Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

"The plot for AW2 is too direct and obvious" *proceeds to post spoiler tags filled with completely wrong poo poo*

is becoming such an omnipresent posting style. Everyone who is doing this poo poo is just proving that the game's narrative isn't nearly as transparent or simplistic as some people say it is.

Also Twin Peaks: The Return is absolutely loving filled with exposition, go back and rewatch it. People making emphatic statements about what art in that vein should or shouldn't do as a rule are full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

"The plot for AW2 is too direct and obvious" *proceeds to post spoiler tags filled with completely wrong poo poo*

is becoming such an omnipresent posting style. Everyone who is doing this poo poo is just proving that the game's narrative isn't nearly as transparent or simplistic as some people say it is.

Also Twin Peaks: The Return is absolutely loving filled with exposition, go back and rewatch it. People making emphatic statements about what art in that vein should or shouldn't do as a rule are full of poo poo.

this. if you didn't like it, you can just say "I didn't like this". You don't have to re-write reality like our favorite pill popping author to suit your point

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

(Alan Wake 2) I have no idea how you could have gotten the idea that Saga and Casey were non existent before the game when Saga's whole story is about fixing her life to be the way it was before Alan Wake/Scratch hosed it up and Alan specifically states he twisted Casey into the character he was writing from what he was before

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm assuming Basic Channel just thumbed through an LP or something because that makes more sense than someone paying $70 for a game they don't like from a developer they historically don't like just so they can come into the Something Awful Horror Thread and talk about how much they think it sucks rear end.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The Alone in the Dark reboot is delayed until March so developers can 'avoid any potential crunch over the Christmas holidays'

Disappointed, but I do want this game to be good so I'm willing to see how it goes.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Basic Chunnel posted:

I was really bullish on CONTROL until it became apparent to me that every uncanny valley-rear end dude who was like “gosh ma’am I just work here” was in fact a dude who just worked there. Everyone is imminently forthcoming and, worse, they’re always on the level with Jesse.

CONTROL plays with a lot of influences but the main reason I tend to bristle against Remedy games is that they tend to have the simplest, most surface-level takeaways from referents that are often really interesting. And when the referents are really weird there’s the unfortunate appearance of sanitizing those referents by de-complicating them.

Like, the other half of obvious reference in CONTROL besides SCP is Annihilation, and to me Annihilation’s facelessness of character is used to good effect in that the characters aren’t actually thin, it’s just that their secrets remain secret from the reader. CONTROL by contrast seems to take that method as a license to use simple absence of character detail as an atmosphere-building element… but the “office drones waiting through the apocalypse like they’re waiting for someone to restore lost internet” thing wears thin pretty quickly.

What actually pulled me through CONTROL was my overestimation of it; I kept expecting that the harnesses were the proverbial Radioactive Man goggles and that no one was actually safe from infection. But no, they worked exactly as they were said to, just like everything else is exactly as it appears. Iirc it wasn’t even a “power of belief” thing but a deus ex machina, another manifestation of the player’s benevolent Old God.

Anyway, people who are into the weird sci fi vibes of CONTROL might like PREY, an extremely good and very weird bit of mind-bending alien psychedelia; the visual aesthetic is similarly mid-century modern but blended with NASA functional-industrial design more than brutalism. Even better, it has characters. They’re often as clueless as CONTROL’s but tragically so.

I agree with all of this but weirdly its exactly why I love Control. Wading through corporate bureaucracy being as much of a nightmare as cosmic unknown entity invasion was like it was written specifically for me. I just wish Same Lake’s Steven King inspiration didn’t include not knowing how to end a story in a satisfying way.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Blockhouse posted:

I'm assuming Basic Channel just thumbed through an LP or something because that makes more sense than someone paying $70 for a game they don't like from a developer they historically don't like just so they can come into the Something Awful Horror Thread and talk about how much they think it sucks rear end.
I’m an adult with a job that allows me not to be an “oh no my $60” skinflint. I get a lot of fun out of engaging with things I don’t commit to praising and I don’t consider time or money spent on anything I don’t absolutely love as wasted. You can make your own fun out of bad art. Honestly it’s a way of living with art and expression that more people should try.

Mr E posted:

(Alan Wake 2) I have no idea how you could have gotten the idea that Saga and Casey were non existent before the game when Saga's whole story is about fixing her life to be the way it was before Alan Wake/Scratch hosed it up and Alan specifically states he twisted Casey into the character he was writing from what he was before
A big part of why I don’t really buy the “real people crossing into a zone of influence” thing is because the Alex Casey thing is a little too cute. The extent to which he’s only half made-up, with the other half being a collection of convenient coincidences, is lame.

In any event I’d rather Alex Casey be a character who is fictional within the fiction, written by Alan Wake to believe he was real and implanted into the lives of the characters — that’s horrifying — than an existing character who is written by Sam Lake to have come to Bright Falls with very convenient coincidence already established, a character who is contrived on two different levels. Tbh this also applies to Saga’s “real” ties to the area.

Hell, I’m not sure why Wake / Scratch should make minor tweaks to timelines and outcomes in their Demiurge war. Make Saga and Alex completely different people than they think they are, simply buried in the occult simulation. Go Swamp Thing with it. The X-Files with the carnivorous LSD cave fungus did this particular thing better.

All of which is to say I cleave to the whole-cloth interpretation in large part because it makes those contrived touches of plot do work rather than bear excess weight. If you’re going to make Alan Wake out to be a hack who is making reality into hackwork, make it total, make reality before his influence less hacky. It would be both far weirder in a good way and less convoluted.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

weekly font posted:

I agree with all of this but weirdly its exactly why I love Control. Wading through corporate bureaucracy being as much of a nightmare as cosmic unknown entity invasion was like it was written specifically for me. I just wish Same Lake’s Steven King inspiration didn’t include not knowing how to end a story in a satisfying way.

I'm there with you, the bizarre corporate atmosphere in Control was amazing for me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if you want to expound on the story you wished you were experiencing then AO3 is right over there, but please don’t subject everyone to your bloviating misunderstandings of a story while insisting it’s too simplistic

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
It's cringe as gently caress that "ur too dumb to understand it" became the stock response by insecure dingleberries when someone else doesn't like the thing they like.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Chillmatic posted:

It's cringe as gently caress that "ur too dumb to understand it" became the stock response by insecure dingleberries when someone else doesn't like the thing they like.

That isn't what's happening here. They're getting basic story points wrong. I don't care that they don't like a game I don't like.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Looks like they’re too dumb to understand it

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

It was announced at the video game awards that Kojima and Jordan Peele are working on a horror game together called OD. The teaser trailer doesn't reveal much beyond actors Sophia Lillis, Hunter Schafer, and Udo Kier being in the game. They each recite a weird pangram, and then we see Sophia's character scream at a door opening, which we can only see in the reflection of her eyes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

glitchwraith posted:

It was announced at the video game awards that Kojima and Jordan Peele are working on a horror game together called OD. The teaser trailer doesn't reveal much beyond actors Sophia Lillis, Hunter Schafer, and Udo Kier being in the game. They each recite a weird pangram, and then we see Sophia's character scream at a door opening, which we can only see in the reflection of her eyes.

Kojima has wormed his way into directly working with a movie director, he just has to take that one last step and he'll finally be making normal movies like he always dreamed of.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wellll....

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Let's go with "non-interactive" then

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

He even did the stock standard “this is NOT a game, we are BEYOND games” schtick.

Excited to see which FROMsoft design innovation he’ll take credit for this time around. Timed parries? World reactivity to emotes? Fat rolling? Only time will tell.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

CuddleCryptid posted:

Kojima has wormed his way into directly working with a movie director, he just has to take that one last step and he'll finally be making normal movies like he always dreamed of.

In what world would Kojima be interested in telling a story in only 2.5 hours?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

weekly font posted:

Sort of funny that OP's reference for Control besides SCP is Annihilation when it's way more Authority, which literally is about how bureaucracy is as much of a nightmare as an unknown entity (and the main character is named Control, and there's a ton about how we don't or can't understand stuff and even when we think we do, boundaries and containment are never as absolute as we'd like to think). If you haven't read it I'd wholly recommend it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

parasyte posted:

Sort of funny that OP's reference for Control besides SCP is Annihilation when it's way more Authority, which literally is about how bureaucracy is as much of a nightmare as an unknown entity (and the main character is named Control, and there's a ton about how we don't or can't understand stuff and even when we think we do, boundaries and containment are never as absolute as we'd like to think). If you haven't read it I'd wholly recommend it.

That funny, I read those some time after playing Control, but I didn't notice the thematic connection. I didn't like the latter two books as much as Annihilation because the stylistic change threw me at the time, but I really like the bureaucratic nightmare angle they share with Control. I'll have to go back and give them a re-read.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

He even did the stock standard “this is NOT a game, we are BEYOND games” schtick.

Excited to see which FROMsoft design innovation he’ll take credit for this time around. Timed parries? World reactivity to emotes? Fat rolling? Only time will tell.

What

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Basic Chunnel posted:

What? Kojima is all about copying/repetition, but when has he copied DS?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

A Strand Game is a game where ppl leave notes for one another, asynchronously, even if they don’t physically exist in one another’s worlds. This mechanic was first seen in Death Stranding (2019). Strand games are named for their design debt to Death Stranding (2019)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Basic Chunnel posted:

A Strand Game is a game where ppl leave notes for one another, asynchronously, even if they don’t physically exist in one another’s worlds. This mechanic was first seen in Death Stranding (2019). Strand games are named for their design debt to Death Stranding (2019)

You mean signs? Which is part of the whole survival /builder genre most of the other mechanics are stolen from , games like Ark, Conan Exiles, loving Minecraft.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like doing "Dark Souls invented the concept of asynchronous multiplayer" is ridiculous. It also isn't something Dark Souls invented as there were Wizardry clones that had similar things long beforehand. "Players can leave notes for each other" was something being experimented on basically the moment the internet became meaningful enough to support it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 8, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a difference between leaving notes and having other players physically affect your world like Death Stranding

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alternatively, drat I can't believe DS copied DS

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like doing "Dark Souls invented the concept of asynchronous multiplayer" is ridiculous. It also isn't something Dark Souls invented as there were Wizardry clones that had similar things long beforehand. "Players can leave notes for each other" was something being experimented on basically the moment the internet became meaningful enough to support it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You misunderstand me. I don’t mean to say that FROM invented that. How could they have? They weren’t involved in the development of Death Stranding, the original Strand game which preceded the entire genre we all know and love.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

You misunderstand me. I don’t mean to say that FROM invented that. How could they have? They weren’t involved in the development of Death Stranding, the original Strand game which preceded the entire genre we all know and love.

Between making up things wholecloth to get mad about in Alan wake 2 and this you have some serious problems dude lol.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I need to find the clicker so I can click this terrible misunderstanding of video games out the thread

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm actually pretty sure it's literally not a game instead some kind of interactive multimedia product.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

idontpost69 posted:

I'm actually pretty sure it's literally not a game instead some kind of interactive multimedia product.
Hideo Kojima's OD: Ascension

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I feel like in the same way you shouldn't attribute the creation of a game entirely to an "auteur" director because they didn't personally make the vast majority of the game you also probably shouldn't attribute a marketing gimmick trying to sell a game based on it's director either. Kojima didn't program Death Stranding and he also didn't write the copy about how new and revolutionary some system in it was

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Want to play schlock slop Outlast but I ain't spending 20 bills on that poo poo.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Glagha posted:

I feel like in the same way you shouldn't attribute the creation of a game entirely to an "auteur" director because they didn't personally make the vast majority of the game you also probably shouldn't attribute a marketing gimmick trying to sell a game based on it's director either. Kojima didn't program Death Stranding and he also didn't write the copy about how new and revolutionary some system in it was
I mean I’d agree with you if other spox were the ones laying it on thick, but he was the guy out there saying it. Maybe there are marketing doyens who’ve really pushed the auteur line hard, but Kojima has never struck me as reluctant or insincere in his public statements.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 9, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I can't believe Kojima stole the concept of a third person game from FromSoft, the inventors of third person games.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

He's just mad that Remedy beat him to it

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Hidetaka Miyazaki and Hideo Kojima locked in a eons-long battle, each using their personal time machine to try and create a timeline where they were the first to invent video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I need to find the clicker so I can click this terrible misunderstanding of video games out the thread

You can't change the story like that, people have to act in character.