Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So as someone who didn't play the beta, is there any stuff abut character builds I should know? Like my main experience with these sorts of games is PST and Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 back when. Like are there any skill/attributes/classes/abilities that are just worthless? Or like 'Fellowship/whatever stops having meaning effects after X, so don't pump it past that.' etc etc?
Like just some basic 'here's how to build your character to get the most out of the game/not gimp yourself.' I don't care about minmaxing, per se, but I do care about being gimped or missing out on stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This game feels really obtuse. Where are these Explosives I'm supposed to loot to blow up a door early on? I've clicked and alt clicked on everything and I can't find jack poo poo.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

pentyne posted:

The power armors are 75% DR, the heavy armor is only 50%. Unless I'm reading it wrong its not a percentage of your dodge reduced, if you have 60% dodge, then heavy armor reduces that to 10% dodge.

Not sure if it's worth trying to squeeze out 10-20% dodge for a character in heavy armor, in melee isn't it a parry/dodge calculation and just uses the best one?

Ah you're right about armor being a flat reduction to dodge. It's possible for an enemy's Dodge Reduction to reduce your dodge chance to 0% or below so if your dodge is low enough that it'll be 0% anyway then Nimble has no use. It looks like on average Chapter 2 enemies have ~30-35% dodge reduction so it's not going to be enough to invalidate Dodge on anyone, but in Chapter 3+ dodge is probably useless for your low-Agility characters. I'm using light/medium armor on everyone currently in Chapter 2 because dodge owns hard at this point in the game.

Dodge and Parry both roll separately in melee and if either check passes, you avoid the attack.

Sab669 posted:

This game feels really obtuse. Where are these Explosives I'm supposed to loot to blow up a door early on? I've clicked and alt clicked on everything and I can't find jack poo poo.

You have to interact with a terminal to open a door and find the explosives behind it, IIRC

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 9, 2023

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

what...what kind of monster would pick a dialogue option like this?!?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

For Abelard, I took Combat Master to negate melee superiority. I tend to send him first in. I am considering dueling mastery.
I guess Nimble would be good for dodgier characters

Frrom all the weapon related talents, lowering heavy weapon requirement can open a new avenue for certain characters. And it gets further impactful common talents.

Ironically, Abelard actually has a better option than Combat Master if you're concerned about superiority. One of the Brace for Impact improvements gives everyone affected by it immunity to that... for the rest of combat (NOT only the 1 turn Brace is active).

frajaq posted:

The game has been great about just giving the player the option to be as much of a petty dick with authority as they want.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

frajaq posted:

From what I've seen so far Abelard basically wants you to be this person

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

frajaq posted:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I will admit it's a grind getting to the point where the game really opens up. Playing through to where you start being able to explore sectors feels like an obsidian tutorial, You know 25-hour act 1 / prologue. The telos special.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Phoix posted:

From what I've seen so far Abelard basically wants you to be this person

In-setting, this is how secure and strong Imperial authority figures and aristocracy are generally expected to behave. Subordinates are tools to be used and discarded and no one has time to care about their emotional needs and weaknesses. Being a sympathetic noble or authority figure who actually cares about human life below a certain rank makes you a complete weirdo eccentric.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Aww man, just had the game lock up right at the end of a particularly long combat when it was in mop up mode.

It's kind of comical how many things you can kill in one turn if you think things through carefully and aren't melee. Argenta is a ridiculous murder machine, like, drat.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like that even when you are being nice, being nice amounts to having others throw candy at orphans.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Eifert Posting posted:

Emperor's Children are the biggest chumps from the heresy though unless you count the Word Bearers... or the Night Lords... or the iron warriors... or the alpha legion lol.

Horus isn't sending his best, folks.

The EC made out like gangbusters after the Siege. Instead of committing to the Palace, they spent most of their time looting and rounding up slaves, so they were sitting pretty when all the traitors ran back to the Eye.

At least, they were until the Black Legion decided to make an example out of them.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

frajaq posted:

I'm guessing this is talking with Cassia since for some reason 4/5 dialogue options with her are insanely harsh. You don't even get to talk to Idra that way????

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Janissary Hop posted:

I'm guessing this is talking with Cassia since for some reason 4/5 dialogue options with her are insanely harsh. You don't even get to talk to Idra that way????

They didn't want a rehash of nerds accidentally romancing Gale and getting mad about it, I guess. You can take the "you are so perfect m'lady waifu" option or tell her to gently caress off :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

You have to interact with a terminal to open a door and find the explosives behind it, IIRC

I reloaded and found the panel you're talking about, I swear that wasn't interactable before... I found a guide online that just shows a body slumped up against a wall that they were supposedly able to loot for the Melta Charges but :shrug:

and wtf, I picked the first Heretical option after that and then I get teleported to a room with a weapon which requires me to be a bigger Heretic in order to equip it. Lame.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wonder why they renamed the three alignments from the Beta.

I’m going full Empire for this playthrough. Crime Lord who made it big and wants to stay on top.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Interrogator says Omnissiah wrong lol

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can anyone explain what an Exploit is?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Arglebargle III posted:

Exploits are created by (and used by) Operatives to fuel their special powers. Analyze Enemies gives enemies exploits and their other active powers burn them for effects, like Expose Weakness being 'The Operative removes all exploits from the target to decrease the target's dodge, parry, and armour by −(10 + exploits stacks × PER bonus)% until the start of the Operative's next turn.'

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

The Operative class puts an Exploit on every enemy that they can see at the start of their turn, they also have abilities that give more exploits. They can then either hit enemies with exploit to do extra damage or remove the exploits to debuff the enemy or buff the party.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
God this romance poo poo is embarrassing. I just met the woman ten minutes ago and I can be like “I am smitten with thy radiant beauty,” Jesus Christ.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I know Owlcat doesn't have the luxury of a million person studio and years of development time but going from Baldurs Gate 3 with its zero loading screens to this is brutal. I'm in warp, asked to resolve something on the ship, loading screen, resolve incident, loading screen, return to map, loading screen. I hate it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So in the early fight where you bring Cassia to Felek is your whole party supposed to be reduced to 1 AP for 8 turns? Seems like a party wipe.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

Navigators are amongst the most visible 'accepted' abhumans in the Imperium, and are purpose-bred for a particularly dangerous and morally suspect purpose, which naturally doesn't gel well with the lunatic turboracism of the Cruellest, Most Bloody Regime Imaginable (TM). If you're not a little bit antsy around the three-eyed freak who spends her life staring into the Warp, you're letting the side down.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 9, 2023

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cassia's got three navigator mutations. That's more than typical and the one where she makes everyone around her feel her emotions with uncontrollable intensity is really quite bad.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Navigators are amongst the most visible 'accepted' abhumans in the Imperium, and are purpose-bred for a particularly dangerous and morally suspect purpose, which naturally doesn't gel well with the lunatic turboracism of the Cruellest, Most Bloody Regime Imaginable (TM). If you're not a little bit antsy around the three-eyed freak who spends her life staring into the Warp, you're letting the side down.

Honest reading between the lines of what dialogue you get and even having the perk "Unnatural Allure" in the cards, it kinda feels like Navigators are a particular kind of mutant that people are either dogmatically uneasy around or bizarrely attracted to, with no in-between.

In other news, right behind the topic of lunches served in prison, "Dumbass rogue trader makes machine spirit obey, techpriests baffled" might be my favorite scene so far.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Arglebargle III posted:

So in the early fight where you bring Cassia to Felek is your whole party supposed to be reduced to 1 AP for 8 turns? Seems like a party wipe.

Think the optimal way to play that is figure out Felek is the traitor and kill him before you even go to get Cassia

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I am only just starting but I got my first talent and the talent list is a mile long. How do I even begin to parse this for things I might want to take over others? I'm a voidborn noble Operative if that helps at all. So far loving what the prologue is showing off, I actually get a laugh out of getting lectured by everyone for dialogue options that don't vibe with the usual 40k fanaticism.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Seems like a lot of the early game encounters are solved by having two officers feeding extra turns to Argenta and her old friend rooty-tooty-point-and-shooty.

Ordinarily I’d try to woo her away from the Emperor’s light but apparently we’re not allowed to make out with the space nuns so the mutant wife wins by default I guess!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Honest reading between the lines of what dialogue you get and even having the perk "Unnatural Allure" in the cards, it kinda feels like Navigators are a particular kind of mutant that people are either dogmatically uneasy around or bizarrely attracted to, with no in-between.

In other news, right behind the topic of lunches served in prison, "Dumbass rogue trader makes machine spirit obey, techpriests baffled" might be my favorite scene so far.

TT navigators roll on a pretty lengthy mutation table, once for some houses, twice for others, and then more times as they level up. Cassia's got it pretty bad, but you could easily get a navigator just as creepy through having a weird house and rolling some bad results.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 9, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If I remember right the tabletop RPG has multiple mechanics for people feeling icky around navigators.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Naah, most Navigators are just heavily inbred in addition to being mutants - can't risk losing those oh-so-valuable third eyes. Cassia was lucky to even be mildly attractive, let alone supernaturally hot.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The first Navigator honestly sounded a lot like the Navigator from the original 80's Dune Movie, except not floating around in orange gas. I think Dune's navigator guild was actually an inspiration for 40ks Navigators.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It bears reminding that Cassia was basically a special experiment by her house, so she's not exactly a bog-standard (...to the extent you can say that about Navigators in the first place) one anyways. "Heavily emotionally screws over everyone in a fairly large radius on occasion" is a bit more major than what you're dealing with normally in regards to Navigators - most of the time it's just going to be something physical or something with effects right around them.

edit: Like, this is missable since it's entirely possible to end the conversation early and proceed to combat, and the loyal one in that case will just say it's about ambition or something in that case when you talk with him, but the traitor Navigator will basically flat out call her an abomination if you go down all his talking options. It's not just normal Imperials who have issues with her.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 9, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Syrnn posted:

I am only just starting but I got my first talent and the talent list is a mile long. How do I even begin to parse this for things I might want to take over others? I'm a voidborn noble Operative if that helps at all. So far loving what the prologue is showing off, I actually get a laugh out of getting lectured by everyone for dialogue options that don't vibe with the usual 40k fanaticism.

You kind of have to read the talents, the sorting is pretty good at separating them into categories, support, offense, defense etc.

I would take early talents that maximize your damage potential, things that lower dodge/armor, improve hit chance, etc. With weapon proficiences you want to pick one lane at the start and stick with it, you won't have the equipment to be flexible for a couple of hours and several levels later.

Sometimes you get a choice for archetype and general talents, sometimes only general. You don't want to take a general talent instead of an archetype especially early on unless you are building some amazing synergy. Same for homeworld & origin.

The game is big on party synergy and specializing so anything you can see with combine/boost to already existing abilities is good, things like "buff if a party member is under a psyker effect" if you plan to always keep a pskyer in the party (you should).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ryuujin posted:

The first Navigator honestly sounded a lot like the Navigator from the original 80's Dune Movie, except not floating around in orange gas. I think Dune's navigator guild was actually an inspiration for 40ks Navigators.

40K steals ideas liberally, I mean, discovers other franchises and plunders their tropes for the glory of the God-Emperor and the Dynasty.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Naah, most Navigators are just heavily inbred in addition to being mutants - can't risk losing those oh-so-valuable third eyes. Cassia was lucky to even be mildly attractive, let alone supernaturally hot.
Most tabletop art of navigators is pretty human looking. They massively tone down how gross any given imperial person looks as soon as they become playable or have to be a miniature. Also there is a general assumption that the more monstrous navigators are kept hidden away from normal imperials.

Like this guy from the 2010s ain't winning any hotness awards but Cassia isn't out of the question for tabletop.

Ryuujin posted:

In general if something sounds like it's from Dune in 40k, it was more explicitly stolen from Dune in earlier editions. Same for Judge Dredd.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gotta say I think the dialogue writers understand the setting very well. I enjoyed being able to open fire on the lower deck strikers and still be treated like a rational person, not a slavering maniac. I feel like BG3 my companions would have been horrified, but in 40K there's no room for a Lord-Captain to tolerate those who shelter heretics and rebel against their divinely-appointed masters.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
What's a good psyker approach if you just want to murder people at a distance with your brain? Tentacles or whatever are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wonder why they renamed the three alignments from the Beta.

I’m going full Empire for this playthrough. Crime Lord who made it big and wants to stay on top.

Iconoclast funnily enough has Chaos connotations in the 40k setting, so maybe they're implying you're gonna fall if you pick it? That or they just wanted to avoid you picking the "good" option automatically