to our house.

Yeah you're expected to drive them

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

It's cool and normal to wish harm and death on people whose dress you deem "flashy overkill".

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The kids will be suspended, and CPS will investigate you, obviously.

this, but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Maroon Hawk posted:

this, but unironically

It’s an absurd question on its face, but society is so absurd that such concerns are legitimate.