Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I've probably never even heard of that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Empty Sandwich posted:

I've probably never even heard of that guy

You wouldn’t have

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I knew him when he was still Umber Cucumber

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Data Graham posted:

The one on youtube is just the original video with the alternate lyrics from what I could see, that's why I'm talking about the other links which have the actual animation.

Is forgotten the part of that with Lowtax getting his dick sucked by eBaum.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Kit Walker posted:

drat, man. I used to drink like 6-7 a day and even I felt like that was on the high end of things. Ended up switching to decaf a few months ago with basically no noticeable change in my life beyond the first two somewhat unpleasant weeks of withdrawal. I just have fewer occasions where I sit around completely useless for a couple hours because my heart rate is way too high and I’m just vibrating

Caffeine never seemed much of an effect on me, my heart rate was always a steady 60 no matter how much coffee or soda i drank.

The lemonade thing made me think of when me and my friends were gross teenagers, each with our own bag of doritos and 2 litre bottles of mountain dew to chug during beavis and butthead.

It's a wonder we survived

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Ryan O’Neal is dead so imagine there’s a pic of Shaq here

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Nicolas Coprophage

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

teen witch posted:

Ryan O’Neal is dead so imagine there’s a pic of Shaq here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5k_arVcqR8

I’ve been wanting to rewatch Paper Moon, maybe it’s a sign

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/OHkK9wM.mp4

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I just finished listening to him read lotr and have like 2 hours left on the silmarillion. Andy Serkis is the best

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You say that but he actually sings the songs instead of skipping them like a normal person

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Spotted in the wild

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

titties posted:

Caffeine never seemed much of an effect on me, my heart rate was always a steady 60 no matter how much coffee or soda i drank.

The lemonade thing made me think of when me and my friends were gross teenagers, each with our own bag of doritos and 2 litre bottles of mountain dew to chug during beavis and butthead.

It's a wonder we survived

Back then your liver and kidneys were all shiny and new.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Back then your liver and kidneys were all shiny and new.

Pictured: My liver and kidneys back then.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Azhais posted:

You say that but he actually sings the songs instead of skipping them like a normal person

Probably better than the 90s version I have been listening to lately of some dude trying to do the same.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

TK-42-1 posted:

I just finished listening to him read lotr and have like 2 hours left on the silmarillion. Andy Serkis is the best
Does he do a bunch of different voices? I'm picturing the Simpson meme with the whole class looking at Bart and "say the line", then its Andy Serkis saying "Precious" with the Gollum voice.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

titties posted:

Caffeine never seemed much of an effect on me

Imagine finding out that you've been self-medicating your adhd by reading some random comment in a meme thread on a gay dead internet forum

vvv: sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but webmd says it's terminal cancer :(

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 07:06 on Dec 9, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Caffeine makes my hyper for 20 minutes and then I crash and get sleepy for hours afterwards.

Someone please diagnose what this means I don't have healthcare

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The Demilich posted:

I'm sorry to report that you are American.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oh God, there has to be something you can do :ohdear:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

"Just move somewhere with better healthcare" is what I usually get told :shrug:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm told the solution is gold fringe on the flag

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

The Demilich posted:

Caffeine makes my hyper for 20 minutes and then I crash and get sleepy for hours afterwards.

do more meth

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Demilich posted:

You're dead and a ghost.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Probably better than the 90s version I have been listening to lately of some dude trying to do the same.

I'd say that despite them being called "songs" by the text itself they read better as poems. That's how I've been reading them, I'm currently going through the books for the first time and it's been a real tickle to see that all the ancient races: elves, dwarves, hobbits, ents, and the rest all came up with the same dynamic for a song. that being the rhyme scheme unfailingly looks like:

a
b
a
b

repeat til done. I began to wonder if in the later books someone would have pointed this out to him and maybe he'd throw a curveball and change the formula and lo and behold I start the two towers and there are songs with different rhyme schemes and I laugh even more. (it reverts back to the same old formula after a few songs tho)

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Zereth posted:

You're dead and a ghost.

Ghosts in the blood, do cocaine about it

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcLPNGLRHU8

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

gamers rise up

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

we need to drink the red liquid lemonade from the cursed dark sarcophagus Panera Bread in the form of some sort of carbonated energy drink so we can assume its powers and finally die

cat posts.txt
Oct 16, 2023

Lib and let die posted:

Spotted in the wild

My brain begs for context yet my heart knows it's not happening. Bladderstones just live there now.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

cat posts.txt posted:

My brain begs for context yet my heart knows it's not happening. Bladderstones just live there now.

Minnesota Urolith Center

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

I'd say that despite them being called "songs" by the text itself they read better as poems. That's how I've been reading them, I'm currently going through the books for the first time and it's been a real tickle to see that all the ancient races: elves, dwarves, hobbits, ents, and the rest all came up with the same dynamic for a song. that being the rhyme scheme unfailingly looks like:

a
b
a
b

repeat til done. I began to wonder if in the later books someone would have pointed this out to him and maybe he'd throw a curveball and change the formula and lo and behold I start the two towers and there are songs with different rhyme schemes and I laugh even more. (it reverts back to the same old formula after a few songs tho)

JRRT was a poet first and foremost, not a song lyricist, and his fiction developed out of his poetry, not the other way around. The "songs" in LotR are often just fresh versions of poems he had been working on for decades at that point. And while none of them work particularly well as "songs" (setting a poem to music and calling it a "song" pretty much ruins any hope you have of knowing its meter just from the text), if you read and analyze them as poems with unique metrical structures it becomes easily as interesting as anything else he produced. Those songs the Rohirrim recite for example are Anglo-Saxon alliterative verses following the pattern of Beowulf, and "Earendil was a mariner" is like the sixth version he wrote of something with super-intricate internal rhymes and that was intended to be read as fast as possible and over and over until your audience physically tackled you to make you stop.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Data Graham posted:

JRRT was a poet first and foremost, not a song lyricist, and his fiction developed out of his poetry, not the other way around. The "songs" in LotR are often just fresh versions of poems he had been working on for decades at that point. And while none of them work particularly well as "songs" (setting a poem to music and calling it a "song" pretty much ruins any hope you have of knowing its meter just from the text), if you read and analyze them as poems with unique metrical structures it becomes easily as interesting as anything else he produced. Those songs the Rohirrim recite for example are Anglo-Saxon alliterative verses following the pattern of Beowulf, and "Earendil was a mariner" is like the sixth version he wrote of something with super-intricate internal rhymes and that was intended to be read as fast as possible and over and over until your audience physically tackled you to make you stop.

This is actually a perfect encapsulation of why I despise the LotR books despite enjoying The Hobbit so much. Dude got way up his own rear end and forgot to make me give a poo poo about the story and characters.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Reading LOTR for the plot is like reading Hustler for the articles

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The movies are also far more accessible for both.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Modal Auxiliary posted:

This is actually a perfect encapsulation of why I despise… LotR…

Same

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Modal Auxiliary posted:

This is actually a perfect encapsulation of why I despise the LotR books despite enjoying The Hobbit so much. Dude got way up his own rear end and forgot to make me give a poo poo about the story and characters.
Aside from the preciousness about how much LotR means to a lot of people, I think it's a reasonable bet that JirT didn't care that much about literary success. When you're already a successful university professor at one of the top upper-class Universities of your day who can publicly dunk on Nazis, the novels are clearly more of a "this is what I wanna do and idgaf if you don't like it bb it's called taste" passion project.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I will never not appreciate JRR Tolkien for actually thinking through his fantasy cultures and languages. The influence he's had on later fantasy is massive, but unfortunately many fantasy authors - even if they wrote stories that are very good and often even superior to the story arcs Tolkien created - just decided on cargo-culting the linguistic aspects, made up dumb names with lots of Zs, Xs and Qs and called it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone